Want something fresh in Ark?

Rippy

Recently I have seen alot of people complaining that there is not alot to do in Ark or that it is getting stagnant for them. I propose a shake up if you are feeling that way.

I realized yesterday that I had gotten in to the habit of using my flier to get me everywhere.

Yesterday myself and @Trentifus headed out from our base located in the southern islets, myself on a raptor and him on a sabertooth, and headed for the Pack Artifact Cave. Now, although this isn't that long of a journey, we went through forest and swamp to get to our destination. And It was chaos! At one point we had about 10-20 compys attacking us, we got ambushed by a carno and scorpion out of nowhere, swarmed by 20+ meganeura and we killed about 10 sarcos on our journey.

Now this story might seem pretty uneventful to you, but when I normally travel, its either on the back of a rex or plessy for meat (too paranoid about giga taking fall damage and enraging lol), or on a flier. Yesterday we ran through hostile environments to get to our location, rather than have an argie carry our mounts there. Even normally when I am on foot, I just run along the "safer" beaches etc.

Once we were actually in the cave... Well that is a whole another story... But I even consider the journey to the cave yesterday an Adventure, as that is what it was. I plan on heading out alot more without fliers, as it truely made me appreciate the world around me once more. Running from bigger predators, getting more levels on my raptor and more chance of finding higher level creatures for taming without having to stop every 5 seconds and look through a spy glass. It was just fun!

TLDR: If Ark is getting boring, start going on adventures on foot, with ground mounts that you haven't used much.

I can attest to this for livening the game. Same thing applied in Minecraft after you built a big base it gets to easy. So it is nice to spice things up. I just got wiped the other day and now i'm having a TON of fun doing guerrilla warfare on foot. And riding Raptors is something I haven't done in ages unless the egg lines got messed up :P 

I can only agree... it was such a gamechanger to stop using fliers to get everywhere. Now i just use 'm as transport birds if i have a lot to carry. But i don't have any "battle fliers". All the points are spend in weight, stamina and movement speed. And i must say, the game got more challenging. The fun returned for another 200 hours. 
What's also nice: live as a nomad... and cap the amount of dino's you allow yourself to tame. 
And the "final difficulty": play without taming dinosaurs or building a large base. 

YES! Been saying this to my tribe for too long. We all got really in the habit of only taking a giga for meat or a quetz to fly anywhere leaving the rest of our hard earned dinos to just become decor. Got bored a lot but then started taking rexs out for a while then spinos and so on and it was perfect. Just gotta mix things up and not do the repetitive grinding with the same dinos everyday. Also helps a lot if you've a good tribe who can not only help grind but provide great times. 

I try not to use fliers at all now unless Im just going halfway across the map for materials specifically. Ive been playing a lot of single player lately, and Im having so much more fun than I was on a server with my friends. Even though I love playing with friends, having to rely on yourself changes things up quite a bit too.

I did a nomad world once, I used Valhalla for it's size (but it got too laggy for me after a while) and travelled around on the back of a paracer with a mobile base. I had a direwolf that I'd use as well when I needed to go hunting after I left my paracer in a safe place. Right now Im on the island again, I used cheats to build the shells of my dream base but all the dinos I tame, all the actual functional items and gear I have to craft or find myself. I also wouldnt mind playing sometime with a raft. Right now I never go in the water, for some reason it terrifies me, but it might be fun to live on a boat and try all that. Although that might be more fun with other people.

There are plenty of ways to find a new way of playing. Some might not sound appealing to others, but it's what you make of it. Right now Im working on a bunch of treehouses linked by bridges in the hidden lake, and find the dinos I like the most rather than those that are strongest (dont care about rexes and gigas and brontos. I love wolves and argies and paracers and dimorphodons though)

i've just wiped and restarted on my server for the same reasons, base was massive, had kibble for everything, had every dino tamed, had done every cave (except the new jungle and snow ones), had fairly decent gear all round and was just about flying everywhere. then the direbears released and they're like argentavis but ground based.

so i've wiped and now the only tame i have at the moment is a bear, (i did have a few others but they all died to a 108 carno) i'm not in a hurry to get a flier again (even though bolas make capturing pteras a lot easier early game) staying ground based is MUCH more exciting. have been having a blast running around munching things and working on rebuilding a new empire.

56 minutes ago, Smokes said:

so i've wiped and now the only tame i have at the moment is a bear, (i did have a few others but they all died to a 108 carno) i'm not in a hurry to get a flier again (even though bolas make capturing pteras a lot easier early game) staying ground based is MUCH more exciting. have been having a blast running around munching things and working on rebuilding a new empire.

The bear is the ideal creature for a nomad... The only thing i haven't tested is if the bear can outrun a giga. Anyone got any experience with this?

I often travel on my Saber with a Dimo on my shoulder.  I've traveled the whole length of the island this way on many occasions.

I use a flyer sometimes to scout an area or look for something particular, but that's about it. I've just started using the bear and that's quite the hoot!  And he has better carry weight, too. 

I'll also travel around the island edges on my Spino, which is tough if we get surrounded.....poor thing can turn to save his life...or mine.  Lol. 

@Rippy I love the purple Plesio motif.  

Archived