New Year Surprise Event!

StudioWildcard

4 hours ago, Zahlea said:

Yeah, I know. I don't understand why they do it though. I keep hoping that they won't remove all the assets! But more than that, I wish they would just tell us!! I mean - there's no way they don't know already whether they'll forcefully remove all the assets. So why not be upfront about it? I really don't understand the reason for avoiding it. 

It's so frustrating! Also, I find it so stressful to have to play during a set time, so much that I can't enjoy the event at all. This is my favourite event and I'm avoiding it because it makes me feel too bad to try to join in. After this year, I really can't handle more stress. I so wish they would bring back the ability to make the events last longer 😢 

I guess from their point of view they were already upfront when they stripped out all the holiday assets the first time.  They had a big patch that nuked everything and broke ActiveEvent for all the old holiday stuff.  It flat out deleted existing zombie wyverns, and made it impossible to re-run the Archeology or -Chronicles events.  It was apparently done mostly for consoles (allegedly) because of the memory savings.  They only just rolled it back slightly by allowing people to keep zombie wyverns this time.  But they still deleted everything else, including the zomdodos.

Sorry to hear that it's so stressful.  Do whatever you think is best for you, whether that's to enjoy it while it lasts or avoid it.  I hope you have a safe and happy holidays.  ^-^

(At the moment I'm playing singleplayer on Aberration.  I get to keep all the presents I can reach... if I can open them before the ravening mob of Reapers catches up.  OnO  )

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zahlea said:

This is my favourite event and I'm avoiding it because it makes me feel too bad to try to join in. After this year, I really can't handle more stress. I so wish they would bring back the ability to make the events last longer 😢 

If it helps:  I just remembered that after the Anniversary event ended this year, I was able to turn the recipes and Party Dodos back on with the ActiveEvent command.  They automatically turned off the moment the event ended on Officials, but I was able to extend it until the next hotfix (which removed all the assets.)

Once they hotfixed it though, the only effect the ActiveEvent command seemed to have was that wild critters would still spawn with event colors sometimes.  The recipes and Party Dodos were hard deleted, so all I had was a few stacks of Birthday Cake that I'd accidentally piled on the wrong parasaur and forgotten about.  (I like parasaurs, so my excuse for keeping them around is to use them as "temporary storage" when I don't feel like sorting everything into vaults.)

• Thanks 1

Please keep in mind that this event cannot be run before Midnight EST on the 1st of January 2021, so if you wish to change your time it would have to be set after that. 

Does this really mean what I think? That most of the world will be unable to have the event at midnight? How stupid is this policy? I don;t have words for that. So when should unofficial server run the event in your mind? For lunch on the 1? At midnight on the 1? Are you serious? OMG

7 hours ago, Zahlea said:

I so wish they would bring back the ability to make the events last longer 😢 

I really want them to bring back the Archeology event.  Or if not bring it back, do what they did with the Tek skins and add a chance for brontos and trikes and pachy's to spawn as brachiosaurs and styracosaurs and stygymolochs.  The skins were really nice, and there isn't any way at all to get them now without just cheating them in.  😥

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EmberStar said:

I really want them to bring back the Archeology event.  Or if not bring it back, do what they did with the Tek skins and add a chance for brontos and trikes and pachy's to spawn as brachiosaurs and styracosaurs and stygymolochs.  The skins were really nice, and there isn't any way at all to get them now without just cheating them in.  😥

I just want them to bring back allowing us to run the events for longer. I don't understand why they have to remove the assets - they can't take up that much space on disk? Compared to the full size of the game and DLCs, what's a few reskins of dinos and a couple of extra assets (like Raptor Claus, but not cosmetics - all skins will still need to exist as they can be used after the event). Why can't they let us running our own servers decide for ourselves? Especially when they used to allow it... 😢 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zahlea said:

I just want them to bring back allowing us to run the events for longer. I don't understand why they have to remove the assets - they can't take up that much space on disk? Compared to the full size of the game and DLCs, what's a few reskins of dinos and a couple of extra assets (like Raptor Claus, but not cosmetics - all skins will still need to exist as they can be used after the event). Why can't they let us running our own servers decide for ourselves? Especially when they used to allow it... 😢 

I'm not a programmer, but my guess is that it's not just the event assets.  It's all the code that makes them work, for every event.  The assets can't amount to much, otherwise they wouldn't keep adding more skins to each event and then let us keep them all.  So it's either that the code that drives the event is really big, or that it kept getting hung up on stuff and causing weird bugs.  Or both.  Adding a bunch of new sweaters and hats clearly isn't a problem.  They even let people keep the zombie wyverns this year.  That leaves the code that spawns in the Event bosses, and that drives the recipes.

