Anyone else feeling this way lol?

Laveyan

Pretty much everyday now I want to play Ark but I realize that it's currently not worth playing. I think of doing singleplayer but I've already reset/deleted all my progress on singleplayer at least 3 times now just because singleplayer gets boring so fast without anybody to play with and starting over from the beginning is often fun for me. I finally get to try out the metal ocean platform and I place it on the ocean then I realize why do I even want to build this, it has no practical use for me so I leave it there as just a platform. I think of taming a plesiosaur and a mosasaur as I once had both tamed on an official pve server before but then I think what would I even use them for in singleplayer, absolutely nothing. I tame myself a high lvl dolphin to have a water tame to collect deep sea loot crates but yet again I realize why do I even need that high lvl loot for, as I have no interest in caving or fighting the boss monsters so I don't actually need high quality gear just to fight the average dino on the island map. I tame myself a high lvl rex and I can kill every dino on the map except for a giga, a titan, or a higher lvl alpha rex so therefore breeding is useless since I don't really need the extra powerful dinos. There's so little purpose to singleplayer even when I alter the settings to something more favorable.

I use to play on an official pve server and was a lvl 102 and had everything I could want except for well-bred dinos, but I chose to leave the server due to toxic players and my base and everything else is already gone, not that I would want to go back because I wouldn't. I would also never play on unofficial servers because who knows what weird modifiers and mods they have running on their servers, not to mention that when I searched up unofficial servers more than 90% of them were either empty or had only a handful of players in them, as in less than 10 people. I would never do pvp because that's not my style and I'm not interested in doing any map but the island because I know the island map well and I don't like having to learn new things, I like knowing what to do and where everything is without having to constantly google to find out. I once tried scorched earth and it was fun for a little while but I really didn't like the scarcity of water and the spot I wanted to put my base at, at the start was already taken by someone else despite it being the lowest day scorched earth server available in official pve. I also tried ragnarok on the lowest day server I could find for official pve and I searched nearly the entire northeast coastline of the map on foot trying to find a good place to lay down a starting base, but everywhere I looked it was either bad terrain or bases littered along the entire coastline, so annoying (the coastline is literally the only place I would ever place a base due to the water).

Which brings me back to the only type of Ark I would want to play, official pve on the island map on a server that is brand new. I wouldn't want to join a server where people already have everything unlocked I want to start at the same point everybody else starts at. To sound a bit self-centered, half the reason I played on that one official pve server I was on was for the base building and helping out newbies. I liked helping out newbies and even giving them free stuff that would help them in their journey, but at the same time I liked being one of the "top dogs" of that server and having my bases admired by the lower lvls as I was lucky enough to start out on that server when it was pretty new. I had three bases across the map with my main base being made completely out of metal and surrounded by metal walls, I didn't do those dumb behemoth stone gateways like most people do, I had two water pens made completely out of metal for my water tames and one of the very few people on the server lucky enough to have tamed a lvl 150 basil and probably the only one on the server to have tamed a lvl 150 mosa, and I even built a huge tower made completely out of metal in the middle of deep water that I liked to call my lighthouse at a place some of you know as Drayo's Cove(76/81 about) So it's finally come to this, me actually waiting for wildcard to wipe the beginner servers sometime in December I heard so I can start out fresh same as everybody else even at the cost of that annoying low level cap or until wildcard adds some completely new island servers to the game which is unlikely before December comes. Sorry for the long read I felt I needed to vent this, anybody else feeling like I am?

Well thanks for the suggestions anyways guys, but I'm not looking to make the game any harder with those mods and I'm not bored with Ark either, I'm just bored of the current way that I'm able to play the game. Once they add new island servers to the game(if they ever do) or wipe the beginning servers then I can get back into it.

You seem to contradict yourself there. You don't want to play on unofficial servers because theres n8t enough people, yet you say that official pve maps are littered with bases. I would find a good middle road and even consider pvp.

There are some really good and well-populated unofficial pvp servers where rates are slightly boosted to account for people having jobs/school and life in general  and a little bit of pvp (with offline protection). Having the option to attack or get attacked by other players makes the game more interesting and thrilling. Pve becomes boring quickly because you know you can just afk and no one will harm you. 

Well Jacky, that's only because the pve servers are a good ways in now, and all the good base spots are already taken. If I was to join a brand new server I wouldn't have the problem with all these bases littered about, join at the start of a server and I get the pick of pretty much any location I want. Also to answer you Baklap, bosses require decently well-bred dinos to beat, and that usually takes days just to complete the first line of breeding and that first line is usually no better than the wild tame parents that it came from, not to mention the several generations I'd have to breed to make them good enough. Even if I did do breeding, I'd have nothing else to do on Ark singleplayer which means the baby's growth and what not wouldn't increase as the game doesn't progress when I'm offline, which I would be since I have nothing to do.

Xbox official island PvE

I joined a well established server about 8 months ago, because I didn't know what I was doing, I joined the server with the most active players at that time. Obviously everywhere was taken or pillared. 

Some how I beach bobbed my from the south zone and made a thatch platform 2x1 with sleeping bag on it. 

From that starting point wedged between two larger bases on the mid west ridge between the coast and the swamp I eventually progressed to a midsize metal base. 

That base about 20 foundation by 30 is still there the bed is still on the exact orientation (although metal foundation). But I rarely use it (I should demolish really)

But my main base now is much larger (5500 build limit isn't enough) in a much better position, but I had to watch out until someone else left the server and there structures auto decayed. Now I live near two wonderful waterfalls on the west coast before the snowy area, with loads of room for my gachas, water tames, etc.

Tl;dr

Its not where you begin it's where you end up. The journey is sometimes more enjoyable than the destination.

