dino ability and balance

Blackmagic9000

hello you fellow survior scrub lords, today i wanted to discuss my opinion on certain dinos abilities as well as balance in general 

Lets start with abilitys, troodons as well as parasaurs ruin stealth and to make matters worse some brain dead scrub can just yet it with a flyer and your exposed, this also means any dino you have hidden underground will also sadly exposing em

This alone makes dinos of this class (some more then otbers) complete useless, i like they can detect babys and enemy dinos or whatever but to expose players let along a hidden dino? Hell no, not even letting it be used when it has a flyer taking it around the place

There is absolutely no counter to this combo, god forbid your a sniper lets say guess what your now left with either A die or B prey to the ark gods your stupid butt somehow makes it to safety, it literally takes little to no skill at all and is in my opinion unfair as hell, no stealth at all

This isn't even including lag that wild card sadly does not car nor will they anytime soon, your life can very well be up to them, which could mean your hard work base, dinos etc could be gone or your escape fail

The last balance is the server numbers...god i wish dinos did not expose their numbers, this also takes no skill, but if it must for the sake of balance if you wana be stealthy you must  Neuter your dino to hide where it came from 

It's like this, the magmasaur was ment to kill turtles, but got nerf and perhaps it will need to get buff again when gen 2 is released 

What do you guys think, what would you change or what would yall advice?

Please let me know! Again remember this is just my opinion! :D

So for one, It was really hard to understand this post, Do consider using bullets and more defined ways to tell what you are saying. You are saying you want Troodons and Parasaurs to be unable to detect Purlovia Traps, and Rock Drake Invisibility.

Good balance, however every nerf needs a buff. This could be plausible if the Parasaur had a dismount feature (Similar to a panic on a Equus) when an invisible and cloaked creature is nearby. Also maybe add an extra 1/2 Time of normal cooldown detection time to the cooldown. As for Troodons, I think they should stay the same. They are meant to be hunters.

And ignore the lag. That's not wildcard, it's either frame rate on your end, or internet issues. Hopefully you enjoyed my add-on idea.

Can't say I quite understand what you're getting at. I entirely forgot that Troodon could detect things, but their supposed to be incredibly deadly hunters so it makes sense. As for Parasaurs, I do think they need a bit of a nerf, but I also think a higher tier creature like a Bat or something should have the ability as it is now, like an upgrade. Maybe the Parasaur could only detect moving threats while the new creature could detect everything. 

51 minutes ago, Qwertymine said:

Can't say I quite understand what you're getting at. I entirely forgot that Troodon could detect things, but their supposed to be incredibly deadly hunters so it makes sense. As for Parasaurs, I do think they need a bit of a nerf, but I also think a higher tier creature like a Bat or something should have the ability as it is now, like an upgrade. Maybe the Parasaur could only detect moving threats while the new creature could detect everything. 

Great Idea, The Oync hasn't gotten much love just yet.

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

what if a parasaur could only detect wild and unclaimed dinos?

Feels too heavy a nerf overall. It's nice to know when enemies are near your base. I think Parasaurs in general as smaller herbivore mounts should be more focused on the defensive/evasive aspects of their abilities(Only being able to detect moving enemies, having an ability to scare off smaller carnivores) and that there should be a different creature(Maybe a TLC Onyc) that focuses on the offensive uses of sonar abilities, like detection of hidden/still targets(For finding buried dinos and hidden bases) and sonar blasts(Disorientation and stuns) as to not encroach upon the Parasaur's usefulness.

The Parasaur is a low tier dino regardless of its abilities, to nerf them in such a way may be too much. I think simply only detecting moving targets(Which the Parasaur often deals with anyways) would not only help those who have problems with how Parasaurs can easily find bases, but also keep the Parasaur good as a defensive early warning dino. 

The real problem isn’t paras and their detection. You get around that by using cryopods. The real problem is ini. You can hide dinos but with graphics ini mods no where can a base be hidden. Vaults under the sea are easily seen and bases in a dense jungle looks like a building stand alone on a flat featureless landscape. 

ini needs to be stopped 

1 hour ago, johnm81 said:

The real problem isn’t paras and their detection. You get around that by using cryopods. The real problem is ini. You can hide dinos but with graphics ini mods no where can a base be hidden. Vaults under the sea are easily seen and bases in a dense jungle looks like a building stand alone on a flat featureless landscape. 

ini needs to be stopped 

I agree with John.  I was absolutely blown away at what people can do with ini edits.  It takes any subtlety away from base hiding and your base appears like a black blot of paint on a blank canvas, basically.  Scouting for bases is as simple as finding a Bronto in the Highlands.

