Personally, one of the most exciting things wildcard has done as of late, has been the TLCs. Each one of them has done fantastic things to creatures that needed it desperately, and each one has made the game overall better. With the latest TLC 3 giving fantastic changes to the Mammoth and Stego that were desperately needed. However, I feel more are definitely needed. As long as we have to ask the question of "what do I do with this creature" or "wow that is ugly" then things should be different. So, I've made a list of creatures that I think deserve it the most, as well as some of my ideas. Keep in mind, this my personal opinion and there are likely more creatures that deserve a TLC of their own.

10. Giga

OKAY OKAY OKAY! DON'T LEAVE! Hear me out. In its current state, the Giga is 3 things. Really strong, ugly, and somewhat underwhelming. For example, why are the claws the same greens and browns as the skin? That's really weird. On top of overall semi-outdated texturing, the Giga needs at the very least a visual update. On top of that, perhaps a new ability? the Giga already has rage, but rage seems somewhat unnecessary in my eyes. Perhaps it could be reworked into something that benefits the player instead of hinder them. This would also make the wild Giga's higher stats more understandable. 

9.  Anglerfish

Why would you tame an Angler? Seriously, the only benefit is its light and pearl gathering. It's more useful to just kill for the gel and be on your way. Although, I feel we can improve it by adjusting that whole "pearl" thing. Lets make it the PERFECT deep sea gathering creature. Up the pearls more, and decreases the pearl's weight while on the angler more so. On top of that, we could also make the angler passively generate angler gel, making taming them a more consistent method of gathering then just killing them. They could also use a visual update, as their bodies make them like almost like weird piranhas.

8.  Dilophosaurus

The Dilo is one of Ark's oldest creatures, and personally, I think it needs some love. Maybe we could up it in size a little, with some minor adjustments to stats to go with it. With its larger size, they should be ride-able. Then give it an increase in hide, chitin, and keratin gathering and bingo! Early game gathering creature! With this, it would also make sense to tone down the spawn rates to accommodate the better states and utility.

7.  Pachycephalosaurus

Pachys are fun to use with their charge, and the good things stop their. The fact that the HORSE does more torpor is very odd to me. Really, the only changes can I personally can see them getting is an increased damage reduction on the head, MASSIVELY increased torpor damage, and maybe a stun effect if the charge hits? I think with these changes Pachys still may not be the most useful creature out there, but they would be WAY more fun and enjoyable to use.

6. Scorpion

The Scorpion is in a very similar spot to the Pachy. A torpor creature that just doesn't do that much torpor. Although I think we all can agree that the Scorpion is in abit worse of a spot. However, what is they became a spoiled meat gatherer? Think of it, perhaps the venom from its claws and tail could make it gather a "tainted meat" instead of raw meat, that could be used in place of spoiled meat. Generally, spoiled meat is pretty easy to come by, just kill something and wait. I think the some would prefer to cut out the "wait" aspect.

5. Pachyrhinosaurus (P.S. Things are about to HEAVILY detailed

Moving on from one "Pachy" to another, the Pachyrhino is just a worse trike. Pachyrhinos are less common, have worse stats, and dont have a charge. The only reason why someone would want the Pachyrhino would maybe be because of the 2 person saddle. While it's unique gas ability, is borderline useless. Sure, the deagro gas is fairly good, until you get into PvP or accidentally run into a Rex. The other gas, is just awful. The rare flower's agro effect is good because YOU are the target. In the Pachyrhino's gas, its the Pachyrhino that becomes the target. And with its only decent health pool, slow speed, and low melee, you turn yourself into a walking punching bag with no real defense outside of the second rider's weapons. So, how do we fix it. Well first off, change the gases. Replace them with two things. First, make one gas have the ability to give you and nearby allied players insulation against temperature, and other creatures a damage resistance. This will come into play later. Next, instead of a gas, give it a slow, short ranged projectile that is similar to the mud or snow thrown by Chalicos. The projectile will do moderate damage BUT will give its target a "flammability" effect, making the target take double or even triple the fire damage then before. This is also where the second rider becomes most useful, as they can come equipped with any flame related weapon. This effect should also act almost like an oil jar when applied to structures. They should also give the Pachyrhino the ability to damage stone and a heavy increase in damage, as in life that's essentially what its nose plate was. This also leads into visuals. Like I said, Pachyrhinos need a much larger nose plate. After all "Pachyrhinosaurus" literally means "thick nosed lizard". Although, the "lizard" aspect doesn't mean much as it needs feathers. This may come as a chock, but Pachyrhinos may have had more feathers then thing like triceratops as they lived as far north as alaska which still would have snowed even in the cretaceous period. This means that Pachyrhinos should also spawn in some colder areas on top of where they currently do. Places like the snow biomes or even redwoods. This is why the insulation gas would be useful. To not completely over shadow the trike, reduce or remove it ability to gather berries, thus making trikes the superior gatherer.

