Does anyone else find it weird progressing to the argy stage...

sjskdjkfa

So I started out my journey thinking I'll first tame some moschops cause they are easy, and that will get me argy kibble. That went well but then I realized I needed prime meat jerky to make the kibble, so I was like herm.. guess I go for rexes before argy then killing stuff with rex I'll get lots of prime and then I'll make kibble later. 2 weeks into starting this survival, got a rex, easliy making rex kibbles cause the kibbles weird ingredient is focal chilie but that is just vegies and berries making it not at all hard to get. But it gets worse... I'm now realizing I need sap for the argy kibble! DILO? At that point I'm thinking "This kib is like 10x harder to make than rex kib imhop." So looking into getting sap and they recomend getting a tree platform first cause building up and getting it from ladders is apparently much harder than farming up the paste and metal. Brain breaks! So to get the sap I need to get an argy to get the metal farming kicked into higher gear. gg.

44 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

So I started out my journey thinking I'll first tame some moschops cause they are easy, and that will get me argy kibble. That went well but then I realized I needed prime meat jerky to make the kibble, so I was like herm.. guess I go for rexes before argy then killing stuff with rex I'll get lots of prime and then I'll make kibble later. 2 weeks into starting this survival, got a rex, easliy making rex kibbles cause the kibbles weird ingredient is focal chilie but that is just vegies and berries making it not at all hard to get. But it gets worse... I'm now realizing I need sap for the argy kibble! DILO? At that point I'm thinking "This kib is like 10x harder to make than rex kib imhop." So looking into getting sap and they recomend getting a tree platform first cause building up and getting it from ladders is apparently much harder than farming up the paste and metal. Brain breaks! So to get the sap I need to get an argy to get the metal farming kicked into higher gear. gg.

Yeah, the whole thing is a mess. Honestly I just go junk to the wall and get yuties for extraordinary kibble. I had a starter set up before I even had my first argy when I was online....Yeah it was only 3 females and a male, but I also had two ovi raptors helping to throw them eggs a bit faster. Add a full blown garden and boom. Just like that.

21 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

Yeah, the whole thing is a mess. Honestly I just go junk to the wall and get yuties for extraordinary kibble. I had a starter set up before I even had my first argy when I was online....Yeah it was only 3 females and a male, but I also had two ovi raptors helping to throw them eggs a bit faster. Add a full blown garden and boom. Just like that.

Huh, looking back at the kib recipies i see laz chow is also just about as easy, lynch pin there is the giant honey, but if i can find some of my old spots to farm it from the ground lvl that'll be okay.

1 hour ago, maxplanck58 said:

There are a couple of loops like this, also including:

you need an Oviraptor to get eggs but you need eggs to get an Oviraptor.

You need eggs (giga egg) to get oviraptor too. lol

And that seem for ark devs very easy task for one new comer.

In isle there are only 3 spot where giga spawn and all those spots are deadly for new player on foot.

10 minutes ago, Zapha said:

If I start fresh and need an argy I tame a low level one (level 15 to 25) with normal meat (~ 30 min taming time).

Usually you only need to waiting a day to get ~40 additional levels , then the argy is around level ~60, that's enough for 1000 stamina and some weight.

Believe or not i tamed ptera in single player with berries.

It took ages, That was time when i didnt know much about game. kibles or what food is apropriate for each dino.

Berry worked well on dodo so i tried on ptera too lol.

When nacroberyes ended i shoted him again with trank arrow

Also i didn't know that is possible to get taming bonus on dino level and stats.

Taming ptera with appropriate kible on official server take ages, then imagine what time i lost with bery lol.

Just go to val and get deino eggs. You can come out with 20+ in like 10 mins once you get a route down. Theres also bee hives all over the chalk hills so I usually bring my bear.

If you need a starter flyer go to CI and tame up a quick dragon. After that the eggs are easy money.

