How many wolves to kill a Giga?

vanyelxp5

So, this question is as much a goal, as it is a general curiosity. How many Direwolves do you think it would take to kill a giga?

I've been breeding them awhile, almost 3k base health, 312 base melee.

I recently took a large pack I was culling from the breeding program to the highlands (23 wolves, leveled to 5k+ health, and 500+ melee.) 9 of them got stuck somewhere and I haven't been able to find them. The remaining 14 fought a 140 giga. Obviously, they lost. But, they did manage to bloody it. I believe it was only first stage bloody, so halfish health, but the fact that they got it that low, and that they're not even the best I can do... I'm wondering if the full 23 would have done it, or if I'd need more. I'm sure I'd need more health on them to be able to do it without losses.

I was inspired to try to make a pack capable of this by a video I saw where somebody did the 3 boss arena fight with them. I figure, a pack that could take a giga could probably take the bosses.

13 minutes ago, Elgar said:

Chaser the Tiny Hippo tested Direwolves for his Boss experiment (he tests every species of dinos for "science") and they were slaughtered, unfortunately.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/3949028823320384108/#c3949028823320969994

The video you saw, was it a modded game or on official server ?

Valguero, gamma difficulty, unnoficial server I think. His wolves had better stats than the ones Chaser mentioned.

10 hours ago, vanyelxp5 said:

I was inspired to try to make a pack capable of this by a video I saw where somebody did the 3 boss arena fight with them. I figure, a pack that could take a giga could probably take the bosses.

I'm not sure how many wolves it would take, but I'd also breed an expendable Daeodon to send into the attack with the wolves, just like doing a boss fight.

I appreciate the suggestions, but Daedons and yutys don't fit what I do.

Anyone can breed a big bad dino like a giga or a rex to do the job. I want to do it with something smaller. It's more of a challenge, and more fun.

That's why I've been limiting myself to herbivores, and things that get a pack bonus.

I could use Allos of course, get a good saddle BP and go to town... but other than finding good ones to breed, that feels too easy too. I like the wolves. So that's what I wanna use.

1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

with the low hp pool and the bleed from the giga, I'd imagine you'd need enough to attack and kill it right after the first bite kills the first wave of them.  100 maybe?

Considering that less than 20 managed to bring the 140 giga to around half, I think I'm already on the right track. will just need more health and melee.

8 hours ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

On that note you might as well add a yuty. 

Sure, if you want to ride into battle against a giga for the added excitement. Heck equip a lance while you're doing it so you can play "St. George vs. the Dragon" in your mind.

But with my suggestion you just whistle a bunch of animals in an watch them fight, you can do that while staying 100% safe.

What the OP is trying to do is breed a pack of wolves that can kill a giga without taking casualties, or at least that's how it looks to me. Sending a daeodon in with the wolves is a zero-risk way of making his pack more powerful. Riding a yuty isn't zero risk, which is why I didn't mention it.

1 hour ago, Pipinghot said:

Sure, if you want to ride into battle against a giga for the added excitement. Heck equip a lance while you're doing it so you can play "St. George vs. the Dragon" in your mind.

But with my suggestion you just whistle a bunch of animals in an watch them fight, you can do that while staying 100% safe.

What the OP is trying to do is breed a pack of wolves that can kill a giga without taking casualties, or at least that's how it looks to me. Sending a daeodon in with the wolves is a zero-risk way of making his pack more powerful. Riding a yuty isn't zero risk, which is why I didn't mention it.

That's pretty much what I want. Though I'd like to avoid having to break my theme to do it.

Back on Legacy, I had a bronto that could take gigas if I was riding her. So I know that can be done. But that's a LOT of kibble to rebuild that line, if I even got that lucky again.

Also I like Wolves better than Brontos, so... Yea, that's what I want to make able to kill Gigas.

15 minutes ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Stuff like this makes the game so much more fun than just kill grind die respawn do it again.

Bravo for the creativity and dedication to breeding your wolves. I vote you use nothing but wolves. Adding Yutys and pigs kinda defeats the whole purpose. 

Would make an interesting video

Hmm... I do have OBS... Haven't done much with it. I guess I could record when I take another pack over to try again. Would be good to show people the results instead of just talking about them.

