2 minutes ago, APOLO said:

Yes, mainly the broken stuff, bugs and lag's that the dev's didn't even solved from the first one. Now, just imagine the number 2.

I choose to remain hesitantly optimistic, I mean do we really know for certain it's going to be a repeat of the original? That's highly doubtful, their Devs are more experienced, if you've been paying attention to the patch notes, they've been consistently improving upon issues in the old game to a point that has me thinking they've acquired some new talent.  Any Dev team out there will tell you the same thing I am, and that's simply that you can't learn if you don't make mistakes to learn from, if anything I'd say Ark 2 is going to be far more polished and much improved. Logically, that's how human evolution works. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May have killed the game for me. Announcing a new game before releasing content kills all hype for gen 2. Why even bother with gen 2 if it's worthless after a few months. Should have fixed the first g

Well I don't complain I completely love ARk 10k hours in and Im not done yet. I got a really big value for my 25 Euros I paid all those years ago.

I hope character creator in ARK 2 will be way better. I don't want to see player characters like this 🤣

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, APOLO said:

Yes, mainly the broken stuff, bugs and lag's that the dev's didn't even solved from the first one. Now, just imagine the number 2.

Devs know how to solve it. This bugs that can't be repaired from Ark like undermesh raiding come from the core, to fix them they must start a new game, which is, Ark 2.

Hope this time they will do a good base, after that, all the bugs can be repaired. The problem comes when your base is poorly programed like Ark 1 was.

They started being a small company. Now they are not. Let's give them a try. Be positive.

Edited by Cucharon
  • Facepalm 1
1 hour ago, Rio4201 said:

Game design revolves around a very complicated and well thought out initial design.  That's the biggest pitfall for anyone in development, you may design the game with the vision you originally have, but as technology, player demands, and new ideas emerge, it's easy to look at your project and realize that these things you want to add later aren't possible without a complete tear down of the original game and re-design.  Unfortunately, it's 99.9% probable that this was the case with Ark 1.  The Unreal Engine itself isn't to blame for the woes of Ark 1, if anything is to blame, it's lack of ESP and Premonitions by the original design team lol.  Unfortunately, Wildcard isn't the only game studio who has had this issue, they all have.  WoW wasn't designed and immediately put into development, there were dozens of back to the drawing board moments. 

bit of both add the fact they changed dev team part way through that didnt help either .... also they did not know how to work with the UE engine

4 hours ago, Cucharon said:

You mean like Sony did with Call of Duty 3, Final Fantasy X, Spiderman, etc.?

Hope you don't have a Play Station, it would be contradictory with your opinion.

COD 3 released 2006 for Xbox, Xbox 360,Ps2 and Ps3 so not a Sony exclusive.  Spiderman is owned by Sony not Marvel and was an exclusive release for Sony that was never on another system. As for FFx no idea why it never came on PC, Nintendo and Square had issues with each other and the original Xbox had only been out for what a week or two and nobody trusted them yet.  So no my opinion is not contradictory if a game was always an exclusive then who cares.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, ThePryBar said:

COD 3 released 2006 for Xbox, Xbox 360,Ps2 and Ps3 so not a Sony exclusive.  Spiderman is owned by Sony not Marvel and was an exclusive release for Sony that was never on another system. As for FFx no idea why it never came on PC, Nintendo and Square had issues with each other and the original Xbox had only been out for what a week or two and nobody trusted them yet.  So no my opinion is not contradictory if a game was always an exclusive then who cares.

COD 3 was console eclusive, Ark 2 is exclusive from Windows, Xbox and in phones with xCloud. More variety than Cod 3.

But anyways, Final Fantasy was in PC and Play Station, suddenly Sony decides to remove it from PC and you say "who cares". Ohhhh, you know? Who cares about Ark not being released in Play Station?

Also, Spiderman was never on another system?

