Ark 2 is a Thing! Thoughts?

Logan96

Hello guys and gals,

I hope all is goin well, i left ark a while back (took a few attempts actually) but now that Ark 2 has been announced I couldn't help but tune in. Just curious how the community felt about it, since ark isn't exactly a game you can just walk away from. Anybody concerned about losing progress? Anybody exited for a fresh start? Anybody have some general concerns? What about hopes for the game? Whatever you guys are feeling, lets talk about it...it's been awhile

I for one am hoping that the game goes back to simplicity on launch, just like Ark 1. When tribes seemed more interested in working together than waging war but that time has probably long gone. Either way i wont be able to keep up, so I guess I'm just looking forward to facing down some sort of mutant t-rex with spider legs and a chicken head that fires rockets from its butt with my long lost tribemates. 

Hope yall pitch in and give me something to read with my coffee tomorrow and I wish you all well in these troubling times! 

I can't help but think that ark 2 is just another chance to run away from the problems that ark 1 faces. We have ark, atlas, soon to be ark 2 and ark animated. It will stretch their already non-existent customer support to the minimum and give priority to their new glamorous game. Ark already has a very healthy population, when genesis was released it reached its all-time peak players. Aw well, Id still buy it out of curiosity. Your 'glory days' of ark died when alliances got formed instead of winning the favour of server alphas. An official server wipe would put everyone on the same level but the same alliances would still dominate. Yes i miss them days too :( 

I’m looking for everything ark is with taming breeding building and complexity of pvp in a more polished optimized engine. I’m looking for expanded and new systems like children family/ clan system and I’d prefer it remain low tech as possible for the tribal feel that the trailer had. I also want a deep lore that connects ark to ark2 so the player feels like they haven’t left ark but are still on its story. 

But above all else a robust anti cheat system and anti cheat gm staff along with character backups. 

12 minutes ago, johnm81 said:

I’m looking for everything ark is with taming breeding building and complexity of pvp in a more polished optimized engine. I’m looking for expanded and new systems like children family/ clan system and I’d prefer it remain low tech as possible for the tribal feel that the trailer had. I also want a deep lore that connects ark to ark2 so the player feels like they haven’t left ark but are still on its story. 

But above all else a robust anti cheat system and anti cheat gm staff along with character backups. 

I wouldn't mind keeping it low tech. I don't know too much about the lore so maybe this idea iss already ruled out, but it could take place in the past, maybe on the very first ark. Players and Tribes would have to deal with whatever problems that would bring.

Also I would honestly do away with the level system on dinosaurs and replace it with a trait system. All wild dinos have the same base stats now, but carry 3-5 traits that provides them advantages/disadvantages. These could be anything from a "night stalker" trait that provides a melee boost at night, to potential negatives such as "extra hungry". Breeding would allow the player to breed out certain traits and breed in new ones and mutations would provide an additional trait, good or bad with the same type of color mechanic to allow for color breeding as well.

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

If ark 2 was a rehash of what ark 1 is, Im not buying it. However, if ark 2 was a much more worked out, fully redesigned, bug free set up that might be more single player style. Im in. Hell Id pre order it

Well I will say i had to quit arks multiplayer awhile back. I kept giving it an honest run and did pretty well at times, but the game just got too demanding for anybody that had a job and/or family. But to make the game single player focused would really hurt the experience for me personally. 

I assume that Ark 2 would have enough different about it so that it would inspire Ark players to try it out.  If it just offers a nicer looking version of the same thing, I would imagine many Ark players would stick with Ark because they have so much invested in it, and it would not make sense to start over to only get a more polished version of the same thing.  My intuitions tell me that it will have some of the core sandbox mechanics, but also include enough new and unique features to draw in the legacy Ark crowd.

While Ark has some major flaws with bugs, balance and customer support, it looks to me like a game that many people put a lot of love and passion into.  It feels more like a game that was created by people who wanted to make the game they always wanted to play as opposed to a franchise cash-grab.  I hope that passion carries over to Ark 2.

I also echo the previous post.  I also wanted to be more active in Ark, but it was impossible to be anything more than casual with a job and a family.  I hope Ark 2 allows for players to be able to participate on a high level while still having a traditional life on the other side of the monitor.  I am not saying that the people who play Ark 12 hours a day don't have a life, because I would be among them if I could.  But you know, some of us gals have to work and take care of a real-world family as well.