I like this, I'm a big fan of pack dinos. I think you should concentrate on the wolves and try to keep it pure without other tames mixed in 

The main issue is the relatively low health pool of things like wolves and hyaenodons so one good bite from the giga might wipe out the whole lot on one hit.

Might be better to and split them and hold some back for a second wave after the initial attack has dropped the giga's health

Hope to hear how you get on with this. Good luck

On 11/24/2020 at 6:44 AM, RageQuitter said:

Reminds me of the thread on here where someone took an army of dilos to fight a giga, even had an airborne division dropped in by quetz, there's a video posted somewhere so I'll see if I can find it

Edit: found it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwxrblouixtel7m/dilolegion.mp4?dl=0

That was amazing. lol...

Prep continues. 40 wolves for the next army. Over the course of the next week, I'll be taking each of these packs, divided into groups of 5, out to lay waste to the surrounding wildlife to strengthen them for the coming battle.

Transport may be difficult, as they will not all fit on a Quetz platform, and I am a solo player.

Current ideas:
1: Place the lead wolf from each pack on the back of a quetz platform on passive, while the rest are on follow in their respective lines on aggressive to kill anything that gets in the way.

2: Build a bronto "raft" and load them all on that, on passive so that when a shark attacks the bronto they don't all jump into the water.

Wolf army.jpg

42 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Prep continues. 40 wolves for the next army. Over the course of the next week, I'll be taking each of these packs, divided into groups of 5, out to lay waste to the surrounding wildlife to strengthen them for the coming battle.

Transport may be difficult, as they will not all fit on a Quetz platform, and I am a solo player.

Current ideas:
1: Place the lead wolf from each pack on the back of a quetz platform on passive, while the rest are on follow in their respective lines on aggressive to kill anything that gets in the way.

2: Build a bronto "raft" and load them all on that, on passive so that when a shark attacks the bronto they don't all jump into the water.

Wolf army.jpg

Get Dino Storage v2

Basically better cryopods, super easy to transport dinos in large numbers.

48 minutes ago, vanyelxp5 said:

Current ideas:

Since every wolf will get Tribe XP from every kill it would be more efficient to have all 40 wolves present for every kill, rather than leading them around the map in packs.

Build a "killing pen" in a location where lots hostiles spawn (if you're on The Island then I'd build it on Carno Island, for example) and then use an argy to carry or lead tons of hostiles into your killing pen. If you feed them a constant stream of rexes, carno's and other predators they'll all level up much faster than taking them out in packs.

Just make sure that you design the entry ramp to your killing pen so that you can close it off quickly and easily while you check your wolves for health and to force feed meat to them for healing if necessary. Or even better just put a daedon in there too for healing. That way the only work you have to do is keep putting meat on the daeodon and making it's food is full. This will have the added benefit of leveling up your daeodon at the same time.

30 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

Since every wolf will get Tribe XP from every kill it would be more efficient to have all 40 wolves present for every kill, rather than leading them around the map in packs.

Build a "killing pen" in a location where lots hostiles spawn (if you're on The Island then I'd build it on Carno Island, for example) and then use an argy to carry or lead tons of hostiles into your killing pen. If you feed them a constant stream of rexes, carno's and other predators they'll all level up much faster than taking them out in packs.

Just make sure that you design the entry ramp to your killing pen so that you can close it off quickly and easily while you check your wolves for health and to force feed meat to them for healing if necessary. Or even better just put a daedon in there too for healing. That way the only work you have to do is keep putting meat on the daeodon and making it's food is full. This will have the added benefit of leveling up your daeodon at the same time.

Keeping 40 wolves from tangling up and getting stuck on eachother is difficult in the best circumstances. That's why I've organized them in follow lines. The only way I can think of to properly pull it off with a "kill pen" would be to have something outside of it on passive that each leader could be following, but then the predators might lock onto those instead of the wolves, So it wouldn't be as effective.

thought that does give me an idea... I could build a stone cage in the middle of my hunting area, drop my raptor in the center on passive with each lead wolf following... and then set the wolves on aggressive.

As said before, I'm not using a Daeodon. They don't fit my theme, or the challenge.

Archived