December 10th announcement

HalfSquatch2042

Im sure most of you know that the devs have teased a big announcement soon. 

What are you hoping for? What would disappoint you?

+Ark 2

+PSN/XBL/PC crossplay

+Atlas style ship building and mega server

-Just announcing a new map or another season pass for Ark

-Ark is coming to Stadia....

-Ark is going F2P and adding microtransactions (lol please god no)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont understand why so many want ark 2. Why? I have so much on this game and id be happy with just a few thing improved in the current game, the biggest for me being physics, floating bags etc are really annoying to me.

That being said, most logical assumption to me would be gen 2 related, either release date change, content or 'gen 3'.  

better stable servers .... region lock ..... ancient bugs fixed .... REAL optimization .... chat translator from squares to english / common language of region / server 

BUT i am guessing its Ark 2 cant be a new map with crystal isles just out imo however knowing these devs it could be absolutely anything lol 

13 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

I dont understand why so many want ark 2. Why? I have so much on this game and id be happy with just a few thing improved in the current game, the biggest for me being physics, floating bags etc are really annoying to me.

That being said, most logical assumption to me would be gen 2 related, either release date change, content or 'gen 3'.  

I feel like its at the point where theyve added so much content and patched around so many bugs that the only chance to fix things is to have a new starting point. I'd like to see massive changes that we wont get through a regular update. New dinos/maps sprinkled in is wearing thin. People clearly still want to play Ark 5 years later but now we have better GPUs coming out and new consoles. The near future looks ripe for a 2nd try. 

I started out playing Ark on PS4 when it launched and that was the most fun i've had gaming in the last 5 years. It lasted roughly 10  months and ive spent the time since trying to recapture that experience. Late stage Ark needs retooled somehow. Now ive got a PC that can run it on Epic and im ready for something big. 

• Volunteer Moderator
6 minutes ago, deedoubleu said:

I didn't see announcement.

If it's big - gen2, if not so big - some meaningless stuff like "guess what this slightly mutilated conceptart is", ant chibi or another pair of underpants.

Anyways, I don't have high hopes so it would be hard to disappoint me.

20 minutes ago, GP said:

Ah, ty, Now I understand what's all the hubbub is about.

Kinda hard not to overhype with statement like this. Then I'll change my bet to maturation_speed/mutation_chance increasing candies or device.

Or maybe it's still new DLC, but properly tested this time, would perfectly fit description =P

Hopes:

Adding new dinos and content to old maps (Scorched ascension? Could it happen???).

Crossplay between platforms.

Adding mod content to the base game.

Fears:

ARK 2 (too soon IMO).

Adding mod content that doesn't "fit in" with regular ARK.

A ton of bug fixes (yes the game needs it, but with that sort of announcement it would be a bit disappointing).

it will just be another desperate cash grab - I cant believe the number of people that are interested in an ark 2. what possible reasoning is there that WC would do any better job on a new title? look at the job they have done with ark and atlas. ark has gotten worse over the years in terms of stability, exploits, bugs, etc. why on earth would someone want a new game from this company? its like getting ripped off at a car lot, getting a complete lemon, and wanting to go back and buy another car there.

3 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Because things can change. This car lot in your example could learn from customer feedback and start selling cars that aren't crap. Wild Card can do the same.

Of course, if this ARK 2 ends being a copy-paste similar to ATLAS then at least I'm not supporting it.

of course things can change. the problem is WC has had 5 (actually more) years to change their policies and have not. in fact, some facets of the company have gotten worse, such as customer service/ game stability. Going all the way back to beta, prior to scorched earth, WC has shown a strong bias to continually release new content, instead of fixing existing issues with the game. In addition the new content is so poorly done, that it introduces all kinds of new problems, resulting in an increasingly broken game. WC has shown no interest in delivering a polished, quality product in any way. saying that 'things can change' doesnt hold much water with the history of WC. 

15 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Because things can change. This car lot in your example could learn from customer feedback and start selling cars that aren't crap. Wild Card can do the same.

Of course, if this ARK 2 ends being a copy-paste similar to ATLAS then at least I'm not supporting it.

While Atlas overall is kinda terrible, it does introduce a couple things I'd love for Ark to implement. Give me that mega-server 100 players(or more) per block all connected and the ablity to travel freely between them. Also, the building in general is better in Atlas, the dock and ship building is great, the quick toggle between walls/doorframes/windows system is better. 

28 minutes ago, HalfSquatch2042 said:

While Atlas overall is kinda terrible, it does introduce a couple things I'd love for Ark to implement. Give me that mega-server 100 players(or more) per block all connected and the ablity to travel freely between them. Also, the building in general is better in Atlas, the dock and ship building is great, the quick toggle between walls/doorframes/windows system is better. 

The servers and maps in Ark aren't setup for more players. Performance issues are probably one of the top things complained about by players

What I hope for is they announce a migration to better server hardware and proper character backups 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

I think announcing ark 2 before releasing gen 2 would be a mistake from a business standpoint. Here, buy this dlc that will be obsolete in a few months. 

I would imagine the earliest we would see an Ark 2 released would be fall 2021. Far enough out to not cannibalize their own product. 

41 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

They could of course announce that they are making an ARK 2, but that doesn't mean it would come out anytime soon.

I doubt they'd even have anything done at this point, just some concept art.

Yeah let me know that Ark 2 is a thing for late 2021 and then drop full crossplay servers on me for Ark right now!

My dearest hope is a recoding like the Isle got. A huge push to fix and polish the entire game, to basically build back from the ground up. New code, TLC for the older creatures, map fixes, everything from A to Z about Ark torn down and made better. I don't care if something like that takes till 2023 and costs twice as much as the game does now, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. 

Archived