Server works from outside LAN but LAN clients cant connect

Tumbleweed420

I am having some very strange behavior with my ARK server. I have administered many ark servers for some time now and seem to have an idea of what I am doing. however I have come across an issue I haven't been able to solve. My clans current ark server is up and running just fine and has been for some months now but whenever I try and connect from my LAN I get the dreaded "unable to query server info for invite" message. I have tried turning off the firewall on the server and client and still get this message on every LAN pc. the only way to connect from the LAN is to use a VPN and come back in from outside so to speak. Port forwarding is done correctly and I host several servers (Ark, 7D2D, TS3, TS3 Music Bot) that are all functioning properly minus the ark server not allowing LAN connection for some reason. has anyone got a solution for me? i am able to play with my VPN enabled and get pings around 20ms so its playable. just annoying for a server admin lol What other info is needed? lmk!

Ark servers are a pain in the rear end for this. You do effectively have to go out and back in again, but most decent routers have a NAT loopback function that achieves this for you. Assuming your router does have NAT loopback (also known as hairpinning), enable it if you don't already have it enabled (if it's even configurable) and make sure you are connecting via the Steam server list rather than to an internal IP no.

Are you able to connect with your LAN IP? It sounds like you might have a loopback issue, if you can join using your LAN IP and then discover you can't transfer servers then you for sure have a loopback issue since the transfer function utilizes the WAN IP. If that is the case you might  be able to find custom firmware for your router that does support loopback, otherwise you are left with using the VPN or replacing the router. One question though is this the only router in the system or do you have an ISP router upstream as well?

What are you using for the query ports on your servers? Steam or Ark will only let you use a specific range, and outside that it won't appear as a LAN server. I think 27020 or higher causes trouble, but I haven't done any testing beyond what I needed to get mine to show up.

The multihome setting didn't make any difference for me, and if I remember right it broke server transfers.

Archived