Aberration questions

wizard03

Ok, so we got loaded in, made our way from begginers area to the broken bridge, and are getting our feet wet on the whole deal, but we are now getting to the point where we need to make a move to grow some more, or get going in the right direction......the question is, where is that direction? First off, we do have a couple dino's uploaded, but we don't know how to get them out.....supply drops are not offering the ability to pull anything out, we found a couple charging stations, but again. Not letting us upload or download stuff, and from what I am gathering, the only real way of getting them is by going to an obelisk which Im guessing is on the surface where deadly radiation is???
To help, this is a single player run, and I think the settings are set to PvE....While not perfectly official server style, its not modified wildly. Just a tick up for tamed health and melee per level.

Should we concern ourselves with trying to get some tames out to make life easier, or should we delve into the depths and forgo our uploads?

1 hour ago, wizard03 said:

Ok, so we got loaded in, made our way from begginers area to the broken bridge, and are getting our feet wet on the whole deal, but we are now getting to the point where we need to make a move to grow some more, or get going in the right direction......the question is, where is that direction?

In general terms:

1) Master the green zone -

* Tame ravagers + bears and rollrats + doeds

- as soon as you have good bears you can get to the edges of the blue zone to tame anky's, gigantopithecus and snails

- as soon as you have good ravagers you can start doing the first cave, the cave is good source of bluprints & upgrades, also for taming glowtails

- With ravagers you can explore anywhere in the green zone, with good ravagers you can explore with very little risk. A good ravager can either win or avoid nearly any fight in the zone.

- Spend some time exploring on ravagers, taking lots of zipline anchors with you. This is a good time to learn just how good ravagers are on this map.

- Also, spend time deliberately practicing with climbing hooks, they're quite useful but you have to make yourself use them at first if you've never played Aberration before. Once you have mastered the use of climbing hooks and installing your own ziplines you'll rapidly increase your mastery of the map.

- With bears you can own the river system. Good bears, and especially bears that are bred & imprinted, can take on anything the green zone has to offer. Even a wild tamed bear of Lvl 130 or above is going to be very strong when exploring and fighting. Just remember to stop and feed them for health frequently.

- Simple kibble - if you use a mod that collects eggs for you, the glowtails are easy to tame and are a great source of eggs for Simple kibble. If you don't have a mod that collects eggs for you then you'll want to make enough room in your base for raptors and/or trikes for their eggs.

- Regular Kibble - carno's and turtles

* Then tame spinos & karkinos
- with good bears you almost don't need spinos and karkinos, bears are capable taking on anything in the green zone and most things in the blue zone. Ravagers are great scouts and moderate fighters, bears are great fighters and moderate scouts. Spinos make the blue zone a little easier, some stuff won't attack spinos that would attack bears, and of course karkinos have benefits for exploring and for harvesting since they can carry two doeds for auto-harvesting.

Where you build your base in the green zone isn't all that important, except for your personal preferences. If you have good bears & ravagers you can get anywhere quickly, so build to suit your preferences. Regardless of whether you care more about access to resources or about the beauty of the location you pick, having good ravagers & bears means you can get any place in the green zone fairly quickly and easily.

As soon as you have good bears and some simple kibble, go to the border areas between the green/blue zones and tame dung beetles, snails, anky's, gigantopithecus as soon as you can, and then megalosaurus as a secondary goal. If you happen to see a high level megalosaurus early on then definitely make the effort to tame it, but it you don't then come back on bears in a subsequent expedition and keep exploring the blue zone to find good megalosaurus to tame.

Megalo's are the next step forwards after bears, we like them for exploring the blue zone even more than bears or spinos. The megalos are strong & fast, great for both scouting and fighting, and they will eventually be your ticket into the red zone.

First off, we do have a couple dino's uploaded, but we don't know how to get them out.....supply drops are not offering the ability to pull anything out

Are they species that are allowed to be downloaded into Aberration?

