Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Why can i download a 350gb copy of Call of duty in 20 minutes but not a 500mb Ark download in 32 minutes? Same internet connection, same PC. Also why does one of my computers have a 500mb download and the other has a 3gb download that take the same amount of time and both were up to date till that patch hit? This happens with every patch and is really confusing HELP!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, Bagelbyte2 said:

I know that but im looking more for the scientific answer as to why.

Game updates are handled and pushed to players by the platform they are playing on. For example, on Steam, they are pushed through VALVe's network. When a massively popular game (such as ARK that is currently ranked 18 and is more often than not in the top 10) is updated, a very large amount of players are all requesting and downloading that update at the same time which consequently cause the network infrastructure of the platform handling the update to adapt and limit the rate of everyone so that it can serve everybody. In conclusion;

  • Game optimizations, or the developers, or whatever, have nothing to do and do not control the speed at which updates are served to players.
  • You cannot compare the download speed of a very popular title with another that barely have a fraction of a fraction of its concurrent players.
  • These threads about download speed every updates are getting old.
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Game updates are handled and pushed to players by the platform they are playing on. For example, on Steam, they are pushed through VALVe's network. When a massively popular game (such as ARK that is currently ranked 18 and is more often than not in the top 10) is updated, a very large amount of players are all requesting and downloading that update at the same time which consequently cause the network infrastructure of the platform handling the update to adapt and limit the rate of everyone so that it can serve everybody. In conclusion;

  • Game optimizations, or the developers, or whatever, have nothing to do and do not control the speed at which updates are served to players.
  • You cannot compare the download speed of a very popular title with another that barely have a fraction of a fraction of its concurrent players.
  • These threads about download speed every updates are getting old.

Then are you able to answer this for me..

Today I woke up to a 427mb patch. This took like 30 minutes to complete. However the last 5 minutes the disk and network speeds were both idling. Then once the timer finally reached zero. Instead of completing the update, it started a second update. This update first started off at 500mb, but as it gets closer and closer to the download size. The download size keeps rising. It's now up to 1.8gb and everytime I think it's about to end, it adds on more raptoring data.

What's the answer here?

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
12 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Then are you able to answer this for me..

Today I woke up to a 427mb patch. This took like 30 minutes to complete. However the last 5 minutes the disk and network speeds were both idling. Then once the timer finally reached zero. Instead of completing the update, it started a second update. This update first started off at 500mb, but as it gets closer and closer to the download size. The download size keeps rising. It's now up to 1.8gb and everytime I think it's about to end, it adds on more raptoring data.

What's the answer here?

Every DLC are basically different "app" in the Steam ecosystem and are entirely separate downloads. If WC pushes an update that affects the base game, along with multiple maps, then Steam may serves them as a whole or separately. This whole update affected Aberration, Extinction, Genesis, Scorched Earth, Crystal Isles, Ragnarok, The Center, Valguero, and of course, the base game. If you have one or more of those installed then you may receive multiple fragments or a whole package including them all (this last one was approximately 5.4gb total).

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Every DLC are basically different "app" in the Steam ecosystem and are entirely separate downloads. If WC pushes an update that affects the base game, along with multiple maps, then Steam may serves them as a whole or separately. This whole update affected Aberration, Extinction, Genesis, Scorched Earth, Crystal Isles, Ragnarok, The Center, Valguero, and of course, the base game. If you have one or more of those installed then you may receive multiple fragments or a whole package including them all (this last one was approximately 5.4gb total).

Nope, I have a 256gb SSD on my laptop so I cannot fit anything else on the drive except the base game of Ark. This is just ridiculous. What was meant to be a simple 456mb update for Ark is now preventing me from playing the game completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Volunteer Moderator
52 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Nope, I have a 256gb SSD on my laptop so I cannot fit anything else on the drive except the base game of Ark. This is just ridiculous. What was meant to be a simple 456mb update for Ark is now preventing me from playing the game completely.

No idea then. Perhaps a corrupted cache? If it doesn't finish after a while, try Steam → View → Settings → Downloads → [CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE] see if that fixes it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...