CamCam123

Ok, as if 2020 could not get any worst the new trailer for ARK 2 was perhaps the biggest thrash I have ever seen in my life. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but ARK just committed business suicide with the new unpolished trailer. 

Hear me out before you tell me I am crazy. As big a fan that I am of ark with over 5 years of my life spent on the game which would be equal to about 12k hours of game play. This trailer just made me quit ark as I saw the end of it. 

What that trailer meant for me:

1. Ark will be releasing an unpolished game yet again. 

2. Ark is trying to hide game development failures with big name like Vin "I am groot" Diesel.

3. Ark is not ready for next generation of PC gaming and even less new gen console.

4. I still saw the same problems in that trailer as I see in ark gameplay today.

The trailer is supposed to Hype the game and give you the best quality/parts the game can offer. All I saw from this trailer was:

Bad animations, Bad texture rendering, no new original content, no vision for Ark 2, and worst..."this is for my family" fast and furious  lame vibes. 

2020 got worst...and it just killed the Ark franchise. 

Anyone who is like, "that game looks good" I am sorry to tell you, "you have low standards of game quality".  

I was going to write something similar to this earlier but erased it.  I dont like when game companies use big names like Keanu Reeves or Vin Oil to hype up their games.  At first, when I saw Vin with the tattoos and the tribal attire I thought it might have been some sort of god of war spinoff or something with the hand to hand combat with whatever that thing was, an ogre? An orc?  Idk but it was weird.  Then I saw the rex and thought...please tell me this like a new Turok or something, please dont be ark.  

But nope.  The trailer was pretty much "urrrrr look we got vin diesel to play a character in our game!  VIN DIESEL GUYS!"  Didn't feel like ark.  Either way meh, good luck with ark 2.  

Bueno primero escribo en español por que hablo español jajajaj y además el traductor de google traduce cualquier cosa.

¿Qué fue eso? ¿Por que no muestran un trailer de como se va ver el juego? 

El hacha ahora va servir para luchar jajaja va tener mas daño y ¿Va a salvarnos de un Rex? o al menos ¿De un Raptor? 😄

Y el Rex con esos pelos de ahí no se si era Rex o Yuty jajajajaja

Bueno a espera a ver que sale y para cuando espero que este mucho mejor y que valga la pena el trabajo de hacer el 2 y no usar esos recursos para mejorar el 1.

I almost felt insulted when seeing Vin Diesel in ARK 2. ARK is a sandbox game. It's story is a very personal one. The story of each one of us that played through this game, all the people we met, the friends we made, and things we saw and did. I played on Official PvP myself for last 3 years, and it has been an unforgeable experience. ARK is a niche game with some very tight knit communities. Now tho I see this game is being coopted by hollywood types who don't give a damn about this game and people who actually been playing it since ark was this weird little indie early access game, are just trying to milk it as a cash cow.. Looking forward to seeing some hollywood celebrities who never played ark lecture us in interview about why they care so much about the "ark universe and amazing characters".

This is, of course, your opinion. And I am sure there will be those who share your opinion and those who do not.

ARK 2 having named characters, as well as children, seems to indicate NPCs. The fact that Santiago is modelled on and voiced by Vin Diesel is irrelevant. The FMV seemed to suggest an "Assassin's Creed: Valhalla" or "Horizon: Zero Dawn" style of game - which I sincerely hope it is NOT.

I admit, the character models need work - unless you are familiar with Vin Diesel, the fact the character looked like him was up for debate from certain angles. However what you may not be considering is this:

The planet they are on is not Earth.

The survivors seemed surprised (even Santiago) that their implants lit up.

The ship (assuming it is the same ship we'll be on in Genesis Part 2) has either crashed, or purposely landed, on said planet.

The "Neanderthals" (my current name for them) are either native primitives or a corrupted byproduct - possibly of Rockwell's manipulations.

The more primitive appearance of the ARK logo, and the more primitive appearance of the characters in the FMV suggests that we are on a single planet now - the implants are a legacy item - an artifact of our time on the ARKs - and have little to no use (outside of inventory and attributes) on this new world - except when interacting with pre-planetfall technology.

Assuming the above is correct, we can assume that the ship has seeded life (ARK dinos and Survivors) on the planet and, without the ARK's interface, humankind has regressed while trying to re-establish itself.

