What is the canonical link (if any) between the expansions?

Zen00

The survivor you play through The Island, Scorched Earth, Abberation, and Extinction is canonically the same person who is transporting between locations, following in the footsteps of the first group who broke through and kind of kickstarted a emergency backup for saving the ARKs.

But where does Genesis fit into this? Is the survivor you play on Genesis canonically a different person from the one in the first set of expansions?

In my head, you somehow end up in the Genesis simulation after Extinction. Buy I'm not exactly sure how. At the end of extinction we see the arks returning, including the aberration ark. So last we k ow at the end of extinction, the arks are returning and rockwell with it. Then we're suddenly on a spaceship and in a simulation. It's not clear what happened or how we ended up there. Hopefully we'll get some answers in Genesis part 2.

1 hour ago, Ganelon said:

My guess...

I think the ARKs are for evolving your genetic line to eventually clean Earth of the corruption in Extinction. 

Having done that, your evolved consciousness returns to your host body, and then must fight the corrupted simulation controller to 'wake up' and return the colony ship.

Unfortunately in the official canon the whole survivor being resurrected to learn and grow and overcome and eventually bring the ARKs back to Earth was entirely a happy accident brought about by the ascension of Helena. They weren't made for you, merely to keep life safe until Earth was ready to be restored.

As far as I can tell, the colony ship survivor and the ARK survivor are canonically separate entities.

1 hour ago, Zen00 said:

Unfortunately in the official canon the whole survivor being resurrected to learn and grow and overcome and eventually bring the ARKs back to Earth was entirely a happy accident brought about by the ascension of Helena. They weren't made for you, merely to keep life safe until Earth was ready to be restored.

As far as I can tell, the colony ship survivor and the ARK survivor are canonically separate entities.

We'll see. So far, you retained your implant all the way up until extinction. They are connected in the sense that you keep your survivor id, boss kill records, engrams, etc. It is the same character, so if we go by that, there is a chronological connection. 

1 hour ago, Fresiki said:

We'll see. So far, you retained your implant all the way up until extinction. They are connected in the sense that you keep your survivor id, boss kill records, engrams, etc. It is the same character, so if we go by that, there is a chronological connection. 

Well, canonically the implant holds your memories I believe (the engram matrix) which is what lets the ARK recreate people from the past (it's not well explained in the notes I read), but it is not "you". So when you die and are revived, the implant is a new one, but with your previous life imprinted on it by Helena. Upon completing extinction, technically your implant no longer exists because you become homo deus (maybe? I don't know, it's not well explained and theoretically shouldn't be possible since Helena said no more homo deus could be made, plus it was supposed to be that after the ARKs were restored you'd just become a normal human, no more resurrections according to "The One Who Waits" notes)

Which is part of where all the confusion comes from as there are conflicting lore points.

When i read your response, i couldn't help but feel like maybe you answered the mystery in between the lines. I hadn't considered the part that the survivor is not "you" but that ofc makes perfect sense when I think about it. That opens up the idea that the Genesis simulation could have happened simultaneously with, or at any point after our life on the Arks.

But here's another argument for chronology. You don't have any scorched earth engrams while on the island, but you do have them while on aberration. Even if we accept that "yoir" memories/personality could possibly exist inside different physical bodies simultaneously, if we also accept our engrams as memories of how to make something, then just the order by which they become available to us still seem to suggest everything has been happening in the order that we have experienced it in. Though one could easily also argue that that's just an artifact of how games are designed practically, with progresdion systems, and that it doesn't neccessarily have any lore implications.

Another argument for chronology, then, is the fact that your implant changes when you ascend from the Arks. So if you had an alpha ascension, alpha aberrant implant when you're on extinction, that means whatever happened on extinction had to have followed both the island and aberration. And so on. You can technically leave the island before you defeat the overseer, but i'm just assuming that from a story perspective, we as survivors are following in the steps of Helena and the other survivor note authors, and progressing through the different Arks and then back to earth. The unclear part is what happens to us at the end of Extinction, and why we have an implant when we wake up in the Genesis ending cinematic. Though Rockwell's presence in the simulation seems to suggest it must have happened after Rockwell amd the Aberration ark made it back to earth after Extinction. The Alpha King Titan tease video with the Rockwell roar seems to imply that his coming here would spell some kind of doom, and so it makes the most sense that Genesis happens after Extinction. 

But i think part of the answer to the mystery llies in what you said about 'you' not actually being 'you' . Or alternatively, that they just didn't think people would analyze the lore to this degree so they never thought about it, lol. 

Archived