What Turns Me Off about Ark Survival Evolved

GreenRoc

3 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

I'm not trying to preach about how you should think, that would be arrogant even if you and I thought exactly alike.

In the end what I'm really doing is suggesting to you another way of looking at the game, suggesting that you try to think of ARK differently, as a game in which overcoming loss is a core game concept and then see if taking that different approach will allow you to better enjoy the game.

I understand, and why I am not terribly angry.
I appreciate your honesty and willingness to help me with my struggles within ark, thank you.

Unfortunately loss is one of the major parts of my core trauma, and I havent figured out how to be ok with loss in the 40 years I been dealing with loss. I wish that part of my life could be figured out so loss wont keep rubbing salt in a 4 decade old inner wound.

Quitting is also a loss, but I keep things refreshed and my pets in cryopods in hopes that a server save will become available.

Ark used to be the best game for me, but the slow change and the continuation of my joys within it, continued to draw me back in like an addiction. Timecapsule is more my style, and has configs working the way I want, but I am now concerned about my continuation of Timecapsule now that I see today that Timecapsule is not void of updates. Today, an update is pending and I feel like I dont want to bother clicking that.

I wish a game would come along that gives me the same joy as Ark has. I have been looking for years. I've yet to find an equivalent or superior source of virtual joy. Ark is still the best (but also the worst) of all the games I've tried.

I was hoping things in Ark could be better for me. Continuing to stick to this addiction feels like holding onto a raft that's getting closer and closer to the edge of the waterfall (enjoying the ride, but not enjoying the "wet". TLC3 was the fall for me.

Maybe someday I could find that virtual pleasure without the torture.
There's always more virtual environments to do what I'm trying to do. 
So far, I havent found better.

If only I could get a save file of 60, that would solve my pain from loss of my progress, but for policy reasons, Center 60 is not available for download, nor is downloading my pets to singleplayer available. I'll just refresh things, and I have new hope that the current Ark servers may go the same way as legacy since Ark II was recently announced.

My tribemate misses playing with me.
I miss that too.
but choosing to continue is like choosing to hang onto that raft that keeps going out of control.
I'm jumping off, but will I drown?
At least I'm not at the whims of the raft anymore.
Raft.
That game was pretty close!
But they need to remove hunger/water drain from peaceful if I am ever gonna go back to that.
Dying in 30 minutes from that in peaceful. At least I tried.
and it had no dinos :(
I want Dinos.

Pixark will have to do, until another game dev comes out with something more up my creek.

11 hours ago, Countrydude89 said:

the best feeling is to start over

I hate starting over.
I believe you, you like starting fresh according to what you say.
I dont like starting over, because the beginning is much much harder than the end, because the survivor is so squishy!

I dont understand why loss is in video games!
I want to play to be happy, because life is so un-fun.

I dont understand why loss is added to any game.
Who actually likes loss?
I dont understand why someone thinks loss in a video game is a good idea.

Games are supposed to be fun.
I dont find any fun in stress.
I dont find fun in spending hours of my time on something that dies in seconds.
I like sitting at an inventory for hours in order to gain a pretty pet to call my own.
I've heard many people not liking that sit-and-wait thing, but I love it!
Waiting gives me time to be productive ANd listen to music and do other stuff while I wait.
And waiting has a wonderful outcome with a pet to call my very own!
I did that! I waited for it, I worked on gathering materials to knock it out and feed it
and now its mine to command, or give to a friend. Beautiful eye candy that looks like a real dinosaur!

But to spawning a tamed thing in, with just a sentence or copy and paste...
... superiorly far less satisfying.

I dont see any fun in loss of these pretty pets.
I just dont like loss.

I wish 'leavemealone' could be enabled via configs to automatically apply to survivors and tames on my singleplayer.
I dont want to have to apply 'leavemealone' via command everytime I mount, and log into my singleplayer.

I have vague recollection of having put that into suggestions, but I'm so confused by suggestions weird and different layout, that I wouldnt know where that suggestion ended up, if it was ever applied.

I apologize if I have caused anyone any upset, I dont wish to bother anyone.
I think I came to post this post because while recovering from fight/flight from having lost a ptero in pixark, additional thoughts of this topic came up and so I had more things in me to post.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:03 PM, Joebl0w13 said:

Without loss you can never truly appreciate what you have. 

Without loss, I wouldnt have cPTSD, the body's way to stay constantly alert to prevent further harm.
My body can only do that for so long.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:35 PM, TimeBomb2003 said:

If your not already, take some time off playing this, and find something else that makes you happy.

I have taken time off. I have found another game, but it isnt as enjoyable as Ark.

Aaand just happened like 15 mins ago. I'm sick of this poop
unknown.png

I can and DO appreciate what I have, because it looks beautiful! and I SPENT TIME to get it.
I appreciate it because I SPENT TIME on it before I got it. and because the visual pleasures I get riding the thign around, looking at the thing, is like enjoying a TV show, or a good book, or a sports game. Looks good, tastes great!

I'd like to keep my things, without the chance of having my pretty eye-pleasing pets meeting permanent deletion. I hate wasting my time on something that the game devs decide I need to lose, permanently.

The pleasure Ark gives me... I have found no equal.
And please believe me, I  have LOOKED!

I have found no equal joy, outside of Him.
I do ask Him too, He says keep playing (idk why exactly). I dare dabble a little in something unseen as I wish for more understanding with, i often fall back into old habits (but less and less), screaming and holering to the ceiling in rage, out of control emotions, like my body is tossing itself into the fire and I scream in pain.
I guess this makes me more resilient? One of the reasons I stuck with Ark in my very first newbie days, is the eye candy is so satisfying, I put up with all the poop in Ark to help increase my strengths to keep my screaming mouth shut when encountering horrible stuff. Ark has helped stuff it.