I wouldn't say I'm hyped per se but this is not a gameplay video, it's a trailer. It is also the first FMV the ARK devs have produced - every other trailer or video has been made from in-game using in-game content and from the first person perspective - ala Extinction trailer.

If we see a gameplay trailer and I don't see any improvement over ARK 2, that's when it's time to hit the brakes. Now is the time to be cautiously optimistic. In my opinion.

On 12/12/2020 at 4:43 AM, CamCam123 said:

Ok, as if 2020 could not get any worst the new trailer for ARK 2 was perhaps the biggest thrash I have ever seen in my life. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but ARK just committed business suicide with the new unpolished trailer. 

Hear me out before you tell me I am crazy. As big a fan that I am of ark with over 5 years of my life spent on the game which would be equal to about 12k hours of game play. This trailer just made me quit ark as I saw the end of it. 

What that trailer meant for me:

1. Ark will be releasing an unpolished game yet again. 

2. Ark is trying to hide game development failures with big name like Vin "I am groot" Diesel.

3. Ark is not ready for next generation of PC gaming and even less new gen console.

4. I still saw the same problems in that trailer as I see in ark gameplay today.

The trailer is supposed to Hype the game and give you the best quality/parts the game can offer. All I saw from this trailer was:

Bad animations, Bad texture rendering, no new original content, no vision for Ark 2, and worst..."this is for my family" fast and furious  lame vibes. 

2020 got worst...and it just killed the Ark franchise. 

Anyone who is like, "that game looks good" I am sorry to tell you, "you have low standards of game quality".  

You might want to actually open your points and explain why is so.

You have some skills on seeing into the future how the game will end up?
How does Vin Diesel hide them?
Which way Ark is not ready?
What were the problems?

As of now it only looks a post about how ”you” dont want ark 2 and throw a hissyfit about it.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 hours ago, CyanicEmber said:

Wait for a gameplay trailer. Which probably won’t come out for years anyway.

I'd be surprised if it's that far away.

I'm anticipating some sort of early access release late 21 or sometime in 22. I'm also anticipating their next Extra Life event in Nov 21 to focus on reveals (including gameplay) for Ark II just like every year. I'm pretty sure the game is likely to release before 2023.

I can feel you here.

As much as I love Ark for me the trailer was a big put off. The animations are not the best (they look wooden to me, especially the humans) and as soon as I saw Vin Diesel in it I was like .. WHY ? It even got worse when I saw who he is... it totaly ruined it for me. It felt like one of this 80th trash movies and they even didn't look in their own explorer notes and messed up the last name of him. This might seem nitpicky but for me stuff like that can ruin the experience and I really wished they had left him dead, with his great sacrifice on Extinction.

The trailer even killed my hype for Genesis 2 cause they actually spoilered the ending with the Ark 2 trailer. Not in detail but everybody with some imagination now knows in which direction it will be going.

This new trend putting well known actors in video games instead of using fresh faces is something I don't really like and it often flaws my game experience. I don't really know if I will touch Ark 2 but there is still time and I will see what happens and what they will come up with. Sadly my hopes ar not high at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2021 at 6:39 PM, Diabolos said:

You lot are the same people who give a negative review on steam after playing 2k hours. Stop trying to judge the game when there's literally no game play that's been shown.

Enjoying a game often means accepting it has big flaws. I have 5k hours on Ark and love the game, but it's so messy and broken my rating is 2 stars because I wouldn't recommend it to most people and don't agree with how they handle the game and its balance. 

Make Ark 2 a lot like beta Ark 1 with limited Tech Tier/Alien stuff. Remember when Ark released the same time Jurassic park came out. Ark was the dinosaur game, now you watch ark on twitch and it is nothing but mechs/alien looking stuff. The game looks nothing like it did when it first released. I understand it was all part of their great plan/story but the game sure has "evolved" alright.

I just wanted a dino survival game with more primitive aspects and primitive pvp combat, better UI/inventory management system, updated unreal engine, improved AI dinosaurs, maybe AI human NPC tribes, and maybe the dev team learns from all their mistakes with ark 1 and makes a better polished game.

If it turns out to be anything like Atlas with just a re-skin on new unreal engine, count me out.

