What caves on the island would be safe for my wolf?

Holyherb420

I have three wolves of similar stats

health 5,558

stamina 1,300

torpidity 8,686

Oxygen 570

food 9,906

weight 295

melee 519%

movement 130%

but taking all three can be a pain(ive only done the southern cave i think its called)to do without getting one lost so which can i solo? which should i take all three? Which should i not even try? Thanks ahead of time im still a noob and need advice.

On a fresh start I'll usually tame a wolf early on just to run the lower south for chitin and to tame a few beetles, I always play solo though so don't invest much time into them as their strength is in a pack and the AI is terrible, with no saddle they're just a convenient early game mount for me  

Personally I'd use something with a saddle just for the armour, you can do lower south, south east, central & dead island caves no problem but if there's a lot of high level mobs spawned then you could also run into trouble as they're quite squishy if you get mobbed by a lot of arthros & snakes at once, none of them are good for having a pack on follow apart from maybe the central cave, you can also get the artifact in upper south on a wolf as well if you grapple hook up to the room but I always find arthros or bats waiting for me so usually go through the water on a bary

10 hours ago, Holyherb420 said:

I have three wolves of similar stats health 5,558 stamina 1,300 torpidity 8,686 Oxygen 570 food 9,906 weight 295 melee 519% movement 130% but taking all three can be a pain(ive only done the southern cave i think its called)to do without getting one lost so which can i solo? which should i take all three? Which should i not even try? Thanks ahead of time im still a noob and need advice.

I would suggest taking all three and getting used on how to get tames to follow you if you plan on trying the ascent ion cave later. Trust me, practice makes perfect when you do that. Ontop of that, they will get the pack buff, and if you have both sex's, you will also get the mate buff as well. 

As for which caves will wolves do good in....the cave of the hunter is a very good on to try and tackle. It has a short cut to the right that you can grapple back up but you might be able to hop up the sides if your lucky.
Next Id say the cave of the pack is ok, but you might wanna use grappling hooks when you get to the bottom where the water is at......the water has a mini maze of routes to take and LOADS of piranha hang out here with about 4-6 sarcos. Best to avoid them by grappling up the ledge on the right side and right next to the artifact to avoid them all
Next would be the cave of the clever, this is the first one with bats in it, so you will need to bring antidotes for mega rabies. Again, little bit of water at the bottom of the cave, so beware of sarco and piranha. Good news is you can walk right up to the artifact.

Much after this, Id either recommend a thylacoleo or "throw away" tames you don't really care about.....the main reason for the thylo, is the ability to climb walls if you miss a jump. Also, they jump much higher than other animals in the game, so those mario jumps your going to need to get to places is much more controlled and if you miss, there is still a chance at catching yourself on the wall your sliding down.

14 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

On a fresh start I'll usually tame a wolf early on just to run the lower south for chitin and to tame a few beetles, I always play solo though so don't invest much time into them as their strength is in a pack and the AI is terrible, with no saddle they're just a convenient early game mount for me  

Personally I'd use something with a saddle just for the armour, you can do lower south, south east, central & dead island caves no problem but if there's a lot of high level mobs spawned then you could also run into trouble as they're quite squishy if you get mobbed by a lot of arthros & snakes at once, none of them are good for having a pack on follow apart from maybe the central cave, you can also get the artifact in upper south on a wolf as well if you grapple hook up to the room but I always find arthros or bats waiting for me so usually go through the water on a bary

8 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I would suggest taking all three and getting used on how to get tames to follow you if you plan on trying the ascent ion cave later. Trust me, practice makes perfect when you do that. Ontop of that, they will get the pack buff, and if you have both sex's, you will also get the mate buff as well. 

As for which caves will wolves do good in....the cave of the hunter is a very good on to try and tackle. It has a short cut to the right that you can grapple back up but you might be able to hop up the sides if your lucky.
Next Id say the cave of the pack is ok, but you might wanna use grappling hooks when you get to the bottom where the water is at......the water has a mini maze of routes to take and LOADS of piranha hang out here with about 4-6 sarcos. Best to avoid them by grappling up the ledge on the right side and right next to the artifact to avoid them all
Next would be the cave of the clever, this is the first one with bats in it, so you will need to bring antidotes for mega rabies. Again, little bit of water at the bottom of the cave, so beware of sarco and piranha. Good news is you can walk right up to the artifact.

Much after this, Id either recommend a thylacoleo or "throw away" tames you don't really care about.....the main reason for the thylo, is the ability to climb walls if you miss a jump. Also, they jump much higher than other animals in the game, so those mario jumps your going to need to get to places is much more controlled and if you miss, there is still a chance at catching yourself on the wall your sliding down.

Thanks for the input guys im gonna do some spelunking today lol

Don't invest in wolves for caving. Besides all the weaknesses (lack of saddle is huge NO), it needs a pack. And serious, never enter a cave (besides the Tek Cave) in the Island with more than one dino (shoulder pets do not count). Anything that goes underneath the mesh will instantly die - even in a PvE SP world. And dinos without supervision will mesh one way or another - they eventually will go under the mesh and you will lose the dino/saddle/loot (reason you ALWAYS cryopod dinos that you tame inside caves). I lost so many dinos over the years I play that I lost count already - and I'm talking just about the bugs. And this also can happen if you leave a dino inside too (if you dino loads before the floor they will fall straight into the void).

Invest in Baryonyx and Thylacoleo for general spelunking. Both need some time invested to tame (rare spawns depending on the map you are) and need some breeding to shine, but every second invested in those will return. The reason is: Thyla have a huge reduction to fall damage and can climb straight walls (and is a strong tame), but can't fit in all caves; and Bary is fast, strong, jump like a madman, can breath underwater and is OP as F (triple this "OP as F" if you are in an aquatic environment).

Now, if you are really into "packs" go for Ravagers later on... besides the nice damage (for the size), pack bonus and good weight, it can walk in ziplines and have weight reduction for Wood, Fungal Wood, Thatch, Metal, Green Gem, Fiber, Crystal, Obsidian, and  Stone.

Archived