Dear PvE players, do you actually notice what you are doing with the ARK´s

1zzy

actually I only play Pvp but since my son got a new computer and treated himself to AKR I started on a Pve server. It's strange how the ARK's are littered. The performance of the server is so castrated that there are disconnections ... I'm not even talking about lags anymore. And that through the whole Ark landscape over all possible servers. Build even more and put more dinosaurs in your bases that you can no longer play. PvE servers should be wiped. At PvP, at least on most of the arks, that works by itself.

Wildcard ...sorry but a lot of the officel PvE server are not playaible.

The only people who think pve servers need wiping is new players and pvp players. What is forgotten is that in pve, players will have much larger collections and bases, event dinos, heavy mutations and look how people react after missing a imprint on something during a server crash. If servers was to wipe i can say that 90%+ of the community would be gone.

That said, i can agree that pillar spam and oversized bases are a problem, some maps you can fly across and get disconnected just flying over a large base, especially when multiple tribes 'merge' and takes minutes to render in.

3 hours ago, Yggdrassil said:

The only people who think pve servers need wiping is new players and pvp players. What is forgotten is that in pve, players will have much larger collections and bases, event dinos, heavy mutations and look how people react after missing a imprint on something during a server crash. If servers was to wipe i can say that 90%+ of the community would be gone.

That said, i can agree that pillar spam and oversized bases are a problem, some maps you can fly across and get disconnected just flying over a large base, especially when multiple tribes 'merge' and takes minutes to render in.

ive played pve official 9 months they should be wiped every year or release new serves

i think the mean problem of lag and pillaring came from 4 sources

source 1: despite written in code of conduct, Ark enforcers seems to allow RMT (real money trading)
RMT drives many players to pillar massive amount land and build huge empty bases, just to sell them later for real life currencies. it also drive them to produce massive dust/ breeding structures and creature arrays, and some time even exploiting and hacking. all off which creates lag and takes up land. Despite the fact that CoC indicated that:"> Real-Money Trading (RMT) - ARK items, creatures, or services must only be exchanged for other items, creatures, or services within the game. Trading for real-world currency (real money) is not an accepted form of trading.", a cross comparison  between report tickets we can find and ark official network ban list have confirmed that no player reported to be performing RMT has ever been banned, it doesnt matter whether the RMT is performed via in game chat or external websites, or whether the proof is provided as video or screenshots
other players are also indirectly affected by RMT. for example, RMT drives griefers to lure corrupted creatures, destroy bases and steal items in PvE. as a result extinction players have to build defenses with structure and creatures

source 2: cryopods are functionally imperfect
in https://ark.gamepedia.com/Cryofridge , there is this line: "Cryopodded Dinos in the Cryofridge die if the Cryofridge hasn't been accessed for over 30 days and isn't powered, regardless of the charge level of the cryopods." I dont know if it is true, but this may be a reason why some players prefer not to rely on cryopods too much
it is also sometime hard to cryo and uncryo creatures (cryoing can fail and there may not be enough time for uncryoing). using crypods take time for both cryoing and uncryoing, plus it does not save creature status (following distance and mating). It is also very hard to predict precisely where the uncryoed creatures are going to spawn thus some players may want to keep creature out for breeding purposes
cryopods does not remember owner and can be stolen, thus some players may want to keep creature out for security purposes, especially on extinction where  RMT drives griefers to lure corrupted creatures, destroy bases and steal items in PvE.

source 3: character loss, server instability, and tribe system
seemingly unrelated, character loss forces players to build multiple bases and create multiple characters..... if they dont want to lose everything if their character is lost
server instability can cause total destruction of an army if a server crashed, or if a player is kicked during boss fights or OSDs, forcing players to have a massive breeding facility to replenish these losses
also seemingly unrelated, the tribe system can not prevent betrayal or minimize damage when betrayal happens. It does not even provides a way to keep the traitors accountable. thus many players prefer to play solo in tribe and this multiplies the number of bases

source 4: resource spawn protection
in every server, there is a mountain with the richest metal, a swamp with the most meat....... (so on and forth). These are probably either built upon or pillared to stop anyone from building upon it 

there are many solutions and ark developers have made many attempts, but so far? non of these solutions have been effective against these 4 problems. 
Wiping will probably do nothing, unless wiping drove more than 3 quarter of the players away

5 hours ago, Duffmek said:

one way to reduce the spam of 500 dinos in huge base was i assume cryopods however the squares dont care about the servers they 'park' on so will not / wont pod things leaving the rest of us to suffer.

This is essentially the exact same goddamn thing that many of us said as cryopods were on deck for release, and everyone was talking about how they would be the savior of Official.  But lookie here:  Years later, it still isn't fixed.  Even with no cryo-cooldown, people still would rather have their stuff out in their base.  I can't blame them, because it IS all about the tames, but cryopods didn't fix the lag, or tamecaps, at least not like many people advertised they would.

