Cluster Complication (Detailed)

Hey all, thank you for reading.

I've been hosting a dedicated server on a private machine for my whole family (Several of us) for the past month and a half or so. We recently purchased the Genesis Season's Pass for all of us, so I decided to try and set up a cluster.

I've read many posts, (most of which quite dated), and I've watched many tutorials; most helpful of which were Neddy's and CWATTY's    . Both in depth and informative.

I'm using Ark Service Manager (ASM) for it's convenience, build 320.50. These are the relevant settings (that I'm aware of). 1658702344_ASMSettings1.jpg.cf585767dff9e5c5b5821c9e9e046807.jpg

Additionally, I have taken Nibbly's advice to avoid using "ranges" when port forwarding, therefor I've port forwarded each individual port independently of each other. I've port forwarded 7777-7782 as well as Query's 27015-27017 and RCON 32330 and 32333 on both my Firewall, and my Router.

1486565397_ArkPortForwarding1.jpg.c891329f97c0b71f63ad1f2fc7e76923.jpg

Ideally I was aiming to port forward for 3 servers so to host Ragnarok (first map), the Island and another. I'm upgrading to a 1TB SSD and 32GB RAM (currently running 16) next week.

So far, we've not had any issues what so ever playing together on my Ragnarok server over the past month or so. Half of us even started with the Epic Games version before upgrading to Steam; no issues!

But for the life of me I just can't figure out what I'm missing here. I have traveled to each Oblisk, I have traveled to many supply drops, and I have even spawned in a Tek Transmitter and there is no upload survivor option, and when I select "Travel to another server" nothing comes up in the server list. I have confirmed that all mods running are mutual and up to date on both servers, and neither are PW protected (exclusive join only).

I read this post HERE on the forums, but even after going to the main menu and navigating to the server list to change my filters (didn't actually need any changing); it doesn't resolve the issue. My server's still show up independently from the main menu servers list, and I can join either of them individually; but I am unable to get my character from Ragnarok to Genesis; which to me defeat's the purpose of a cluster. 

I've not had any performance issues hosting/playing on the same machine, there's been no latency issues as we have quality internet. I simply cannot figure this out. I've been at it for going on 3 days now and could really use some help.

I did my best to include the steps I've taken to resolve this; I'm sorry if I've missed anything. I did also try disabling my firewall entirely, both on PC and my router just to test it and see; but there was no change.

I'm desperate here. This is how my family spends time together, and I've been out of work for a while due to some medical issues. With all the crap going on in the world right now, I really need to resolve this issue and would sincerely appreciate any assitance.

Thanks in advance. Truly
Some dude.
Steam: AlphaObeisance

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got Cluster Directory Override ticked in the ASM settings. That's pictured in the first image, 2nd section. Dug into the actual txt to confirm ASM was doing it's job. Looks good, I think?

Server 1

start "KIN- BGenesis" /abovenormal "C:\ASM-Data Directory\Servers\Server1\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Genesis?listen?Port=7779?QueryPort=27017?MaxPlayers=25?ServerAutoForceRespawnWildDinosInterval=86400?AllowCrateSpawnsOnTopOfStructures=False -ActiveEvent=none -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -clusterid=d3l1v3ryb01 -ClusterDirOverride="C:\ASM-Data Directory" -NoTransferFromFiltering -UseBattlEye -forcerespawndinos -servergamelogincludetribelogs -ServerRCONOutputTribeLogs -usecache -exclusivejoin -nosteamclient -game -server -log

Server 2

start "KIN- ARagnarok" /abovenormal "C:\ASM-Data Directory\Servers\Server2\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=25?ServerAutoForceRespawnWildDinosInterval=86400?AllowCrateSpawnsOnTopOfStructures=False -ActiveEvent=none -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -clusterid=d3l1v3ryb01 -ClusterDirOverride="C:\ASM-Data Directory" -NoTransferFromFiltering -UseBattlEye -forcerespawndinos -servergamelogincludetribelogs -ServerRCONOutputTribeLogs -usecache -exclusivejoin -nosteamclient -game -server -log

Nagivating to "C:\ASM-Data Directory\clusters\d3l1v3ryb01" yields a single file. But I don't know what it is. It's titled "76561198080407442".

