Best Ways to Farm Obsidian

JuicyPineappl3

I have just recently started playing ark again and I am having trouble getting large amounts of obsidian to make polymer. I have an ankylo and an argentavis but I currently cannot get any big flyers like a quetzal. Does anyone know any ways to farm large amounts of obsidian? It would be preferred if it sticks mostly to the island as I spend most time there.

43 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Check how much a Doed gets, I noticed they get substantial metal from obsidian deposits, like 3-5x as much as Anky. And that's at much lower melee levels.

i'll have to give my doedic a try then :)

44 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Check how much a Doed gets, I noticed they get substantial metal from obsidian deposits, like 3-5x as much as Anky. And that's at much lower melee levels.

idk, its been working for me, built 3 replicators using anky for obsidian for my maps.  Gonna try the doedic and see if I get better, both anky and doedic have pretty equal stats for weight / melee

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2020 at 1:58 PM, caleb68 said:

i'll have to give my doedic a try then :)

idk, its been working for me, built 3 replicators using anky for obsidian for my maps.  Gonna try the doedic and see if I get better, both anky and doedic have pretty equal stats for weight / melee

Hm, I'm at 1x (now 0.5) rates in that video above so perhaps you have boosted rates? My Anky is getting double digits obsidian per obsidian node; and not high double digits. That's with 500% melee or so but no imprint or mate boost I think. Wonder if location matters.

58 minutes ago, Deadman said:

You already have the stuff for the best way to get obisidian. Argy is better than Quetz to me since it gets the weight reduction for a lot of the mining resources including obsidian. Just pick up your anky and fly around and harvest with it, anky will auto harvest when its next to a node.

Pretty sure Anky doesn't auto harvest? That's why we need single players need mods to replicate the Argy Anky combo without all the tedious dismounting remounting etc

are you playing solo, or on official or unofficial servers? as far as early game without access to magmasaurs anky/argy is king. if you have a friend playing with you have them hop on the anky then you fly over with the argy and pick the anky up have your friend swinging away while you fly around hovering over the obsidian since ankies dont autoharvest like doeds(this also bypasses the anky's weight limit and shifts it to the argent's weight limit) if solo just drop the anky up top of frozen tooth(if on the island) and put the argy on follow fill up empty into the argy rinse repeat.

2 hours ago, Muucow said:

are you playing solo, or on official or unofficial servers? as far as early game without access to magmasaurs anky/argy is king. if you have a friend playing with you have them hop on the anky then you fly over with the argy and pick the anky up have your friend swinging away while you fly around hovering over the obsidian since ankies dont autoharvest like doeds(this also bypasses the anky's weight limit and shifts it to the argent's weight limit) if solo just drop the anky up top of frozen tooth(if on the island) and put the argy on follow fill up empty into the argy rinse repeat.

I have never tried the auto harvest method with Doedi hanging from an Argy. Does the Doedi have to be on a specific "attack target" or " wandering enabled " anything like that for it to auto harvest or does it not matter ?

3 hours ago, Wikus said:

I have never tried the auto harvest method with Doedi hanging from an Argy. Does the Doedi have to be on a specific "attack target" or " wandering enabled " anything like that for it to auto harvest or does it not matter ?

it just needs to be on wander then pick it up.

thing to note is the doed will stop swinging when it's weght cap is reached without someone riding it.

8 hours ago, Wikus said:

5 hours ago, Muucow said:

it just needs to be on wander then pick it up.

thing to note is the doed will stop swinging when it's weght cap is reached without someone riding it.

It does not need to be on wander. I use it often as a solo. You just need to pick it up and get near nodes. It only harvests 50% of its weight (iirc might be 75%) 

Edit: got a metal node / cluster of rocks inside / near base? Park a doed near it, go raise for a few hours. Come back and it'll auto harvest that one node(s) every time it respawns. Can also use a leash and wander but don't need to.

Archived