What will happen to Ark 1 when Ark 2 launch?

GMLlefutur

1 hour ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Was there ever a real possibility that ark would continue on for 10 more years? 5 more years ? It's a natural cycle that successful games get sequels.

Inevitably one day all that hard breeding or building work was going to evaporate anyway, so with that said all we can really debate is the timing of the sequel.

A 2022 sequel to a 2015 (or even 2017) game is by no means a rush job and we still have at minimum an entire year to say goodbye.

I don't know about anyone else but I think gen2 looks absolutely fantastic thus far so hopefully the swan song for a1 will be really strong then we can gear up for the next "evolution" of the series.

WoW.....among many many many others.

1 hour ago, Usuallyafk said:

Everyone knows WoW is MMORPG. This wasn't what was asked. Ark is very similar to modern MMORPGs. When you chime in, know what you're even trying to say a "little". It has no relevance to the first comment.

By the way, after re-reading (like I did before) your comparison is still wrong. WoW is an MMORPG. This is not. This isn't like a 'modern mmorpg' either, it's a sandbox survival game. You're still comparing Ferrari's to cedar hedges.

Just thought I'd like to let you know how little I knew when I decide to chime in.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

My point is - ark demands huge time investment and it's natural that people get upset, knowing that there is a huge probability of all their hard work disappearing in a year or two.

Let me point out some other facts, because you lot seem  all doom and gloom about this which just baffles me.

How many people have lost ALL their hard work during Ark migrations? Boom, no different to if any Ark servers close when Ark 2 comes up. But ya'll act like this is anything different.

Why do you all think that Ark will be shut down at release of Ark 2 when Gen 2 will have only been out for a year? You honestly think they'll let you play on Gen 2 for a year then shut it down?

I mean enough with the end of Ark conspiracy theories. Stop the doom and gloom.

1 hour ago, GP said:

Let me point out some other facts, because you lot seem  all doom and gloom about this which just baffles me.

How many people have lost ALL their hard work during Ark migrations? Boom, no different to if any Ark servers close when Ark 2 comes up. But ya'll act like this is anything different.

Why do you all think that Ark will be shut down at release of Ark 2 when Gen 2 will have only been out for a year? You honestly think they'll let you play on Gen 2 for a year then shut it down?

I mean enough with the end of Ark conspiracy theories. Stop the doom and gloom.

A year or two. Yes, I do think so. Why would they keep and support 2 games competing with each other?

As for vicious cycle of getting and losing stuff. Maybe that's just it. A lot of legacy servers are closed by now. Those were ditched for brand new servers which supposed to be free of duping, meshing and everything bad in ark, but they wasn't.

Ark2 has a chance to do much better if they do it from scratch, though for me personally it could be simply unplayable due to higher hardware requirements. WC  might try to "cheat" by copy-pasting too much of old code. Their management and investors will probably stay the same so it's not unrealistic to expect rushed releases.

It's not just losing stuff(once again), but possibly losing stuff for nothing. Without any significant benefit.

• Volunteer Moderator
47 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

A year or two. Yes, I do think so. Why would they keep and support 2 games competing with each other?

As for vicious cycle of getting and losing stuff. Maybe that's just it. A lot of legacy servers are closed by now. Those were ditched for brand new servers which supposed to be free of duping, meshing and everything bad in ark, but they wasn't.

Ark2 has a chance to do much better if they do it from scratch, though for me personally it could be simply unplayable due to higher hardware requirements. WC  might try to "cheat" by copy-pasting too much of old code. Their management and investors will probably stay the same so it's not unrealistic to expect rushed releases.

It's not just losing stuff(once again), but possibly losing stuff for nothing. Without any significant benefit.

So you honestly think they will release Gen 2 then shut it all down a year later, I mean that's tinfoil hat stuff right there.

Oh by the way, you think Ark 2 will release and they'd stop all support including for PlayStation users? Man I don't understand how some people's minds work.

You are all causing your own stress by stressing over such things.

1 hour ago, GP said:

So you honestly think they will release Gen 2 then shut it all down a year later, I mean that's tinfoil hat stuff right there.

Oh by the way, you think Ark 2 will release and they'd stop all support including for PlayStation users? Man I don't understand how some people's minds work.

You are all causing your own stress by stressing over such things.