Would it make a difference if I changed the -ClusterDirOverride= to "C:\ASM-Data Directory\clusters\d3l1v3ryb01" to accurately reflect the direct path? The actual d3l1v3ryb01 folder inside the cluster directory has a single file in it, so I would assume it's working?

Just spitballing at this point.

(posting limit reached) Feel free to DM via Steam, I don't bite. I appreciate your time. I need to get a bit of shut eye but will check back in a few hours. Thanks again.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Update:

I installed a Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 drive today and added 16gb more of RAM. In doing so I decided to give the server a fresh attempt only this time WITHOUT Ark Service Manager.

I've got all 3 servers up and running, but this issue persists. The only thing I've noticed is that for some odd reason while I've got the -clusteroverride directory set to C:\Users\delto\Desktop\KIN\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\ShooterGame\Saved\clusters

But whenever I launch the server it creates it's own directory here...

C:\Users\delto\Desktop\KIN\steamapps\common

Which makes 0 sense because that's not even in the games directory.

I was going to hire NeddyTheNoodle for some assistance, but according to the discord channel I was directed too from his YouTube, he no longer offers direct assistance; understandably considering his growing channels.

So I'm at a stand still and feeling pretty discouraged. I've done absolutely everything I can think of. Could really use a hand.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 1/7/2021 at 4:15 AM, AlphaObeisance said:

Nagivating to "C:\ASM-Data Directory\clusters\d3l1v3ryb01" yields a single file. But I don't know what it is. It's titled "76561198080407442".

Well, that's the data associated to your SteamID (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198080407442) meaning that your cluster was setup properly.

4 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Well, that's the data associated to your SteamID (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198080407442) meaning that your cluster was setup properly.

I suppose that's a ray of sunlight in this dark experience. I just set up a static IP on both my router and my Server so hopefully I'll see some progress. I've got my entire family just waiting on me at this point. We've made a bunch of progress together but can't do anything because I keep shutting the server down to test modifications just trying to get this to work! 😆

15 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

Do any of your family live elsewhere? and if yes can they see the other servers?

When you host and play on the same network you need NAT loopbacks enabled on the router otherwise you won't be able to see the other servers at an obelisk or beacon

Yea. I reside in Nebraska while I've got family in as far as Idaho that join my server. I looked for NAT Loopback but don't see the option anywhere. I think I'd looked for it once before but wasn't finding it.

According to the Browser tab when accessing my router, I'm using an Arris TR4400.

EDIT: Ok, so I found the NAT settings and it is enabled. RoutedWithNAT, RoutedWithoutNAT, and Bridged are my options.

Capture.PNG

Do they have the same issue?

At the moment I'd definitely say it's NAT that's causing it as it will allow you to see and join the servers from the browser but not from an obelisk or drop which is what is happening, if the other players have the same issue then it's something else that's causing it, your settings look good to me

8 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

Do they have the same issue?

At the moment I'd definitely say it's NAT that's causing it as it will allow you to see and join the servers from the browser but not from an obelisk or drop which is what is happening, if the other players have the same issue then it's something else that's causing it, your settings look good to me

Is this something that contacting my ISP may be able to resolve? I've run out of conclusions on this issue and honestly feel quite defeated. I'm not sure what my ISP could do for me, but it's the only thing I haven't tried.

Ok. So I just got word back. Turns out the ONLY server anyone of my family/friends can see is Ragnarok. But all the settings are identical excluding the port variations. i.e. Ragnarok (the one all can access) 7777-7778, 27015. Genesis is set up on 7779-7780, 27016. And as you can see from above, I've got all ports forwarded, but only Ragnarok is getting out there.

LAN detects all servers, but only the 7777-7778,27015 server is getting out.

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, AlphaObeisance said:

Ok. So I just got word back. Turns out the ONLY server anyone of my family/friends can see is Ragnarok. But all the settings are identical excluding the port variations. i.e. Ragnarok (the one all can access) 7777-7778, 27015. Genesis is set up on 7779-7780, 27016. And as you can see from above, I've got all ports forwarded, but only Ragnarok is getting out there.