4. Pelagornis

The Pelagornis is two things. A fairly unique but overshadowed flyer, and maybe the only creature that I will refer to using its full name. In saying that, the Pelagornis has the potential to be a truly unique flyer. It already can do something that no other flyer can, swim. You can also go fishing while they're on the surface of the water, which is a nice touch. Despite this, there is absolutely no actual reason to tame a Pelagornis over other flyers. To fix this, a number of things should be done. I think the simplest should be the addition of a dive ability. While the Pelagornis is on the water, you should be able to preform a short dive under water that will allow you to freely swim for a short time similar to modern sea birds. During this time, the Pelagornis should have an even bigger damage increase against sea life. On top of this, it wouldn't hurt to give it the ability to gather prime fish meat more effectively. This would make taming things like Spinos much easier. The dive's overall duration could also be increased with upgrades to oxygen or maybe stamina. I think that with  the addition of an overall increase in stamina and weight, the Pelagornis will get the recognition it deserves. As it might just be the least used flyer in the game.

3. Paraceratherium

The Paracer is just a worse Bronto. Plain and simple. The Paracer is quite literally just a Bronto on a budget. There are 2 reasons someone would tame this creature. First, they are lazy and don't what to put in work for a Bronto. If these people even exist, I do not respect them. The Second, is that you simply enjoy the creature itself and find the real version interesting. I am the second. In life, Paracers were the second largest mammal to ever live, and they are the largest mammal that is found in game. So, you'd think they'd be a little more distinct from Ark's other long necked platform creatures. I don't think it should be a diet Bronto, I think should be a siege Bronto. With the addition of some new attacks to cover a larger area, and  increased health and weight, the Paracer could be quite useful. Health in specific should be HEAVILY increased, and the structure limit should also be increased. Combine this with a weight reduction on things like ammo and structures, and its utility would be quite good. You could also combine this with the ability to maybe transfer things straight from the Paracer's inventory to a storage box for easy access while inside your new mobile base. As exiting may put you at disadvantage in a fight. Now give it the ability to damage stone and heck, maybe even metal, and suddenly Paracers are a force to be reckoned with. Also give it improved textures and especially animations.

2. Araneo

The Spider sucks. It can't attack that much, it doesn't have much damage, its not fast, and it can't carry anything. All of these stats should be buffed to be more on par or even surpassing other creatures. As spiders are much harder to acquire then other creatures, this makes sense. On top of this, I think some sort of venom of the spiders bite should be implemented. Maybe as just torpor, or even an acid that makes you take lingering damage to a small extent. And most importantly of all, MAKE IT CLIMB! The fact that a giant lizard and a koala dressed up as a cat can climb more then a literal spider makes me visibly angry. Giving it the Megalania's or even Thylac's ability to climb would make this creature miles more versatile then it currently is. In it's current state, the spider is one of Ark's most USELESS creatures, only saved by the fact that it can be riden at all. An updated model would also be very welcome, and the head barely even looks like a spider.

1. Carnotaurus

The Carno might just be Ark's most overshadowed creature. You want a fast carnivore? Tame a terror bird, raptor, dire wolf, sabertooth, or even a baryonyx. You want a strong creature? Tame a Rex, Spino, Megalo, dire bear, thylac, or even a sarco. The point I'm trying to make is that the Carno is just boring. Everysingle aspect of the Carno is done better in nearly every other creature out there. Because of this, they are (in my opinion) the single most deserving creature of a TLC. And as it turns out, Wildcard did give it some attention last TLC update. However, I strongly believe that it shouldn't be just a minor addition in the patch notes, but instead a main inclusion in TLC 4. And to see what we'd change, just look at reality for inspiration. Because the Carnotaurus is known by some as the "cheetah of the cretaceous" for a reason. This is because the Carno was FAST. almost every adaption in this animal's body looked like it had something to do with going faster. So I think it should first off get a HUGE increase to speed and have a similar effect as bears and rhinos in game. That being, the longer the creature runs, that faster it goes. With this, it could also have a charge like the Wooly Rhino but to a MUCH lesser extent. The more charge the Carno gains, the more damage its headbutt attack should do, and the longer the bleed should last. I also think the Carno should have some way of hitting things behind it. Perhaps a slight kick with the side appropriate foot that does decent knockback but low damage so the Carno can get to running again. I strongly believe that even if these abilities don't end up making it that good, it'll still be a fun and unique creature. It's model should also be made much more slender and streamlined to accommodate this.

All in all, I believe each one of these creatures deserves a little wildcard love. This game is great, and I can only hope that my ideas might make it just a little bit better.