Why wouldn't they? Ark doesn't have a subscription payment model. No microtransactions either. As soon as I bought the game or DLC, I don't matter anymore.

1 year after DLC release it's already "cold". Same for ark1 in general. Only reason to spend more money on it is if sells were still booming. Now I have no idea if it is or isn't so, but would be very surprised if ark1 sells was high enough to consider developing it any further after ark2 release. And that's now, 1-2 years from now it would be worse.

Alright, you got me. I'm crazy tinfoil crackpot conspiracy theorist. Now can we move from discussing my personality to actual arguments please?

What's so special about PS users? If I'm right, they would have same treatment as everyone else - play ark1 in SP or buy ark2 for MP.

Do you think ark2 will be PC exclusive? I doubt it. Even more reasons to get rid of ark1, because branching to several different platforms and keeping it all could be too much.

Now I'll go into conspiracy theory territory and predict that ark2 will have microtransactions. You can do so much with it in ark. xp and maturation boosters, mutation chance increasing pills, drop quality raiser... possibilities are endless. It makes sense to me that all available dev resources would be moved to a goldmine project instead of giving CPR to a dead horse.

If I'm right, I will find you and tell you "I told you so". I invite you to do the same if I'm wrong 😃

13 hours ago, d1nk said:

By the way, after re-reading (like I did before) your comparison is still wrong. WoW is an MMORPG. This is not. This isn't like a 'modern mmorpg' either, it's a sandbox survival game. You're still comparing Ferrari's to cedar hedges.

Just thought I'd like to let you know how little I knew when I decide to chime in.

Thanks for saving me the time it would take to explain that an MMORPG is in fact different than a survival game with 70 people a server.

• Volunteer Moderator
9 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

As soon as I bought the game or DLC, I don't matter anymore.

This is just dumb rubbish people spout not even worth listening to.

9 hours ago, deedoubleu said:

What's so special about PS users? If I'm right, they would have same treatment as everyone else - play ark1 in SP or buy ark2 for MP.

Do you think ark2 will be PC exclusive? I doubt it. Even more reasons to get rid of ark1, because branching to several different platforms and keeping it all could be too much.

Ark 2 will be exclusive to Xbox and PC at launch, and will likely remain like that until official release assuming they do early access. It is likely not to come to PS for at least a year, so looking at 2023. You think they'd switch all the official servers off and leave out the PS players for so long.

I mean i've not heard such dumb rubbish.

I'm done going over this with nothing but foolish tinfoil hattery.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:09 AM, GMLlefutur said:

Since the big announcement for Ark 2, I am questionning my self about the future of Ark 1.

Short answer: It depends.

It depends on how well ARK 2 sells.

It depends on how many ARK players like ARK2 better and stop playing ARK1.

It depends on how many copies of ARK1 they keep selling after ARK2 goes live.

In other words... it depends on money.

There are a couple of things you can be sure of:

1) There will be fewer people buying and playing ARK1. That doesn't necessarily mean that ARK1 will die, lots of companies have more than one version of their games running at the same time.

2) As a result of #1, there will be fewer Official servers for ARK1 after ARK2 launches. They will do the same thing they did with the Early Access servers, if there aren't enough people using each individual server to justify the expense of keeping them running, WildCard will consolidate and/or shut down servers based on their own internal financial decision making process.

On 12/24/2020 at 2:09 AM, GMLlefutur said:

I know playing Ark is fun, this game is great but sadly all my motivation is gone atm.

ARK is just a game, and like every game you should only play it if you're having fun. If you're not having fun then don't, if you are having fun then do. Games are entertained and if the game is not entertaining you and making you happy then do/play something else.

1 hour ago, GP said:

This is just dumb rubbish people spout not even worth listening to.

Ark 2 will be exclusive to Xbox and PC at launch, and will likely remain like that until official release assuming they do early access. It is likely not to come to PS for at least a year, so looking at 2023. You think they'd switch all the official servers off and leave out the PS players for so long.

I mean i've not heard such dumb rubbish.

I'm done going over this with nothing but foolish tinfoil hattery.

Do you think there will even be an EA stage? I think they are a legit gaming company now, huge popular multi platform games, big star headlining their game, wouldn't it just release fully? I've heard it mentioned a few times here on the forum, I'm thinking its not.

