How to make Ark work when playing on a Moblie Hotspot

born2biscuit

Hello

Recently I was in the process of switching ISPs so I had to use my phone's mobile hotspot for internet.

However, when logging onto Ark and trying to load the server list only very few servers would load and none of them were the servers I played on.

Sometimes only 50 servers would load, I would exit the game then try again and maybe 100 or so would show up.After more attempts no more then 400 something would show up and still none of them were my servers.

I was quite frustrated and couldn't understand why this was happening. Of course I assumed it had something to do with the hotspot and I became angry thinking my service was just crap.

But then I had the idea to try something, use my VPN. I installed my VPN onto the laptop I was using and connected to it. Then I ran ark and bingo all 1000+ servers including the ones I play on showed up no problem at all.

I'm posting this on here because when I was trying to figure out what was wrong I googled my issue and saw many other people were having the same issue as me.

This is interesting because it means they are intentionally blocking the IP addresses of these mobile hotspots on a lot of their servers for some reason. 

This is concerning considering they are planning to launch Ark on Stadia and I assume many people would use that service on mobile hotspots, oh well.

Also if they have the ability to block certain IP addresses why do they not region lock servers like many people have requested? 

Anyways, yeah the specific VPN I used was Nord VPN. I suppose this is a solution for PC mainly because I'm not sure wheter or not consoles can connect to VPNs. I vaguely remember seeing a VPN option on the settings of my PS4 some time ago but I no longer have access to one to confirm or test this so I guess thats something console players will have to test themselves.

I'll probably post this on reddit also in hopes of this showing up for more people who google the issue.

k bye

Archived