Rail Gun range random?/bugged?/glitched?

Chrysa1is

Im on single player just doing some rail gun science. And the range of this gun is confusing me. I am aware that a triangular looking symbol appears in x ray mode telling you that your target is close enough to hit. Im aware of the scope toggle, im aware of how many structures you can shoot through etc etc.

On ark gamepedia it says in the notes that the railgun has a range of 33 foundations. Ive tested this out on a skiff, and i could only shoot the skiff from 7 foundations away. Tested it out on random wild dinos and the range varied between 7-17 foundations. Tried shooting from higher and further vantage points and i can definitely hit more that 17 foundations away. It is always random and hard to determine the cause.

Is there a mechanic that i am missing here? Does enemy type/height above sea level affect the range of the rail gun?

It has got to be a bug. I hope that it is not the single player settings affecting the gun. I literally just joined a single player session so no settings were changed.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Thanks

Archived