December 10th announcement

HalfSquatch2042

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/4/2020 at 10:44 AM, LEDminer said:

I've been told that the devs said that updating the game engine wouldn't be worth it. Doing so might solve many in-game issues.

With that being said, I also feel that they are planning on doing everything better for their next title rather than trying to fix this game.

Is it a good thing? Depends on your view on it.

cough atlas cough .... that was their next 'other' game so yeah ...... a game which is based on land most of the time that is made on a map of water is gonna have problems unless u live on the water BUT then u still fall through items again and again ... i dunno maybe its my cynical view showing that ark is a love hate relationship but some wounds never heal :P

On 12/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, Darkholis said:

Considering just about every single video-game based movie failed horribly, minus 1-2 exceptions. Heck, I remember watching that mess of a Mario Bros movie ages ago...

Yeah, but the Mario Bros movie was such a strange and amazing mess it's almost more impressive than a "good" movie. I mean watch some reviews that talk about the history of how the movie was produced, the constant drinking on set, the strippers hired for scenes, the various near life threatening injuries on set, etc.

It has aged like fine wine really. :)

• Volunteer Moderator
13 hours ago, LEDminer said:

I feel Atlas was a rushed game.

Well, I think the issue is that players were expecting a fully finished game while it was in reality an early access launch. The early access program allows developers not only to fund their development but for players to get involved. For example, ARK, if that wasn't for it being early access, there would be much less content than it have today. From the start, WC said they only planned ~70 creatures and they ended up with like 120+, more biomes, more caves, etc. all thanks to early access showing interest, suggesting stuff through the digest and whatnot. Just like players are complaining about ARK still suffering from bugs, or that updates are breaking stuff, they don't realize that as along as new DLC/TLC and content will be added new bugs will be introduced or old bugs already fixed will be broken again. I'm sure once they are done adding content for good they will go back and fix a lot of stuff and small bugs that are still around.

13 hours ago, LEDminer said:

They should have held back on it and made it from scratch. Instead, they just used ARK (and updated the game engine) to make the game.

Hopefully, their next game won't be like this. Maybe they could make it on UE5.

Why would they re-invent the wheel they have been developing for the past years? They have been developing libraries and tools they can re-use and it would be a waste of time to re-invent them. If anything, not only it speeds up the development of their new titles, but also ensure they have more robust foundations every times since they won't be re-introducing the same bugs and issues they already faced and fixed, etc. Do you really think Windows 10 was built from scratch? Or that your new iPhone isn't using code from its past generations? Microsoft and Apple spent years developing those tools, no reason for them to start from scratch. So yeah, I'm sure their next game will be based upon the progress and improvements they did on ATLAS and they will build the one after on the progress they made and so on.

On 12/5/2020 at 4:59 PM, XxxGodzxxX said:

Their going to announce that they're getting the award for pissing off the most people in a single game award. And tied for first in place in  worst game support of a game that's getting WORSE over time , than better.(with special shout outs to worst networks around)

Not sure what game you are playing but the game has come miles from what it was at release. Both performance and quality wise. We would not have any server up for more than 5 minutes a day now without the optimizations they have done during the years for example. Running servers use much less resources than before. 

No server will run flawlessly with the amount of crap ppl have hoarded on the servers, not even speaking about those huuuuuuge ugly boxes that takes minutes to load to house 15 dinos. You cant upgrade server hardware without diminishing returns on money invested to performance gained. 

18 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Well, I think the issue is that players were expecting a fully finished game while it was in reality an early access launch. The early access program allows developers not only to fund their development but for players to get involved. For example, ARK, if that wasn't for it being early access, there would be much less content than it have today. From the start, WC said they only planned ~70 creatures and they ended up with like 120+, more biomes, more caves, etc. all thanks to early access showing interest, suggesting stuff through the digest and whatnot. Just like players are complaining about ARK still suffering from bugs, or that updates are breaking stuff, they don't realize that as along as new DLC/TLC and content will be added new bugs will be introduced or old bugs already fixed will be broken again. I'm sure once they are done adding content for good they will go back and fix a lot of stuff and small bugs that are still around.