Spider-Man in video games - Wikipedia

Overview of Spider-Man video games
Title Release Platforms Developer Publisher
Spider-Man 1982 Atari 2600 Atari Parker Brothers
Questprobe: Spider-Man 1984 Amstrad CPC, Apple II, C-64, C-16, Atari 8-bit, ZX Spectrum, PC Adventure Int. Adventure Int.
The Amazing Spider-Man and Captain America in Dr. Doom's Revenge! 1989 MS-DOS, Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, C-64 Paragon Medallist
The Revenge of Shinobi Genesis, Mega-CD Sega Sega
The Amazing Spider-Man 1990 Amiga, MS-DOS, C-64, Atari ST Oxford D.E. Paragon
The Amazing Spider-Man Game Boy Rare LJN/Nintendo
Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Game Gear, Sega CD Technopop Sega
The Punisher: The Ultimate Payback! 1991 Game Boy Krome Studios Melbourne Acclaim Entertainment
Spider-Man: The Video Game Arcade Sega Sega
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 1992 Game Boy Bits Studios LJN
Spider-Man: Return of the Sinister Six NES, Master System, Game Gear LJN/Flying Edge
Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge SNES, Genesis, Game Gear, Game Boy Software Creations
The Amazing Spider-Man 3: Invasion of the Spider-Slayers 1993 Game Boy Bits Studios LJN
Spider-Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage 1994 SNES, Genesis Software Creations
The Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes 1995 SNES Argent, Epoch Co., Ltd. Epoch Co., Ltd.
Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety SNES, Genesis Software Creations Acclaim Entertainment
Spider-Man: The Animated Series Western Technologies LJN/Acclaim Entertainment
The Amazing Spider-Man: Web of Fire 1996 Sega 32X BlueSky Software Sega
Spider-Man 2000 PlayStation, Game Boy Color, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Microsoft Windows Neversoft / Vicarious Visions (GBC) / Edge of Reality (N64) / Treyarch (DC) / LTI Gray Matter (PC)

I won't answer you anymore. You don't deserve my time.

Edited by Cucharon
  • Facepalm 1

First off I hate exclusivity. It does not give me any pleasure to know I can play something before other people. It just feels like I dodged a bullet more than anything. 

If this launch exclusivity is like 3-4 months it will be soul crushing and kill all hype I have for ark 2. Waiting til 2022 or even late 2021 is long enough without an extra few months thrown in.

Now for the hype itself....meh. Trailer was pretty boring honestly. Really didnt see anything uniquely Ark in it nor did it bring anything new to the table besides the orge NPCs.

You could have told me I was watching a trailer for a generic prehistoric game called Dino Hero and I would believe you.

Conversely the animated trailer was awesome and had many Ark signature features like riding dinos and flak armor. Much more excited for it than Ark 2 at this point.

I think people crying out against Ark 2 because it'll mean the end of Ark 1 need a bit of a reality check. Ark 1 came out in 2015. Its been alive for over 5 years already with one more major DLC to come. Thats a longer life cycle than most multiplayer games. It will certainly be due time for a sequel  by 2022.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am slightly disappointed by ark two, but we haven’t seen any gameplay footage. Hopefully they did a good job, but the track record of atlas, Pixark, and ark park doesn’t look good.

Now the animated show looks awesome. I was originally concerned p, but after the trailer I am hyped. It looks and feels like ark. Even the parasaur and raptor sounds are the same (which I love as my oldest surviving creature is a parasaur who guards the base on turret mode. He also has a few thousand weight so we use him unload stuff, I love those noises).

• Like 1

Yeah - I am not into cartoons (haven't been since the 1970s), but the trailer for the animated series looks really cool.  I might have to be the old person who watches it.

As for Ark 2, my intuitions tell me this:

The existence of Ark 2 will not keep Ark from being fixed.  I don't think that many of the big problems in Ark can be fixed.  I don't have evidence other than the amount of time many bugs have been around.

Ark 2 will likely be better than Ark - I will assume that WC wants to make a great game that builds a bigger fanbase.  They will have likely learned from their experience in making Ark, and are aware of what mechanics work well and which ones don't.  They will also likely have a better handle on balance since they have more experience and a bigger world to develop with from the start (as opposed to tacking on new features and creatures).

