How many wolves to kill a Giga?

vanyelxp5

10 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Keeping 40 wolves from tangling up and getting stuck on eachother is difficult in the best circumstances. That's why I've organized them in follow lines. The only way I can think of to properly pull it off with a "kill pen" would be to have something outside of it on passive that each leader could be following, but then the predators might lock onto those instead of the wolves, So it wouldn't be as effective.

thought that does give me an idea... I could build a stone cage in the middle of my hunting area, drop my raptor in the center on passive with each lead wolf following... and then set the wolves on aggressive.

As said before, I'm not using a Daeodon. They don't fit my theme, or the challenge.

You might have to lead them to the kill pen in groups of 5, but once you lead them into the pen then following no longer matters, and getting tangled up is a moot point.

You build it 4x5 or 5x5 or 6x6, whatever is needed to hold that many wolves. Build it 4 walls high so that rexes can't get out and can't damage anything inside, then you build ramps on as many sides as you're comfortable with and start kiting hostiles into the pen.

Something like this... except somewhere in the walls you add a dino gate for when you're done and want to lead them out of the pen.

Killing Pen.JPG

17 hours ago, Pipinghot said:

Since every wolf will get Tribe XP from every kill it would be more efficient to have all 40 wolves present for every kill, rather than leading them around the map in packs.

Build a "killing pen" in a location where lots hostiles spawn (if you're on The Island then I'd build it on Carno Island, for example) and then use an argy to carry or lead tons of hostiles into your killing pen. If you feed them a constant stream of rexes, carno's and other predators they'll all level up much faster than taking them out in packs.

Just make sure that you design the entry ramp to your killing pen so that you can close it off quickly and easily while you check your wolves for health and to force feed meat to them for healing if necessary. Or even better just put a daedon in there too for healing. That way the only work you have to do is keep putting meat on the daeodon and making it's food is full. This will have the added benefit of leveling up your daeodon at the same time.

Don't want to break apart the post but don't they only get shared tribe exp while being ridden by the person NOT gaining the exp? (For example- we level tames by one person riding one the other hatching and killing babies) or same concept but with ..crafting paste or narcs etc

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Don't want to break apart the post but don't they only get shared tribe exp while being ridden by the person NOT gaining the exp? (For example- we level tames by one person riding one the other hatching and killing babies) or same concept but with ..crafting paste or narcs etc

Hmmm, you make a good point. Now I'm doubting myself on how much shared XP (if any) the whole pack will get. I used to have a page bookmarked that explained all of the possible scenarios and permutations of Shared XP but now I can't find it.

@vanyelxp5 I might be thinking of Shared XP the wrong way, this might not have the benefit I was thinking it would. I'll try to make some time to do a couple of tests and see what results I get (unless someone else posts a definitive answer here first).

2 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Hmmm, you make a good point. Now I'm doubting myself on how much shared XP (if any) the whole pack will get. I used to have a page bookmarked that explained all of the possible scenarios and permutations of Shared XP but now I can't find it.

@vanyelxp5 I might be thinking of Shared XP the wrong way, this might not have the benefit I was thinking it would. I'll try to make some time to do a couple of tests and see what results I get (unless someone else posts a definitive answer here first).

I found a few links though nothing "proven" by ark devs or anything 

I've had the pack running around my hunting grounds for a couple of days. Some have hit the 6k health and 500 melee I'm shooting for for this test, some have not. Due to uncooperative AI, the process of kiting things to them was not a success.

On a related note. I've found that I CAN fit them all on my quetz saddle, but, it's too much weight for it to carry right now. So I'm going to take it around another area and murder some stuff to bump that up.

@vanyelxp5

If you have the patience you can easily almost max them each in the swamp cave. Bring em in packs of 3 or 4 and alternate which wolf you ride / kill most small bugs with in each room. There's like 5 or 6 big bug pulls that'll level up em quick. Make use of whistle here and make wolves go ahead of you to attract arthos 

On 11/22/2020 at 5:25 AM, vanyelxp5 said:

So, this question is as much a goal, as it is a general curiosity. How many Direwolves do you think it would take to kill a giga?

I've been breeding them awhile, almost 3k base health, 312 base melee.

