ARK 2!!

Bigchingus7890

I am slightly disappointed by ark two, but we haven’t seen any gameplay footage. Hopefully they did a good job, but the track record of atlas, Pixark, and ark park doesn’t look good.

Now the animated show looks awesome. I was originally concerned p, but after the trailer I am hyped. It looks and feels like ark. Even the parasaur and raptor sounds are the same (which I love as my oldest surviving creature is a parasaur who guards the base on turret mode. He also has a few thousand weight so we use him unload stuff, I love those noises).

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - I am not into cartoons (haven't been since the 1970s), but the trailer for the animated series looks really cool.  I might have to be the old person who watches it.

As for Ark 2, my intuitions tell me this:

The existence of Ark 2 will not keep Ark from being fixed.  I don't think that many of the big problems in Ark can be fixed.  I don't have evidence other than the amount of time many bugs have been around.

Ark 2 will likely be better than Ark - I will assume that WC wants to make a great game that builds a bigger fanbase.  They will have likely learned from their experience in making Ark, and are aware of what mechanics work well and which ones don't.  They will also likely have a better handle on balance since they have more experience and a bigger world to develop with from the start (as opposed to tacking on new features and creatures).

Again, only intuitions and hopes.

over 6k hours played and I maybe spent $60 aud for all season passes and base game total. so im happy with my investment, most $100 games won't last you 100+ hours. am i going to miss having all the dinos and things i have worked so hard for? yes. Am i going to love starting over with everyone like every new DLC released? of coarse. starting over is always the best time to play. it becomes more skill based than equipment/dino based. you can set your tribe apart from all the others and forge new friendships, trade partners and alliances. you can also invite people to your tribe without fear your going to lose years worth of work. I for one will be in ark 2 as soon as possible.

7 hours ago, Darkholis said:

1) It's not a trash engine as a lot of AAA titles uses it. I mean, the industry revolves around either Unreal, Unity or a in-house engine, which very few can afford. It's on WC for failing at using their tools properly.

2) Ark 2 is not on a new engine. The exact wording is "newer", which in reality means an updated version of the current UE4 engine.

3) Do you foolishly believe that the team who can't be bothered to finish SE and meet a single deadline will make a bug-free game on their second one?

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game and I got my money's worth over the years, but that is still no excuses to ignore blatant rampant problems. Doing so basicly green-light them to release half-tested content and more bugs...

Quite a lot of the engine is no longer ue4. It has been quite heavily ripped apart by dev team. The early ue4 is in background but cant call it ue4 100%

What's more than likely happening at Studio Wildcard right now regarding Ark 2, is a shift in focus from what is more than likely the base approach they took for the original Ark game.  I'd imagine the team was relatively inexperienced when it came to development in C++ exclusively, instead the initial project probably made heavy use of the Blueprint system in Unreal Engine.  Unfortunately, you can only go so far with Blueprints before you have to write impactful code.  This is of course speculation, nobody knows for sure what the source looks like for Ark unless you happen to be a Dev on their team.  However, most small studios with limited resources would naturally gravitate towards the BP system for development as it's much easier and doesn't require a seasoned team of C++ developers.    Now that they presumably are going that route, the sky is the limit on what they can accomplish, C++ is the industry leader for game engines and AAA titles due to his power, flexibility and ability to optimize and streamline.  This is promising in that if done right, it will be lightning fast, reduce latency and mechanics, and should really be distinguishable once we step foot inside the game and test it out.

On 12/12/2020 at 3:01 AM, Cucharon said:

I understand normal PS owners that would love to play Ark.

But then there are the "non-normals." It is embarrassing how many rats are calling for Wildcard to go bankrupt, for a boycott, etc. due to an exclusive... owning they a Play Station! How can you be so hypocritical? Lol

you here just to dump on PS players? cause pretty much all your cemments look like you are... nothing wrong with ps players being pissed ark 2 isnt on ps... i played this on official since legacy launched and this game has taken money and time from me like it has on other consoles... not surprising to see people pissed off... 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, Yggdrassil said:

May have killed the game for me. Announcing a new game before releasing content kills all hype for gen 2. Why even bother with gen 2 if it's worthless after a few months. Should have fixed the first game instead of the programmers spending all time on the new game. Unless they have finally written of being able to fix the original game, I hope they don't just abandon it. 

We can see where all the money has been going now at least. That's why bugs will never be fixed. 