7 hours ago, Logan96 said:

Well I will say i had to quit arks multiplayer awhile back. I kept giving it an honest run and did pretty well at times, but the game just got too demanding for anybody that had a job and/or family. But to make the game single player focused would really hurt the experience for me personally. 

I quite honestly expect people to feel like this is better off as a multiplayer, however I was also kind of hoping to have some NPC's to help it feel playable as a single player as well.....maybe you got to tame up a parasaur for Helen Walker to study, or the African clan stole something from the Chinese clan and you need to get it back.
However I feel as though the open world experience needs to stay in place, and the option for multiplayer PvP needs to be available as well. This game was built off of those foundations and it shouldn't be thrown away so easily. But if the developers have noticed a larger part of the community enjoys the solo experience as well, why not add a few things to help spice up that experience, maybe give some direction to the game beyond looking up youtube videos, and perhaps a more satisfying end game experience.  

11 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

I assume that Ark 2 would have enough different about it so that it would inspire Ark players to try it out.  If it just offers a nicer looking version of the same thing, I would imagine many Ark players would stick with Ark because they have so much invested in it, and it would not make sense to start over to only get a more polished version of the same thing.  My intuitions tell me that it will have some of the core sandbox mechanics, but also include enough new and unique features to draw in the legacy Ark crowd.

While Ark has some major flaws with bugs, balance and customer support, it looks to me like a game that many people put a lot of love and passion into.  It feels more like a game that was created by people who wanted to make the game they always wanted to play as opposed to a franchise cash-grab.  I hope that passion carries over to Ark 2.

I also echo the previous post.  I also wanted to be more active in Ark, but it was impossible to be anything more than casual with a job and a family.  I hope Ark 2 allows for players to be able to participate on a high level while still having a traditional life on the other side of the monitor.  I am not saying that the people who play Ark 12 hours a day don't have a life, because I would be among them if I could.  But you know, some of us gals have to work and take care of a real-world family as well.

Spot on comment! If i could give it multiple likes I would. Back when i did play multiplayer ark I remember multiple times when friends and tribemates started playing other games. Things got really hard as I felt like I was the only one putting effort into keeping our base alive. I don't think I would have left for any other game back then unless it somehow beat ark, but that would be such a hard thing, flaws and all this game offers so much variety and depth that you just don't seem to get from other games. So whether or not the community is willing to abandon all of their progress to join an ark 2 is a toss up for me.

As for the companies passion towards the game? Well I wont lie, I felt like the last two dlc additions (extinction and genesis) were slightly underwhelming, favoring map size and variety over theme.  Maybe I am the minority, but I would prefer if they returned to the original formula of having one map with all biomes to introduce the basics and then get crazy with one significant theme in each DLC. 

4 hours ago, wizard03 said:

I quite honestly expect people to feel like this is better off as a multiplayer, however I was also kind of hoping to have some NPC's to help it feel playable as a single player as well.....maybe you got to tame up a parasaur for Helen Walker to study, or the African clan stole something from the Chinese clan and you need to get it back.
However I feel as though the open world experience needs to stay in place, and the option for multiplayer PvP needs to be available as well. This game was built off of those foundations and it shouldn't be thrown away so easily. But if the developers have noticed a larger part of the community enjoys the solo experience as well, why not add a few things to help spice up that experience, maybe give some direction to the game beyond looking up youtube videos, and perhaps a more satisfying end game experience.  

In the past i have made many posts complaining about the lack of direction. Ark isn't the only game guilty of this but many others as well. Games this day now expect the player to download discord, get your account authenticated for the specific gaming group and if you have any questions on how to play you need to look it up? Like what happened to just being able to jump into a game and play? I think that if ark 2 became more user friendly it would see a massive spike in players. Just think, how many beach bobs have you met that bought the game and played around for about a day completely clueless before going dark? These players were so close to playing an amazing game but quit just before they could figure it out. I also think ark should incorporate its microphone  communication into tribe and ally chat as well. Discord is an extremely unnecessary tool that is used too often. Imposter accounts and insiding would be so much less frequent without it. 

