armor mechanics questions

DiloFodder

so just the other day me and my tribemates started messing around and shooting each other rigorous combat drills and during our battles I've seen some things that have raised questions for me as to how the armor system works when factoring in non-explosive projectiles:

• a headshot on a tribemate with a longneck blew his helmet off but left the rest of his armor intact
  • when in a shootout with the same tribemate who's helm was now off but otherwise had fully intact flack armor with a couple journeyman pieces died after a good fabricated pistol round happened to strike him in the head, he had a sizable health pool and the rest of the approx. half a clip that managed to hit him earlier were pretty much all body shots
  • my own chestpiece was blown off by a longneck but for the most part the rest of my own armor stayed intact throughout the fighting (i have ~200% movement speed so i didn't get hit much)

but getting hit with non bodypart specific attacks like animal bites seem to be better blocked by more overall armor...

so the long and short of it is, i'd like to know if anyone knows exactly how the armor system works with bites/melee vs projectiles (i.e. if someone is better off if they take a round to the head if they were wearing all cloth but a journyman flack helm vs someone who has all ascendant flack but a cloth helm.)

When stopping a bullet to the head, would you want a cloth hat or a solid piece of amazingly forged steel able to sop it with little to no dents? :D as for a bit it damages the whole player as far as I know so having more armor vs. wild life is good! PvP main pieces you need ( minimum) chest piece, legs, arms. 

To answer your question, most animal attacks are an aoe, so they cannot hit a specific body part. They hit all your armor simultaneously.

When players shoot a gun or melee it hits a specific body part and damages or destroys the armor on that specific body part. If you continue to hit that body part after the armor is destroyed it does damage straight to your health pool as if you where running around naked, even if your other body parts have armor on them. If you have base flak on it reduces damage by something like 85% (not positive on this number but its a lot of damage reduction).

So to answer your second question, you are almost always better off taking a bullet to the body part protected by flak, even if its a head shot. Worst case it will take the same number of shots to kill you as if you got shot in a cloth chest piece, best case it will take 1 or 2 more.

I can go further into the mechanics of why, imo any armors higher level than primitive are inferior unless you are playing on a 2x+ server, but to start you off on the basics that's how the mechanics you asked about work.

Archived