What will happen to Ark 1 when Ark 2 launch?

GMLlefutur

Hello peeps!

Since the big announcement for Ark 2, I am questionning my self about the future of Ark 1. I mean there is so much work to be done on Ark 1 (bugs fixes, dino retarded AI etc). I know Ark 2 will launch only in about 1 year or 1½ year probably a bit more. But I am scared that Wildcard will stop working on the first game Ark 1 after the Genesis part 2. I played almost 4k hours in Ark 1 until this day.  I know about the Atlas failed (this is my personal opinion, but I consider this game a big fail, I played almost 30 hours).

So I stopped playing Ark since the announcement because why should I continue playing if I think the game will die at the launch of Ark 2. I know playing Ark is fun, this game is great but sadly all my motivation is gone atm. Yes I know Ark 2 will probably be a great game after a couple of weeks of bug patching lol, but right now I have mixed feelings about Ark 2. Yes, the game is coming on a new engine, yes Vin Diesel is also in the game lol. But what will happen to Ark 1? 

• Volunteer Moderator

Do you generally stop playing every game the moment a new game is announced?

Do you stop using your mobile phone the moment a new version is announced?

If your answer to these sort of questions is no, then that's your answer for Ark.

As for what will happen to Ark 1, I believe it will continue to have fixes and patches etc. I suspect at some point new official content will stop, but I doubt it will stop being supported.

@GP

First, thanks for your reply.

To your first question, i'll say yes and no. Usully, yes when the sequel of the game is announced because my motivation drops to zero. This is why I am a big fan of devs/game studios whos still support their original game for over a decade like Arena Net with Guild Wars 1. But i'll also answer no, because I don't stop playing my favorite games when a totally new game comes out like Cyberpunk 2077.

Second question, what is the point with the new phone version? We are talking about a game here.

Finally, When you play thousands of hours in a specific game, I think it's normal to fear that a sequel will cause the original game to be abandoned. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, GMLlefutur said:

Second question, what is the point with the new phone version? We are talking about a game here.

The point was that spending thousands of hours playing a game and then a few years later a new version comes out is just the same as anything else where new things comes out and old ones become less supported. So I was curious to see if you only ever do this with games and nothing else that have similar circumstances.

1 hour ago, GMLlefutur said:

Finally, When you play thousands of hours in a specific game, I think it's normal to fear that a sequel will cause the original game to be abandoned. 

True, but also depends on the type of person. For example,

I started playing Ark June 2nd 2015 when it first released. I've played almost 8k hours, in between have taken a few breaks here and there. Absolutely love the game, no other game has come close to me spending so much time playing.

Now, Ark released 5 1/2 years ago, which is a long time for one game. No-one should be surprised about a new game after that long a time. Now on top of that, Ark 2 won't release until 2022, which means Ark will have been out for approximately 7 years by the time Ark 2 releases.

On top of all that they've still got Gen 2 releasing in March, most likely more than a year before Ark 2 releases. So why would you not be interested anymore in seeing Gen 2 just because a new game has been announced?

After playing almost 8k hours I don't feel any of that is wasted, and playing now and through Gen 2 wouldn't be considered pointless because of the enjoyment you will still get out of it.

I don't understand why people are acting as if announcing a new game is so wrong and that it instantly makes people loose the will to continue playing. Sounds like unnecessary drama to me.

P.S. I understand the concern about whether Ark will ceases development/support etc, don't get me wrong I fully understand that. What I don't understand is how people suddenly stop playing Ark the instant the new game is announced.

3 hours ago, IPLAYARK2020 said:

i hope ark two doesn't cost like $200 to play.  i literally just got ark like a year ago, and i really don't want the servers to shut down and ark one to be forgotten.  Then i´ll have to pay more money to get the 2nd version and it to be full of bugs and glitches. 

It'll probably cost $30 at first launch, then increase to $60, assuming that its going to be an early access game.

15 minutes ago, TimeBomb2003 said:

It'll probably cost $30 at first launch, then increase to $60, assuming that its going to be an early access game.

I doubt it. I think they've moved way past an indie studio, having a huge star in the game, huge popularity (people forget how many people try ark because of Xbox game pass - its been free there for a while)

Well, you've seen what happens when wildcard  "tries" to run 2 games at once . Survival of the fittest (they couldnt run it correctly so it was stopped) Atlas wasn't run correctly so it's basically stopped (if not stopped , a hugh failure). SO need you question Ark2's future? Just look at their past accomplishments .