7 hours ago, Laveyan said:

Well Jacky, that's only because the pve servers are a good ways in now, and all the good base spots are already taken. If I was to join a brand new server I wouldn't have the problem with all these bases littered about, join at the start of a server and I get the pick of pretty much any location I want. Also to answer you Baklap, bosses require decently well-bred dinos to beat, and that usually takes days just to complete the first line of breeding and that first line is usually no better than the wild tame parents that it came from, not to mention the several generations I'd have to breed to make them good enough. Even if I did do breeding, I'd have nothing else to do on Ark singleplayer which means the baby's growth and what not wouldn't increase as the game doesn't progress when I'm offline, which I would be since I have nothing to do.

You are now talking about single player so you might as well join a low population unofficial server at that point.

Ever heard about imprinting? When your first line is not better than the wild parents, you are doing something wrong.

Disclaimer: i didn't read everything you said thoroughly, so I'm responding to the jist of what I think you're saying.

I am playing on a 3x harvest 10x tame/breed rates private, unmodded cluster. The game at 1-2x and the game at 10x, are two very different games. If breeding seems cumbersome to you, just underlines how official is not for you. If playing with boosted rates feels like "cheating", then by golly, get over yourself. It's no more cheating than playing Ludo is a way of cheating at chess. Different games for different times and folks. Play the game that's right for you and get over these elitist compulsive ideas that a leisure activity is about proving that you are able. If you have them. Leisure is about enjoyment,and to the extent that it's about personal growth, that's still at your leisure. 

On the cluster I play on, which hosts all the maps except CI atm, we'll have something like maybe 30 people come through in a week. A few people have several hundred hours in the past 3 months, others are more casual, and I guess some don't stick with Ark and disappear. It never feels desolate, but I can't always find people to play with. Some guy once did a boss run for people wanting tekgrams. As far as your options with Ark, I'd say it'ss either this kind of thing, or what you described on official. Those are your two options outside single player. If you enjoy Ark, you owe it to yourself to at least try the private server route.

All that said, if you want Ark to have longevity, you can't only go around building bases that will not be used, and helping newbies. You need some goals for yourself where there is an obvious progression path that you can "track". Maybe your aversion to end game content has to do with the percieved time investment it is on official. On a 3x, 5x, 10x private server without griefing, that would be different. You could join our cluster and have Rexes and gear to take on bosses within a few months or possibly even weeks. It's easier to get a feeling of progression. I used to not care about bosses either, but that slowly changed while playing here. I now have about 2500 hours on this cluster. And 23 damage mutations on my rexes. 

9 hours ago, Laveyan said:

Bases and tribes come and go on a regular basis. You will find room on literally every server, especially considering your are kind of a solo player. It's a cop out that all good spots are taken.

Good luck on your travels.

On 11/4/2020 at 10:18 PM, Laveyan said:

Well thanks for the suggestions anyways guys, but I'm not looking to make the game any harder with those mods and I'm not bored with Ark either, I'm just bored of the current way that I'm able to play the game. Once they add new island servers to the game(if they ever do) or wipe the beginning servers then I can get back into it.

Your bored with it because your not breeding or doing bosses you want a new server why? to start at the same point as everyone else mega tribes will have tek in 3 days and good bred dinos withing 2 months so a new server will do nothing for you im affraid

i have to agree and disagree with the other posters....  after you reach a certain level in ark, you get to a point of 'whats left to do?', there is breeding but even after you've done that for a long time and got those high stat dinos you were looking for, there isn't any point to it besides mixing colors between the dinos.  Honestly, anyone who says breeding isn't boring must like watching grass grow lol ;)  i've done enough breeding to be pretty darn sure its about the most boring thing you can do in ark lol.

Every time a new map comes out our tribe starts new characters just to try to break that 'what now' feeling, letting us level our characters up 'normally' while taming, building and fighting other dinos, so that there is still 'some' thrill on it.  We've even now started playing on some unofficial servers a couple of our friends setup that get wiped every few months just to add a little twist to the game.

After 6.5k hours i can honestly say, the game does grind to a standstill, and you do get to that point of 'what to do now...'  honestly there isn't anything for me to do with my main character besides finishing leveling them to max level, but thats just grinding away killing random things and fighting bosses for xp

You could try the last remaining Cross Ark NoTek 6. No Tek means once you get going you won't be that far behind the established tribes , except for breeding.  Its PVP but an interesting challenge without Tek. Also no maps beyond aberration ( the devs hate us ).  Its not for everyone as some things are more difficult without Tek . Just don't expect any new content ( did i mention the devs hate us) .

You wouldnt like many of the suggestions I could give as you appear to just be too different in personality. Not wanting to learn something new so that rules out modded, don't like the wonder of exploring new maps so that rules out trying extinction genesis rag etc. Don't want to start on an established server because you want to be a "top dog" you don't want to run bosses or try new things. Finally you don't like PvP which in my opinion is one of the best ways to keep things fresh interesting and exciting. 

So the only advice I'm left with to give you is to either have the courage to step out of your comfort zone and try new things which you have otherwise said you don't want to do, like PvP or new maps or modded servers, who knows maybe you will surprise yourself by having some fun with it. Or give the game a break. I'd say thats pretty much what you are left with. Step out the comfort bubble or take a break.

On 11/11/2020 at 9:09 PM, Reshiram said:

Did I skip them or no one mentioned ping/freeze situation on official servers? I am a PvE guy so never experienced official PvP servers but official PvE servers I've been on were giving you cancer -.- If ping/freeze will bother you, I won't suggest official servers.

pvp is less laggy due to the fact there is not 1000 giant bases and 5k pillars

Archived