I'm not a PvP player for a multitude of reasons but I often try to devise strategies based on the current PvP landscape. I know inis are a huge problem and the Parasaur does take some of the stealth aspects away as a mobile detector but based on those, and really just discounting inis as not a thing to be done, I think the following ways could help with hidden caches from the normal player and mobile Parasaurs

1) Bury Purlovia by an enemy base. This of course needs to be a base without a Parasaur or not enough  and some blind spots/cover spots. A mobile Parasaur probably won't venture too close to a base.

2) Bury a Purlovia in a cave. The trick is finding a cave not associated with building. You can clear out the nasties with whatever and again mobile Parasaurs probably won't check the area.

3) Ragnarok Desert Islands. Very far out of the way. People check the border for rafts but I'm not sure if they would lug a Parasaur out there. Could also be a spot for several small storage boxes.

4) Underwater caches. There are 3 dino's that could be used as underwater caches, each with their own strengths and flaws, all out of Parasaur detection range if deep enough.

A) Basilisk. Can bury but does draw wild aggro. An astute traveler could investigate an area of phantom Shark bites.

B) Karkinos. No wild aggro besides sea Scorpions and Piranha's. Has to be left in best hidden place you can find though.

C) Golem. Does not draw wild aggro besides Sea scorpions and Piranha's. Can also even mask itself a bit in rock form.  Someone aware will notice that terrible disguise though.

None of these suggestions are 100% but that shouldn't be the goal. The goal is to make someone work a little harder for it rather than a Bob with some berries being able to get a full set up after flying around for a few hours. I think these address that.

I will be sure to bullet from now on

But to clear up

Magmasaur: from when it was Frist released it was ment to crush turtles (aka base full of autos etc) but now is useless, this will be even more so when gen 2 is released as it'll take longer or be impossible to raid a good defense full of autos due to the ammo bag thing

main point: basically is the stealth, i missed the days you could be a sneaky sniper in the bush, a clever trapper, hell a clever pirate who can hide their loot, when you have dinos like i mentioned whats the point of stealth, the dinos who can hide themselves underground are basically useless in the stealth aspect, it's like hacked uav, someone gets a dragon and flys around till they find something like a base, players egen regular if your moving or not, i maybe can get it if they are station then maybe but there is absolutely no counter against their ability, no bug spray no nothing, thats where i have an issue

In my opinion wild card should embrace stealth tactics, instead they nerf it and make it much harder for dmall tribes to have any hope, don't tell me "no one will do it" excuse, people can and will fly to do a check up on any activity, hell your raft by the borders isn't safe, underwater is a joke

I hope this clears things up, remember this is just my opinion, i ask only to look at things from both the attackers and defenders pov

4 hours ago, Blackmagic9000 said:

I will be sure to bullet from now on

But to clear up

Magmasaur: from when it was Frist released it was ment to crush turtles (aka base full of autos etc) but now is useless, this will be even more so when gen 2 is released as it'll take longer or be impossible to raid a good defense full of autos due to the ammo bag thing

main point: basically is the stealth, i missed the days you could be a sneaky sniper in the bush, a clever trapper, hell a clever pirate who can hide their loot, when you have dinos like i mentioned whats the point of stealth, the dinos who can hide themselves underground are basically useless in the stealth aspect, it's like hacked uav, someone gets a dragon and flys around till they find something like a base, players egen regular if your moving or not, i maybe can get it if they are station then maybe but there is absolutely no counter against their ability, no bug spray no nothing, thats where i have an issue

In my opinion wild card should embrace stealth tactics, instead they nerf it and make it much harder for dmall tribes to have any hope, don't tell me "no one will do it" excuse, people can and will fly to do a check up on any activity, hell your raft by the borders isn't safe, underwater is a joke

I hope this clears things up, remember this is just my opinion, i ask only to look at things from both the attackers and defenders pov

Much better and more planned out. Thanks.

I agree with you. I dont play pvp, either but I can see how this is a pain. I remember watching a video shortly after the para came out with new abilities of this guy flying around on a pvp server with an argy, para and a pike. He got loads of stuff from buried reapers.

I miss the old days of pvp. I did play way back when (alpha) but shortly moved to pve thereafter 

This is the same tiresome excuse used to slow down flyers and other so called 'exploity' behavior due to people exploiting their Brain Mk1 and using game assets in new and unusual ways that are not cheating by people with less imagination. Stop letting people fly around with these dinos yourself and play the game as intended, stop expecting the developers to hold your hand and do it for you. It just ruins the game for the majority of players that aren't complaining when they nerf the hell out of the game.

