Need advice for redwood tames the island single player

alternative1010

what dinos should i bring to tame things in the redwood forest i have a barynox a pteradon a paracer a iguanadon a bronto and some more dinos what should i bring and what dinos should i get im thinking of getting the big cat thing and a argy but i need tips cause im super stressed about losing a dino cause recently i lost a sarco to get the basilisour which i got im like level 80 almost too with long neck rifle crossbow with alot of tranq darts and a fabricated pistol and working on a shotgun and i have a pike pls help 🙂

Assuming that by "big cat" you mean the Thylacoleo, easiest is probably to build a trap nearby where you saw the Thyla, preferably outside of the woods themselves, that is a dangerous place to be early on.

Just lure him into the trap and you can tame it easily.

There are tons of videos out there explaining how to do this, just search Youtube 🙂

Another option is to build a taming pen, and then with your Argie pick up the Thyla and drop it there for easy tame. But I'm not sure if this is still a viable option since they recently added bleeding status effect to the Thylas.

8 hours ago, alternative1010 said:

what dinos should i bring to tame things in the redwood forest i have a barynox a pteradon a paracer a iguanadon a bronto and some more dinos what should i bring and what dinos should i get im thinking of getting the big cat thing and a argy but i need tips cause im super stressed about losing a dino cause recently i lost a sarco to get the basilisour which i got im like level 80 almost too with long neck rifle crossbow with alot of tranq darts and a fabricated pistol and working on a shotgun and i have a pike pls help 🙂

Thylacoleos are fantastic, however I would focus on argy first, honestly.  They are a game changer.  It will be much more useful to you at this stage of the game than a thylacoleo.  And since you have a ptera, then you can use that to lure argies into trap.  Lots of videos on argy traps on youtube as well.  I would look for argies on either the volcano or on the bald mountain north of redwoods.  Less dangerous than the redwoods imo.

18 hours ago, alternative1010 said:

I have some bad news my friend, you WILL loose more dinos. Either by failure of a plan, or by dumb luck, a bug, or an accident. Best way I can help you with this and the pain it causes is to go ahead and tame up back ups or "sacrificial" dino's. Ones you really don't care about if you loose them
With that said, Id think you be best to use the pteradon to "hop" over the trees, and land in safer open areas once past the outline of the big trees. Take it slow, and save your stamina or else it might end badly.

With that said, the most dangerous thing in the redwoods is indeed the thylacoleo... He will knock you off your mount {even a quetzel! 😮 }, pin you to the ground for a short amount of time, and will just murder death kill you if they catch you. Because of this I would recommend building a second base somewhere in the redwoods area, and wearing the best armor you got, flak armor stats minimum!

On the western side of the redwoods area is a small lagoon 63,33 on your map. It looks really pretty if you decide to build a tree platform base here, however its just going to be a base, vs anything super specialized such as a metal refinery. My mom built one here.....two story, had all the basics and she even managed to put a grinder in it. Kinda funny how she had another "smoke stack" coming out of the top XD.
Pros: good fishing in lagoon and nearby rivers. Very pretty. RIGHT next to swamp cave.
Cons: dangerous area to fly to in the night, you will be attacked by a thylo sooner or later.

Kinda in the middle of the redwoods is a mountain 57,48 on the map. A LOT of people like to use this mountain as their main metal refinery area as there are a lot of metal nodes all around as well as a little bit of crystal. There are also argentavis and ankies which are mostly known for their metal hauling abilities.....aky cuts weight of metal by 80%, argy cuts weight of metal AND a lot of other resources by 50%. In the end, if your on single player, this is a typical go to for your first industrial forge. Because of this, Id highly recommend going with a full blown master base.
Pros: Plentiful amounts of metal little bit of crystal too, in the middle of the map so easy to get where, solid mid game tame's and resources
Cons: Tough mid game creatures including thylo, rex, and alphas nearby. Also water....Multiple water reservoirs to catch rain is necessary. 

Now on the east side, at the very end of the redwoods 50,63 here. Iv noticed this is a very good trapping area......either for tree kitties, frogs, barynox, parcer's, oroviraptors. Iv seen and personally built "one foundation" traps, however after dealing with sarco's and the pounce from a thylo, Iv found its probably best to go with a 4x4 or 6x6 setup with a spare bed. {Iv personally had to run from the east swamp area spawn back to this area, died many times before getting back} While this isn't exactly a strong base location, it is a nice "outpost" area. Just remember to build in stone.
Pros: Good hunting location, doesn't need to be a full blown build, can yield tames necessary for later in the game.
Cons: Multiple aggressive creatures, is not an ideal location, requires flight to be safe to travel to.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you are a level 80'ish, I would HIGHLY recommend the following tames to be pulled from the red woods area, and a basic idea of how to trap them.

