Chainsaw vs Mining Drill

SoaringSpirit

I really feel the need to ask this, does anyone else feel the Mining Drill vastly weaker than the Chainsaw?

I recall hearing the mining drill was coming with Genesis and being eager for it, I maintained this feeling of eagerness despite hearing that it would be weaker than dino’s. Which makes sense in some ways. However, having had a good Mining Drill for a while now I cannot help but compare it to my chainsaw, which is just INFINITELY better, its light, it gathers more than the majority of wood gatherers I’ve tried to use in its place, it’s better for many other resources too such as meats, hide, pelt etc. and the blueprint doesn’t blow up after I craft one.

It doesn’t feel right when comparing the two and I just wondered what others think? I’m not saying the mining drill is useless I just don’t feel like its anywhere near as useful as a mechanical gathering tool, especially when you consider its more annoying to get a decent one. At least in my experience.

The chainsaw is meant to be more effective at resource gathering, you’ll get more resources the better your chainsaw is. The mining drill isn’t meant to gather more resources but to let you collect more resources more quickly and carry much more per trip. You may only get a fraction of the resources that a chainsaw or even a good pick/hatchet would but when you can clear an entire area in a fraction of the time you don’t need to be min-maxing your efficiency. 

Try using both in combination, chainsaw to gather and drill to reduce weight and you’ll see better results.

So what I'm getting from that is to not bother with wood gathering dino's or the mining drill? I don't play on official so resource competition isn't really a thing I have to deal with. An Argy / Boat has all the weight reduction I typiclaly need for runs. Well thats a little disappointing in my particular case.

I guess that depends on your play style if you’re playing boosted unofficials then it’s hard to give specific advice. Keep in mind if you’re using an argy you can carry significantly more wood per run with a drill since it reduces each stack to 12.5 weight compared to the argy’s 50% reduction per stack. But if you have a system that already works then I don’t really know what to tell you

Its cool, I just figured they would be in line with each other as tools given they are ssentially the same tier. No worries, I'm the type who will happily go wood farming with a wood dino cus its chill, but I also play with people who only use the most effective method available at the time, its just the fun of different playstyles

• 10 months later...

It's basically a pickaxe on break, actually like trimming tool is an ax on crack. I've without exception needed something like this as another option, so thumbs up here. The just assets I have seen it perform equivalent or better than a metal instrument (not chainsaw and in some cases not much higher than stone tools)  are reliably with expanded cover.

I've used a mining drill only briefly but the speed advantage was all it got me. Didn't like it, prefered the higher returns of a decent Anky or Argy/Doed for stone.
Was adviced to use chainsaw for bee cave, in this particulair place I realy prefered the Anky for it would not suffer the sticky honey slow down penalty and it easily killed all the angry bee's.

Tl;dr: None of them can beat a decent Anky ;)

My go-to is the usual tame, with a lift from my argy if needed, but I like that the drill lets me get to places I wouldn’t normally be able to get to, and the weight reduction is glorious. Basically I’ll use it if I’d rather have a change in scenery over maximum efficiency. Sometimes I just got to stop and smell the roses…or shoot freaking laser beams at rocks, whatever. 

2 hours ago, MMaas said:

YES!!!

Without dino's ARK is just a mobile point-click grinding game lol

Should of said I play solo I obviously tame dinos that help in pvp or raids.

First tame is a spino for me and thats easy slot cap of electronics on gen 1 then everything else pretty much on gen 2.

Gen 2 I just Tek punch until capped with Metal/Crystal/Stone/Obsidian and do loot drops at the same time for OP stuff to either keep or dismantle for more mats.

Can slot cap Wood with a Chainsaw in 2 mins on gen 2 also and use the spino to farm hex points for easy flint.

I prefer how you had to grind before aberration and future dlcs were a thing.

3 hours ago, MOD3RNS4V4G3 said:

Should of said I play solo I obviously tame dinos that help in pvp or raids.

I prefer how you had to grind before aberration and future dlcs were a thing.

Used to play solo and only end of last year I made the move to PvE.
But sofar I avoid the pay to win DLC of Genesis ;)

50 minutes ago, Doomette said:

Funny that, we’re not all at the same level of progress, almost like we haven’t all started at the same time 😜

Amen to that!

1 hour ago, MMaas said:

Used to play solo and only end of last year I made the move to PvE.
But sofar I avoid the pay to win DLC of Genesis ;)

Dlcs killed the game for me since I only ever wanted to play pvp, I wish they add a classic ark cluster to consoles but I doubt they will.

I'm optimistic about this new lost island map being more primitive themed but if its going to allow transfers from the other dlcs then its just gonna get ruined imo.

YMMV, but I consider the drill to be a must have tool for short range resource movement. Shuttling stone to the chem station or grinder is epic with the drill. Also, moving metal from storage to forge is much faster. 

It also has good use for general quick gather of most items. It is a fair swap for the pick/axe/sickle combo. If I want to spot build in stone, it is great to quickly gather and build at the same time. Depends on how rich the resource is. I do love a magmasaur for stone/wood/thatch gathering while holding a drill to transfer/build the pieces.

But I do agree it is not a replacement for target gather tames. Stryder/dedi combo is king. And really, anything that reduces weight and increases gather rate is excellent for bulk resources. 

Archived