Indeed. They'll be relying on hype, a lot of newer more naive players, white knights and moderaters to cover anything else thoroughly.  I enjoy seeing Vinnie in something like this very much so, but now that they've basically just yelled "This is where the money went, thanks and peace!" I feel to some they've just pointed the pistol downward and put a hole in their big toe.

....aaand not a minute into this post, as predicted. 

• Volunteer Moderator
On 12/11/2020 at 1:27 AM, Yggdrassil said:

May have killed the game for me. Announcing a new game before releasing content kills all hype for gen 2. Why even bother with gen 2 if it's worthless after a few months.

That is very unlikely to have been the original intention to announce before Gen 2 release. But not sure why people would expect a company to delay such a big announcement 3 months to March 2021. 🤷‍♂️

There is risk that they will copy paste  source code of many in game functions so also all malfunctions.

There is risk that we get Wildcard mesh killer in ark 2 too.

Also probably without support service or maybe some part time student to answer on support cases with stipulation of compensation and with internal rule to not help.

And there is risk to fall in usual postponing routine.

And there is  risk they give up with Ark 2 after few months it is in production and left us without fixes and without new content as in that time new game engine will be probably out and  devs will be in hurry to play with it and copy paste old routines for Ark 3.

All in all good old Ark but with new lipstick?

6 hours ago, Noa said:

There is risk that they will copy paste  source code of many in game functions so also all malfunctions.

There is risk that we get Wildcard mesh killer in ark 2 too.

Also probably without support service or maybe some part time student to answer on support cases with stipulation of compensation and with internal rule to not help.

And there is risk to fall in usual postponing routine.

And there is  risk they give up with Ark 2 after few months it is in production and left us without fixes and without new content as in that time new game engine will be probably out and  devs will be in hurry to play with it and copy paste old routines for Ark 3.

All in all good old Ark but with new lipstick?

There is a greater risk that with having some experience in what works and doesn't work, both code wise and PR wise, they can design a game that's easier to maintain, with less problems. That's how things usually go. You build a thing, and the first time you do it it might not turn out great, but then you improve the next time you try to build it. After enough times, you're an expert. I don't see why you're expecting anything else.

The "usual postponing routine" is nothing specific to Wildcard. If you come from a game like Call of Duty or another AAA+ title that are basically the McDonalds of the gaming industry, I get why you might feel that way. But if you stop to think and look around you in the world, at your workplace, and the deeds of others, you would quickly realize it's not such a rare thing for something to be late. You just have to find a way to deal with the fact that the world will never be rid of the phenomenon of lateness.

The problem isn't that some people/companies have a "bad habit" of just being late for no apparent reason. The problem is that the art of predicting the future is a scientific impossibility, so every time a mass of people squeeze a company until they're forced to give something like a date or a timeframe, they're doing educated guessing at best. It's not the people making bad guesses that's the problem. It's the people forcing them to guess. Consumers throw their coffee money around and expect red carpets to be rolled out and megaphones supplied when they want to just ventilate pent up anger at whoever can be deemed "unworthy". It's a weakness to go off on companies or people for disappointing your expectations. You can blow it out of proportion with some bullpoop like "I'm a PAYING CUSTOMER, and I've paid for a SERVICES RENDERED AS ADVERTISED" and blahdiddy dah, but in the end it's just you and your poopty feelings. A grown man/woman who can't deal with disappointment over not getting what they wanted at the exact time they wanted it, and not being able to contain their emotions, and so letting them affect their behavior in ways to affect others negatively. It's a real weakness, no matter how much one tries to make it into something righteous. "I wanted something NOW, and now I have to wait, and I HATE that, so YOUR COMPANY SUCKS, ALWAYS LATE, NEVER ON TIME, SUCH AN EPIC FAIL, JESUS OMG". Anybody will understand the moment they find themselves on the recieving end of an unwarranted expectation. Which is why I strongly believe everyone should work in customer service for at least half a year of their life. Just to see and understand how ridiculous people and their feelings can be, some times. The pessimistic outlooks, the doomsayers. "Wildcard will NEVER make a good game". "This is doomed to fail because THEY MADE A MISTAKE BEFORE!!!!!". Get a dog or find something real to care about, lol.

Well postponing can be also a hipe, a business model or strategy to get more customers apart internal problems (not finished, suddenly you remain without  some developers etc), or  some politic events  like black life matter and like we live now corona virus.

Would be interesting how your logic work when you go to buy car and pay it and you get it more or les after 8 month of waiting or could  this mode of thinking  help to postpone tax payments half year latter with happy state govern in the end?