5 minutes ago, XxxGodzxxX said:

Well, you've seen what happens when wildcard  "tries" to run 2 games at once . Survival of the fittest (they couldnt run it correctly so it was stopped) Atlas wasn't run correctly so it's basically stopped (if not stopped , a hugh failure). SO need you question Ark2's future? Just look at their past accomplishments .

Valid points. My hope is the influx of revenue and the trial and error of their past games leads to a much more polished experience in ark 2. 

But just look to Ubisoft and CD Project Red, money doesnt always solve everything. 

Guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

The point of a game is to entertain. Ark is still entertaining me. I'm not going to worry about if it will entertain me 2 years down the road for esoteric reasons of speculating whether there will be support or if everyone will move to ark2 leaving me lonely on ark1 or if there will even be an ark1 at that point or what ever.... ima post this and go log in and feed my babies, and have fun. :D

@GPI think if I can transfert anything from Ark1 to Ark2 that would be great. Because to me playing thousands of hours in a game to start all over again = it's depressing, to my eyes. So I also started playing Ark1 in June 2015. I took a long break in 2018-2019 about 8½ months and I came back playing the game. I know I will have fun playing Gen2 for 3-4 weeks but after I am still not sure.

Yes Ark1 will be 7 years old in 2022 but why not continue developping Ark1 for an other 7 years? Improving the dino AI, adding NPC's, I mean if some modders can do it why not the devs! Why not adding damage to saddles? Why not adding something like Immersive taming (mod) in the base game? Adding more type of structures. A new weather system, something that will make surviving in Ark more difficult. Adding snaping points like the S+ mod. Instead of listing all the servers in a freaking long list, why not using a clusters list? So if there is 10 players in a cluster and they are playing on 7 different servers, I can see there is 10 players in this specific cluster. Why not adding cross-chat inside the same cluster (Ark API is already doing that). Or why not adding dynamic bridges or DX12 support! I'll be honest with you I am affraid that Wildcard will create an Atlas 2.0! 

I still think Ark1 has great potential. To the devs, stop adding new maps to the game and work on everything else. If you took all the hours spent developping Atlas and now Ark2 can you imagine what Ark1 would have been?

I am programming since 10 years and I know money runs every business in the world but to me Ark1 is still a game with a freaking great potential.

Ark 1 would go into maintenance mode, since Genesis part 2 is the final DLC. Meaning no more new major content. Possibly bug fixes/tlc/community made maps being added to official then again maybe not if they only focus on Ark 2 (Ark 1 UE game engine can't be upgraded so there's only so much they can do).

The player base would probably decline slowly and assuming Ark 2 isn't a radically different game from Ark 1, official servers would probably become more stable and have less lag every 15min due to those having moved over to Ark 2 and can only refresh their base for so long until they finally let it go and the large laggy bases get auto decayed. From that point forward, on official there will be those new to the game (Ark 1) whom should have a significantly easier time starting up and those who refuse to let go and are either happy with less lag or unhappy that Ark 2 came out. Then you have those on unofficial servers who can potentially ask their admins for a world save so they can keep their progress and load it up in single player whenever and not have to worry about auto decay.

• Volunteer Moderator
12 hours ago, GMLlefutur said:

@GPI think if I can transfert anything from Ark1 to Ark2 that would be great. Because to me playing thousands of hours in a game to start all over again = it's depressing, to my eyes. So I also started playing Ark1 in June 2015. I took a long break in 2018-2019 about 8½ months and I came back playing the game. I know I will have fun playing Gen2 for 3-4 weeks but after I am still not sure.

Yes Ark1 will be 7 years old in 2022 but why not continue developping Ark1 for an other 7 years? Improving the dino AI, adding NPC's, I mean if some modders can do it why not the devs! Why not adding damage to saddles? Why not adding something like Immersive taming (mod) in the base game? Adding more type of structures. A new weather system, something that will make surviving in Ark more difficult. Adding snaping points like the S+ mod. Instead of listing all the servers in a freaking long list, why not using a clusters list? So if there is 10 players in a cluster and they are playing on 7 different servers, I can see there is 10 players in this specific cluster. Why not adding cross-chat inside the same cluster (Ark API is already doing that). Or why not adding dynamic bridges or DX12 support! I'll be honest with you I am affraid that Wildcard will create an Atlas 2.0! 

