Are Arthropleuras and the Broodmother supposed to one-shot?

TigerJackie

We're playing with a friend on a private dedicated server I made, so PvE, with the various settings tweaked to account for it, at difficult 1.0 without the 'Maximum difficulty' checkbox ticked. I'm currently full Flak armor, upgraded to Ascendant for all pieces, sitting at 4200 armor.

Yet, the Arthropleuras, when they use their melee attack, take half my health. Other dinos, even a lvl 120 T-Rex attacking me, don't do any damage.. or nearly any. Only Arthropleuras. I know about their acid spit but this is just raw damage with all armor intact.

There's also the Broodmother. Considering ARK says it's a lvl 70 endeavor, I thought we'd be fine at difficulty 1.0 with 4k armor, but it killed me in a literal single hit, as well as all our dinos we brought with us.

Is this normal or is there some sort of bug going on with the mods, or perhaps some bad setting? We don't use any mods that interact with the creatures to modify them,
apart from taming.

The mods are: Pet Finder, MarniiMods: Wildlife, Ultra Stacks, Structures Plus, Pillars Plus, Immerive Taming, Bridge, Wooden Hanging Bridge, Platforms Plus and Upgrade Station.

We are both new to ARK and don't know much about the game so please no hate

For Arthopluera I believe they not only eat your flak in a few shots, but also bypass armor.  Avoid melee attacking them, and avoid their spit, also if you use a ranged weapon and shoot them in the head they can be 1/2 shot practically as head damage multiplies damage recieved.

For a boss you want several things:

Mate Boost as this reduces damage taken and increases damage done

Yutyrannus buff as this further helps amplify damage done and lowers damage recieved

Rider bonus for those that raised their dino so you get that bonus 30% to damage and lower damage recieved.  Plus with breeding if at 100% imprint you get more stats as well.

And potentially a Daedon for healing as well

The broodmother strategy that can work is using Megatherium that are mate boosted, with at least 75-80 armor minimum, and you or your friend tanking the boss by moving into it as close as possible.  The reason for this is because the closer you are to the center of the broodmother the higher the chance is for it to focus on you and you alone.  You also want to get the bug buff by killing the spiders it drops by spamming right click which is an AOE attack.  Ideally your friend wil be buffing you and your megatheriums with the Yuty, and hopping off to heal you with the Daedon while staying back as far as they can from the boss.  They might also want a Megetherium near them to help them kill spiders.  Anyway, this strat with 15k health and around 500% melee on Megatheriums will work even on Alpha Broodmother, but ideally you'll want at least 4/5 people on bred Megatheriums to make it a smoother fight.  

Hope this helps!

One thing first: I use Super Structures, but I read that S+ integrated some of the other "Plus" mods into it in the latest major update. Maybe that Platforms and Pillars + are redundant and can cause some shenanigans (read the mod descriptions to sort any issues). Is not a mod issue at all in your case.

Now, being smashed in one shot on foot by the broodmother is fine (what do you expect to happen when you walk around a boss arena?). But dinos? What is your setup? What is the boss difficulty (gamma, beta or alpha?)? She is not a "lvl 70" endeavor at all (Dinos make bosses, not players - your level only means you can now tame and ride other dinos)... If you are playing in difficult 5 (aka lvl 150 max dinos, 225 perfect tamed, but 140 in the Island if you are not using the "OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5" in your [ServerSettings]) you can easily reach, p.ex., lvl 300 with a little breeding and those guys also will be flattened by the boss in Alpha difficulty if you are doing everything wrong.

You don't have much choice for bosses. Rexes and Yutyrannus are essential tames for bosses (don't listen to hipsters, this combo is good for any boss besides the Dragon - and latter on you can use them on other maps and save you some days of your life). And also breeding and imprinting for extra stats. Mutations are good, but not essential; saddles, sadly, are. You won't survive the Alpha fight with primitive saddles. And remember one thing: the Broodmother on the Island is one of the toughest fights in Ark. 

Archived