i feel bad for all bobs

xXRegalEagleXxx

5 hours ago, jedikitteh said:

See the game wasn't always like this. At present officials basically have one real tribe per server, which would be the alphas. ANd bunch of thatch or stone bobs that are irrelevant. Back in legacy there would be multiple tribes per server and local politics and conflicts was quite interesting. And it was possible for a smaller tribe to carve out their own niche. You could build hidden because INI editing was not common. Breeding was very new and no one knew how to abuse it, so the gap between alpha tribe dinos and fresh dinos was lot smaller. Any one could join a server, tame some dinos, start grinding and compete. That was the real ark experience. The official pvp population much higher back in the past. Today offlicials are basically dead, as other than handful of megatribes no one plays.

Yea, it makes total sense, and there isn't much you can do about it without destroying the progress/time investment of the major groups. The only solution is probably playing on seasonal servers that reset regularly (or a private server that does the same). That's what I do.   Unofficial, regulated servers that reset to me are the only decent way to play PVP, but mostly I do PVE and RP servers. 

The notion of giving someone a steep hill to climb for growth.... In a PC game... Is such utter baloney. 

100% any person that feels like other people need to be tested and challenged because that is what is good for them (IN A PC GAME), feels that way because they can't hack life and are utterly useless with people. It's the same as the pseudo-PvP. If you can't hack it in life, you take it out on PvP, and if you can't even hack that, you take it out on PvE. At all levels, it is ape thinking and the mentality of a real-life ass.

In the real world, for a challenge to cause any real growth, you would have to both extensively plan the execution of the challenge, as well as evalute all manner of things like whether the level of challenge is proportional to the level of skill and experience with the person being challenged. You would need to define a way to measure the result. Otherwise you are just causing annoyance and harm for no good reason.

Which is obviously the point. Hormonal, weak-minded apes. 

• 5 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:46 AM, invincibleqc said:

This is a survival game, they should know what they are getting into from the start. If anything, by killing new players, you teach them to get better.

kind of a stupid thing to say in my opinion, you don't teach someone how to get better when there unable to play the game. i'm on a server where the main tribe destroys all my stuff and kills all my dinos before i have time to get better and even if i change my location when they find me they just make me restart from 0. Your not teaching someone how to get better by not letting them play to me that just sounds like justifying raided people with loot you don't even need just to kill them

2 minutes ago, Bootytata said:

kind of a stupid thing to say in my opinion, you don't teach someone how to get better when there unable to play the game. i'm on a server where the main tribe destroys all my stuff and kills all my dinos before i have time to get better and even if i change my location when they find me they just make me restart from 0. Your not teaching someone how to get better by not letting them play to me that just sounds like justifying raided people with loot you don't even need just to kill them

If you keep doing the same thing you're not going to get better.  Hide, don't get found. That is what you are learning now.

obviously i do that, you cant hide forever eventually they find you and if i ever get to the point where i have large dinos like a bronto or a really good dino like a wyvern it isnt good enough because by then they'll probably know where my base is and i wont be able to do anything against 5+ level over 200 wyverns 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Bootytata said:

Damn, that's rough. I feel bad for you.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:46 AM, invincibleqc said:

This is a survival game, they should know what they are getting into from the start. If anything, by killing new players, you teach them to get better.

That's a valid argument for PvP, but invalid for PvE. There's no excuse for attacking or otherwise harassing beach bobs in PvE, that's just being a coward.

14 hours ago, JohnnyWaffles said:

If you keep doing the same thing you're not going to get better.  Hide, don't get found. That is what you are learning now.

It sounds kind of harsh but it's true. Took me a long time and many many wipes to refine my base hiding strategy. Each base that gets wiped teaches you something (once you stop screaming at the tv of course).

My previous base was a hidden cliff plat base in the center lava cave that lasted for over a year, a massive improvement upon my earlier iterations. 

Even that was eventually found but taught me another lesson and was up long enough for me to actually grind out boss animals and gear to finally get to tek tier.

I now have the base I've spent literally years working towards. It's really rewarding when you can put it all together and see tangible progress.

PvP is a different game. The point of PvP server is not 'PvE with an option to have fun with mutually consenting battles'... like some LARP in the Park. There are Unofficial servers that cater to that agreeable style.

Taking out Bobs in PvP seems like a no brainer. They are not part of a mythical "community of people that live on the map"... they are the designated enemy to your  game. Cleaning bobs seems to me about mitigating the ability to have too many higher levels to have to watch out for.

And if you are a power tribe that essentially took over the map... then keeping that status quo and living on the throne is delicious all by itself. "oh, but where is their pvp game if there is no threat to them???" 

Answer: On map # 2.

One more thing... I play exclusively PvE. That is my bag. I dig the community. But I do "get" what this game's PvP meta is about. Conquest. More power to them. Far be it from me to impose my gameplay style on their maps.

Regarding PvE... I cannot recall any bad interactions. Might be one or two, but they didn't stand out.

Anyone on PvE, I strongly recommend using a microphone. I've had players fly around my bases and land and do goofy stuff, and I greet them like a buddy. I'm thinking they just wanted to troll, but then I'm all neighborly and vocal... and then it becomes more interesting to BS for a few minutes. Sometimes they try and troll in voice, but I laugh along with it... and again... changes their whole mindset. Doesn't matter what nation they come from. Hell, especially from non-US contries.

Next thing you know, I have people that consider me a good muthafahker.

5 hours ago, maxplanck58 said:

I was lucky - I was a bob before the time of wyverns and manas, and when bases were out in the open instead of all in caves and rat-holes.

There's a certain care free charm to being a bob, knowing you really dont have much to lose. 

Can't wait to start fresh on Gen 2 for this reason.