I recently took a large pack I was culling from the breeding program to the highlands (23 wolves, leveled to 5k+ health, and 500+ melee.) 9 of them got stuck somewhere and I haven't been able to find them. The remaining 14 fought a 140 giga. Obviously, they lost. But, they did manage to bloody it. I believe it was only first stage bloody, so halfish health, but the fact that they got it that low, and that they're not even the best I can do... I'm wondering if the full 23 would have done it, or if I'd need more. I'm sure I'd need more health on them to be able to do it without losses.

I was inspired to try to make a pack capable of this by a video I saw where somebody did the 3 boss arena fight with them. I figure, a pack that could take a giga could probably take the bosses.

the problem here isn't so much the power and health as it is the "knock back" effect......wolves run up to giga, giga takes a bite before the wolves get to giga, wolves fly backwards without actually getting to hit the giga......due to the knock back effect, I would say that trying to take down a giga would be an uphill fight. You might get lucky, but then again your more than likely going to have bad luck in your endeavors.
As for a boss fight, probably the same problem. The spider would be do able, the monkey is probably just a different version of a giga fight, and the dragon is absolutely suicide.....Id say 200 wolves to start with on the giga and spider, but 500-1000 for dragon.

6 minutes ago, wizard03 said:

the problem here isn't so much the power and health as it is the "knock back" effect......wolves run up to giga, giga takes a bite before the wolves get to giga, wolves fly backwards without actually getting to hit the giga......due to the knock back effect, I would say that trying to take down a giga would be an uphill fight. You might get lucky, but then again your more than likely going to have bad luck in your endeavors.
As for a boss fight, probably the same problem. The spider would be do able, the monkey is probably just a different version of a giga fight, and the dragon is absolutely suicide.....Id say 200 wolves to start with on the giga and spider, but 500-1000 for dragon.

They didn't have much trouble with knockback in the previous test.

I feel like your statement here is ignoring what was already done previously with fewer, and weaker wolves.

First I would like to note that the majority of the "THIS Dino can beat the BOSSES!!" videos on youtube are done in singleplayer, which makes them significantly easier.

Gigas don't have the same nerf in sp (to my knowledge) and will absolutely crush multitudes of unbred wolves.

However, full imprint bred wolves should absolutely be able to take on a lower level giga in a group of ~25, especially with rifle support.

I'd still at least bring a mammoth to put a debuff on the giga, and make sure I'm fighting on flat space. A key aspect of the fight will be taking advantage of when the giga is running due to low health, you need to bring all of your units and also mount your best imprinted wolf for when that comes. 

There is no way it'll take 100 bred wolves to kill a giga, nor will it take that many for most of the boss difficulties.

A death pit would make it so you'd only need ~15 max with your current wolves. (Assuming lower level giga)

Lost one of the pack due to it deciding to run all the way to the beach and pick a fight with 3 super turkeys. It died before I could run over on my theri and even start biting them.

Fortunately I have more to replace it with, so it's not a major setback. It is however, annoying.

I should be ready to make an attempt on the Giga test by next weekend if the levels continue to go up as they have been. If this one is unsuccessful, I'll switch to single player and speed things up that way. I suspect that I'll need to find a low level one to have a shot with the current stat numbers, but we'll see what happens!

Prior to the end of the event, two more wolves were lost to turkeys, but the remaining 37 wolves fought valiantly this day. And though 21 of their number did not survive, the pack remains strong and has emerged victorious!

Level 50 giga vs 37 direwolves. I did record the battle, and I will be uploading it as soon as I am able. It was a little wonky, with some of the wolves having a hard time getting in to the fight due to pathing, but even with that, we won!

6 minutes ago, 2OLEgend said:

Looks like the giga drowned.

One of the wolves got the killing blow, I just wasn't close enough to see which one as a popup. She picked up the heart, and 4 levels in the process. As shown in the video.

Also it wasn't swimming anywhere near long enough to run out of oxygen.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:53 PM, d1nk said:

This is correct, I used to take a train of rexes out meat running trying to level them up until I realized that the ones I wasnt riding werent getting any experience unless they got the killing blow.

Archived