Plesio taming pen

AirplaneSlider

Water missions are not my strong point, I only recently decided to invest in this area as well, this time for real. 

There is one concern I like to raise based on a previous taming pen I had.

You see, Quetzal with taming pens work really well to capture other Quetzals because they are non aggressive and flee. A couple of years ago, a friend and I build a taming raft and tried to doc it on the carno island. My friend built the entire structure on the wooden raft and used metal around it to encase it. I raised my concern as to the wooden raft but he thought we were fine. 

Fair enough, when we tried to attract a Rex to it, enough damage was caused that the entire thing went under. 

So my point is, for passive creatures that flee it will likely work and do a good job at it. But if the creature you are trying to tame is aggressive it may backfire as I mentioned above and kill or hurt your plesio. Again, that was a while ago so it will be interesting to see if anything has changed since then.

5 hours ago, Martellus said:

You see, Quetzal with taming pens work really well to capture other Quetzals because they are non aggressive and flee. A couple of years ago, a friend and I build a taming raft and tried to doc it on the carno island. My friend built the entire structure on the wooden raft and used metal around it to encase it. I raised my concern as to the wooden raft but he thought we were fine. 

Fair enough, when we tried to attract a Rex to it, enough damage was caused that the entire thing went under.

Something was wrong with how your friend constructed that raft. I've used raft taming pens to tame just about everything that walks on ARK and never had one destroy a raft. There are plenty of good videos on how to build a raft taming pen, but I'd suggest starting with the videos by xOneWingX.

16 hours ago, AirplaneSlider said:

I'm thinking of making a taming pen on a plesio platform saddle. Kinda like how quetz taming pens are on quetz platform saddles. This plesio taming pen will be used to tame dunklys and other things. You guys think it'll work?

The absolutely best way I have found to tame up almost all aquatic animals in the game, is by using a bunch of stone dino gateways. It works VERY well on sharks, dunks, basils is a bit tricky to get into the trap but is still plausible, and especially mosa's. I absolutely love using the behemoth gateways for the extremely tricky mosa's. Granted the turtle trick by nooblets looks like it would be an awesome way to go, especially with assistance from other players using shocking tranq darts instead of bow or harpoon darts, but as for a single player, dino gates are your best friend in the taming game.

Archived