I still think Ark1 has great potential. To the devs, stop adding new maps to the game and work on everything else. If you took all the hours spent developping Atlas and now Ark2 can you imagine what Ark1 would have been?

I am programming since 10 years and I know money runs every business in the world but to me Ark1 is still a game with a freaking great potential.

So basically you are saying continue Ark 1 on a heavily modded version of UE4 which cannot be upgrade so that Ark is running on such an old engine for more years to come instead of making a new game based on brand new latest UE versions?

Transferring from Ark 1 to Ark 2 is very unlikely to happen, and I hope there's no aspect of that at all. It needs a 100% fresh start.

I suspect Ark 1 will still get support, maybe more Modded DLCs from the Sponsored Mods program, but as for new content I just don't see the point in continuing to add new content when Ark 2 will be on the latest UE5.

People are acting as if things never end and have new beginnings. And in reference to all the bug fixes and DX12 and dynamic bridges etc.... just stop and think, why did they never do that after 5-7 years? Probably because they couldn't, maybe because the modded version of UE4 caused issues for them that prevented them fixing certain things. I just don't understand why after 5-7 years people are still going on about the bugs that have never been fixed.

2 hours ago, GP said:

I just don't understand why after 5-7 years people are still going on about the bugs that have never been fixed.

I can fully understand why people are mad about serious game breaking issues like losing characters they spent 100s of hours on especially since its been well documented how much of a joke WC's support team is, but that kind of stuff (as well as old gen console limitations) is exactly what makes me want a completely fresh start with a new game/engine.

17 minutes ago, overborg said:

i cannot comprehend why, after all these years, wc has done such a horrible job on ark (and atlas) , that people think they will do a better job on ark 2.

Upgraded engine and a massive boost in hardware capability with the new consoles is a great place to start

I see nothing wrong with guarded optimism while at the same time not turning a blind eye to what has transpired with WCs past titles.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:45 AM, GP said:

Do you stop using your mobile phone the moment a new version is announced?

But that's not a valid comparison. To make it closer:

Imagine a phone that will most likely get discontinued after new version release. You won't be able to get your contacts to new phone. Can't export, can't move on SIM card, can't even write it down on a piece of paper to type in your new phone by hand. And you will completely forget everything related to your old phone.

If it was like that then yes, it would be wiser to limit this phone usage to a minimum and move to PC or other phone instead. At least until new version gets released.

Ark is not a phone and even comparing it to most other games doesn't really work. Everyone with 500h+ in ark knows how grindy it is. Maybe not as much now, after few rates increases, but still. Everything important takes a long time to accomplish. Current op dinos took years to breed. Fully imprinting a giga required you to surrender sleep, health and sanity for two weeks before pods. Official pvp is still a full time job. C'mon, you probably know more about all this than I do.

My point is - ark demands huge time investment and it's natural that people get upset, knowing that there is a huge probability of all their hard work disappearing in a year or two.

Every single official pvp server is a mess, they gave up on it long ago. Duping & meshing are as prevalent as ever. Aimbot, HAXbot, ESP is widely used and almost no one ever gets in trouble for it even with proof. Not to mention the teaming on Small tribes LOL, it's horrid.

The game isn't a mess because of UE4 modifications, it is a mess because of literally no enforcement of TOS. Just to clarify, this isn't just a few tribes, it is every single server. TLDR: The same as they are doing now, nothing.

1 hour ago, deedoubleu said:

My point is - ark demands huge time investment and it's natural that people get upset, knowing that there is a huge probability of all their hard work disappearing in a year or two.

Was there ever a real possibility that ark would continue on for 10 more years? 5 more years ? It's a natural cycle that successful games get sequels.

Inevitably one day all that hard breeding or building work was going to evaporate anyway, so with that said all we can really debate is the timing of the sequel.

A 2022 sequel to a 2015 (or even 2017) game is by no means a rush job and we still have at minimum an entire year to say goodbye.

I don't know about anyone else but I think gen2 looks absolutely fantastic thus far so hopefully the swan song for a1 will be really strong then we can gear up for the next "evolution" of the series.

Archived