Baby starvation question for Breeders

St1ckyBandit

Any advanced breeders out there have tips on how to avoid the starvation bug ? I just lost 4 rexes and I'm getting a bit tired of dealing with these set backs.

I had 5 maturing overnight from baby stage. Just signed in to check them before I left for work this morning and 4 starved, right when I rendered into the base.

The 5th was in juvenile stage with about 7 stacks of cooked meat left. When I got off last night I left them all with roughly 13-14 stacks of cooked meat.

If they all starved thats one thing, but I've encounted this multiple times now. I know it's gotta be a bug, just not sure how to work around it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in a tribe with a breeder with lots of experience, here are some tips:

NEVER leave babies out over night, they will certainly have a higher chance of death if you re not monitoring them.

If you need to leave asap and you have babies out, use cryopods, they are cheap to make and you can make in any drop or obelisk.

If your dealing with juvis put them at least 10 foundations wide and deep from the troughs, I left a bunch of juvis out and left to go get something from ext for only 15 mins, they all died because they were out of range.

What I think happened was your juveniles were a little out of range of your troughs, and they ate their food first. Your 5th rex ate the food in the trough BEFORE the stuff in its inventory, and the others ate the food in their inventory and then starved. Take this in mind when placing your structures. Hope this helps. 

There are a few possibilities. It sounds like you didn't have them on troughs, and instead had food in their inventories. If I'm reading your post right, they were still in the baby stage with food in their inventories when you logged off and should have reached juvenile sometime overnight.

One possibility is that the 4 that starved may have reached juvenile and if there was a trough nearby at that point could have become "trough locked" which is a bug that still happens where a baby won't switch over to other nearby troughs or eat food in its inventory when the current trough its on is empty.

It is also possible that as keynote said they just didn't have enough food for the full night and weren't close enough to the troughs. On suggestion I would make there is to use raw meat over cooked meat. Even though it spoils faster it provides so much more food per piece that even with spoilage it's always better to use raw over cooked. I've set up many baby rexes to raise overnight with 2-3 rows of raw meat and they've always had plenty leftover by morning.

3 hours ago, Keynote378 said:

I'm in a tribe with a breeder with lots of experience, here are some tips:

NEVER leave babies out over night, they will certainly have a higher chance of death if you re not monitoring them.

If you need to leave asap and you have babies out, use cryopods, they are cheap to make and you can make in any drop or obelisk.

If your dealing with juvis put them at least 10 foundations wide and deep from the troughs, I left a bunch of juvis out and left to go get something from ext for only 15 mins, they all died because they were out of range.

What I think happened was your juveniles were a little out of range of your troughs, and they ate their food first. Your 5th rex ate the food in the trough BEFORE the stuff in its inventory, and the others ate the food in their inventory and then starved. Take this in mind when placing your structures. Hope this helps. 

Nothing to do with troughs. There wasn't enough food in them to fully heal each one. Stasis bug.

@St1ckyBandit next time have 2x the food needed to fully mature in troughs, this bug was explained to me awhile ago. It happens because the game calculations your food over the entire duration you were away, they see "need 1000 units of food, there was only 800, dino should be dead" then you login to dead babies fresh bags. Paraphrased that a bit lol

2 hours ago, Piffguru said:

I havent had this happen to me in years, one thing I stopped doing since the last time was leaving a baby to become juvenile overnight. I will get it to juvenile at the minimum before leaving out and I havent had that issue since.

Yeah I didnt want to leave them before they turned to juveys but I was tired and these things take forever to mature. 

I put the same amount of meat in all 5 babies, so either they all should have starved or they all should have been fine. Makes no sense that only one is left standing with like 5 stacks of meat in its inventory still.

I'm certainly no expert breeder, but I think something else happened other than they just starved.

This has happened to me before with other groups of animals I'm raising. I'll divide the food up equally or have it in a trough and when I come back to check on them hours later some have plenty of meat left while others are dead. It's extremely inconsistent. 

16 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Yeah I didnt want to leave them before they turned to juveys but I was tired and these things take forever to mature. 

I put the same amount of meat in all 5 babies, so either they all should have starved or they all should have been fine. Makes no sense that only one is left standing with like 5 stacks of meat in its inventory still.

I'm certainly no expert breeder, but I think something else happened other than they just starved.