Whatcha think?

• Volunteer Moderator
10 hours ago, d1nk said:

Do you think there will even be an EA stage? I think they are a legit gaming company now, huge popular multi platform games, big star headlining their game, wouldn't it just release fully? I've heard it mentioned a few times here on the forum, I'm thinking its not.

Whatcha think?

Yes it's very possible that they may go straight to release. They certainly aren't the small company they were in 2015.

• Volunteer Moderator
On 12/26/2020 at 5:18 AM, deedoubleu said:

Now I'll go into conspiracy theory territory and predict that ark2 will have microtransactions. You can do so much with it in ark. xp and maturation boosters, mutation chance increasing pills, drop quality raiser... possibilities are endless. It makes sense to me that all available dev resources would be moved to a goldmine project instead of giving CPR to a dead horse.

I wouldn't go so far as to say this won't happen but the reason ARK 1 didn't have microtransactions is because the devs stated a few times they really disliked them.

ARK: Survival Evolved

The Imminent Extinction Event

by Rio Riordan

Unity Gaming Group

In 2014, Studio wildcard in collaboration with Instinct Games, Efecto Studios, and Virtual Basement began development on Ark Survival Evolved. The player(s), find themselves in a survival situation reminiscent of Jurassic Park and a popular TV show ‘Naked and Afraid.’ Players awake on an Island inhabited by prehistoric denizens with nothing but a loin cloth and innate desire to not be a hungry Raptor’s midday snack. During these adventures, players begin to unlock and discover that their presence on the island isn’t by coincidence, and that they are ultimately an experiment to determine if humanity will be able to survive in what we later discover is mankind’s ruination of Earth. Through determination and a hint of luck, the players uncover the secrets of the Ark and find themselves facing the overlords of the Ark in a final challenge to ascend to the next phase of their trials.

Fast forward to December of 2020, hot off the presses of an announcement about Ark 2. Little to nothing is known about the next rendition of Ark with the exception of “Players will be thrust into a brutal new world of primitive survival against both beast and man.”

So the question remains, what does this actually mean for the original game’s community? At the time of this writing the players are under expectations that the final Ark: Survival Evolved map, Genesis 2 part 2, will be released this March along with a good amount of speculation that there will be additional features added from a long list of things the community has asked for. In addition to these “features” many anticipate further polishing and patches to fix game issues that have been long-standing issues for years. Ultimately, there is a dark cloud above most player’s heads as they look onward and ask the simple question, “Is it worth playing anymore?”

With over 7,000 hours in the game personally, it’s a question that I ask myself daily. Should I bother trying to progress my dinosaur breeding lines? Should I bother building any more bases? To me, it seems like a moot point if a new Ark is on the horizon. Truth be told, I think we all look forward to a fresh start with everyone on the same level for progression. Does it pain me that all my hard work collecting, breeding, leveling, and building will suddenly become a wasted effort? Absolutely. When really looking at this situation, I ask myself if continuing to play the original Ark is worth it.

If the current way things go with MMORPGs and Multiplayer games is any indication then I would expect to see a slow decline in population on the official servers, followed by consolidation of servers over time until eventually support for all official servers ends. Given this reality, Ark: Survival Evolved is destined for extinction in favor of the next evolution in the franchise. This isn’t to say that the die hard players won’t continue to host their own unofficial / private servers for fellow players to enjoy but the end is coming. In a perfect world, Studio Wildcard would be a little more forthcoming on what to expect so that the player’s who have supported them for this long have some indication on what comes next, and can start planning around that information. At current, we know very little about the future of the original game and the extended plans on support for it, and have a vague and open to interpretation Teaser in which we must all speculate on. Meanwhile, the anxiety and hand wringing continues.

Before reading anybody elses replies, I think...

Wildcard will announce Ark 1 will remain as well as support and servers.

Once the PS version of Ark 2 is announced they will start talking of a new "Great Migration" as they consolidate inactive official servers to use that server money for Ark 2 servers.

They will also scale back before eliminating enforcement. Dev support will follow suit.

Financially it makes little sense to keep official Ark servers going. They will no longer produce even an advertisement income for new maps. 

A year or two after Ark 2 is out on all platforms, official Ark will resemble current Legacy. Just a handful of maps.

Archived