ARK 2!!

Bigchingus7890

Shocked and disgusted really. I stayed up last night, watched the trailer and was kinda taken back, but it was just a cinematic so still hyped. Then just came to read actually, wildcard decided to abandon Playstation players. Talk about poopting on 1/3 of your customer base that kept you afloat and successful. Hyping your community to then dump them is such a duche move. 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ark was (is) really ambitious, and I think WC got some stuff right with Ark.  While I would prefer that Ark 2 tried to finish the job and get everything right (like L4D -> L4D2), I think it more likely that they will try to make Ark 2 something much different - that might keep people playing Ark and get more sales for a different experience in Ark 2.

I am hoping for the best - I hope it works out and adds something positive to the franchise.  It looks like a lot of work went into the trailer, but it was more cringy for me than exciting or awe inspiring.  So I am not sure if we are off to a good start.

7 hours ago, Rio4201 said:

Welp.. I can't say I'm overly impressed by the trailer, I mean "neato it's Vin Diesel" but yeah.. without the selling points as to why I'd give up years of collecting dinos, breeding, and building bases, it really had no effect on me at all.  I don't care about who the voice actors are, I care about the gameplay and mechanics..  I also agree, we have Pt 2 coming out in what? March? Hopefully? So is this the end of the first franchise of Ark? Should we even bother playing Ark? I have ALOT of things flying around in my head at this point, what's gonna happen to the old Ark servers? Is breeding going to be a thing in Ark 2? Is this on a different server architecture? Is it going to be a monthly sub? etc etc etc. 

I was having this discussion with people in a party during the announcement. They were saying that they hope they let you transfer stuff from ark to ark 2, and bringing your character over and stuff. I made a very valid point during them speculating.... Legacy Servers.... They didn't let you bring anything to the new servers from legacy. Also they wouldn't let you bring items or dinos over from the first game as it would break the game.... Imagine taking 1 Giga or even a rex that has been bred to its max base stats, then you transfer it to the new game... Either you would instantly become a superpower on a server or the difficulty would be to the extreme where the native wildlife can hold its own against your dino so that new players would have a hard time surviving. 

Unless they do something like what dragon age done, where your actions in the first game impacted the story of the second, or they have a way of recording what you owned on ark 1 and compensate you in the second by giving you a 'Booster Pack' that gives you items/Dinos in the second game. 

Kinda regretting my last words before the announcement came.... "I'm not gonna be leaving Ark again till they close the servers because I don't want to have to start over again".... 

There is a reason why there won't be Minecraft 2. There shouldn't be ARK2 too. ARK's a game that doesn't end. ARK2 should be an upgrade to the engine and straighter, easier to maintain source code. There should be a tool to convert every map savegame from ARK1 to ARK2. Yes, there should be the same maps and new ones later on.

11 minutes ago, SAS said:

There is a reason why there won't be Minecraft 2. There shouldn't be ARK2 too. ARK's a game that doesn't end. ARK2 should be an upgrade to the engine and straighter, easier to maintain source code. There should be a tool to convert every map savegame from ARK1 to ARK2. Yes, there should be the same maps and new ones later on.

I don't think it would be worth the work to just re make ark but with the new engine, if that is what you are suggesting. If they are going to build a whole new game from scratch, why not make it a whole new game? I hope they do well.

So ark2 is supposed to be "beyond anything we've ever done prior". Quite the opposite imho. I fail to see how it's any different from anything they always did. Looks like a part of same old vicious cycle:

rush release - patch it a bit - start something new and abandon everything you did before - repeat

Engine is not what holds ark back. Problem is their organisation of development process and management. Eventually ark2 will repeat every mistake ark1 did and add few more on top.

Higher system requirements will prevent a lot of people from playing. Emphasis on better graphics will end up in what, 50Tb installation size? Popping DLCs on a regular basis will freeze core game improvements again.