Again, only intuitions and hopes.

over 6k hours played and I maybe spent $60 aud for all season passes and base game total. so im happy with my investment, most $100 games won't last you 100+ hours. am i going to miss having all the dinos and things i have worked so hard for? yes. Am i going to love starting over with everyone like every new DLC released? of coarse. starting over is always the best time to play. it becomes more skill based than equipment/dino based. you can set your tribe apart from all the others and forge new friendships, trade partners and alliances. you can also invite people to your tribe without fear your going to lose years worth of work. I for one will be in ark 2 as soon as possible.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Darkholis said:

1) It's not a trash engine as a lot of AAA titles uses it. I mean, the industry revolves around either Unreal, Unity or a in-house engine, which very few can afford. It's on WC for failing at using their tools properly.

2) Ark 2 is not on a new engine. The exact wording is "newer", which in reality means an updated version of the current UE4 engine.

3) Do you foolishly believe that the team who can't be bothered to finish SE and meet a single deadline will make a bug-free game on their second one?

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game and I got my money's worth over the years, but that is still no excuses to ignore blatant rampant problems. Doing so basicly green-light them to release half-tested content and more bugs...

Quite a lot of the engine is no longer ue4. It has been quite heavily ripped apart by dev team. The early ue4 is in background but cant call it ue4 100%

What's more than likely happening at Studio Wildcard right now regarding Ark 2, is a shift in focus from what is more than likely the base approach they took for the original Ark game.  I'd imagine the team was relatively inexperienced when it came to development in C++ exclusively, instead the initial project probably made heavy use of the Blueprint system in Unreal Engine.  Unfortunately, you can only go so far with Blueprints before you have to write impactful code.  This is of course speculation, nobody knows for sure what the source looks like for Ark unless you happen to be a Dev on their team.  However, most small studios with limited resources would naturally gravitate towards the BP system for development as it's much easier and doesn't require a seasoned team of C++ developers.    Now that they presumably are going that route, the sky is the limit on what they can accomplish, C++ is the industry leader for game engines and AAA titles due to his power, flexibility and ability to optimize and streamline.  This is promising in that if done right, it will be lightning fast, reduce latency and mechanics, and should really be distinguishable once we step foot inside the game and test it out.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:01 AM, Cucharon said:

I understand normal PS owners that would love to play Ark.

But then there are the "non-normals." It is embarrassing how many rats are calling for Wildcard to go bankrupt, for a boycott, etc. due to an exclusive... owning they a Play Station! How can you be so hypocritical? Lol

you here just to dump on PS players? cause pretty much all your cemments look like you are... nothing wrong with ps players being pissed ark 2 isnt on ps... i played this on official since legacy launched and this game has taken money and time from me like it has on other consoles... not surprising to see people pissed off... 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, Yggdrassil said:

May have killed the game for me. Announcing a new game before releasing content kills all hype for gen 2. Why even bother with gen 2 if it's worthless after a few months. Should have fixed the first game instead of the programmers spending all time on the new game. Unless they have finally written of being able to fix the original game, I hope they don't just abandon it. 

We can see where all the money has been going now at least. That's why bugs will never be fixed. 

Indeed. They'll be relying on hype, a lot of newer more naive players, white knights and moderaters to cover anything else thoroughly.  I enjoy seeing Vinnie in something like this very much so, but now that they've basically just yelled "This is where the money went, thanks and peace!" I feel to some they've just pointed the pistol downward and put a hole in their big toe.

....aaand not a minute into this post, as predicted. 

Edited by Masurao
  • Facepalm 1
  • Volunteer Moderator
On 12/11/2020 at 1:27 AM, Yggdrassil said:

May have killed the game for me. Announcing a new game before releasing content kills all hype for gen 2. Why even bother with gen 2 if it's worthless after a few months.

That is very unlikely to have been the original intention to announce before Gen 2 release. But not sure why people would expect a company to delay such a big announcement 3 months to March 2021. 🤷‍♂️