I'm not against a solo experience either. What would a satisfying end game look like for you personally? 

8 hours ago, Logan96 said:

I'm not against a solo experience either. What would a satisfying end game look like for you personally? 

storyline......you start off with amnesia, trying to figure things out, meet some NPC's, maybe talk to a voice in your inplant, they guide you for first stages, then the curtains fall and you must follow the direction you was pointed in....helpfull advice, side quests, ect. ect. But also the main adventure, difficult challanges getting harder and harder, and then finally the big boss fight. You win, you get told the full story. Maybe you get you memories back, maybe you settle on trying to make you new life work, maybe it can all be fixed in the end if you strive hard enough. But to spice things up, you can move on to a new map and start from scratch all over again.....Maybe you keep the older engrams or technology, but with new dino's to tame, new tools to research, and different materials to build with, it all feels like a new run. 
End game should just feel like you have overcome the odds and somehow made it by the hair on your teeth, but should include a story with answers to the ark

13 hours ago, Logan96 said:

Well I wont lie, I felt like the last two dlc additions (extinction and genesis) were slightly underwhelming, favoring map size and variety over theme.  

I wasn't a fan of the partitioned biomes at first in Genesis, but after giving it a shot and playing it for a while I think they made some really good design decisions, at least with how it works with my tastes.  For me Ark is the most exciting when you just start with a new character: hiding and running from even low level predators, scraping by in the wild looking for a good spot to set camp, then building structures with defense in mind.  Before getting wyverns and gigas, the maps are huge and the challenges are many (PvE, that is).  Once you get the big tames, there is no more challenge save boss fights - and those require a good amount of preparation and organization with others.  With Genesis, the lack of flyers keep the biomes big.  And many of the alpha missions provide just as much challenge as some boss fights, but without the grinding preparation or reliance on too many others.  I think those were really wise design decisions.

The game was at its peak in the first 2 years before all the unbalanced stupidity was added. Giant nonsense creatures that are taller then skyscrapers with 500 000 HP? Ridiculous giant robots with swords? DILO were they thinking. The game truly jumped the shark at that point.

Also the addition of XRAY vision goggles/dinos that remove skillful play from the game was another brain failure. The Parasaur and Snow Owl detection bullcrap is all around bad for gameplay.

We didn't get any info about Ark 2 till now.

We had highly unrelated and misleading short vid on Ark 2 which do not show anything about how Ark 2 will be.

So simply we need more info about game.

Maybe info like this - will we have distance restrictions on structures aka "you are too close to enemy foundation".

Snap solutions with building.

Solid surface without fear to suddenly fall under ground and disabled Wildcard  anti mesh killer.

How will lok user interface and tribe management and what incentives will be for joining in a tribe .

Structures auto decay time and food spoil rates.

Tame group management specially on follow - (you now get mobed and blocked by own tames no mater what settings you use for follow distance and targeting distance)

Info about in game chat, trading and mailing system interface.

Avatar security and solutions for avatar, items and dino lost upon transfer.

How will be communication between players and Wildcard. It will be still ester egg hunt on twitter, Facebook, Discord and many future channels or will devs be forced to finally communicate in one central place like official forum?

How many postponing is planed?

With new engine what are hardware and software requirements?

Range of price to buy Ark 2?

And an sea more info about Ark 2.

Maybe to explain kids seen in video and how Wildcard is planning to force players to take kid role and play as a kid in game.

On 1/8/2021 at 10:18 PM, maxplanck58 said:

Thoughts on ARK 2 and ARK the Animated Series?

How do you guys feel about ARK 2 and the animated series? I'm super excited!

Check out Syntac's ARK 2 trailer breakdown and reaction video here:

its a very long that i don't enjoy looking cartoons. So if it is good or bad maybe we should ask someone from Disney company.

And for trailer I'm trying to guess Wildcard message with that kid in video ( maybe Santiago daughter).

lets elaborate it lol

- Tribe who will accept kids in tribe will have some special reward for doing it.

And

Gamer who pay Ark 2 and didn't pay Ark 1 and all payable dlcs will be forced to play as a kid only, unless he buy old Ark 1 with all dlcs.

lol.