First of all, the argentavis.....the argy is the single most popular tame in all of ark. It is the workhorse of the island, the most versatile tame, and while there have been people who tamed the island without one, it is so much easier to take control of the island with a high level argentavis. I have a video on what the trap looks like here: https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/wizardo3/video/115150418
You can use this trap multiple times, and all you need to tame them up is prime meat, and you can kill off low level argentavis nearby to fulfill that need.

Rexs are also in the area if you want, to trap one you can use a 6x6 stone foundation, double doorways for walls, and a ramp. Lure the rex to chase you into the trap, and take your time.

Last but not least....Thylacoleo....there are two methods to this, the first is trying to be selective and find one you can lure into a similar trap as the rex {use single door doorways instead of double} Just shoot them with a tranq dart to knock them out of the tree and they will then chase you. OR fly around on your tame till one pounces you and just start drilling it with darts and hope you can knock it out before it kills you.
If you do it the secound way, you will want to have multiple long necks so you can switch guns faster than the reload animation or a much more powerful long neck from a supply drop and the same with armor.....You will need flak grade armor or better from supply drops {chitin can be used, but you might need mastercraft grade or better in order for it to survive long enough to keep you alive long enough.} Also some extra med brew might be useful too. 
With that said, this is one of the more different tames in the game as it actually likes COOKED! meat better than just the raw version. If you was ever lucky enough to accidentally stumble accross a sheep and gotten some mutton, best get it cooked first in order to have the best "non kibble" taming food for the thylo.

While your at it, you could also tame a bear, a lot of people say its a strong cave runner, however I find them most usefull as honey gather's. You can trap these guys easy, either ride your pteradon  and place dino gateways and doors down over one, or something similar to the rex with single doorways instead of double doorways. And then feed them honey. {to take honey without a bear, use bugspray and ghille, and a grappleing hook, or lotsa med brew}

Id also keep my eye's peeled for a quetzel. However this will require another post to explain how to tame.

Last but not least is if your interested, a megapitchicus. AKA sasquatch.......Iv never found a use for them, but do know they are a passive tame, much like your basil.

I have a deep trauma with the redwoods.    Between the tree kitties of death and the spider-trap ambushers (and random t-rexes that'll just show up)...there's been some bad times.    Once I was on a wyvern chasing a quetz (Quetz ALWAYS go for the redwoods!!), I got pounced by a tree kitty out of nowhere.  Flailed around, managed to whistle my wyvern and fly  away...about 50 feet when another death cat pinned me.     Ran away from that but wyvern is going nuts for pathing and won't come to me...3rd treekitty!

...eventually I ran out and carefully put the wyvern on follow from much higher up in the air, but I've steered clear of the redwoods since XD

2 hours ago, Migol said:

I have a deep trauma with the redwoods.    Between the tree kitties of death and the spider-trap ambushers (and random t-rexes that'll just show up)...there's been some bad times.    Once I was on a wyvern chasing a quetz (Quetz ALWAYS go for the redwoods!!), I got pounced by a tree kitty out of nowhere.  Flailed around, managed to whistle my wyvern and fly  away...about 50 feet when another death cat pinned me.     Ran away from that but wyvern is going nuts for pathing and won't come to me...3rd treekitty!

...eventually I ran out and carefully put the wyvern on follow from much higher up in the air, but I've steered clear of the redwoods since XD

And still you made it out. I love reading stories like this.

I bet this moment will stay with you for a long time. It's moments like this that make Ark memorable.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, alternative1010 said:

1) Get an argy so you can carry things and drop them into taming traps. There are multiple good videos on setting up argy taming traps.

2) Or, if for some reason you don't want to get an argy first, find a place in the redwoods where you want to build a taming trap and use the pteranodon to lure things into the trap.

Having said that, losing dino's is part of ARK, it's not a matter of "if" it's a matter of "when, how often and how many". You will lose dino's so part of playing the game is making sure you have extras, backup dino's in case you need to run out and rescue your item cache when deaths happen. Planning ahead so that you will be able to cope with problems and recover from losses are important parts of playing the game. If you only have 1 pteranodon and you start flying around the redwoods, well you're basically asking to get wrecked.

Whether you're playing PvP, PvE, Official, Unofficial, local/host, this will always be something you need to do. Tame extra, have backups, make sure you have a plan for when things go wrong because they are definitely going to go wrong sometimes.

Archived