3 hours ago, Probitas said:

This is the same tiresome excuse used to slow down flyers and other so called 'exploity' behavior due to people exploiting their Brain Mk1 and using game assets in new and unusual ways that are not cheating by people with less imagination. Stop letting people fly around with these dinos yourself and play the game as intended, stop expecting the developers to hold your hand and do it for you. It just ruins the game for the majority of players that aren't complaining when they nerf the hell out of the game.

I can see where you are coming with this. And as much as I do hate the idea of air born para radar it is a game mechanic with some counter play. BUUUUT, graphics ini mods are a different story.  It is an activity that WC and the community has put up with for reasons I can't fathom considering the damage it does to the new player influx. And what's sad is they have no idea about. They legit think they built a small 1x1 that cant be seen having no idea that its like a visible from orbit with ini mods.

If anything, one of the biggest reasons how you know its complete BS is when the hardcore SotF players run tournaments any proof of use of INI modification is an instaban. 

19 hours ago, d1nk said:

Much better and more planned out. Thanks.

I agree with you. I dont play pvp, either but I can see how this is a pain. I remember watching a video shortly after the para came out with new abilities of this guy flying around on a pvp server with an argy, para and a pike. He got loads of stuff from buried reapers.

I miss the old days of pvp. I did play way back when (alpha) but shortly moved to pve thereafter 

Thank you for bring this up tho, I'll be sure to do better!!!

Just in my opinion you should not have a flyer going around with a radar dino as it makes stealth not just for players useless but dinos as well

Say what you want "just thinking outside the box" but if this is true how the hell do c4 get auto boom even in cover? Let alone it being illegal to box a racer to make it as bulletproof as possible 

It would seem the devs mainly have their  Allusion of whats fair, back in my days people drop dodo bombs onto bases, people do racer bombs to drop op towers

Again there is no counter to someone who is flying around with radar, the whole point of stealth is to not be seen in the Frist place

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, johnm81 said:

I can see where you are coming with this. And as much as I do hate the idea of air born para radar it is a game mechanic with some counter play. BUUUUT, graphics ini mods are a different story.  It is an activity that WC and the community has put up with for reasons I can't fathom considering the damage it does to the new player influx. And what's sad is they have no idea about. They legit think they built a small 1x1 that cant be seen having no idea that its like a visible from orbit with ini mods.

If anything, one of the biggest reasons how you know its complete BS is when the hardcore SotF players run tournaments any proof of use of INI modification is an instaban. 

I'm late to the party a bit...  but I'm trying to think of a way they could combat it.  Maybe have it read only?  Or in a different format?  Or in a different hidden location?  I initially thought have a script replace the .ini upon loading a server, but that would mess up everyone's graphics settings.  I mean like, it would reset it to some standard that might run horribly or the like.  Or an .ini scrubber that would read through the .ini and replace out-of-bounds values from what the game is "supposed" to be set at, determined by the onboard hardware?  But every one of those have either drawbacks or would be a matter of time before a circumvention method was discovered.

I for one wish they would add More dinos like thos. Especially under water dinos. For pvp its the only way to find griefers , raiders, skyboxed quetz , rafts glitched into rocks and  buried dinos .

If you have a permanent home on a pvp server the more ways to find other tribes and dinos the better . 

You still have to go out. look and expend the effort to find the hidden bases and dinos. 

For those of us in major tribes that don't cheat with ini files its our only way to secure our server.

On 12/7/2020 at 1:44 PM, Zarn said:

I for one wish they would add More dinos like thos. Especially under water dinos. For pvp its the only way to find griefers , raiders, skyboxed quetz , rafts glitched into rocks and  buried dinos .

If you have a permanent home on a pvp server the more ways to find other tribes and dinos the better . 

You still have to go out. look and expend the effort to find the hidden bases and dinos. 

For those of us in major tribes that don't cheat with ini files its our only way to secure our server.

And to that i say still, ironically doing the smart thing in most cases makes wild card so made that it makes EA gasp

They wana tell you as the player how to pvp, whats that you wana block aberration nodes off to stop trolls? Screw you, suck it and up and deal with it

Wana c4 suicide bomb with your dino to make Japan proud of you? Screw you, c4 auto blows up for no reason 

And the last, making a racer "bulletproof " is also against tos, at this point what even is balance in this game? Solo is impossible to survive and good luck finding a good tribe, trust in ark is like real life

Wild card doesn't seem to understand that, as long as they make money and only fixing bugs when we complain enough and that's a MAYBE, they will so whatever they please 

Have they fix server lag, cheaters, dc for no reason? Thought so

Archived