Some questions for Giga owners

TinyForearms

1. How do you get these guys to spawn?
Right now I'm looking for a pair on the volcanic island on the Center. I found a low level one before, killed it hoping to find a better level. But so far not one has reappeared. Do I just keep killing dinos till it spawns?

2. What level Giga do you aim for?
Should I really be picky with levels? of course a max lvl150 is best, but Gigas rarely spawn and rarer still really high level ones and to further complicate things, the stats.

3. How concerned should i be about its rage?
I know how the mechanic works, on paper but in actual play how easy does a tame Giga rage on you? I've seen videos of people losing control of their gigas in just a few seconds being jumped by other players.
I'm playing on PvE, so i don't have to worry about that. I mainly want it as a trophy dino, but I also need to be able to take it out on fights, especially against Elementals.

3.1 How likely can I get an enraged Giga back?
No one really talks about what happens during and after a Giga rages or how long/quick it calms down.  Say you lose control of the Giga fighting in the wild, do i just wait till it either it kills everything or dies? 

rage lasts about 20ish seconds last time i checked. if you dont mind going to rag there are usually 2 in the desert and 2 in the highlands if you fly between the 2 places you should be able tofind a high level pretty quickly. aim for a high level if your going to use that many tranqs and narcotics go for 130+. and it probably wont get enraged unless your fighting other gigas

As Square said, Ragnarok is pretty reliable server to find them at, and it seems like Rag spawns tend to trend to higher levels anyway.  I saw a 150 on the mountain near green obelisk just before the Winter Wonderland event and was cursing that without any kind of event bonus, it was going to be a total pain to take it down.  Dododex was saying something like 4 mins to deplete torpor, for at least a couple hours, and a few hundred tranqs to KO.   So, I passed.  First 150 I've seen, hoping it won't be the last.

As for raging, I have some gigs that I was gifted eggs for that I've been nervously driven about, but I was advised by an experienced player that they will only rage when they get a serious reduction in health, I don't remember exactly what he told me but I think it was half or less.  Which is why if you step off a cliff with one and they take a lot of falling damage, that is the typical way one will rage on you.

Gigs are excellent meat gatherers if you are breeding.  One or 2 chomps on the toughest dino makes for fast meaterizing.

59 minutes ago, Bugboy said:

As Square said, Ragnarok is pretty reliable server to find them at, and it seems like Rag spawns tend to trend to higher levels anyway.  I saw a 150 on the mountain near green obelisk just before the Winter Wonderland event and was cursing that without any kind of event bonus, it was going to be a total pain to take it down.  Dododex was saying something like 4 mins to deplete torpor, for at least a couple hours, and a few hundred tranqs to KO.   So, I passed.  First 150 I've seen, hoping it won't be the last.

As for raging, I have some gigs that I was gifted eggs for that I've been nervously driven about, but I was advised by an experienced player that they will only rage when they get a serious reduction in health, I don't remember exactly what he told me but I think it was half or less.  Which is why if you step off a cliff with one and they take a lot of falling damage, that is the typical way one will rage on you.

Gigs are excellent meat gatherers if you are breeding.  One or 2 chomps on the toughest dino makes for fast meaterizing.

All unofficial maps that have been added to the game have higher change for high level spawns than official DLC maps.

41 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Since they got rid of the fall damage rage (that was scary because a lag or tiny fall or a slide could set off your giga) they dont rage too easily, I have heard that eating kentros can cause them to rage though so dont do that. 

Thanks, I did not know that about that for fall damage.  When did they do that?  Was it just for Gig raging from fall damage?  Because I lost a wyvern to a fall, down the big drop on Extinction that I should have just jumped off of, but I stayed on alllll the way down.  I wasn't paying attention to its stamina...

I personally have had the most luck on valguero, the spawn zones are close to each other and they spawn quite commonly, but rag and center are worth searching too. Always check the wiki for spawn zones: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Spawn_Map_(Valguero)

Any decent imprinted giga should basically never rage in pve.  If it doesn't have the best stats or saddle take caution against wild gigas and titanosaurs. Purple osds on extinction should only be for the best of gigas, and Genesis missions (mainly the hunt ones) can easily enrage even super good gigas though. If it does rage it will kick you off and then usually one shot you.

5 hours ago, Bugboy said:

Thanks, I did not know that about that for fall damage.  When did they do that?  Was it just for Gig raging from fall damage?  Because I lost a wyvern to a fall, down the big drop on Extinction that I should have just jumped off of, but I stayed on alllll the way down.  I wasn't paying attention to its stamina...

