i feel bad for all bobs

xXRegalEagleXxx

i recently got insided, so i was gonna go recruiting bobs, because u can teach them not to raid you, when i went onto another server withe armor and gear on my back and my only wyvern, they all ran and begged i didnt destroy thier houses, even after i said i was recruiting. it sucks but bobs dont trust anybody higher than a baryonyx

30 minutes ago, xXRegalEagleXxx said:

i recently got insided, so i was gonna go recruiting bobs, because u can teach them not to raid you, when i went onto another server withe armor and gear on my back and my only wyvern, they all ran and begged i didnt destroy thier houses, even after i said i was recruiting. it sucks but bobs dont trust anybody higher than a baryonyx

with good reason too.  i got my brother to start playing ark and he tried several different maps before settling on the island.  keep in mind he is playing PVE and each time his experience was the same.  someone would spot him and then start harassing him with their mounts, stuff like landing on him or pouncing so he couldn't move.  in one case, a tribe of 4 circled him and punched him repeatedly until he just layed down on the ground and went afk.  fortunately he stayed with it and now enjoys the game almost as much as me :)

I have to agree with this. I've played on a PVE server before and there is always some a** on the server terrorizing the beach bobs. It's a PVE server for a reason. I've noticed people sometimes building a box around an unconscious body. Usually I explore places using my direwolfs. If I notice someone terrorizing bobs, then I try to be nice and attack the terrorizer.

6 hours ago, xXRegalEagleXxx said:

If your looking to recruit, it might be a better idea to tame a titanasaur and then put a giant sign on its back "looking for tribe mates" then park it on the beach and leave it. :P

Bobs definitely need to be left alone, especially if they are just learning the game

What players don't realize is that killing / trolling new players (in any game) prevents new people from getting into it and causes the game to die a lot faster. More bobs = longer game lifetime = more DLC, so you're just shooting yourself in the foot by blowing up that stone mansion and their named trike 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Topherrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

Bobs definitely need to be left alone, especially if they are just learning the game

What players don't realize is that killing / trolling new players (in any game) prevents new people from getting into it and causes the game to die a lot faster. More bobs = longer game lifetime = more DLC, so you're just shooting yourself in the foot by blowing up that stone mansion and their named trike 

This is a survival game, they should know what they are getting into from the start. If anything, by killing new players, you teach them to get better.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

This is a survival game, they should know what they are getting into from the start. If anything, by killing new players, you teach them to get better.

Yeaaaaahh.....just so you know, my mom is the one who first started playing this game....at 60, she was curious why everyone was an asshat to her, and I had to get her to play single player before she would play again. soooooo.....

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, wizard03 said:

Yeaaaaahh.....just so you know, my mom is the one who first started playing this game....at 60, she was curious why everyone was an asshat to her, and I had to get her to play single player before she would play again. soooooo.....

db7.jpg

2 hours ago, Topherrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

That level of logic is already way too complex for the average bob terroizer enthusiast to follow or even grasp. 

You would have more luck explaining the theory or relativity to a 2 year old.

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Or you make them give up before they have been introduced to enough of the game to make them want to keep playing despite being targeted relentlessly by some 12 year old with a hard on for sadism and letting out his pent up frustrations on all the noobs.

See I agree with you that it is important to learn to deal with that stuff and embrace it as part of the game, but you must remember that not everyone has played a survival game before trying ark. Your reasoning would apply to new players who have already experienced a fair amount of the game and maybe met some players that have introduced them to parts of the game that make them want to experience more. If your first experience is some guy making sure you don't get past stone tools or a thatch 1x1 before you even get to explore more than the starting area of the map, well a good percent of those players are not going to see much point in sticking around. You want their first impressions to be filled with wonder and to be overall positive, then introduce them to the wall of excrement that is arks toxicity. That way the hook is already lodged and will hopefully be enough for them to want to stick around and see it through despite the bad stuff in the community which they will inevitably face.

• Volunteer Moderator
19 minutes ago, HoboNation said:

Or you make them give up before they have been introduced to enough of the game to make them want to keep playing despite being targeted relentlessly by some 12 year old with a hard on for sadism and letting out his pent up frustrations on all the noobs.

See I agree with you that it is important to learn to deal with that stuff and embrace it as part of the game, but you must remember that not everyone has played a survival game before trying ark. Your reasoning would apply to new players who have already experienced a fair amount of the game and maybe met some players that have introduced them to parts of the game that make them want to experience more. If your first experience is some guy making sure you don't get past stone tools or a thatch 1x1 before you even get to explore more than the starting area of the map, well a good percent of those players are not going to see much point in sticking around. You want their first impressions to be filled with wonder and to be overall positive, then introduce them to the wall of excrement that is arks toxicity. That way the hook is already lodged and will hopefully be enough for them to want to stick around and see it through despite the bad stuff in the community which they will inevitably face.

I can tell you never terrorized the beaches with a pack of vultures. Try it. Lot of fun!

On 10/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, xXRegalEagleXxx said:

recently got insided, so i was gonna go recruiting bobs

You must be a glutton for punishment.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:30 AM, XiaFang said:

he is playing PVE and each time his experience was the same.  someone would spot him and then start harassing him with their mounts, stuff like landing on him or pouncing so he couldn't move.  in one case, a tribe of 4 circled him and punched him repeatedly until he just layed down on the ground and went afk

You're saying in pve people can torpor you out? I don't think this is true, unless you meant he was playing pve style on a pvp server, in which case he must be a glutton for punishment.