On 1/11/2021 at 9:35 AM, Juggernaut said:

Make Ark 2 a lot like beta Ark 1 with limited Tech Tier/Alien stuff. Remember when Ark released the same time Jurassic park came out. Ark was the dinosaur game, now you watch ark on twitch and it is nothing but mechs/alien looking stuff. The game looks nothing like it did when it first released. I understand it was all part of their great plan/story but the game sure has "evolved" alright.

I just wanted a dino survival game with more primitive aspects and primitive pvp combat, better UI/inventory management system, updated unreal engine, improved AI dinosaurs, maybe AI human NPC tribes, and maybe the dev team learns from all their mistakes with ark 1 and makes a better polished game.

If it turns out to be anything like Atlas with just a re-skin on new unreal engine, count me out.

I'd like a system blended from Atlas and Last Oasis where you can travel between servers or maps like Atlas and have the offline raid protection of LO.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested to see how far they can push Unreal 5 since that seems to be what they are using.  We could end up having an incredibly detailed looking world that blows Ark 1 out of the water graphically.  Not sure what else it means for the game technically, but I like that they are adding in rpg story you experience to the game now.  But yeah this is Wildcard and they do bite off more than they can chew.  However, this is their baby so they have to make it work, the maps need to be huge (perhaps bigger than ever before), and they have an opportunity to change various systems.  

I think where this game is going may be part of a grander scale then we might imagine.  Consider instead of Arks we have planets to visit and space between, and moons as well.  This game could be getting far grander in scope than we might know.  

So many people crying about the way the trailer looked UE5 isnt even released as of yet so no your right the trailer we saw wasnt amazing render or something breath taking but instead we have a teaser to what could potentially be a ground breaking change for wildcard but the important thing about opinions is they dont matter what will be will be we can only hope everything is done properly this time round and save the grief we went through from day 1 till current 

6 hours ago, RANGAMOIYTEEE said:

So many people crying about the way the trailer looked UE5 isnt even released as of yet so no your right the trailer we saw wasnt amazing render or something breath taking but instead we have a teaser to what could potentially be a ground breaking change for wildcard but the important thing about opinions is they dont matter what will be will be we can only hope everything is done properly this time round and save the grief we went through from day 1 till current 

To asume opinions do not matter why do you even post yours here ?

If people are the opinion not giving a game a chance cause of a crappy trailer it will matter. We have seen a lot lately what can happen when game companies ignore their player base and try to build up hypes with popular names in their games. 

Also a trailer like that can kill all hype from the beginning which was the case for me an a bunch of people I know (crappy animations, spelling errors, not regarding their own lore, unfitting actor (for some of us), etc.). We actually were laughing cause it looked like a 80th trash movie and the child looks like it poped out of the Croodes movie. A lot of people even think it is a trailer for some trashy V.D. movie.. I don't know if WC really did themself a favor with that.

So even the chances are super slim the devs will even take a look here it might help to improve some things or at least make them think about their choices. That a lot of people are sceptical or making fun of it is nothing that comes out of nowhere.. it is a reputation that Wildcard built up themselfs.

It's nice to have some critical opinions. No one needs only the fanboys that swallow everything they get put on the table.

I think I've tried to remain skeptical yet optimistic throughout our Ark adventures and I have to say, without any, and I do mean ANY information, it's easy to go straight to the doom and gloom predictions.  However, I choose not to.  Staying neutral with my thoughts, one can logically assume that the mistakes of the past will be rectified in the development of the future.  One can also deduce that what we saw in the trailer was meant to announce more than impress. If you peer in on what was released with marketing in mind, it wasn't bad at all.  They showed us new biomes, new faces, and new creatures, all of which the Ark community usually eats up in a heartbeat.  As for what the actual gameplay or look of the game is gonna be, there's really no telling at this point but I'd bet they are gonna be developing with the latest and greatest engine and things when polished are going to look spectacular.   My only real gripe about the announcement is that it happened a little too soon and isn't being followed up with information so that those of us with over 5k into ARK can start to get a feel for what to expect and start making some decisions on if we're staying with the first or moving over to the second.  In truth, the early announcement killed my interest in Official completely, breeding, raising, wheeling and dealing in dinos, all went straight to the 7th level of hades and made the effort not worth the time, irritation of having to login to avoid decaying bases and dinos, and general aggravation of knowing the breeding efforts would soon find an end.  

