getting magamasaur eggs - possible with boss rexes?

heliantha

So, I want to get some of those sweet, sweet magmasaur eggs. I've watched several videos where people steal the eggs with procoptodons, blood stalkers, ferroxes or rock drakes, or just with glider wings & grapple hooks. Basically, they all focus on grabbing the egg and then getting away as quickly as possible.

Now my problem is that
-) I don't really have any of those "jumpy" tames, except for 2 rock drakes - and I don't really want to get those killed, as getting 2 high level eggs was quite a pain.
-) On genesis, I have a big problem with random disconnects & lags. The only other map where it's that bad is extinction. And if a disconnect happens while I'm stealing an egg, I can probably kiss my tame goodbye.

So the way I see it, my 2 best options are:
1) go in without a tame & minimum equipment, so that if I die I wont lose much. This is what I'm currently trying, without much success (I typically die horribly shortly after grabbing an egg)
2) go in with something that can actually survive down there, even if I disconnect / die. Which, for me, means boss rexes, since they're the strongest dinos I have.

So.. I'm thinking of waiting until the volcano erupts, the once its done bringing 4-5 cryoed rexes with 80k life + ascended saddle with me, setting them to agressive, gliding to a safe spot in the lava pit and uncryoing them. I read somewhere that rexes can survive several minutes of being inside the lava. If this works, I could then take my time in picking up the eggs while the rexes deal with all magmasaurs, and would not have to make a hasty escape.

Biggest risk actually seems to be falling into the lava myself, while I have the cryoed rexes in my invertory. That could happen and would really suck :/

Anyway, is this a really stupid idea or could this work? I mean, there must be a reason why everyone is so focused on "grab & escape" egg stealing tactics as opposed to something like this.  Has anyone here done something like this, and could give me some tips on how to pull it off?

(This is offical PVE btw)

It would work but your problem will still be escaping, magmasaurs constantly respawn so you can’t completely clear out a pit. Once you get the eggs you’ll still need to cryo your Rexes and get out and in that time more magma’s will spawn in.

Your best option will be going in on foot if you don’t have a Ferox or Bloodstalker. Good flak will reduce damage from any hits you take and can allow you to survive 1 or 2 shots. If you can, head for the smaller pit and try to aggro all the magmasaur to one side away from the nest. Then glide down and start a teleport while standing in the nest, grab the egg just before the teleport ends and be prepared to grapple out if needed.

I got my first magma eggs without tames at all and it was pretty easy: ghillie suit and cactus broth and you are mostly invisible to them so long as you keep your distance.  Stand over an egg and start the teleport sequence.  Grab the egg right before you teleport out.  It is intense, but easy and I was able to repeat it several times with no issues.

2 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

I got my first magma eggs without tames at all and it was pretty easy: ghillie suit and cactus broth and you are mostly invisible to them so long as you keep your distance.  Stand over an egg and start the teleport sequence.  Grab the egg right before you teleport out.  It is intense, but easy and I was able to repeat it several times with no issues.

used this method as well but without cactus broth just full gilly suit and glider and probably died may be 2 or 3 times out of the dozens eggs i got .

going in with boss rex in cryo is very risky with the lag and dc

Thanks for the input guys, I tried again and succeeded in getting an egg. It seems my mistake was trying to escape via grappling hook - once all the magmas aggroed  me and started using their fire spit, my fps would drop, making it hard to fire the grappling hooks properly. So I used the teleport trick instead, and after screwing up the timing on the first try and being roasted alive once more, it actually worked :D

However, sth. really strange happened: after grabbing the first egg and escaping, some of the magmasaurs would not deaggro - I teleported back to my base, put the egg away, returned to the volcano biome and the magmasaurs would go nuts & start firing at me as soon as I was gliding above their pit. To be clear, they had no chance of actually hitting me because I was so high above them, idk how they even knew I was there. When I'd glide down into the pit, they'd come running towards me. Killing my survivor did not fix this. Even after I was disconnected form the server, the magmas would continue to do this. I'm super curious if that will still happen when I return tomorrow. 🤨

Get aberrant spinos. Bring like five of them with you down into the rock drake trench. Steal eggs and pull rock drakes that aggro on you to your spinos for killing. Keep moving around the area to cause new eggs to spawn when you clear nests. Basically gather up a boatload of high level rock drake eggs. Raise a bunch of them. This way, rock drakes are more expendable for you. They really are the best way to hunt magmasaur eggs. Like, waaay cheaper/easier/faster than any other method by several orders of magnitude.

23 hours ago, Fresiki said:

Get aberrant spinos. Bring like five of them with you down into the rock drake trench. Steal eggs and pull rock drakes that aggro on you to your spinos for killing. Keep moving around the area to cause new eggs to spawn when you clear nests. Basically gather up a boatload of high level rock drake eggs. Raise a bunch of them. This way, rock drakes are more expendable for you. They really are the best way to hunt magmasaur eggs. Like, waaay cheaper/easier/faster than any other method by several orders of magnitude.

