caverns of lost hope difficulty? (official PVE)

heliantha

The caverns of the lost hope, aka the eastern / hard underwater cave on the island, is the one cave I have not visited yet, aside from the tek cave. People on my server tell horror stories about this cave, and how they lost their prized underwater mounts in there. However, they also tell horror stories about the western underwater cave, and I did not find that one particularly hard, so I'm a bit confused (I know that western is easier). I looked at youtube videos, however I only found old ones (like two years old), and I know that the difficulty has been adapted a few times since then, plus most videos are singleplayer or private server stuff.

Anyway, I would be going in with my buddy. We have a mate boosted pair of basilos, with 50k life and 580% melee, each of them 100% imprinted to one of us. They have ascended saddles with ~102 armor. Can we risk it or should we stay away?

I did both caves with a basilo wild tame with worst stats than that, but .. very carefully.

The issue with those caves is that you can get overwhelmed easily and get stuck in the middle of a bunch of dunkles and alphas, and this is how usually people lose their tames in my experience. Key is slowly and steady and try not to agro too much at the same time.

Important to consider that someone's experience doing said caves may vary widely, since there are some factors in play. Like which alphas and how many you're going to have to face ( megalodons, mosa, tuso .. ), which is basically just RNG afaik, and how populated the cave is ( if someone did the cave earlier, you may find it half populated and wrongly assume it's trivial cave ).

This is to say, someone may tell you that it is easy, and someone else may tell you it's hard, simply because they ran into different scenarios.

I did it regularly in the past with a average bred basilo with average hp, stam and melee, with apprentice saddle and most points into speed, few into stam. Then i just sprint pass the creatures there all the way to the artifact, kill any that managed to enter the artifact chamber with me, and sprint out after taking it.

I was lucky enough to have an experienced survivor act as a guide for the very reasons posted above. While using Basilo's its important to kite the alpha Megalodons away a kill away from the Dunkleosteus. If you do aggro the Dunkles retreat out of the cave. Rinse and repeat until all the Megs are gone. Quite tedious but effective way of getting the artifact. The above water part of the caverns were cleared with Thylo's.

I returned later using a Karkinos (crab), I walked right through both parts of the cave unimpeded. Only creatures that attacked my tame were Piranhas and the small lobsters. The Piranhas were easy beached on surface parts of the cave and the lobsters were killed well away from other threats. Only time anything aggros is when you dismount the crab to pick up the artifact.

23 minutes ago, 2OLEgend said:

ures that attacked my tame were Piranhas and the small lobsters. The Piranhas were easy beached on surface parts of the cave and the lobsters were killed well away from other threats. Only time anything aggros is when you dismount the crab to pick up the artifact.

That sounds intriguing. I'll drag my buddy into the cave this weekend, and, if it's too tedious / dangerous, I might just hop over to CI and tame my first crab :D It's been on my ark-todo list for a while now.

I did not consider how random the alpha spawns might be. Alpha megalodons are fine, but if we run into a high level tuso or mosa, I think we're screwed with our low damage basilos. We do have 2 bred/imprinted lvl 150 tusos, but only primtive saddles, and I've not had much luck with tusos in the past. (Nearly got mine killed by a small swarm of eels that somehow gut stuck inside the tusos head, what a shock... 😉)

Archived