xmas event baby dino consumption

Muucow

*backstory* Last week, raised 14 baby mantis on 7 tek troughs using raw meat(yeah i know they receive less food from raw as opposed to spoiled)while i was at work through 12 hour shifts. and had no issues, they ate approximately 3.5-4 troughs out of the 7 i had filled.

*currently* log in today after sleeping to check on my new batch of 10 mantis which included my first melee mutation ive gotten since mantis became breedable same trough setup 7 full raw meat troughs was offline for 6 hours after filling. to find all but 2 of the babies dead and 7 empty troughs. rushed podded the 2 that were still alive and filled the troughs. put the 2 back out and watched, over the next half hour those 2 adolescent mantis ate 4 full stacks of food.

question anyone else noticed that baby/juv/adoles food consumption has been absorbingly high over (tribemate has been saying the same thing about crystal wyverns eating crystals)the last few days? 

• Volunteer Moderator
28 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Haven't noticed any change, no. Probably the reason is your base wasn't rendered much last time and this time was rendered a lot more.

We used to breed gigas on official in the early days in caves for this reason. Stasis / hibernation has a HUGE effect on almost every function in the game

It was fixed at the same time they fixed "floating babies". Your meat will last slightly longer in stasis though, because babies will eat before any spoilage is applied. However, there are a key difference in how the meat is distributed while babies are rendered vs when they goes out stasis. When any player is around, they will all take a bite every now and then resulting into the food available in troughs being distributed evenly. But when they go out of stasis, they will eat as much as they need one at a time. So, you ends up with some eating, and some others starving if you didn't have enough food for them all to be at 100% their current max food although they would likely be all fine and still at 50% if they would have been rendered because the ones that starved would have had the chance to take a bite every once in a while before the troughs are emptied.

Anyways, something else that can alter your planned food is; alliances. If an allied player come near your troughs with a starving mount, it will eat from them.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

It was fixed at the same time they fixed "floating babies". Your meat will last slightly longer in stasis though, because babies will eat before any spoilage is applied. However, there are a key difference in how the meat is distributed while babies are rendered vs when they goes out stasis. When any player is around, they will all take a bite every now and then resulting into the food available in troughs being distributed evenly. But when they go out of stasis, they will eat as much as they need one at a time. So, you ends up with some eating, and some others starving if you didn't have enough food for them all to be at 100% their current max food although they would likely be all fine and still at 50% if they would have been rendered because the ones that starved would have had the chance to take a bite every once in a while before the troughs are emptied.

Anyways, something else that can alter your planned food is; alliances. If an allied player come near your troughs with a starving mount, it will eat from them.

Thank you!! I always suspected there was more than the 'render glitch' going on with the dinos being raised offline / stasis etc. Its good to know that bit about the food %, something to keep in the back of the mind for sure!

Floating babies as the mantis or the old floating babies in water? Aah the good days. It was weird having full breeding pens ..in the ocean XD

Archived