Why would they re-invent the wheel they have been developing for the past years? They have been developing libraries and tools they can re-use and it would be a waste of time to re-invent them. If anything, not only it speeds up the development of their new titles, but also ensure they have more robust foundations every times since they won't be re-introducing the same bugs and issues they already faced and fixed, etc. Do you really think Windows 10 was built from scratch? Or that your new iPhone isn't using code from its past generations? Microsoft and Apple spent years developing those tools, no reason for them to start from scratch. So yeah, I'm sure their next game will be based upon the progress and improvements they did on ATLAS and they will build the one after on the progress they made and so on.

You are correct on most parts. Some stuff in the game is not fixable though without update on ue4. And thats not gonna happen with the heavily modified version game is running on.

They have updated lot on atlas but in the end its still running on the same modified version of ue4 that ark is using. So miracles cant be done.

2 hours ago, Zen00 said:

Yeah, but the Mario Bros movie was such a strange and amazing mess it's almost more impressive than a "good" movie. I mean watch some reviews that talk about the history of how the movie was produced, the constant drinking on set, the strippers hired for scenes, the various near life threatening injuries on set, etc.

It has aged like fine wine really. :)

I must ask. If you think the Mario bro movie had a history, have you watched the Star Wars holiday special. If the ark movie was this much quality I would buy it in a second. Here is the link if you are unfamiliar:

2 hours ago, Luewen said:

Not sure what game you are playing but the game has come miles from what it was at release. Both performance and quality wise. We would not have any server up for more than 5 minutes a day now without the optimizations they have done during the years for example. Running servers use much less resources than before. 

No server will run flawlessly with the amount of crap ppl have hoarded on the servers, not even speaking about those huuuuuuge ugly boxes that takes minutes to load to house 15 dinos. You cant upgrade server hardware without diminishing returns on money invested to performance gained. 

I love when people "try" to defend the obviious .

I completely agree with everyone saying Ark 2 is a no go at this point. The biggest and best announcement that could make would be that they are upgrading all of the hardware and servers AND going through the game line by line to eliminate excess files and code that have been layered and layered and layered over the last 5 years. Clean up the code and re-present Ark. Also, backing up the character to your Xbox/PlayStation/PC account so that when it's time to uninstall and reinstall the newly fixed game there arent any issues. If they come up and say Ark 2... I will probably quit playing. I've so much time and effort put into this game... Ark 2 would mean no more fixes or updates or support for the original leaving all of us high and dry with the game as is. Think about it... Do the old COD games have any support or updates or events ?? No. Only the newest thing gets the attention... Which is kinda the point from the business standpoint... They need to make money. On the other hand... I'd be willing to bet many players would donate money toward a total re-vamp of the game. 

Also... Another possible scenario... Is WC partnering with another big company... Or selling out... However you want to say it... Bjt if they would partner with Xbox studios... Or Bethesda.... Or Ubisoft... One of the big players... They game could be fixed in no time at all. And all of the WC employees could stand to gain a wealth of knowledge and career advancement. Best of both worlds, imho. 

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, Recoil said:

What time is this announcement dropping? My guess is the "big announcement" is just simply dates for Gen II and that it will be the biggest map or most ambitious project yet. 

The Game Awards starts in about 8.5 hours from now. The announcement will be at some point during the event, but no idea when.

Gen 2 dates does not fit with it being a big announcement, bigger than anything they've done before. They've already stated the Gen 2 map is the biggest map they've made.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, Duffmek said:

better stable servers .... region lock ..... ancient bugs fixed .... REAL optimization .... chat translator from squares to english / common language of region / server 

BUT i am guessing its Ark 2 cant be a new map with crystal isles just out imo however knowing these devs it could be absolutely anything lol 

better servers wont happen unless region lock does box tribes destroy servers most pve servers i go to now are full of disconnects cuz they dupe last night i had to go to 8 dif ex servers just to find 1 i did not get disconnected from 

2 hours ago, GP said:

The Game Awards starts in about 8.5 hours from now. The announcement will be at some point during the event, but no idea when.

Gen 2 dates does not fit with it being a big announcement, bigger than anything they've done before. They've already stated the Gen 2 map is the biggest map they've made.

well them saying its the biggest they have made is not saying much since all the paid maps are smaller then rag 

Archived