- The game will be dedicated to  grandmothers and grandfathers to have the opportunity to socialize with grandchildren or with those who didn't  buy old game  and all additional parts so have to play as kids.

lol.

- santiago role in tribe is to sit on egg (which one woman - maybe wife carries around ) with his big ass til egg hatch and new small santiago come out unless they didn't applied fertilizer on that egg or is egg just slow spoiling food.

I suppose that woman don't have a whip because whip was not invented jet at this time and also because Santiago is left on wandering and seem also on aggressive.

lol.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:46 PM, maxplanck58 said:

I wasn't a fan of the partitioned biomes at first in Genesis, but after giving it a shot and playing it for a while I think they made some really good design decisions, at least with how it works with my tastes.  For me Ark is the most exciting when you just start with a new character: hiding and running from even low level predators, scraping by in the wild looking for a good spot to set camp, then building structures with defense in mind.  Before getting wyverns and gigas, the maps are huge and the challenges are many (PvE, that is).  Once you get the big tames, there is no more challenge save boss fights - and those require a good amount of preparation and organization with others.  With Genesis, the lack of flyers keep the biomes big.  And many of the alpha missions provide just as much challenge as some boss fights, but without the grinding preparation or reliance on too many others.  I think those were really wise design decisions.

Sorry for the late reply...don't get me wrong, i think that the artwork behind ark is fantastic in every single iteration, but and I like how the developers are looking for ways to extend the mid game, but i felt like genesis and extinction are stretched thin, simply because they are trying to incorporate/balance multiple themes and universes into the map. I would also like to see them expand on the idea of primitive, thrilling survival, but with close attention to detail.

I know that scorched earth is a much hated map, particularly among  the pvp community for the disadvantages it brings (electric storms anyone?), but i really appreciated the amount of detail. Upon hearing about a desert map i was concerned because deserts seem o boring and dry but I was pleasantly surprised, from the dunes, cliffs, caves and canyons...Then abberation came out and man...that level design really put all the others to shame...unfortunately I also hated it because I'm not a big alien guy but to each's own. 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:49 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

The game was at its peak in the first 2 years before all the unbalanced stupidity was added. Giant nonsense creatures that are taller then skyscrapers with 500 000 HP? Ridiculous giant robots with swords? DILO were they thinking. The game truly jumped the shark at that point.

Also the addition of XRAY vision goggles/dinos that remove skillful play from the game was another brain failure. The Parasaur and Snow Owl detection bullcrap is all around bad for gameplay.

Well Forza...first of all glad to see you still here. I've seen you on these threads over the years, so I'm glad an OG is tuning in to Ark 2. I for one cant enjoy the game like i use to but i gotta admit that i agree with you. I try to sympathize with the rest of the community now though and admittedly it seems like this is the sort of content that the community enjoys. I think its time to accept the fact that the developers have chose to move the game into a different direction, which is probably why i have quit playing ark like i use to and now prefer to just tune in with the community from time to time.

Raising my glass to better days and all the OG players out there. 

On 1/15/2021 at 11:41 AM, Noa said:

We didn't get any info about Ark 2 till now.

We had highly unrelated and misleading short vid on Ark 2 which do not show anything about how Ark 2 will be.

So simply we need more info about game.

Maybe info like this - will we have distance restrictions on structures aka "you are too close to enemy foundation".

Snap solutions with building.

Solid surface without fear to suddenly fall under ground and disabled Wildcard  anti mesh killer.

How will lok user interface and tribe management and what incentives will be for joining in a tribe .

Structures auto decay time and food spoil rates.

Tame group management specially on follow - (you now get mobed and blocked by own tames no mater what settings you use for follow distance and targeting distance)

Info about in game chat, trading and mailing system interface.

Avatar security and solutions for avatar, items and dino lost upon transfer.

How will be communication between players and Wildcard. It will be still ester egg hunt on twitter, Facebook, Discord and many future channels or will devs be forced to finally communicate in one central place like official forum?

How many postponing is planed?

With new engine what are hardware and software requirements?

Range of price to buy Ark 2?

And an sea more info about Ark 2.

Maybe to explain kids seen in video and how Wildcard is planning to force players to take kid role and play as a kid in game.

So i sorta agree that the info provided was sort of discreet but the things you are describing are not trailer worthy, just patch note worthy, which should be in ark one not ark 2.