I think it is reasonable to assume that in the interest of making money that they will try to make as good a game as possible.  I also think it is a good assumption that WC put a lot of heart into Ark - the game has a lot of character - it doesn't feel to me like the cash-grabs you have with other games.  I think WC did a lot of things right, but Ark is just a hot mess of bugs, imbalance and overwhelmed (or incapable) customer support.

So I would love to find that WC's passion is still there and that they learned a lot of lessons from making Ark.  Perhaps a fresh start with a new engine will take care of a lot of Arks current problems.  With the voice actors involved and the animated series on the horizon, at the very least it looks like they have some money and talent invested.

But then I think about all the terrible movies that had a good concept, a lot of money and talent and time to create something great, only to fail miserably (Disney Star Wars, Michael Bay movies, DC movies, etc).  It seems like there is a missing ingredient to failed enterprises like these: maybe a focused project manager as opposed to a jumbled committee of decision makers.  

3 hours ago, Rio4201 said:

the mistakes of the past will be rectified in the development of the future

Assuming you mean technical structural issues Ark 1 has, hopefully that will be the case.

However, one thing that is important to consider is the company behind the game, of which I would point out a couple things:

1) Wildcard's stance has been pretty clear over the years: Issues with the game will never get fixed unless there's a compelling business case to do so. This is the way they operate, and there's no reason to assume it will be different with Ark 2. This is not about the game, it's about the company.

2) Secondly, seems pretty clear to me that Wildcard did not expect/predict how the players would play the game, and because of that the game is plagued with structural technical problems that are too expensive to solve ( see 1) ). Assuming that Wildcard will "get it right" this time, is a bit naïve.

I will be here to see how Ark 2 will be, but considering the developers .. I have little hope it will be any different from Ark 1 when it comes to bugs, stability, performance, lag etc. I predict Ark 2 will be great in concept, but likely a failure on its execution. I hope I'm wrong.

15 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

I predict Ark 2 will be great in concept, but likely a failure on its execution. I hope I'm wrong.

I hope your wrong too, but I worry that Atlas shows that you'll be correct.

The problem I have with using "big names" like VD is that they cost big money.  Money that could have been spent on a dev team.

1 hour ago, Larkfields said:

I hope your wrong too, but I worry that Atlas shows that you'll be correct.

The problem I have with using "big names" like VD is that they cost big money.  Money that could have been spent on a dev team.

It appears that VD is really into Ark and got involved because he has put thousands of hours into it - seems more like a work of passion for him.

If that is the case, and as an acting producer and creative consultant, it might not be so much of a money issue.

Source:  https://www.thegamer.com/vin-diesel-ark-player-reported-bugs/  

4 hours ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Assuming you mean technical structural issues Ark 1 has, hopefully that will be the case.

However, one thing that is important to consider is the company behind the game, of which I would point out a couple things:

1) Wildcard's stance has been pretty clear over the years: Issues with the game will never get fixed unless there's a compelling business case to do so. This is the way they operate, and there's no reason to assume it will be different with Ark 2. This is not about the game, it's about the company.

2) Secondly, seems pretty clear to me that Wildcard did not expect/predict how the players would play the game, and because of that the game is plagued with structural technical problems that are too expensive to solve ( see 1) ). Assuming that Wildcard will "get it right" this time, is a bit naïve.

I will be here to see how Ark 2 will be, but considering the developers .. I have little hope it will be any different from Ark 1 when it comes to bugs, stability, performance, lag etc. I predict Ark 2 will be great in concept, but likely a failure on its execution. I hope I'm wrong.

I appreciate your response to this and your perspective.  While there may be a bit of naivety regarding their prioritization and approach on my part (I look at things through a development view and customer view mostly), you could be spot on for all we know.  I'd be the first to admit, when it comes to high profile business and a corporates mindset, the best I can offer is my experience which is limited to a non-corp driven business owner which isn't much in the spectrum of big business lol.   As a developer, I know how I would feel, especially if I were a project lead.  I'd want my team and the title to focus on learning from our mistakes, and to make sure our designs were impactful and reflective of past experience.  

Archived