The problem was that a small fall would cause enough damage to cause them to rage. I don't think I ever had one rage for a legit fall reason. Once was a lag, and it almost ate me and my best bronto but we both were lucky. The other time was a hill but instead of walking it slid and it caused enough damage to rage. One thing you could do is to go on single player and spawn a giga and force tame it and roll around playing around and test the waters to see how you like them. They do eat faster than most other dinos, I keep mine podded when not in use because of that.

6 hours ago, Thyme said:

I personally have had the most luck on valguero, the spawn zones are close to each other and they spawn quite commonly, but rag and center are worth searching too. Always check the wiki for spawn zones: https://ark.gamepedia.com/Spawn_Map_(Valguero)

Any decent imprinted giga should basically never rage in pve.  If it doesn't have the best stats or saddle take caution against wild gigas and titanosaurs. Purple osds on extinction should only be for the best of gigas, and Genesis missions (mainly the hunt ones) can easily enrage even super good gigas though. If it does rage it will kick you off and then usually one shot you.

oh so does the Giga immediately target you and not whatever was attacking it? I thought there'd be a window of opportunity to distance yourself from it while it's distracted with killing off surrounding dinos, kinda like in the wild

17 hours ago, TinyForearms said:

1. How do you get these guys to spawn?
Right now I'm looking for a pair on the volcanic island on the Center. I found a low level one before, killed it hoping to find a better level. But so far not one has reappeared. Do I just keep killing dinos till it spawns?

2. What level Giga do you aim for?
Should I really be picky with levels? of course a max lvl150 is best, but Gigas rarely spawn and rarer still really high level ones and to further complicate things, the stats.

3. How concerned should i be about its rage?
I know how the mechanic works, on paper but in actual play how easy does a tame Giga rage on you? I've seen videos of people losing control of their gigas in just a few seconds being jumped by other players.
I'm playing on PvE, so i don't have to worry about that. I mainly want it as a trophy dino, but I also need to be able to take it out on fights, especially against Elementals.

3.1 How likely can I get an enraged Giga back?
No one really talks about what happens during and after a Giga rages or how long/quick it calms down.  Say you lose control of the Giga fighting in the wild, do i just wait till it either it kills everything or dies? 

they typically spawn on the mountains. Just fly over these areas and check em once in awhile. Sometimes they spawn in like clock work, other times you "must" do a destroy all wild dino's admin command if on solo.
If you try to go for a higher level giga, better bring a poop ton of narco, or a berry harvesting dino for narco berries.....honestly I prefer jellyfish jelly as it hits harder but preference is always personal.
Iv never had a giga rage on me before, but Im mostly solo. So I cannot help you with 3 or 3.1

I would also like to point out that you might want to be extra carefull with fall damage as even just the tiniest of falls can cause a massive amount of damage all at once. Last but not least, once you get one, don't worry about its health when leveling it up......Iv spent 12 points in health on one, got like 40 extra points in health. x.x Just do melee or something else.

6 hours ago, wizard03 said:

something else.

"Something else" won't help much either. Stamina? Not much increase, it'll still be bad, just slightly less bad. Weight? Weight-hauling isn't exactly the point of gigas, so while it increases somewhat okay, better not to anyway. Speed? LOL. Barely any increase, better just get a fully imprinted one and stop at that. So it's just melee.

9 hours ago, TinyForearms said:

oh so does the Giga immediately target you and not whatever was attacking it? I thought there'd be a window of opportunity to distance yourself from it while it's distracted with killing off surrounding dinos, kinda like in the wild

When it bites whatever's in front of it it can still hit something standing on its back, so it often inadvertently eats you even if its not targeting you. Theres a short roar it does when it rages so you can esacpe, easiest if you have a wing suit or jetpack. You also have to worry about being killed by whatever its fighting.

9 hours ago, AllOfTheAllos said:

"Something else" won't help much either. Stamina? Not much increase, it'll still be bad, just slightly less bad. Weight? Weight-hauling isn't exactly the point of gigas, so while it increases somewhat okay, better not to anyway. Speed? LOL. Barely any increase, better just get a fully imprinted one and stop at that. So it's just melee.

Someone might feel like a giga with 2500 weight is really important. :P In the end, its all up to the owner. Granted, I wouldn't see much of a reason to level anything else up like you, but compared to health......Health lvl'ing is an absolute waste on a giga. Devs did a good job at keeping them from being too op once tamed

Archived