Since extraordinary kibble is so easy to make I just use that for everything I tame.

i tamed up an anky  (narc berrys) then using that to kill some stuff (spoiled meat) then farm out the needed items for tranq darts not to difficult  ko'd a pt use reg meat ( kills by anky) then kod a rex did the same thing then did the argy used rex for prime meat to tame the argy it may take longer but u dont nessasary need kibble early game 

17 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Just go to val and get deino eggs. You can come out with 20+ in like 10 mins once you get a route down. Theres also bee hives all over the chalk hills so I usually bring my bear.

If you need a starter flyer go to CI and tame up a quick dragon. After that the eggs are easy money.

Since extraordinary kibble is so easy to make I just use that for everything I tame.

Imagine 2015 d1nk reading this being like : " o.o " 

what GIF

23 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

That's only true if you're trying to get a perfect tame on everything you ever tame, no matter what level they are.

The normal/standard (and dare I say, sensible) progression is to tame low/medium levels with meat/mutton/mejoberries, then use them to get eggs and harvest prime meat + other ingredients so that you can make kibble for when you want to perfect-tame high levels. No one needs kibble to tame anything Lvl 100 or less, that's just a waste of kibble unless you have a surplus and don't care about wasting it to save some time on the tames.

Even for Lvl 100-120 the main benefit is saving time, which means only if the tame is either very important for your progression or is in a high-risk location. Other than that, kibble should only be used on Lvl 130+ until you have a surplus of it.

You absolutely don't need an argy to get sap (or anything else), you can place a tree platform while mounted on a pteranodon, so basically any newbie who can tame a Lvl 50+ ptera can have as much sap as they need.

It sounds like, all things considered, you're significantly underestimating the value of low/mid level animals as well as significantly underestimating the value of pteranodons in general.

22 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Huh, looking back at the kib recipies i see laz chow is also just about as easy, lynch pin there is the giant honey, but if i can find some of my old spots to farm it from the ground lvl that'll be okay.

I was running to the red woods with grappling hooks, and 5-10 health brews......steal the honey on the edge of the woods, hit the brews to stay alive, keep an eye out for tree kittehs, and haul back to base with the load......things got STUPID easy with a quetzel platform saddle and a bear.....Not only could I just fly up to a hive, get 3x more honey, and fly back without an issue, but I could also build a gen and few fridges to hold the honey as soon as I nipped it.
A beehive at the house is convenient, but if you don't wanna bother with the process, there are ways around it.

Just use prime meat or mutton to tame your first Argy. 

Prime meat is harvestable from easy kills like Carno, Hyena, Argy, and Mammoths. Stego use to be on this list but they are way more dangerous now. 

I do agree that the requirements for Superior kibble vs Exceptional kibble should probably be switched (besides the egg size). 

On 1/17/2021 at 8:06 PM, maxplanck58 said:

There are a couple of loops like this, also including:

you need an Oviraptor to get eggs but you need eggs to get an Oviraptor.

Only because everyone wants the easy and quick tame. When CI dropped I tamed my first Oviraptor with an assortment of eggs like Dodo (tamed and quick egg production) and eggs I found laying around like Sarco, Stego, etc. 

It works as intended.

On 1/17/2021 at 9:37 PM, Noa said:

Believe or not i tamed ptera in single player with berries.

It took ages, That was time when i didnt know much about game. kibles or what food is apropriate for each dino.

Berry worked well on dodo so i tried on ptera too lol.

When nacroberyes ended i shoted him again with trank arrow

Also i didn't know that is possible to get taming bonus on dino level and stats.

Taming ptera with appropriate kible on official server take ages, then imagine what time i lost with bery lol.

I think you're confused about the taming-food vs. the unconscious-food you use to keep them knocked out. Yes, you can keep a ptera knocked out by using narcoberries until they are tamed, but narcoberries are not what tames them.

Tranq arrows, narcotics, narcoberries... these are the things you use to knock an animal out and then keep them unconscious while you tame them. But no amount of narcotics or narcoberries will ever tame an animal unless you also give them taming food. The actual taming is done with kibble, mutton, meat, etc. Whether you remember doing it or not, you also put some kind of meat in the ptera's inventory to do the actual taming.

