Is it better to start(I have waited 6 years lol) now or wait until the DLC ?

brewsbee39

Depends.

If you're thinking about playing single player, or on a private server with friends, I would say yes. It's a great game, despite the tons of bugs.

I would stay out of the official network, it's a awful experience full of performance issues that will turn a otherwise fun and immersive experience, into a mix of annoyances and frustrations. Might as well wait for Ark 2 next year.

hard to say ..... the DLC wont help you unless u have it and can use it ... the base game u need to master before attempting the genesis series imo add breedig / farming / etc then its a HUGE timesink but thats just for PvE, if u got PvP there is even more to take on board .. AND if its just you then it could be a hard start ...

If you don't say what you want to "play" people will get confused and give you no right directions. Singleplayer, Multiplayer, Official, PVP, PVE. Those are completely different games - and need settings and sometimes mods (SP) to balance things out and improve the overall experience.

DLC is basically another map and like 4 new items - Ark will still be the exactly same game with or without it. Overall the most enjoyable DLC's are Aberration and Extinction - Genesis is behind even The Island for many (me included).

18 hours ago, brewsbee39 said:

I have waited 6 years ,thinking about playing . Would it be better to dive in now or wait for the DLC coming up?

ARK is a big, deep game with a lot of content. No matter when you start there's a lot to learn and there's no advantage to waiting. Personally, I suggest you start right away and start learning as much as you can before the DLC. Everyone has to start as a newbie with a lot to learn, it doesn't matter which DLC is released or not released when you first start the game.

Whether you want to try PvP, PvE, Unofficial or solo, no matter how you like to play a game and what you find enjoyable there's no benefit to waiting longer. The sooner you start playing the sooner that you'll figure out whether you actually like the game and the sooner you'll figure out which game mode you like the best. Some people really enjoy the brutality of PvP, most people like some flavor of PvE whether it's with tribes or solo, but no matter what you enjoy you won't learn the game until you start playing.

Most DLCs kinda expect you to import your existing levelled up character in order to get the best out of them, so there is no reason to wait for the final DLC to drop. Certainly Extinction and Genesis do. You'd also be better off starting on Maps like Ragnarock/Crystal Isles/Valquero etc instead of the Island as they offer more and it's a bit easier to defeat the bosses and get some tek, then go to the Island. I think the only real value of the island is the amount of caves&boss fights you can have fun with. This is all from a PvE perspective. 

Some youtubers do some fun series where they go through all of the main Arks that could give you a nice idea how to do it all. (I find Cjthecheesedj an entertaining one who doesn't use mods)

You should wait, I'm not sure 6 years is enough time to properly consider whether to start playing a game. If you go rushing into it now instead of waiting longer it would make the previous 6 years pointless.

I remember when I was buying my first car,  I could have bought one many years ago but I waited although getting the bus was costing me more and took longer.

I needed time to consider it properly!  I mean cars back then were just boxes on wheels some didn't even have air conditioning, why rush in and  buy one when if I waited better cars might come along in a few years time,  and although mobile phones weren't a thing back then I was proved right to wait, because finally, after 37 years,  I bought a car and it has mobile phone integration!! I would not have got that if I had just rushed out and bought a car 37 years ago  but i still think it was probably too soon. What might cars have in another 20 years I probably should have waited.

And here is the real kicker because I drive my own car now.  I have more money and time on my hands.Good for you Mr Hemple you might be inclined to say, But NO! My life has taken a destructive spiral, I started frittering my time away enjoying myself, stopped all those normal things that make life worthwhile like standing waiting at the bus stop with heavy bags of groceries in the pouring rain. Or sitting on the bus for 2 hours to get home after a hard day at work. I don't get to hear about the other passengers troubles from 4 rows away. I am missing the pleasure of the woman with 3 children under 5 years old screaming blue murder whilst the father struggles to fold a twin pushchair, buggy, stroller ( delete as applicable to your location)   causing minor injuries to anyone in a 10 seat radius. And he despite the complex baby carriage logic puzzle and the distressed wife and children he won't buy a car. Oh no,  he's smart and will wait till they are capable of flight he tells himself.

Archived