Alter terrain

KRONOSDOUBLE

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, KRONOSDOUBLE said:

It would be a cool to be able to alter terrain in the game, similar to minecraft. It would be cool to be able to make custom bases underground or build your own hill to build on top of. 

The building system in 7 Days to Die was a lot of fun that way.

Terraforming isn't officially supported in Unreal Engine 4. The devs would need to employ a lot of hacks to make it work.

The other issue and one that effects all terraforming games is file size. The more holes people dig the bigger the world map becomes. Do people joining a server really want to download several hundred MB everytime they join? I've played other games that allow terraforming and their usual solution to world sizes that get too big is to hit the reset button...

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Terraforming isn't officially supported in Unreal Engine 4. The devs would need to employ a lot of hacks to make it work.

The other issue and one that effects all terraforming games is file size. The more holes people dig the bigger the world map becomes. Do people joining a server really want to download several hundred MB everytime they join? I've played other games that allow terraforming and their usual solution to world sizes that get too big is to hit the reset button...

Yup. It’s a shame. Good fun. 

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Will ark continue using unreal engine 4? Or will they upgrade to unreal engine 5?

• 2 weeks later...

Technical issues aside, I'm still not certain about this. It could potentially be a nightmare for balancing and overall gameplay, especially for PvP. And I can already see how many meshing methods could come out of a system like this, especially once you get bigger caves that fliers can get into. 

I think they'd have to be very careful with this. 

Archived