I'm planning on trying that right before the next breeding event hits 🙂. In the meanwhile, I now have a pair of lvl 130 magmasaur babys to care for. Which is not great, level-wise, but not awful either (It took way more tries to get rock drake eggs over lvl 100). Anyway, how much stamina would you recommend for a rock drake if I take it into the lava cave? And is a primitive saddle ok, or should I trade for a better one?

Also, another question: so far, I've kept to the smaller pit as recommended, and there does not seem to be a lvl 150 magmasaur in there. If I want a 150 egg, that means I need to somehow kill the magmasaurs in the pit and hope one spawns in, am I right? How could I accomplish that?

• 5 weeks later...

I go in there on my rock drake routinely. I was never close to losing a drake. The lava does way less damage than you would think. You can walk around in it with your drake np. Level stam high and just be invis the whole time. The only thing that can get you killed is greed/laziness, ie. you grab one egg from one nest, and instead of going all the way out of aggro range before grabbing your next egg, you start having ideas like "maybe i can grab two eggs in one go" are you gonna start messing up. If you cling high enough to walls and generally don't stop to look at the view all the time, nothing should even dent your rock drake's HP. The first egg pit you encounter when going into the cave is close enough to the entrance that it's not enough to just move to the entrance to reset aggro. The next pit you can find eggs from (the "big" lava lake) is far enough from the entrance that if you grab an egg from the innermost part of the cave, then just run back out to the entrance, by the time you make it back inside they will all have lost aggro on you. 

So the ultra safe way to go is to have more than 2k stam, use invis all the time, run in, find a nest, grab the egg, run ALL THE WAY out before going in to grab another egg. And if the egg was grabbed in the first pit (there are a total of four separate lava pits inside - only two of those have eggs in them, and of those two, one is pretty small with about 3 possible nest locations, and the other is larger, with about 5 possible nest locations) , don't just simply "go outside" - fly down the hill a little as well. The point is to get enough distance between you and the magmasaurs aggroed on you so that they deaggro, before going back inside. Use the length from the entrance to the inner part of the cave to know cirka how far you need to go. One egg per trip. You can keep doing this forever until you have a 100 eggs, and never be at risk. Just don't linger or try to be too clever. 

Yeah, btw, dont do the teleport. It makes you a sitting duck for ten seconds. It's waaay riskier than just staying in the cave. The magmasaurs are slow and sluggish, shoot like 1 projectile every ten seconds, and it cant go above a 30 degree angle. Your rock drake can shoot itself to the roof and walk on walls. Just go high enough that no magmasaur can reach you when you grab an egg, and proceed to calmly just walk out of there like it was nothing. Using the teleport to get out actually complicates things a lot. It's like the worst method.

On 1/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, heliantha said:

Also, another question: so far, I've kept to the smaller pit as recommended, and there does not seem to be a lvl 150 magmasaur in there. If I want a 150 egg, that means I need to somehow kill the magmasaurs in the pit and hope one spawns in, am I right? How could I accomplish that?

I can't technically confirm what I'm about to say, but what it feels like to me is, any magmasaur within the whole cave can spawn eggs at any nest location. I am sure there is a max distance to it, so that magmasaurs on the other side of the map can't spawn in eggs inside the cave, although... Who knows, maybe not. I have cleared out the first pit so that it only had magmasaurs with levels 188, 195 and 202 (max for us), but I still found eggs in the first pit with levels that didn't correspond with any of the magmasaurs alive in that pit. Some times, the nests bug out and don't respawn for a while, and I think there is an absolute max for how many eggs can be up at one time on a server, so it's texhnically possible for you to keep forcing new egg spawns until all the spawned eggs are in the other pit where you don't go, and none will spawn in the first pit until you clear some of them. So for the "full effect" you want to clear both lava pits. And killing off any low level magmasaurs seems to increase the likelihood of a high level egg spawning at any of the locations, but it is expensive/time consuming/cumbersome to do. It also seemed as if for every new high level magmasaur i got to spawn in, the chance of getting more high levels decreased. When i started killing them off, high levels would frequently respawn, but after a while, i think i killed like 30 magmasaurs in a row and got nothing but sub-level 100 respawns. So i think there is a "hard cap" to how much you can help increase your own odds, whether intentional or not. 

Best strat me and a tribe did. Get a mek, it makes the pits stupid ez. Takes like 2-3 mins to wipe the entire pit. Buddy would farm all the ele, and i would snag all the eggs. We would clear the whole area with no problem. An when mek got dmg we both had a drone to repair. So if i was busy he would repair or if pit was clear I would repair. Its the ez way to do it.

Archived