Another interesting question is what will happen with ark1? It's counter productive to keep it alive while pushing same thing in new candy wrapper, not to mention it would smear player base too thin and endanger both games. Therefore I guess old server will get shutdown. Would define a clear trend - base game, legacy servers, every DLC, ark1, nothing you do matters or here for long, it will get ditched as soon as something new pops up.

Quite disappointing.

4 minutes ago, GP said:

That statement made by Dollie was in relation to the Big announcement..... the big announcement that also included the Ark animated series....

Tbh I don't understand that part at all. While it really is very different from everything else they did, but I'm missing the grandeur part of it.

Animation itself is not disney/pixar/dreamworks quality, yet it's not a machinima with reusing of existing game assets. It can't be consumed again and again as we do with a game which is an interactive media.

What I'm trying to say is what's it purpose? Is animation series really profitable nowadays?

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, deedoubleu said:

Tbh I don't understand that part at all. While it really is very different from everything else they did, but I'm missing the grandeur part of it.

Animation itself is not disney/pixar/dreamworks quality, yet it's not a machinima with reusing of existing game assets. It can't be consumed again and again as we do with a game which is an interactive media.

What I'm trying to say is what's it purpose? Is animation series really profitable nowadays?

I think you're digging too deep.

I'm pretty sure producing an animated TV series like this is a massive deal for a small company like Wildcard. Look at it from their point of view rather than yours.

I'm not an executive but I see some potential problems from a business perspective. New game = lower sales for Genesis and base game cause these don't matter anymore. PS community morale will take a hit, players might abandon the base game and ignore sequels. Uncertainty about whether you will be able to continue playing your worlds you invested a part of your life and soul in the near future could drive away many players, some of them, this time, forever.

The ARK2 announcement IMHO devalued the core product and before Christmas sales too. If I were to make publicity decisions I'd hurry up to release a follow up clarification on those concerns.

It's truly something Wildcard haven't done before if you mean playerbase's confusion.

I hope everything will turn out great but some words must be spoken. I'm patiently waiting for them as long as needed.

2 hours ago, SAS said:

Ark 1 has too many bugs, it's unfixable. Developers said it. Ark 2 is 100% needed. I needs to be made from zero.

So it's almost impossible to be retrocompatible.

Can people stop saying Ark 2 is on a new engine please, since it's impossible.

- UE5 is slated for late-2021 release and Fortnite will be the first one. (https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq)
- The sole existing versions of UE4 that supports xbox-x consoles are UE 4.25 & 4.26.
- Ark 1 is using UE 4.5.1, so Ark 2 simply uses an UPDATED engine, not a new one.

Get your facts straight before posting BS, thanks.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Darkholis said:

- UE5 is slated for late-2021 release and Fortnite will be the first one. (https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/faq)
- The sole existing versions of UE4 that supports xbox-x consoles are UE 4.25 & 4.26.
- Ark 1 is using UE 4.5.1, so Ark 2 simply uses an UPDATED engine, not a new one.

An updated engine can still be considered a new engine compared to the previous engine.

Stop having a hissy fit over something so trivial.

2 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

Many big companies are currently working with Unreal Engine 5. Not saying this is the case, but it could be. Microsoft is working with Wildcard to do Ark II.

5 minutes ago, GP said:

An updated engine can still be considered a new engine compared to the previous engine.

Stop having a hissy fit over something so trivial.

No, that's BS to cultivate hype. Jeez, even Epic uses the term updated on their own website.

4 minutes ago, Cucharon said:

Many big companies are currently working with Unreal Engine 5. Not saying this is the case, but it could be. Microsoft is working with Wildcard to do Ark II.

Sources? Not according to Epic, since the engine is not even available in a pre-release version.

2 minutes ago, GP said:

Well if you want to blame someone for something so trivial blame Ced as he used the term "newer" not "updated".

I saw all the tweets and yes he wrote it. We both know if he wrote "updated" instead of "newer", the poopstorm would have raged immediately.

I'm still looking for WC's position in regard to mods, since they went radio-silent on that one...

Archived