To those who work with customers first thing what get explained to them that customer have always right apart from how dumb is he.

You made me so full of poo that I'm going to smell til Ark 2 is out in production.

So yea no prepaid version but once it is on servers and running to read few revives and decide to catch some discount at retailers or not.

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, Fresiki said:

There is a greater risk that with having some experience in what works and doesn't work, both code wise and PR wise, they can design a game that's easier to maintain, with less problems. That's how things usually go. You build a thing, and the first time you do it it might not turn out great, but then you improve the next time you try to build it. After enough times, you're an expert. I don't see why you're expecting anything else.

The "usual postponing routine" is nothing specific to Wildcard. If you come from a game like Call of Duty or another AAA+ title that are basically the McDonalds of the gaming industry, I get why you might feel that way. But if you stop to think and look around you in the world, at your workplace, and the deeds of others, you would quickly realize it's not such a rare thing for something to be late. You just have to find a way to deal with the fact that the world will never be rid of the phenomenon of lateness.

The problem isn't that some people/companies have a "bad habit" of just being late for no apparent reason. The problem is that the art of predicting the future is a scientific impossibility, so every time a mass of people squeeze a company until they're forced to give something like a date or a timeframe, they're doing educated guessing at best. It's not the people making bad guesses that's the problem. It's the people forcing them to guess. Consumers throw their coffee money around and expect red carpets to be rolled out and megaphones supplied when they want to just ventilate pent up anger at whoever can be deemed "unworthy". It's a weakness to go off on companies or people for disappointing your expectations. You can blow it out of proportion with some bullpoop like "I'm a PAYING CUSTOMER, and I've paid for a SERVICES RENDERED AS ADVERTISED" and blahdiddy dah, but in the end it's just you and your poopty feelings. A grown man/woman who can't deal with disappointment over not getting what they wanted at the exact time they wanted it, and not being able to contain their emotions, and so letting them affect their behavior in ways to affect others negatively. It's a real weakness, no matter how much one tries to make it into something righteous. "I wanted something NOW, and now I have to wait, and I HATE that, so YOUR COMPANY SUCKS, ALWAYS LATE, NEVER ON TIME, SUCH AN EPIC FAIL, JESUS OMG". Anybody will understand the moment they find themselves on the recieving end of an unwarranted expectation. Which is why I strongly believe everyone should work in customer service for at least half a year of their life. Just to see and understand how ridiculous people and their feelings can be, some times. The pessimistic outlooks, the doomsayers. "Wildcard will NEVER make a good game". "This is doomed to fail because THEY MADE A MISTAKE BEFORE!!!!!". Get a dog or find something real to care about, lol.

Woah! Calm down Jamal !, don't pull out the nine!

On 12/17/2020 at 4:50 PM, Fresiki said:

Their latest DLC, Genesis, runs absolutely horribly. Its a rubberband fest with many many bugs like bloodstalker taming that still arent fixed.

The games been out for 6 years.

All of a sudden bee hives vanished over a month ago and theres still no fix or even acknowledgement of the problem.

Transfers are still a complete chit show with people's inventories getting wiped and losing entire characters.

Doesnt sound like they've gotten better at anything, or we wouldn't be without bee hives for over a month. If you want to argue that Ark 2 will be better off simply because its not Ark 1, well, I cant stop you from believing that but I've seen absolutely nothing that indicates wildcard has gotten better at game development since launch in 2015.

Now if Gen 2 launches well and has minimal problems with amazing content, I can begin to come around to your POV. Given the track record, thats a massive IF.

8 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Their latest DLC, Genesis, runs absolutely horribly. Its a rubberband fest with many many bugs like bloodstalker taming that still arent fixed.

All of a sudden bee hives vanished over a month ago and theres still no fix or even acknowledgement of the problem.

Transfers are still a complete chit show with people's inventories getting wiped and losing entire characters.

Doesnt sound like they've gotten better at anything, or we wouldn't be without bee hives for over a month. If you want to argue that Ark 2 will be better off simply because its not Ark 1, well, I cant stop you from believing that but I've seen absolutely nothing that indicates wildcard has gotten better at game development since launch in 2015.

Now if Gen 2 launches well and has minimal problems with amazing content, I can begin to come around to your POV. Given the track record, thats a massive IF.

When you keep juxtaposing every issue in the game with the fact it's been out for six years, the whole discussion just becomes moot. I agree that Gen 2 will reveal a lot about what we can expect.