Sincerely

PyroThePithecus

9 minutes ago, trumperyship20 said:

I agree with this alot, the pelagornis is really underappreciated, along with the spider and carno. But another thing you should have added was maybe to fix the model for them.

This is true, but thats more of a bug to be fixed then an underlying preoblem with the creature design itself

I like most of this but I have to strongly disagree with what you say about the paracer. It's already way better than the bronto imo, it's much faster and its smaller size makes it much easier to maneuver and lets it build a canons/ramps that aren't 100 ft off the ground.  PvP wise its already a powerful soaker, and giving it more hp and the ability to stomp turrets and metal is pretty ridiculous. I think it could just use a buff to movement speed, being the lightest of the platform saddle gang.

Bronto's model and animations are pretty outdated. It does very little damage for something so big. It doesn't do much useful besides being another piece of meat to absorb turret fire, mobile bases are too risky and can't carry enough weight. It's too impractical for hauling cargo or a mobile resource farming station because its so slow.

3 minutes ago, Thyme said:

PvP wise its already a powerful soaker, and giving it more hp and the ability to stomp turrets and metal is pretty ridiculous. I think it could just use a buff to movement speed, being the lightest of the platform saddle gang.

I get what you're saying, and I debated putting the bronto on this list. And the metal thing does seem like overkill on closer examination. However, I do have to disagree on the other aspects. Brontos should get some kind of damage buff, however, the sheer health and accessibility still make up for that. I include accessibility because I think things like taming methods and biome location play at least a small factor picking creatures. Paracers simply don't have that. They have one of the lowest structure limits of any platform creature, and I really don't see what you mean by a "powerful soaker". I'm not trying to jab or anything, I'm just genuinely curious, as to my understanding it still get shredded by turrets. Paracers also don't deal too much damage and just get bodied by any other large creature. Once again, I agree that brontos do deserve a little wildcard love, but in my mind it just makes more sense for the paracer. I am very glad that we're able to have this conversation tho lol

I don't want the Angler to gather more pearls because, as it is now, I only go out to gather pearls twice a year. Yes, that means I've gathered pearls with an Angler fewer than 10 times.

I would love the Angler to generate gel or have some other 'snail-like' purpose.  Perhaps they have a brighter under-water light or you get the scuba mask benefit while riding them. Maybe they preserve organic material longer.  They need something, to be sure, but +pearl harvest is not interesting in the least to me.  I'd like an incentive to ride it more often. 

As for Carnos, I feel they fall into a growing list of dinos that need TLC along with direwolf, scorpion, pachy, etc. That said, this entire list gives me another idea.

Before Ark was officially released it kept us playing by announcing new dinos regularly.  A steady flow of new dinos somehow made up for the holes in the world, the disapearing dinos, the crashes, the testicles on female cats, etc.  So, what if WildCard began to re-release dinos instead of making new ones.  (Yes, I know they've done this before to some extent) A steady flow of re-made dinos would be interesting to me.  One every two months perhaps? 

48 minutes ago, PyroThePithecus7 said:

I get what you're saying, and I debated putting the bronto on this list. And the metal thing does seem like overkill on closer examination. However, I do have to disagree on the other aspects. Brontos should get some kind of damage buff, however, the sheer health and accessibility still make up for that. I include accessibility because I think things like taming methods and biome location play at least a small factor picking creatures. Paracers simply don't have that. They have one of the lowest structure limits of any platform creature, and I really don't see what you mean by a "powerful soaker". I'm not trying to jab or anything, I'm just genuinely curious, as to my understanding it still get shredded by turrets. Paracers also don't deal too much damage and just get bodied by any other large creature. Once again, I agree that brontos do deserve a little wildcard love, but in my mind it just makes more sense for the paracer. I am very glad that we're able to have this conversation tho lol

The reason the paracer structure limit is so low is because of how good they are in pvp, people already have builds that basically block most incoming damage as it is. With a higher structure limit you'll be seeing much worse builds. Keep in mind that in pvp you aren't talking about tamed paracers, but bred up lines with 100k+ hp that can soak for days with no risk to the rider who can be safely tucked away in a metal box up top. Giving them the ability to break turrets and metal structures would be one of the worst possible balance changes you could make. You said you wanted them to be "siege brontos" and that's essentially what they are in pvp clusters.

That being said the only thing I want from TLC 4 is breedable rock drakes.

21 hours ago, carbonark said:

The reason the paracer structure limit is so low is because of how good they are in pvp, people already have builds that basically block most incoming damage as it is. With a higher structure limit you'll be seeing much worse builds. Keep in mind that in pvp you aren't talking about tamed paracers, but bred up lines with 100k+ hp that can soak for days with no risk to the rider who can be safely tucked away in a metal box up top. Giving them the ability to break turrets and metal structures would be one of the worst possible balance changes you could make. You said you wanted them to be "siege brontos" and that's essentially what they are in pvp clusters.