I'm not saying it's fair, or fun.  Just that their excuse for stripping everything out was that it reduced memory overhead and made things work better.  :( 

13 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I'm not a programmer, but my guess is that it's not just the event assets.  It's all the code that makes them work, for every event.  The assets can't amount to much, otherwise they wouldn't keep adding more skins to each event and then let us keep them all.  So it's either that the code that drives the event is really big, or that it kept getting hung up on stuff and causing weird bugs.  Or both.  Adding a bunch of new sweaters and hats clearly isn't a problem.  They even let people keep the zombie wyverns this year.  That leaves the code that spawns in the Event bosses, and that drives the recipes.

I'm not saying it's fair, or fun.  Just that their excuse for stripping everything out was that it reduced memory overhead and made things work better.  :( 

That's very true, but in my experience, the code is super small compared to the assets. From reading up about it it sounded like it was not the disk space but the RAM used and I can see that being the case - but only for the candies!

For instance, in each container, if you're storing 1000 metal, you only need to save the ID for "metal" and the number 1000 -> two numbers. For candies though, it's much different. Since each candy changes different colours, each candy needs to be saved separately and with the colour IDs for each of the 5 colour slots it changes. That means the ID for the candy (not even counting the speedup bonus since that could be included in the ID) and 5 colour IDs need to be saved, so for 1000 candies, that's 6000 numbers saved. 

This could most certainly bloat save files. But again - for small servers this wouldn't be a problem, so why not let us handle it ourselves? Give us a command for purging the candies. Or even remove them automatically when the event command is removed, if you have to. Or, if it's so much of an issue - remove the candies, but let the rest of the event stay! 

On 12/23/2020 at 7:18 AM, BoyzDrool said:

I feel your pain.. Genisis is still messing up and crashing every 15 minutes and the raptor claus flys outside the volcano barrier so we cant get him... And just to think I bought a new pc for this crap..

If you are on Windows 10 you may have the same issue I had. Found some forum with a suggestion and by god I stopped crashing every 15. If it is the issue I was having it is not an Ark issue, but a Windows issue. 

Find the shootergame.exe file. Right click it and go to properties. Under the compatibility tab make sure "Disable fullscreen optimizations" is checked. 

For me the shootergame.exe file was in steamlibrary>steamapps>common>ark>shootergame>binaries>win64

Apparently Windows has some built in nonsense that is automatically enabled on install that creates crashes every 15 minutes or so. 

On 12/23/2020 at 7:18 AM, BoyzDrool said:

I feel your pain.. Genisis is still messing up and crashing every 15 minutes and the raptor claus flys outside the volcano barrier so we cant get him... And just to think I bought a new pc for this crap..

He's not flying outside the barrier, he's flying in another biome. He flies over a specific coordinate path, and it gets kind of wonky with the separated zones. If he looks like he's beyond the barrier, teleport to the biome on the other side of the barrier and that's where the gifts drop.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:57 PM, Zahlea said:

make it a DLC in itself, FREE too, and make sure to specify that it is needed only if you run events after they end... also, for PC there may be mods for this.

On 12/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, BoyzDrool said:

Your pc trash then... I get disxonected only in bog at 1 spawn:) dont have problems with that about genesis

On 12/23/2020 at 8:28 AM, icsunonove said:

WHY ARE NO EVENTS ON THE PRIMITIVE+ SERVERS ??????????????????😥😥😥😥

Well, Because thats a mod. It may have been brought in officialy, but thats a MOD so i mean they wont be adding it there because its automatically classified as Unnoficial.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:57 PM, mindless2831 said:

My God 99% of you guys are ungrateful jerks. The poison that is most of you guys that comment on here has got to stop. If you are so pissed off with wildcard then stop playing the dang game and let those of us that love it in spite of the issues enjoy it without all the bickering. 

I for one thank you very much wildcard and am excited for this. I just hope you are able to find a way to make it work on unofficial as I run my own server because I can't deal with the poison players like most of the people commenting on this announcement. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year WildCard! I am extremely excited to see what ya'll bring us next! Keep up the amazing work! 

The people that just want to get on their server and play with the holiday items are poison?  Why would ppl not be upset?  Yeah...  Your right. Just a bunch of jerks. So many posts about broken things in this game. Why wouldn't people get sick and tired of it?  Just because you see it in rose colored glasses.

• Facepalm 2