If you don't use the configuration setting that allows all species to be downloaded then there are still some species that can't be downloaded to Aberration.

The config setting you would need is "CrossARKAllowForeignDinoDownloads=true"

we found a couple charging stations, but again. Not letting us upload or download stuff

Charging stations don't do downloads, it either has to be a beacon/drop or an obelisk on the surface.

The surface doesn't have radiation, but if you go out in the day time the sunlight kills you, nothing protects against that. You have to go out at night and even then it's a dangerous place. Just as a side note, the radiation is down in the red zone.

If you haven't read it already, this would be a good time for you to completely read the Aberration page on the wiki, it will really help you understand Aberration better.

To help, this is a single player run, and I think the settings are set to PvE....While not perfectly official server style, its not modified wildly. Just a tick up for tamed health and melee per level.

Food for thought: I prefer PvP settings because that allows you to use the megalosaurus and karkinos to pick up wild animals,  which you can't do with PvE settings. With PvE settings you have to kite everything into a taming trap which can be a pain in the neck in some places. Being able to pick up and carry animals with the megalo and karkinos is pretty handy.

Should we concern ourselves with trying to get some tames out to make life easier, or should we delve into the depths and forgo our uploads?

Personally, my group likes to play each map using only the species that are allowed by default, and we like to start each new map from scratch, leveling, building, taming as we progress through the map. This is the best way, in my opinion, to really learn the strengths & weaknesses of all the native species and to learn how to master the map without giving ourselves any extra advantages.

On 12/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, Yggdrassil said:

You can go up to the surface on a long night cycle so you have more time but its a bit of pain, especially if you are on foot. Without a transmitter i find ab a pain. Depends on your goal, do you really need you tames? remember you cant use tames like, rex, giga and theri anyway.

On 12/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

I would recommend taming some high level ravages and breeding them. Wait till 90% night and head to the northwest surface. You can zip line up and your ravages should be able to hold off the reapers long enough to get to the obelisk. 

got to one, took my revengers and a sneaky rock hole cause I had a reaper Unicorn me, but finally got to one......no argies allowed "cry's"

On 12/30/2020 at 10:07 AM, Pipinghot said:

Sorry I cleared yours out, but wanted the space to reply without a huge wall o text from me and your messages
Been using the revengers for the most part, defiantly picked up the role of the argy fairly well, but its a dang shame that A. I didn't know they could walk on the zip lines till yesterday, and B. wish they could fly. x.x Rock drakes are going to be a god send. As for the bears, its tempting, we have a wild hive nearby and been thinking about using the bear to harvest honey, but been skipping over them for crabs. Iv got about 3 crabs now, lvl 65-120 + taming, but been trying to figure out how to get the blue gems for the saddles. My discovery of the revengers using natural zip lines may have solved that, but as for the bears. Maybe get one, might not...... No mods sadly, xbone.

I am keeping my eye's peeled for the meglos....I got super lucky on scorched earth and found a 150 and 145 pair, and started breeding the heck out of them, but supposedly only the aberration ones are the ones who will stay awake all the time instead of at night?

just found out they cannot be uploaded without admin settings. It sucks, but its also a challange. Im going to keep going for now, but if I get tired of it, Ill turn my argy loose, nothing like a lvl 320 argy going around and nailing reapers for the hell of it......Was unsure of the radiation area's, but will keep that in mind if I get any other questions that pop up.

the reason for PvE is I hate waiting to avoid cryo sickness, but if we lost ability to pick animals up, that will change immediately.

And lastly, yeah. I actually wanted to start a brand new character and do the same as well, but mom was all about the tek cabnets and crap. XD I thought, well if we are going to do it, lets go ahead and get all the stuff together to try and make this as less painfull as possible.
Granted, we have pretty much gone through this all the same as a brand new run, but after discovering the inability to download an argy, Im moveing more towards depending on map tames than the ability to download.....gotta explore some more tho, allmost allways getting lost anytime I accidentally fall down x.x

Archived