The problem is that it's too easy to anonymously troll and transfer servers with no consequences for what you did as you will likely never interact with those people you trolled again. Before server transferring sure you could raid some stone bob and kill all his tames but not only was that kind of a pain for you (before the rates were bumped up to higher than old unofficial server rates) but also this person could rebuild, make allies, find your base location, hide in a different tribe, etc. all well getting larger and plotting months long revenge on you. I used to do this all the time and had a lot of glorious revenge moments. Unfortunately, the current meta is either be in a large tribe already and lockdown a server so you can transfer out and troll, or go do some favors for a big tribe to get a 450 neutered Mana, make some c4, server hop and troll/raid. If you lose the mana rinse and repeat. Hopefully in Ark 2 they will remove server transferring.

9 hours ago, Tylanater said:

The problem is that it's too easy to anonymously troll and transfer servers with no consequences for what you did as you will likely never interact with those people you trolled again. Before server transferring sure you could raid some stone bob and kill all his tames but not only was that kind of a pain for you (before the rates were bumped up to higher than old unofficial server rates) but also this person could rebuild, make allies, find your base location, hide in a different tribe, etc. all well getting larger and plotting months long revenge on you. I used to do this all the time and had a lot of glorious revenge moments. Unfortunately, the current meta is either be in a large tribe already and lockdown a server so you can transfer out and troll, or go do some favors for a big tribe to get a 450 neutered Mana, make some c4, server hop and troll/raid. If you lose the mana rinse and repeat. Hopefully in Ark 2 they will remove server transferring.

Couldn't disagree more about server transferring. 

Not about the trolling, you're right there, but hey that's PvP. Not to sound like too much of a jerk but if you can't handle your base getting smashed or your dinos getting sniped then don't play PvP. There is PvE for a reason.

Server transferring is what makes this game so much more fun for me and I haven't done a raid in well over a year. I just love being able to bounce around and play on different maps.

It completely opens up the game. Jump around aberration on my Drake one day, then go flying around CI on a dragon the next, then explore the ocean on Genesis with Speedy my dolphin. 

Maybe no server transfers worked back when the game had one map, but it's got far too much content now to be that restrictive. 

13 hours ago, St1ckyBandit said:

Couldn't disagree more about server transferring. 

Not about the trolling, you're right there, but hey that's PvP. Not to sound like too much of a jerk but if you can't handle your base getting smashed or your dinos getting sniped then don't play PvP. There is PvE for a reason.

Server transferring is what makes this game so much more fun for me and I haven't done a raid in well over a year. I just love being able to bounce around and play on different maps.

It completely opens up the game. Jump around aberration on my Drake one day, then go flying around CI on a dragon the next, then explore the ocean on Genesis with Speedy my dolphin. 

Maybe no server transfers worked back when the game had one map, but it's got far too much content now to be that restrictive. 

There's a lot of other ways they could solve the problem as well if they wanted to keep server transferring. Let people transfer their character but no dinos or items (which would also solve the issues of useless dinos eg. rock drakes on Ab because of manas and bloodstalkers),make a ton of clusters instead of being able to go to every server imaginable, maybe make your body/tribe log entries show more information about what server your attacker is from, force players to have unique names across the entire game, etc.  That's just what I thought of off the top of my head but they need to do something. Anonymous pvp isn't good for the game. A lot of the points you made are PvE related and I think transferring everything around actually ruins the PvE and PvP experience. Scorched is a garbage map even though it's my personal favorite because you're just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage if you play there. It's also meant to be difficult but it's not if you just transfer in god dinos from other maps (applies to all maps). Ab doesn't really have good progression and is ruined by manas and bloodstalkers. It would be much better if you could have bases on all maps but they had separate progression in my opinion. I think the proof of this is how much fun new dlcs are before people can transfer all the broken stuff into them.

1 hour ago, Tylanater said:

There's a lot of other ways they could solve the problem as well if they wanted to keep server transferring. Let people transfer their character but no dinos or items (which would also solve the issues of useless dinos eg. rock drakes on Ab because of manas and bloodstalkers),make a ton of clusters instead of being able to go to every server imaginable, maybe make your body/tribe log entries show more information about what server your attacker is from, force players to have unique names across the entire game, etc.  That's just what I thought of off the top of my head but they need to do something. Anonymous pvp isn't good for the game. A lot of the points you made are PvE related and I think transferring everything around actually ruins the PvE and PvP experience. Scorched is a garbage map even though it's my personal favorite because you're just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage if you play there. It's also meant to be difficult but it's not if you just transfer in god dinos from other maps (applies to all maps). Ab doesn't really have good progression and is ruined by manas and bloodstalkers. It would be much better if you could have bases on all maps but they had separate progression in my opinion. I think the proof of this is how much fun new dlcs are before people can transfer all the broken stuff into them.

What you see as a problem, I see as an 'open world' option. I prefer that, and I don't think I am in the minority. What other people do in their game is their business. If they want to enjoy AB on a mana, more power to them. You do you. Impose whatever restrictions you enjoy on your game. More power to you. But if you tell me YOU would have more fun if YOUR restrictions are on ME, then my response is that I'm 55 years old and I know what I like better then you.

1 hour ago, Ganelon said:

What you see as a problem, I see as an 'open world' option. I prefer that, and I don't think I am in the minority. What other people do in their game is their business. If they want to enjoy AB on a mana, more power to them. You do you. Impose whatever restrictions you enjoy on your game. More power to you. But if you tell me YOU would have more fun if YOUR restrictions are on ME, then my response is that I'm 55 years old and I know what I like better then you.

crotchety old grandpaie argument lol, not taking a stance on the argument as a whole, but restrictions on one party or another to ballance enjoyment for all is an necessity of balancing the game

Archived