7 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

This is essentially the exact same goddamn thing that many of us said as cryopods were on deck for release, and everyone was talking about how they would be the savior of Official.  But lookie here:  Years later, it still isn't fixed.  Even with no cryo-cooldown, people still would rather have their stuff out in their base.  I can't blame them, because it IS all about the tames, but cryopods didn't fix the lag, or tamecaps, at least not like many people advertised they would.

I haven't been on a tame capped server since cryopods. You can't fix trolls, you can just find a server that doesn't have enough of them to cap a server. Cryopods have absolutely fixed dino lag monsters (along with taxidermy stands) and tame cap.

my jurney with ark started in pvp, played there about a month, in first day playing, other players infected my with swapm fiver. after week, when i was about 50lvl, some 140 lvl players, come and detroyed my base, and everything else i have. so if u dont want to play in existing tribes, and u can play only with girlfrind like me, there is no option to playing pvp. in pve there is so much fun, and good helpfull comunity. :) 

Wiping servers will serve no purpose,  other than create somewhat lag free server for a few days while players populate it with tames, pillars and massive buildings.  It really doesn't take that long these days.

Its funny when new players come on to servers and say there is no where to build because of pillars and bases, they spawned at the spawn locations and not moved more than 50 foundations away. Go a bit further and u will 100% find unclaimed land of which new players can build upon.  Personally I have never once had issues finding a building spot even on the most populated aged servers. You just gotta spend a little time and look.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:42 AM, GerBear said:

I don't know what pve servers your playing but I've never had issues and I play on multiple pve servers. If your talking about the lag and disconnects thats just ARK in general. The official pve servers can be a bit crowded but you can find land if you look hard enough.

Sorry its not Ark in general, I play on 507 and im getting kicked all the time to the point ive been looking for another pve extinction and over the weekend i tried two other extinction servers and they had usual lag but no disconnections and i asked people of said servers and they said they get none.

On 11/14/2020 at 11:49 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I haven't been on a tame capped server since cryopods. You can't fix trolls, you can just find a server that doesn't have enough of them to cap a server. Cryopods have absolutely fixed dino lag monsters (along with taxidermy stands) and tame cap.

I think it is attributed more to big tribes quitting, and to the optimization passes that have actually reduced loading and render times.  I'm not saying that it has not gotten better, the lag and tamecapping problem, I just think the other things are more close to the solution than Cryopods are.  Reason is, Cryopods are just a choice.

29 minutes ago, TheDonn said:

I think it is attributed more to big tribes quitting, and to the optimization passes that have actually reduced loading and render times.  I'm not saying that it has not gotten better, the lag and tamecapping problem, I just think the other things are more close to the solution than Cryopods are.  Reason is, Cryopods are just a choice.

Yes its a choice but a choice most "big tribes" would welcome and encourage their own members to do for the same reasons you listed.

Of course there's going to be people who don't care / don't want to out of spite but thats to be expected. I will say this: they have done a good job at optimizing the game since its inception. Even on console, original Xbox one i have **way** better load times / render times than before. Long short of it is, i agree with you but also agree that cryopods have helped tremendously as well.

Yay ark

1 hour ago, Zen00 said:

I'd support wipes if there was some way to store all your dinos/items so you could build a new base post-wipe. And if the materials that built your base were refunded during the wipe.

But that would defeat the purpose.. wipe, grab dinos / items from obelisk, rebuild now its the same but for months, rinse repeat??

I play over single player and I have reasons to not cryo up some creatures. I have light pets inside my base for lighting. Dung beetles for fertilizer. Egg farm creatures. A ravaged to jump on in case of trouble. My megalosaurus I am breeding. If they had ways for cyoed creatures to do some of these task then it might improve performance. 

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

I play over single player and I have reasons to not cryo up some creatures. I have light pets inside my base for lighting. Dung beetles for fertilizer. Egg farm creatures. A ravaged to jump on in case of trouble. My megalosaurus I am breeding. If they had ways for cyoed creatures to do some of these task then it might improve performance. 

well thats more than acceptable because we all need some dinos out for some reason .. but its the bases that have rows and rows of rexes / wyverns / drakes etc etc just sitting there that the OP is prolly on about

Ark is about the tames. If you want to progress through the game you require armies of rexes, theris, etc laying eggs. Farming eggs for kibble requires armies of tames. If you are using gachas they need an owl for pellets, so not everything can be cryopoded. If you cryopoded every thing and unpodded when required that will take up the majority of time people have to actually play. 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherBeachNoob said:

Single player or not those are all acceptable reasons to not cryo stuff 

3 hours ago, d1nk said:

But that would defeat the purpose.. wipe, grab dinos / items from obelisk, rebuild now its the same but for months, rinse repeat??

Not necessarily I've put off demolishing unused bases for months because I just didn't have the time, kept going and refreshing the bed, and eventually went and got some resources back. People with unused bases are not necessarily going to go and rebuild them. Further, if there is a fresh start with an unmolseted map for new people to get on during wipe day, the old alpha tribe isn't necessarily going to get their old base spot back due to newbs building over it.

Archived