LAN detects all servers, but only the 7777-7778,27015 server is getting out.

Checked your firewall's inbound rules to make sure they are all allowed to go through?

On 1/11/2021 at 10:23 PM, invincibleqc said:

Checked your firewall's inbound rules to make sure they are all allowed to go through?

Indeed, I did a fresh install to windows after getting my SSD and started from scratch. I've confirmed (pictured below) the Firewall should have all ports forwarded accurately. I'm again using Ark Server Manager for it's convenience, but it's doing everything it's supposed to according to the files I've inspected. 

I also just got off the phone with my ISP who had a supervisor look into it and they stated I'd set up port forwarding perfectly; so now I'm REALLY confused. 

Capture.PNG

EDIT: 1/13/2021 14:18
We were able to get the servers to show up by having external users add the servers to their steam servers list using the query port. Confirmed one could join. But the servers are still not visible from the Oblisk for proper data transfer of character. I had to manually copy the saved arks data to the secondary server. Obviously this would be a pain in the tail to have to copy saved arks data anytime someone wanted to swap servers. 

What an intriguing issue, albeit aggerating to say the least.

I tried deleting the cluster directory to see if the game would re-create the path upon server restart; it does. But it is not saving any data there beyond having created directory. 

By switching the Cluster ID to C:\\fullpath it DID enable us to see a server list within game, but we were unable to see OUR servers. 

2.jpg

Some time ago, I found that specifying the drive letter caused issues - but I can't remember the details now.  Try removing the "C:" part of your path.
\Users\delto\Desktop\KIN\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\ShooterGame\Saved\clusters

The other thing is that spaces in pathnames can sometimes cause issues.
Try wrapping the path in quotation marks to see if that makes a difference.

31 minutes ago, Larkfields said:

Some time ago, I found that specifying the drive letter caused issues - but I can't remember the details now.  Try removing the "C:" part of your path.
\Users\delto\Desktop\KIN\steamapps\common\ARK Survival Evolved Dedicated Server\ShooterGame\Saved\clusters

The other thing is that spaces in pathnames can sometimes cause issues.
Try wrapping the path in quotation marks to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your response! I set "Custom Cross-ARK Data Transfer ClusterID" to \KINServer\ASM\clusters to reflect the change; excluding the drive as suggested. No change in status. While we can still see a populated server listed from an oblisk now, our servers are not a part of that list. 

I shut down servers, modified Custom Cross-ARK Data Transfer ClusterID to "\KINServer\ASM\clusters" including quotations also as you'd suggested; but unfortunately there was no visible change.

Just a screenshot of the populated server list, something that previously by defining Custom Cross-ARK Data Transfer ClusterID as D3l1v3ryb01 would not provide (as pictured in previous post above). 
20210113175101_1.thumb.jpg.cf2b625d9c1c94b0f21c25e00b247b90.jpg

Screenshot of server list when filtering for KIN of Hera, as is our server title. 
20210113175449_1.thumb.jpg.190879af75ea194e7616af0434f9cdda.jpg

HUGE thank you for chiming in on this topic, doing this 100% solo has been highly discouraging. Especially after the ISP said I'd set up all of my ports perfectly. This has been a real kick in the knackers! Unfortunately there seems to be no change in removing C:\ or adding quotations to the directory. 

Try changing the query port to 27017 on the Genesis server, I don't know if it will work and on the wiki it shows query ports next to each other but I was told to keep them 2 apart and it's always worked fine for me, I've checked other clusters I've played on and they're all 2 apart, same goes for official servers that I've found with the same ip address

As I've said before everything looks good from here, I was thinking their may be an issue with your ISP blocking ports but you've spoken to them so I'm sure they'd have mentioned it, I just have my cluster id in the box with no path and the override box checked, it's created "clusters/cluster id/" in the data folder, not much in it apart from a file with my steam id same as what you posted previously, only other thing I have slightly different is the static ip address is set on the router and not in the IPv4 properties but that shouldn't make any difference

Can you please try the following start commands?

