what's the next step?

geriko521

Hello everyone! I would like some advice from very experienced people on Ark. I have always played solo in pvp and now after having made my experiences and having come up with a method to not lose everything I find myself with a metal base in a cave, alone with 4 gun machines and 100 bullets for each of these. what's the next step? my cave has no defensive walls but only metal pointed walls because I would need too much metal to cover the entrance and for now I have no dinosaurs. What do you suggest me? Do you think I need dinosaurs to defend the base or are you trying to cover the entrance somehow? 😀

You'll want as many turrets as possible, and you want to cover the whole entrance with a metal wall behind the turrets. Dinosaurs won't help you defend, they'll be slain very quickly by raiders. If you need massive amounts of metal you'll have to tame an ankylosaurs, and an argent is the best thing to carry it with assuming you're playing on the island. You can also plant some plant species X, they're also a turret. Tame a dung beetle to make fertilizer for them.

Also remember caves are often popular targets and usually 6x damage. Honestly solo and especially if you are new, it would be better to find a rathole. Other than that make sure you have as many heavy turrets as you can, different ranges and make a few player only. Use plant x and place some spam around your base to stop anyone building close. If you are going to use tames to defend, either try some hidden (like purlovia) or turret mode velos but most of your defence will be turrets.

16 minutes ago, Yggdrassil said:

Also remember caves are often popular targets and usually 6x damage. Honestly solo and especially if you are new, it would be better to find a rathole. Other than that make sure you have as many heavy turrets as you can, different ranges and make a few player only. Use plant x and place some spam around your base to stop anyone building close. If you are going to use tames to defend, either try some hidden (like purlovia) or turret mode velos but most of your defence will be turrets.

While i appreciate the sentiment of trying to help a newb, turrets are pointless as a solo. It's not worth going through the turret grind because no amount of turrets can keep you safe as a solo.

There's always gonna be stacked multi member tribes out there that can easily soak whatever turrets you put up. Unless you plan on playing 24 hours a day, forego turrets and focus on staying hidden and as small as possible. 

50 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

While i appreciate the sentiment of trying to help a newb, turrets are pointless as a solo. It's not worth going through the turret grind because no amount of turrets can keep you safe as a solo.

There's always gonna be stacked multi member tribes out there that can easily soak whatever turrets you put up. Unless you plan on playing 24 hours a day, forego turrets and focus on staying hidden and as small as possible. 

Can you really stay hidden on official? (assuming OP is on official) I don't think pvp is even viable without a lot of time commitment, you will be found by someone roaming with a parasaur or searching hidden spots. You will get raided either way, turrets may make it so people waste more resources or have to think twice before raiding. Ultimately they give you some time to defend what you have but official isn't really the place for solo, small tribes are a bit better.

Staying hidden (with like no tames or anything because you have to be as small as possible) seems like....well...not really playing the game, what's the point? You can't advance to be able to kill the alphas so how is just playing like a scared bunny any fun? I am not meaning any offence here, I honestly don't understand why that seems at all appealing, why someone would bother to keep playing like that with no hope for advancement. 

10 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

Can you really stay hidden on official? (assuming OP is on official) I don't think pvp is even viable without a lot of time commitment, you will be found by someone roaming with a parasaur or searching hidden spots. You will get raided either way, turrets may make it so people waste more resources or have to think twice before raiding. Ultimately they give you some time to defend what you have but official isn't really the place for solo, small tribes are a bit better.

Dont leave tames out and dont use the same played out rat holes that everyone uses. You can definitely stay hidden for long periods of time if your careful and creative.... but yeah inevitably you will probably get found.

33 minutes ago, Yggdrassil said:

Because if you don't you won't have any stuff to advance with. 

This.

8 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Staying hidden (with like no tames or anything because you have to be as small as possible) seems like....well...not really playing the game, what's the point? You can't advance to be able to kill the alphas so how is just playing like a scared bunny any fun? I am not meaning any offence here, I honestly don't understand why that seems at all appealing, why someone would bother to keep playing like that with no hope for advancement. 

You can still have tames... cryopods are a thing.

You can still advance. I'm doing beta valguero this weekend.

You can still go raid and play aggressively, it just helps to have a stash to come back to.

Staying off the radar doesnt mean having a one room shack with no dinos and cloth gear. It's possible to prosper in the shadows, its just really hard.

Here's a bit of a long guide as someone who played pvp on official both solo and in megatribes for about 5k hrs, and I'm gonna assume you have all DLCs :

You don't need farming dinos or even much farming AT ALL if you have genesis, just farm the easiest missions over and over on empty servers and buy stuff. Forget caves as they hold almost no value when you don't use them for dino storage and the 6x dmg makes even a solid little base too easy to rocket run.

Despite what people say I still recommend having a couple of heavies so you're not a super easy grief, 4 on hatchframes 4 on the ground on top of a very small metal box is fine. This number makes it hard for someone without a proper griefing kit to blow up your base. Not many ppl walk around with multiple capped flak sets and beers or soakers on them.

