if i make my own unofficial server will i be able to transfer to other

ItWasntMe

5 hours ago, ItWasntMe said:

so i take it i would have to rent a different server for each map then ?

Not necessarily, even if you only run one server at a time you can configure each server to be in a cluster and then stop/start the servers so that you're only running one at a time. This would allow you to upload items and dinos to the obelisk on one map, upload your character like you're doing a character transfer, and then when you switch to a different map you can download your character to the new map and then pull things out of the obelisk.

I know it sounds funny to have a "cluster" of servers when you're only running one server at a time, but it works just fine.

The configs for your servers would look something like this (my server is Linux, obviously the path will look different on a Windows server):

1) The Island
ExecStart=/PathToYourSteamDirectory/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheIsland?listen?SessionName=YourIslandName?ServerPassword=YourServerPassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=IslandDirectory -clusterid=YourClusterName

2) The Center
ExecStart=/PathToYourSteamDirectory/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer TheCenter?listen?SessionName=YourCenterName?ServerPassword=YourServerPassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=CenterDirectory -clusterid=YourClusterName

3) Scorched Earch
ExecStart=/PathToYourSteamDirectory/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Binaries/Linux/ShooterGameServer Ragnarok?listen?SessionName=YourRagnarokName?ServerPassword=YourServerPassword?AltSaveDirectoryName=RagnarokDirectory -clusterid=YourClusterName

Obviously you will have more elements in your config files, I'm just showing the most important elements in order to make things more obvious. Notice the two arguments at the end of each config, "?AltSaveDirectoryName=" and "-clusterid="

When you move your server(s) into a cluster you no longer have a single save directory, instead you want to create a different save directory for each server and you need to create a save directory for the cluster (this is where the Obelisks have their files so the game knows what's been uploaded into the Obelisk storage).

Your save directories will all go under the same path where your current save directory is located, with the addition that the save directory for the cluster will be a little bit longer than the save directory for each server.

4) Directories for saves
/PathToYourSteamDirectory/steam/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved
/PathToYourSteamDirectory/steam/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/clusters/YourClusterName
/PathToYourSteamDirectory/steam/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/IslandDirectory
/PathToYourSteamDirectory/steam/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/CenterDirectory
/PathToYourSteamDirectory/steam/Steam/arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/RagnarokDirectory

Now, since you're a single player on your own dedicated server, technically you don't need to create a separate directory for each map, you could just add the new directory for the cluster and then all of your maps will share the ../Saved directory. But I think that's asking for trouble since all of your save files like "TheIsland.ark", "TheCenter.ark", "Ragnarok.ark", and your character file 99999999999999999.arkprofile, and your tribe file 9999999999.arktribe, and all of the backup copies of all of these files would be sharing the same directory which, I can tell you from personal experience, makes troubleshooting a bit confusing and difficult to have all of that junk in the same directory. I like having a separate directory for each map so I know exactly which files go to that map without any risk of making a mistake.

Also, since we all know that sometimes the game gets weird when people upload & download characters, make sure you keep a backup copy of your character file somewhere just in case ARK decides to eat your character. Or, if you want to get a little more fancy, you can copy your character file into all of the server directories so that you never have to transfer your character from server to server.

What we did on my "cluster" was we started out by playing The Island, leveled up, built up, did the taming, did the caves, did the bosses and then when we were done with The Island we uploaded everything that we wanted to take with us into the Obelisk storage. Then I shut down The Island and started The Center. We repeated the same process on The Center, uploaded when we were done, then stopped The Center, started Scorched Earth and we repeated the process again.

Having said that, if you want to be able to move back and forth from server-to-server this still works, just upload, shut down the server you're leaving, start up the server you're going to, then download to the new server. Obviously there's some time you will spend every time you shut down and start up servers, but this would allow you to play on multiple maps while still only renting one server for your game. You could have 9 config files, 9 save directories plus your cluster directory, and by stopping & starting servers whenever you want to you could move back & forth between every map in the game, all while renting only a single server.

6 hours ago, ArkRage said:

I could have sworn if said unofficial server has downloads/transfers open, you can transfer, but I honestly have no idea how it works. Maybe I dreamt it. 🤔

Side note, wouldn't that be amazing though? If you could transfer things from your server to another person's server? Just like how official works, but unofficial. I'd leave official forever if I could do that xD I'd run my own server, and just join other people's for trades 😊 Ahhh, the ark dream. (Imo ofc)

But the problem with that is, everyone's servers are configured differently. Maybe the guy spawned a bunch of stuff in to get the best stats, colouration etc. How do you know ? How do you trade? 

I know it was hypothetical but just trying to shed some light on your dream (not trying to crush it!)

Archived