I disagree about having no info provided. From the trailer we know that the game is a direct sequel. I say that because the protagonist of the trailer clearly recognizes tek and can communicate with it to navigate the ark, telling me that  we are set in a time post simulation.

Also just a speculation but when the characters arrived at the second destination beyond the cave they seemed more relaxed and almost AT HOME. Im going to throw my conspiracy theory out there right now and speculate that there is going to be a player hub in Ark 2 that exists to facilitate communications and end hostilities...

On 1/9/2021 at 8:07 AM, wizard03 said:

storyline......you start off with amnesia, trying to figure things out, meet some NPC's, maybe talk to a voice in your inplant, they guide you for first stages, then the curtains fall and you must follow the direction you was pointed in....helpfull advice, side quests, ect. ect. But also the main adventure, difficult challanges getting harder and harder, and then finally the big boss fight. You win, you get told the full story. Maybe you get you memories back, maybe you settle on trying to make you new life work, maybe it can all be fixed in the end if you strive hard enough. But to spice things up, you can move on to a new map and start from scratch all over again.....Maybe you keep the older engrams or technology, but with new dino's to tame, new tools to research, and different materials to build with, it all feels like a new run. 
End game should just feel like you have overcome the odds and somehow made it by the hair on your teeth, but should include a story with answers to the ark

So the part of your post that really intrigued me is when you mention starting a new map. Would this be a random gen? if so then how would you balance things out if the terrain provided an extremely strong vantage point for the defenders, or a map seed that has all the metal deposits in one area. I know the devs experimented in random gen before but couldn't make it work, however i do like the idea.

On the other end, if we aren't talking about random gen maps, then what would keep the experience fresh? and what would incentivize players to abandon their tames and start over? speaking from experience the majority of players seem to prefer holding on to their perfect bred mutants, rather than having a new run. That's not me being snarky, that is experience coming from this exact conversation with a tribe when are are trying to decide if it is worth retreating to a new server or standing our ground after being raided hard. I really do like the idea of a more independently driven experience though. 

23 minutes ago, Logan96 said:

So i sorta agree that the info provided was sort of discreet but the things you are describing are not trailer worthy, just patch note worthy, which should be in ark one not ark 2.

I disagree about having no info provided. From the trailer we know that the game is a direct sequel. I say that because the protagonist of the trailer clearly recognizes tek and can communicate with it to navigate the ark, telling me that  we are set in a time post simulation.

Also just a speculation but when the characters arrived at the second destination beyond the cave they seemed more relaxed and almost AT HOME. Im going to throw my conspiracy theory out there right now and speculate that there is going to be a player hub in Ark 2 that exists to facilitate communications and end hostilities...

Seem we have different expectations and needs with upcoming Ark 2

You are fine with some trailer and do not need other info, you probably don't need Ark 2 as a game at all.

But if Wildcard want to advertise game then they should give info about game and not hide it into some patch notes nobody can see it on epic or steam and sell trailers, animated films and other fantasy separately to fans of that kind of films and cartoons.

1 hour ago, Noa said:

Seem we have different expectations and needs with upcoming Ark 2

You are fine with some trailer and do not need other info, you probably don't need Ark 2 as a game at all.

But if Wildcard want to advertise game then they should give info about game and not hide it into some patch notes nobody can see it on epic or steam and sell trailers, animated films and other fantasy separately to fans of that kind of films and cartoons.

I have always been an advocate for more information to the player and i would absolutely love to have more info provided, but lets not forget that a company has a reputation and if they provide too much information too soon and have to go back on that information, then they become unreliable. I expect that this trailer is merely setting the context and that we will probably see a few more trailers that will reveal more detail about the game before it is ever released.  

Nothing would please me more than getting more info, but you are correct in assuming that i do not need more. I enjoyed the first so much that i will be buying the second, regardless of the trailers provided. I believe that ark is the the leader in the open world mmo sandbox genre and i intend to be a part of it!

Also i don't believe patch notes are  a means to hiding features, but rather a means of recognizing their faults and letting the community know that they have fixed said faults. I expect any features within patch notes to be implemented within a sequel, which is  why i would rather see your suggestions implemented in such a way, because they are definitely good suggestions...

Archived