23 hours ago, Thyme said:

I like most of this but I have to strongly disagree with what you say about the paracer. It's already way better than the bronto imo, it's much faster and its smaller size makes it much easier to maneuver and lets it build a canons/ramps that aren't 100 ft off the ground.  PvP wise its already a powerful soaker, and giving it more hp and the ability to stomp turrets and metal is pretty ridiculous. I think it could just use a buff to movement speed, being the lightest of the platform saddle gang.

Bronto's model and animations are pretty outdated. It does very little damage for something so big. It doesn't do much useful besides being another piece of meat to absorb turret fire, mobile bases are too risky and can't carry enough weight. It's too impractical for hauling cargo or a mobile resource farming station because its so slow.

OKAY, I would have replied sooner, but I hit my daily post limit. So, now that I can, I need to thank you both. I've played ark for YEARS now ever since it first came out on Xbox, and somehow I never knew about just how busted Paracer platforms were. You all telling me this made me do some research and even test out some designs I found online. And yeah, they're actually REALLY GOOD. Although I do still think the Paracer deserves a visual upgrade, I think other platform creatures like Brontos or maybe even the Quetz are much more worthy of a TLC now that I've looked into it. Once again, I seriously can't thank you guys enough.

Happy to help, to be fair racers tend to only find use towards the endgame side of ark content so it's easy to understand how you could miss it. That and the fact that people intentionally try to keep some of that quiet when it comes to certain builds since it's technically illegal to use some of those types of builds and if people don't know about it exploiters can get away with it longer.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, carbonark said:

im late but yes breedable rock drakes , and maybe a little bit faster attack stronger too

As far as facelifts goes, I am cool with large animals like the Giga and Bronto to be updated. Because they are so large, you can tell they are really stiff and old. After the Rex and Trike revisions (two species I really like), I can certainly say that a Giga update would be really awesome.

I would add Plesio's face to the list too, everything else is fine but that face feels really odd. 

they have already TLC the megalodon and carno and the tlc was good and much needed upgrade the giga does not need a tlc huge dam with huge hit box and can be delt with using the correct tames for the job..... but the Mosa is weak the only thing it really has going for it is a platform saddle and the tek saddle but as far as abilities damage movement or special abilities it has none. it is easily pinned and can be grabbed by the squid so easily delt with could use a upgrade......

meg doesnt have tlc yet. and uhm im not saying gigas or titans need buffs im just saying they arnt like very usefull anymore. when they were first added people ran in fear from them but now you can kill them with a megatherium and tame them quite easily with soothing balms. also the meg and carno tlc were just pack bonuses, not new models or buffs. i do agree with you on the mosa tho

Re: the Dilophosaur, the ones we have in-game were basically ripped from the (wildly inaccurate) Jurassic Park version. IRL, Dilophosaurus was much bigger (7-10 feet tall, over 15ft long), likely didn't have neck frills, and may or may not have been venomous (but wouldn't have been able to spit it if it was).

But I kind of like them the way they are in the game. Fairly easy starter tame... tame several and form a small army you can sic on bigger critters.

Definitely rock drakes being breedable - that would be my number 1 ask. They are the only draconis type that can't and also the hardest by far for gathering eggs. In addition, Karkinos and Basilisk breeding would be really appreciated too.

A giga facelift would be nice but otherwise I think they're in a good place.

A few quality of life changes: mating on/off whistle.

Please fix the megalosaurus grab attack priority bug.

Could we please get seasonable changes back for winter and autumn events, I was really disappointed at the lack of white/fall trees this year though I love events.

An inventory screen update that shows dino wild-domestic point distribution. 90% of the confusion I see from new players trying to understand breeding is lack of ability to see point distribution. It does not need to be a tek tier item, it needs to be available to the beach bobs so they understand an essential game mechanic more easily.

• 1 month later...

I think the Bronto could be buffed for crowd control in pvp (perhaps a stun chance when hit in addition to knockback), and also perhaps be brought in line with paracers soaking capability.  Hardly see this thing used in pvp anymore cause it's already slow and a worse soaker, and can't really fit into caves that well also.

Plesio might need reworking don't see it used much

Dolphin could operate like an underwater parasaur with echolocation and perhaps provide underwater utility in some way.

Pteranodon could use perhaps some love or adjustments

Agree that the plesiosaur is underused; maybe give it some kind of ally buffing effect, making it the yuty of the sea, or something.  Pteranodons are just fine though; they work well both as Bob's first flyer, and even in the later game their speed & size makes them useful for leading other flyers into traps. Think of the wyvern milking traps that use double door frames. 

Archived