Genesis missions will also provide some weapons so you don't have to slave away farming 24/7 to gear up. PVP dinos are good to have, but you also 1000% won't be able to compete with mega bred lines and capped saddles most official megatribes player can pull up on you. Don't even try to fight on even terms with lv450 rhinos, gigas, velos, etc.

Dino-wise I recommend getting a crystal wyvern (tropical is best imo) as they are insanely easy to tame and they are the best "bang for your buck" tame in the game : fast taming, good for pve, decent for pvp and decent as a farming support. Velonasaur is 100% mandatory as well, it is good to run caves for BPs and loot, not to mention you can breed them very fast and even a half decent pocket velo can surprise and kill players you get the drop on.

Kit-wise I would recommend to always have a shotty with ammo, bolas, chutes, narc nades, a pocket heavy with some ARB and 1-2 charge batteries. Tagging someone and kiting them to your heavy is often a free kit (think to put them at a decent height so you can hit ppl on giga if you tag them doing a meatrun). Same with narc nades, nobody expects them and even tho you will probably miss half of them, if you tag someone they are 100% fcked. Nobody runs around with a gas mask if not on a proper raid. Try to catch people on meatruns, look out for capped servers as you can run interference on server wipes, or even ninja loot as bases get raided. Hell you might even get invited to a raid party on accident. (seen that happen a few times, never tried to do it myself tho)

Point is : people will have better gear and dinos than you, don't try to fight head on. Be sneaky, use surprise and unfair tactics. A lot of megatribes players aren't geared for pvp 24/7, some aren't even good at pvp tbh.

The cloud is your best friend. If you have anything of value DON'T STORE IT IN YOUR BASE, upload it! Yes this means resetting all your stuff every 24hrs, but this is the solo life.

Now we get to the part that isn't cut and dry : interacting with people on your server. There isn't a cookie-cutter recipe unfortunately. I just wanna say that some megatribes aren't full of assholes. Just try your luck, set up a small base and try to ask the alpha if they don't mind you having a small bob shack on their server. Sure, 80% of them will tell you to piss off and wipe you, but somewhere down the line you MIGHT find a server where people will, if not help you, then at least ignore you. If the alpha agrees to you staying on their server the chances of being wiped go down significantly.

There we go, hope this helps. Imo Genesis has made the game really good for solo players, even on official. You probably won't get to tek without tribing up or getting a server alpha you "befriended" to get you a spot, however.

Fill up the turets with ammo I can soak your 100 rounds fast while you go make lunch and fully wipe your base.  Also if they aren't Heavies and you are not level 100 yet then get to level 100, and put as the above person mentioned turrets on hatch frames up high as well as down on the ground.  Put 1/2 normal autos up high set to tames only to hopefully shoot c4 off of dinos when they try to c4 run your cave.  Put bear traps down as well and have plant Y ready to spam.

Oh if there's enough room to squeeze in a giga then shove one by the entrance if they manage to push in far enough and more heavies in that area as well so you can just bit.  Otherwise get some Theri's with good health and melee if you need to hop on them, and a Bloodstalker to yank people and pull them into your kill zone and farm them for gear.

On 2/3/2021 at 2:28 AM, St1ckyBandit said:

You can still have tames... cryopods are a thing.

You can still advance. I'm doing beta valguero this weekend.

You can still go raid and play aggressively, it just helps to have a stash to come back to.

Staying off the radar doesnt mean having a one room shack with no dinos and cloth gear. It's possible to prosper in the shadows, its just really hard.

But how do you even get anything grown enough to be able to fight the bosses? I am raising baby gigas right now and I keep them in my base (PVE) when I have them out but they just stand there growing slowly and so far I havent had to go get meat but that's because of fridges, soon I will have to go out for meat and that would make me exposed on PVP as well as having these slow growing babies out. 

23 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

But how do you even get anything grown enough to be able to fight the bosses? I am raising baby gigas right now and I keep them in my base (PVE) when I have them out but they just stand there growing slowly and so far I havent had to go get meat but that's because of fridges, soon I will have to go out for meat and that would make me exposed on PVP as well as having these slow growing babies out. 

I personally use a sky quetz to raise 3-4 rexes at a time. Havent had someone find my quetz yet.

I mean its PvP. Whenever you go out to do anything you're exposed to attack.

Hi guys! thank you all for your help, i was building in a pearl cave and i followed many of your warnings like staying stealthy being creative putting bear traps many turrets and a wall for the entrance i built more than 14 turrets one wall to cover the entrance and I was going to create a wall of death. i had scattered many beds around the island and unfortunately almost every time i entered the server my turrets my beds and a smithy in the cave including the foundations magically disappeared without leaving any trace on the tribe log this happened 3 times and i don't think it is a bug unfortunately there was some hackers on the server so I gave up and I left the server too I am a programmer and it saddens me very much to see people who make the wrong use of their skills anyway it was a good experience and it is was also thanks to your help thanks again for everything 👍

Archived