Ragnarok

start "KIN- BRagnarok" /abovenormal "C:\ASM-Data Directory\Servers\Server1\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?SessionName=MyGenesisTestServer?listen?MultiHome=0.0.0.0?QueryPort=27015?Port=7777?MaxPlayers=25? -ActiveEvent=none -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -clusterid=mytstclstrdir -ClusterDirOverride=C:/ClusterTestDir/mytstclstrdir/ -NoTransferFromFiltering -UseBattlEye -ForceRespawnDinos -USEALLAVAILABLECORES

Genesis

start "KIN- BGenesis" /abovenormal "C:\ASM-Data Directory\Servers\Server2\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Genesis?SessionName=MyGenesisTestServer?listen?MultiHome=0.0.0.0?QueryPort=27017?Port=7779?MaxPlayers=25? -ActiveEvent=none -ForceAllowCaveFlyers -clusterid=mytstclstrdir -ClusterDirOverride=C:/ClusterTestDir/mytstclstrdir/ -NoTransferFromFiltering -UseBattlEye -ForceRespawnDinos -USEALLAVAILABLECORES

Create for Testing

"C:/ClusterTestDir/mytstclstrdir/" with full access for everyone

Btw. your ports access is to much!

GAME-PORT (UDP)    
RAW-PORT (PEER) (UDP)    
QUERY (UDP)    
RCONPORT (TCP)

Thats enough to open.

5 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

Try changing the query port to 27017 on the Genesis server, I don't know if it will work and on the wiki it shows query ports next to each other but I was told to keep them 2 apart and it's always worked fine for me, I've checked other clusters I've played on and they're all 2 apart, same goes for official servers that I've found with the same ip address

As I've said before everything looks good from here, I was thinking their may be an issue with your ISP blocking ports but you've spoken to them so I'm sure they'd have mentioned it, I just have my cluster id in the box with no path and the override box checked, it's created "clusters/cluster id/" in the data folder, not much in it apart from a file with my steam id same as what you posted previously, only other thing I have slightly different is the static ip address is set on the router and not in the IPv4 properties but that shouldn't make any difference

I just gave Genesis a try utilizing 27017 but no change sadly.

Yea ISP didn't mention any port blocking, as they told me I'd set up port forwarding correctly. I checked my Network Connections and I've got my static IP set to the same thing I've set it too on the router; and I've configured both my PC and the router network options to utilize DNS 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 so it's really odd to me that there's any issues at all. 

@Pleinx

I'll try your command line a bit later for sure, and get back to you. As for your statement about the ports; I had port forwarded for 3 different servers, and in the OP I entirely avoided utilizing ranges. So there's a rule for each individual port, peer, query and rcon so that's why it looks so cluttered. 

Since reinstalling windows for my new SSD, I went back in and set it up with use of ranges for ease on the eyes. Though I had just set them all up as BOTH UDP/TCP but after seeing your post I set them as you'd suggested just to see if there's any change. Capture.PNG.5502a63cb199997ea1fb6f35c524817c.PNG

9 hours ago, Larkfields said:

Does your router have a firewall built in?

Also check if you have a DMZ turned on.  Ark rarely plays well with DMZ's - which doesn't make sense.

Check that you have a static IP address on your server - and that you've used this static address in the port-forwarding setup on the router.

I looked into my router, it does have a firewall. 
Capture.PNG.38daa9679f7dae4517bfd80459c32ca2.PNG

I also checked DMZ, I had it enabled with my static IP. Attempting to disable now.
Capture2.PNG.5bdab4f336c6f1b38970ea4226345eb6.PNG

The part that confuses us the most is that our servers can be seen, and accessed from the main menu; but not from the oblisk. And the oblisks are populating LOTS of servers now, so it just seems odd that it's working that way but only providing access via the main menu. 

Seems to obviously be a cluster communication issue but can't seem to pinpoint it. 

I'm working on trying a few things, as well as making a desktop display video going through my settings so ya'll can see first hand what I'm going through. 

Additionally, a member of the server suggested that we may be required to defeat all the Ragnarok bosses before being able to transfer servers? Though to me this doesn't make sense as we are seemingly able to transfer to any number or random servers (not that I have, as I don't want to get stuck on an alternate server I'm not in control of).

Archived