But I keep coming back to how the game is built from the ground up. Why did the bee hives disappear indeed? Well, it happened in a patch where they fixed overspawning. So why did they overspawn in the first place? Up until the point when bee hives were added, all the things in the game were generally either objects or creatures. The bee hives are kinda both at the same time. It's a "unique" in game object in the way it behaves and works. The reason for the overspawns probably has to do with the bee hive being categorized as a creature in the game, while behaving like an object. It's hard to know the exact reason for exactly why the bee hives overspawned, but it seems fairly obvious to me the whole bee hive "feature" as implemented in the game is a bit of a Frankenstein.

A lot of features in the game scream of "trying to realize a vision without the proper tools or techniques". Things like how the map behaves. Most games have maps that work as overlays to the game engine, but in Ark, the map is like an in-game object. It's not accurate. When you look at your map and then use a GPS to place a marker on your exact location, the marker won't appear to be where you would expect it to be. I suspect it has to do with the map being an object in the game, and not an overlay style map. The red dot you see on the map actually has a Z-location. It's not a dot on a 2D map, it's a red object in a 3D space that tries to overlay with the map. The map just behaves weirdly. And it reflects light. Now this probably has to do with a fantasy or vision they had for gameplay early on, where if you turn off crosshairs, map marker for your character, etc., having a crude map serves the fantasy of the game.

The problem of meshing similarly seems to be based on the way that maps and landscapes are designed structurally. For some reason, the bottom floor is not the bottom floor. Something about how characters and movement and lag and latency and client-vs-server stuff is being calculated makes it possible for your character to penetrate impenetrable surfaces. Again, this just shows a flawed system, or flawed systems in tandem. Stuff like that NEVER happens in, say, WoW. But WoW wasn't an indie game from a start-up company either. But obviously, there are ways to calculate movement that have these issues, and there's ways to calculate movement hat doesn't have these issues. What does Blizzard do, that Wildcard didn't? Well, if anything, Wildcard should have a better idea of how not to do it now, right? Because they tried it one way, and it didn't work, so at the bare minimum, that's information for them going forward. Next game, try something different, or have the same problems.

They have probably tried to fix most bugs over the years. I suspect that when they stay silent on an issue for a long time, it's because they are trying to find a Frankenstein-ey way of dealing with the problem. They can't just "tear the old system down" because every system in ark reaches into every other system, so one change in one place could cascade into all kinds of other changes having to be made elsewhere to accomodate it. I think they're painfully aware of all the things they can't fix. They would learn that the hard way, by trying to find the cause of the problem. Why can't they just remove how creatures can mutate into movement speed? Why can't they just like add some kind of code that makes it so whenever a stat mutation happens, it just skips over that stat category alltogether? Sounds like a tiny little change they could easily do. But on the other hand, it could be that the way they have buiilt the mutations and leveling system doesn't allow for any such code to be added anywhere without breaking other parts of the system. I would say it's fair to assume that when bugs aren't being fixed, that's the explanation. Not that 50 programmers can't understand their own code, or that they're just unwilling to, or incapable of it. That makes no sense. You can't on the one hand write code, and on the other hand be completely dumbfounded. Writing code is like doing calculus. It's active brain work. Programmers aren't dumb people. The problems they deal with can be very high-resolution. The moralistic complaints of customers are usually one-dimensional - "Fix X, this isn't what I paid for" and then "They're just incompetent" whenever their wish doesn't come true. There's no way to justify high-resolution problems when forced to explain them within a low-resolution frame of thinking.

And there's every reason to think that everyone on the team knows exactly what the limitations of their current system implementations are. And there's every reason to think that when they proceed to work on Ark 2, they will try to construct that game in a way that alleviates them from having to deal with the issues they now face on a daily basis. To think anything else is to pull the curtains down before your eyes and just be willfully blind.

9 hours ago, Kyler101 said:

Woah! Calm down Jamal !, don't pull out the nine!

I don't understand either of these references. I'm perfectly calm, I don't know Jamal, and why would I pull out a number?

Edit: Is it the caps lock? If you read the post, all of the words written in caps are also written in "" to suggest they are quotes from people other than myself.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:01 PM, Fresiki said:

I don't understand either of these references. I'm perfectly calm, I don't know Jamal, and why would I pull out a number?

Edit: Is it the caps lock? If you read the post, all of the words written in caps are also written in "" to suggest they are quotes from people other than myself.

its a joke lol

Archived