I just wish I could enjoy the joy of the good of this game, without permanent losses.

I hate permanent loss of time so very much.
But I get sucked back in, because no other game looks like Ark, with dinos!

I thought video games were supposed to be fun, total fun, not stressful.
Whatever happened to the idea that games are for fun and pleasure, and not more stress. I've yet to find a game that is just right for me. Ark is so close, but yet so far.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:05 AM, GreenRoc said:

I hate starting over.
I believe you, you like starting fresh according to what you say.
I dont like starting over, because the beginning is much much harder than the end, because the survivor is so squishy!

I dont understand why loss is in video games!
I want to play to be happy, because life is so un-fun.

I dont understand why loss is added to any game.
Who actually likes loss?
I dont understand why someone thinks loss in a video game is a good idea.

Games are supposed to be fun.
I dont find any fun in stress.
I dont find fun in spending hours of my time on something that dies in seconds.
I like sitting at an inventory for hours in order to gain a pretty pet to call my own.
I've heard many people not liking that sit-and-wait thing, but I love it!
Waiting gives me time to be productive ANd listen to music and do other stuff while I wait.
And waiting has a wonderful outcome with a pet to call my very own!
I did that! I waited for it, I worked on gathering materials to knock it out and feed it
and now its mine to command, or give to a friend. Beautiful eye candy that looks like a real dinosaur!

But to spawning a tamed thing in, with just a sentence or copy and paste...
... superiorly far less satisfying.

I dont see any fun in loss of these pretty pets.
I just dont like loss.

I wish 'leavemealone' could be enabled via configs to automatically apply to survivors and tames on my singleplayer.
I dont want to have to apply 'leavemealone' via command everytime I mount, and log into my singleplayer.

I have vague recollection of having put that into suggestions, but I'm so confused by suggestions weird and different layout, that I wouldnt know where that suggestion ended up, if it was ever applied.

I apologize if I have caused anyone any upset, I dont wish to bother anyone.
I think I came to post this post because while recovering from fight/flight from having lost a ptero in pixark, additional thoughts of this topic came up and so I had more things in me to post.

Oh i get you what your saying completely. I too, at one point, not only lost all my tames, but my entire progress as well, and i completely hated it, and it was quite deflating, it was a terrible feeling. I can feel the pain. I guess im an optimist though, because i learned from the experience, and done everything i could, to never let that happen again, and im further in Ark, then i ever imagined i would be, when i first started playing.

I do genuinly hope you can find happiness, and get the experience your looking for. Ark means something different to all of us. :)

1 hour ago, Countrydude89 said:

I do genuinly hope you can find happiness, and get the experience your looking for. Ark means something different to all of us. :)

Thank you for saying. I do truly appreciate it.

i have alot to think about and consider. Thank you everyone.

6 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It's a popular turn of phrase, a saying.

Ohhhhhhhh one of those things. I usually take things literally incase what's being said that might seem sarcastic isnt really sarcastic. When it is 'just a saying' my literal interpretation maybe a source of humor for some. Thx for clarity on what that was.

tumblr_owpk8z0tDT1uijsn1o2_250.gifv

12 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

Thank you for saying. I do truly appreciate it.

i have alot to think about and consider. Thank you everyone.

Ohhhhhhhh one of those things. I usually take things literally incase what's being said that might seem sarcastic isnt really sarcastic. When it is 'just a saying' my literal interpretation maybe a source of humor for some. Thx for clarity on what that was.

tumblr_owpk8z0tDT1uijsn1o2_250.gifv

bored guardians of the galaxy GIF

For me, fun in video games is overcoming something difficult if not downright unfairly weighted against me. Not losing anything, not having any type of down side or risk would not be fun to me. I would lose interest very quickly as I have with many other games. I put it on the hardest difficulty, I beat it once and I never look back usually. To each their own but to me if video games didnt incorporate a type of loss I dont think I would be playing them anymore.

@GreenRoc  You should try Citadel forged with fire, there's no dinos but there are dragons and tamable creatures, by far the best building of any survival games on the Ps4.

Only thing that bothers me is the reduced turret limits, 100 is absolutely nothing for defense.  Oh and not being able to breed my favorite dinos on my favorite map Aberration, you should be able to un pod them just not be able to mount.

i love ark as a game.

But dealing with the custumer support is cancerous they take weeks to respond and then they are as helpfull to your problem as wet tissue. Even though you have evidence screenshots of the issue. They deside for some god uknown reason to release updates on friday night seemgly without creating backups as they deploy the update then if they see something went wrong instead of redeploying said backup they do it on some server on others they dont bother and are amazeballed if people ask for their deleted stuff to be restored instead of a hey we restor 15 dinos but nothing over 150 and we cant set mutations and all.

Mate of mine waited for 6 months for something as simple as a gm apear and give him xp back of his lost char. :) but great game as long as you dont need to deal with the custumer support

20 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

You should try Citadel forged with fire, there's no dinos but there are dragons and tamable creatures, by far the best building of any survival games on the Ps4.

Sounds great, I dont have a PS4, I'm on PC. Ooo I see there is a steam version, I'll have a deeper look, thank you.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:50 PM, Piffguru said:

For me, fun in video games is overcoming something difficult if not downright unfairly weighted against me. Not losing anything, not having any type of down side or risk would not be fun to me. I would lose interest very quickly as I have with many other games. I put it on the hardest difficulty, I beat it once and I never look back usually. To each their own but to me if video games didnt incorporate a type of loss I dont think I would be playing them anymore.

Piffguru, thank you so very much for your comment makes so much sense to me, and has given me a new perspective on this game may help me be less frustrated in future in-game encounters. I certainly dont like the excessive dangers, but I do believe what you say can be a pleasure to some. Enlightenment acquired.

Archived