Theri questions

jacksweat21

3 hours ago, jacksweat21 said:

Are theri worth breeding for utility? I have a war line but I feel like a bront is just better in every way. 

Boss theri v boss Rex which is better for brood mother fight? Given no good megatherium

Yes, theri can be good for utility because they can travel places quickly if you need them to, and because they are very agile and move around obstacles easily. Having said that, you already know they're not the best animals for weight, that's not their main use.

I like theris better than rexs for boss fights because:
1) Theris are more agile and get stuck on things less (including getting stuck on each other)

2) Theris has a smaller size so it's easier for you and the mount you are riding to maneuver around them during the fight (even when we have used rex's in fights I still prefer to ride a theri so I can maneuver better).

3) Theris can self-heal by putting veggie cakes in their inventory.

4) Theri has fire resistance, so if you have a good theri bloodline they will still be good after you're done with Broodmother because they're also better than rex's for Dragon.

5) Theris are also better for the final Island boss in the Tek Cave. They maneuver better so it's easier to lead a group of them through the cave to get to the boss.

If I had to pick just one species for as many boss fights as possible, I would choose theri. Obviously it's slower to tame theri's and on most maps it's harder to find high level theris than rexes, but I think it's worth it. Once you have a good theri bloodline they are better for bosses than rexes.

Theris will work but I prefer rexes. I haven't done spider fight yet but i've defeated alpha monkey with no losses using rexes. I feel theris aren't as easy because veggie cakes aren't that easy to make. And when you have to stock 19 theris, it's not easy. If you can get rexes to over 35k health and 800% melee, then you should have no problem with the spider.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, AirplaneSlider said:

Theris will work but I prefer rexes. I haven't done spider fight yet but i've defeated alpha monkey with no losses using rexes. I feel theris aren't as easy because veggie cakes aren't that easy to make. And when you have to stock 19 theris, it's not easy. If you can get rexes to over 35k health and 800% melee, then you should have no problem with the spider.

I've found you only really need the cakes for Dragon fight, and maybe Alpha Brood. But the rest don't really need cakes.

20 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Yes, theri can be good for utility because they can travel places quickly if you need them to, and because they are very agile and move around obstacles easily. Having said that, you already know they're not the best animals for weight, that's not their main use.

I like theris better than rexs for boss fights because:
1) Theris are more agile and get stuck on things less (including getting stuck on each other)

2) Theris has a smaller size so it's easier for you and the mount you are riding to maneuver around them during the fight (even when we have used rex's in fights I still prefer to ride a theri so I can maneuver better).

3) Theris can self-heal by putting veggie cakes in their inventory.

4) Theri has fire resistance, so if you have a good theri bloodline they will still be good after you're done with Broodmother because they're also better than rex's for Dragon.

5) Theris are also better for the final Island boss in the Tek Cave. They maneuver better so it's easier to lead a group of them through the cave to get to the boss.

If I had to pick just one species for as many boss fights as possible, I would choose theri. Obviously it's slower to tame theri's and on most maps it's harder to find high level theris than rexes, but I think it's worth it. Once you have a good theri bloodline they are better for bosses than rexes.

Note on number 4. Fire resistance does not work against dragons fireball or breath.

On 12/6/2020 at 7:56 PM, Luewen said:

Note on number 4. Fire resistance does not work against dragons fireball or breath.

According to the wiki it does, what's the source that contradicts the wiki?

"An army of Therizinosaurus are a players best chance at beating the dragon since they have stats to rival the Rex's and because they are herbivores they take less damage from the Dragons attacks"

"Rex could still work however if attempted over the Therizino Strategy they would definitely need the help of a Daeodon and Yutyrannus due Therizinos having fire resistance against fireball and Rexes unable to heal with vegetable cakes."

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dragon

4 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

According to the wiki it does, what's the source that contradicts the wiki?

"An army of Therizinosaurus are a players best chance at beating the dragon since they have stats to rival the Rex's and because they are herbivores they take less damage from the Dragons attacks"

"Rex could still work however if attempted over the Therizino Strategy they would definitely need the help of a Daeodon and Yutyrannus due Therizinos having fire resistance against fireball and Rexes unable to heal with vegetable cakes."

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dragon

Wiki has been edited to be wrong again... Dragons flamebreath is hardcoded dot with that does 20% of max hp over 10 seconds and no resistance or armor reduces it. It uses DmgType_Explosion_NoMetal thus no resistance gained by herbivores. Herbis have 0.4 damage adjuster for ShooterDamageTypeBP_Fire. This has been discussed before and it can be checked in devkit.

5 minutes ago, Luewen said:

Wiki has been edited to be wrong again... Dragons flamebreath is hardcoded dot and goes through any resistance. This has been discussed before and it can be checked in devkit.

The breath yes, but the fireball as well? I believe its this way, Luewen is correct about the breath, for sure. I remember this chat many times.

But if I remember correct the fire ball does get the reduced % effect? Which doesn't matter anyways in the grand scheme because of that dammed fire breath.

12 minutes ago, d1nk said:

The breath yes, but the fireball as well? I believe its this way, Luewen is correct about the breath, for sure. I remember this chat many times.

But if I remember correct the fire ball does get the reduced % effect? Which doesn't matter anyways in the grand scheme because of that dammed fire breath.

Yes that is correct. Checked devkit. Resistance does work against fireball. I stand corrected.

The dragon breath is indeed hard-coded to bypass any fire resistance, that's been confirmed multiple times.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:36 PM, jacksweat21 said:

Boss theri v boss Rex which is better for brood mother fight? Given no good megatherium

Theriz are simply better than rexes in just about any boss fights.

- They are smaller, thus easier to position & navigation (circling boss + tek cave).
- I can't stress enough the advantage of veggie cakes compared to losing dps having a daeodon around.
- Minimal mutations are required to get into alpha fights compared to rexes. I easily clear the alpha dragon with lightly mutated zinos (3 hp + 3 dmg) when rexes would need insanely high dmg to overcome their lack of in-combat healing.

Anyone who doubt me is welcome to check my YT videos of every single Island boss figths using zinos.

2 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Megatherium and Rhino also work well, Rhinos mostly only if you have lots o people.

Only issue with Megatherium is they don't eat veggie cakes because they aren't pure herbivores, just like Dire Bears (ruined my dream of boss bears :(  ).  But they can be quite tanky, and deal quite a bit of damage especially in the Broodmother fight.

I love Therizinos for fights though, for the same reason many others in the thread do:  The veggie cakes are tremendously helpful.  Therizinos deal great damage and maneuver well, but the cakes are the best part.  They essentially approach immortality.

Archived