This has happened to me before with other groups of animals I'm raising. I'll divide the food up equally or have it in a trough and when I come back to check on them hours later some have plenty of meat left while others are dead. It's extremely inconsistent. 

From what I remember from back in the day when I last had this happen and I researched it, people were saying there were instances where if no one is around to render the dino while it goes from baby to juvi that it will sometimes not switch to eating out of troughs properly. So I always try to be around when they turn juvi or atleast soon after.

Also what D1nk said I believe to be correct too, since I have left render for like 5-10 minutes while raising some gigas and as I was flying back into render they dropped dead on the spot with meat in their inventory. So I am sure that there are instances where the game upon rendering will do the calculations about how much meat was necessary to keep the dino fed during the time it wasnt rendered and so it will just insta kill them even with some meat on them cause the calculations concluded that amount of meat wasnt enough to keep them alive during the unrendered time period.

4 hours ago, Piffguru said:

From what I remember from back in the day when I last had this happen and I researched it, people were saying there were instances where if no one is around to render the dino while it goes from baby to juvi that it will sometimes not switch to eating out of troughs properly. So I always try to be around when they turn juvi or atleast soon after.

Also what D1nk said I believe to be correct too, since I have left render for like 5-10 minutes while raising some gigas and as I was flying back into render they dropped dead on the spot with meat in their inventory. So I am sure that there are instances where the game upon rendering will do the calculations about how much meat was necessary to keep the dino fed during the time it wasnt rendered and so it will just insta kill them even with some meat on them cause the calculations concluded that amount of meat wasnt enough to keep them alive during the unrendered time period.

Breeding is enough of a chore already without all this extra nonsense. 

I hatched 5 more today. Once I get them matured I should have enough for a boss army then I'm done with breeding. 

6 hours ago, L4D2 said:

so you think, be prepared to lose some or even all of your army sooner or later, so many things can go wrong during the fight, things out of your control bug lag dc etc...

Oh I know. I already lost my allo army trying to punch a bit above my weight class. I just need these rexes to do one more run and unlock a particular engram.

Well I can 100% say with certainty there is some kind of starvation bug with maturing animals.

Set up another 5 rexes to leave overnight. This time they were already juvenile. Put a combo of cooked and raw meat into a trough. Then I put roughly 12 stacks of cooked meat in each of their inventory as back up.

Checked em this morning before work and 1 had starved to death while all the others still had 6+ stacks of cooked meat left. All that was left in the death bag was some spoiled meat.

Again either they all should have starved or they all should have lived as I put the same amount of food in each one. I'm thinking the one that starved either refused to eat the meat in its inventory after the trough food ran out or it never ate out of the trough to begin with.

This was all done on a sky quetz so theres no way the dead one was out of range of the trough.

Well I think someone else mentioned it before but there is a thing where there is a maximum amount of dinos that can be fed by a trough, it doesnt sound like you are in that situation to be honest but I would recommend always using more than just 1 trough just to be sure.

Another thing I am wondering if you are familiar with and using crumplecorn? If not then google ark crumplecorn and you should find a breeding calculator. With this you can enter how many dinos you are raising, what type they are, what their current maturation is at, etc. and you can get info on how much food will be needed to get to juvi or total time for the breed. You can extrapolate how long the food will last, how much will spoil over that time, once you use it a bit and get used to it you wont have these issues anymore.

I quit having this bug happen when I started making sure my babies were on passive when they hatched. Babies are hatched with atack my target enabled. sometimes something would get their attention and draw them from trough range. That, and I made sure I never had more than 15 dinos eating off the same trough..counting the grown ones as well if they were close.

Babies never fight though....if something aggros one of your adult creatures (for example on my beach base stupid pelicans will dive bomb one of my dinos before being murdered by the guards on neutral) they always run away until the attacker is dead. Now, the problem is when they run away they can run out of trough range and starve.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, mafisher79 said:

Babies never fight though....if something aggros one of your adult creatures (for example on my beach base stupid pelicans will dive bomb one of my dinos before being murdered by the guards on neutral) they always run away until the attacker is dead. Now, the problem is when they run away they can run out of trough range and starve.

They only flee if their aggression level is set for them to attack (for example, neutral, attack target, aggressive, etc.) but won't react if you manually set their behaviour to passive.

Archived