Also, shooting an animal with a tranq arrow to keep it knocked out is a bad idea, you never want to do that, it reduces the number of levels it will have once it finishes taming. You always want to put some form of narcotics in their inventory and make them eat it to keep them knocked out.

22 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

I think you're confused about the taming-food vs. the unconscious-food you use to keep them knocked out. Yes, you can keep a ptera knocked out by using narcoberries until they are tamed, but narcoberries are not what tames them.

Tranq arrows, narcotics, narcoberries... these are the things you use to knock an animal out and then keep them unconscious while you tame them. But no amount of narcotics or narcoberries will ever tame an animal unless you also give them taming food. The actual taming is done with kibble, mutton, meat, etc. Whether you remember doing it or not, you also put some kind of meat in the ptera's inventory to do the actual taming.

Also, shooting an animal with a tranq arrow to keep it knocked out is a bad idea, you never want to do that, it reduces the number of levels it will have once it finishes taming. You always want to put some form of narcotics in their inventory and make them eat it to keep them knocked out.

No I'm not confused, i wrote i shoted it with trank arrow when nacro beries ended to keep him sleeping also because i didn't know for taming bonus at that time.

But in the rest of taming process he have eat only berris all kind except stim ones. It was long a go in single player as son i paid for game and started to play it.

I learned of kibbles, right taming food and what do additional damage on taming level a lot latter when i started to play on official server.

Basically all my tames on single player game didn't have any bonus and some of them got even lowered level/stats once tamed.

32 minutes ago, Noa said:

No I'm not confused, i wrote i shoted it with trank arrow when nacro beries ended to keep him sleeping also because i didn't know for taming bonus at that time.

But in the rest of taming process he have eat only berris all kind except stim ones. It was long a go in single player as son i paid for game and started to play it.

I learned of kibbles, right taming food and what do additional damage on taming level a lot latter when i started to play on official server.

Basically all my tames on single player game didn't have any bonus and some of them got even lowered level/stats once tamed.

Maybe there was some mod at play then? Afik carnivores will never voluntarily consume meat, and even if you were force feeding the ptera mejo and other berries, I think that'd just make its health fall?

36 minutes ago, Noa said:

Even on single player pteranodons can only be tamed with meat, and this has always been true. The only way that this could have ever been possible is if you were using a mod that allowed you to tame with other foods.

19 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

That's only true if you're trying to get a perfect tame on everything you ever tame, no matter what level they are.

The normal/standard (and dare I say, sensible) progression is to tame low/medium levels with meat/mutton/mejoberries, then use them to get eggs and harvest prime meat + other ingredients so that you can make kibble for when you want to perfect-tame high levels. No one needs kibble to tame anything Lvl 100 or less, that's just a waste of kibble unless you have a surplus and don't care about wasting it to save some time on the tames.

Even for Lvl 100-120 the main benefit is saving time, which means only if the tame is either very important for your progression or is in a high-risk location. Other than that, kibble should only be used on Lvl 130+ until you have a surplus of it.

You absolutely don't need an argy to get sap (or anything else), you can place a tree platform while mounted on a pteranodon, so basically any newbie who can tame a Lvl 50+ ptera can have as much sap as they need.

It sounds like, all things considered, you're significantly underestimating the value of low/mid level animals as well as significantly underestimating the value of pteranodons in general.

This! Its not meant for new players to get their first tames with kibbles. And ovirsptor can be tamed with any eggs.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Even on single player pteranodons can only be tamed with meat, and this has always been true. The only way that this could have ever been possible is if you were using a mod that allowed you to tame with other foods.

I don't remember, i tried and had few mods on single player and probably didn't know what all they do for example one which allowed matting wyverns but that mod i installed  much later in game progress when i have been higher level.

On 1/18/2021 at 6:49 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I do agree that the requirements for Superior kibble vs Exceptional kibble should probably be switched (besides the egg size). 

If not swaping all ingredients besides egg size, I'd at least swap the focal chili with the sap. Btw I acquired a wyvern and wood tree platform so I'm getting sap easy now...

Archived