Prevent the RaptorClaus PVE toxicity this year please

Luizza

Once a night, every night, a raptor claus flies across the sky dropping 5 or 6 gifts. These usually contain much higher value loot than can be found in any other drops or events. 

The problem is that every player wants them, but they easily become a massive source of tension as only one player can loot each present.

Many servers try to ease the tension by having gentleman's agreements that each player will 'claim' a dropped present, but ofc players choose to  interpret the claiming rules their own way. Also there are plenty of tribes / players who just like to annoy others. Arguments break out in global chat and remain pretty toxic throughout the whole event. 

There are 2 reasons this badly effects normal players, 1. global chat is horrendous during this time 2. they choose not to enter into the toxicity and avoid the presents altogether which just makes them feel bad as they know they're missing out.

The xmas event is always the worst time on year on Ark on PVE, to the extent that many unofficial servers don't even run  it, or cancel it early.

Such a shame as if any one could loot the presents the event could be a lot of fun with players discussing what they got and trading / swapping / gifting duplicate gifts - far more in the holiday spirit as a time for servers to come together rather than bringing out the worst. 

Also box tribes don't communicate with us at all, they just swoop from gift to gift on their mana and if you are genetelmanly waiting at your one gift, chances are you wont get any. The gifts last year dropped painfully slowly so it was beyond frustrating to see one coming down in your back yard, and you go to claim it waiting for what seems like an eternity, knowing all along that some raptor head is swooping from coast to coast getting everything.

5 hours ago, Luizza said:

Every year PVE and unofficial servers turn into pretty toxic places to hang out with players arguing constantly over 'stealing' of raptorclaus drops during the Xmas event.

This year, of all years, this is a plea to the WC devs to make the dropped gifts lootable by all who get there in time.

I'm afraid this dream won't come true. but it would be nice. 

For all we know they've already got something completely different already programmed. Events do change over time... Would be cool if there was a way to collect a Christmas tree and stockings to put around your base, then raptor clause spawns presents in your xmas area, which are lootable only by the owner of the tree etc.

We found a way to counter it.  On our server, we had a great system set up, and would alternate who got a gift if players had slower flyers and could not get to one in time.  Regardless, almost every drop, there was at least one mana rider named 123 who would swoop in, try to push you out of the way and empty the gift with keybinds.  We tried to be cool and equitable, especially to the newer players.  We invited the 123s to participate to get their fair share as well.  

We eventually got a group to surround the drop sites and push the 123's back, but that only worked when enough people were on and willing to help get gifts to other people.  The last week required two or three others with manas to grab as many gifts as possible, and then we would meet the group everyone at our community center to distribute the loot.  We invited the 123s as well.  That didn't keep them from continuing to try to grab them all.  We would also leave presents for players that weren't logged in at their bases.  It ended up being a good holiday event after all.

Of course, some of this resulted in the typical sinophobia in chat.  I am not sure what the issue is, or if there is a notable cultural difference in the way people play.  It is a dangerous topic.  I know that some people think that if a game has exploits, hacks or cheats, then it is part of the game to find and use them to your best advantage.  That is a lot different from how I see it, but I guess that is what people mean by a culture clash. 

I like raptor claus.  Provides me with some good entertainment.  I generally avoid getting the packages for one because I already have good bps and two I'd rather not fight with the people on my server.  The server that provides the most entertainment is ab.  People think the drops give rock drake bps.  Afaik, it doesnt.  I also remember people blocking off the entrances to the surface a few years ago lol

Archived