On 10/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, AirplaneSlider said:

Usually I explore places using my direwolfs. If I notice someone terrorizing bobs, then I try to be nice and attack the terrorizer.

Have I slipped into an alternate reality? You cant attack someone on pve!

15 hours ago, sjskdjkfa said:

You must be a glutton for punishment.

You're saying in pve people can torpor you out? I don't think this is true, unless you meant he was playing pve style on a pvp server, in which case he must be a glutton for punishment.

By attack I mean find out where their base is and annoy them by leaving a bunch of random tames there. They can’t even kill my tames :) I know it is something pretty tedious to do but it’s fun annoying mean people

bobs or returning players will never have a chance. excisting tribes are way to far in the game. they destroy every stone building and starter tames. best thing to do is uninstall the game, if ur new or returning, its no point to build up anymore. excisting tribes have the best breeding stats. slot capped turret walls. mostly duped stuff aswell. from my opinion, all servers needs to be wiped. thats the only chance to get returning players or bobs into the game. ark devs accept meshing, duping, teaming on small tribes (wich is not allowed). aimbotting and so on. i get meshed like 6 times on ps4 and pc. i had slot capped deathwalls and all tek engrams aswell. they should refund the game to people, that cant play because of these monopolized servers. when i build a stone base, it will be destroyed within two hours. alpha tribes are scouting and flying around the map with a parasaur, to detect bobs or returning people.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:43 AM, Topherrrrrrrrrrrrr said:

trolling new players (in any game) prevents new people from getting into it and causes the game to die a lot faster.

I got into Ark for the dinosaurs, eye candy, breeding, and helping friends.

My first experiences in Ark was on a PvP server (where my gaming friends were) was so good, super kind. Some stranger offered to carry me with their argent to where I was looking to go, and they were genuinely kind. They flew me to where my friend was. I was an Anne (Bob) once. Now I have over 14k hours, my first experience was a good one.

I personally wish "survival" wasnt abused as if it was justification to make bad behavior appear acceptable.
People can choose to be kind. Being mean to someone is a choice.

What I quoted is unfortunately true in some cases. I bought a game (not Ark) that looked to have similar building mechanics to Ark, without any wild creatures to ruin my building/collecting/helping desires. I hopped on an official server trying to ask if the server was PvE, as one of the tags of this other game was PvE, but nothing on the servers indicated what mode each server was in. Only one other player on the whole server that I picked to try out, and he managed to kill me in just 15 mins of playing, shooting at my face while I walked up to him asking if it was PvE.
I asked for a refund, and Steam approved.

Server variants bring in more players.
PvE shouldnt be about being harassed by other players.
Harassment from other players is a choice, and a bad one.

Nothing in the world can ever justify mean behavior. Nothing.
No game, no game mode, no game name, nothing can make cruelty ever ok.

Edit to add:
My roomate likes the crafting and building. But he refuses to buy Ark for many reasons, one of these reasons is due to how frail the Bob is. Another is how easily broken this game can be, the immesurable amounts of losses due to poor programming and scheduling.
There's a chunk of cash Wildcard isnt getting because of the lack of a server where Bobs wont die.
A Peaceful server is very possible alongside all the other servers of mayhem and cruelty.
smh.
I continue to wish for peaceful Official Ark servers, so players like me, like my roomate, can enjoy the beauty (and crafting and breeding and other non-hostile things) this game has to offer with friends of like-minds. Seperate and far from all that hostile stuff.

58 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I got into Ark for the dinosaurs, eye candy, breeding, and helping friends.

My first experiences in Ark was on a PvP server (where my gaming friends were) was so good, super kind. Some stranger offered to carry me with their argent to where I was looking to go, and they were genuinely kind. They flew me to where my friend was. I was an Anne (Bob) once. Now I have over 14k hours, my first experience was a good one.

I personally wish "survival" wasnt abused as if it was justification to make bad behavior appear acceptable.
People can choose to be kind. Being mean to someone is a choice.

What I quoted is unfortunately true in some cases. I bought a game (not Ark) that looked to have similar building mechanics to Ark, without any wild creatures to ruin my building/collecting/helping desires. I hopped on an official server trying to ask if the server was PvE, as one of the tags of this other game was PvE, but nothing on the servers indicated what mode each server was in. Only one other player on the whole server that I picked to try out, and he managed to kill me in just 15 mins of playing, shooting at my face while I walked up to him asking if it was PvE.
I asked for a refund, and Steam approved.

Server variants bring in more players.
PvE shouldnt be about being harassed by other players.
Harassment from other players is a choice, and a bad one.

Nothing in the world can ever justify mean behavior. Nothing.
No game, no game mode, no game name, nothing can make cruelty ever ok.

Edit to add:
My roomate likes the crafting and building. But he refuses to buy Ark for many reasons, one of these reasons is due to how frail the Bob is. Another is how easily broken this game can be, the immesurable amounts of losses due to poor programming and scheduling.
There's a chunk of cash Wildcard isnt getting because of the lack of a server where Bobs wont die.
A Peaceful server is very possible alongside all the other servers of mayhem and cruelty.
smh.
I continue to wish for peaceful Official Ark servers, so players like me, like my roomate, can enjoy the beauty (and crafting and breeding and other non-hostile things) this game has to offer with friends of like-minds. Seperate and far from all that hostile stuff.

Sounds like you should have spent a min more looking at the login options, that guy wouldn't have been able to shoot you in the face on a real pve server.

13 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

that guy wouldn't have been able to shoot you in the face on a real pve server.

Indeed.

13 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Sounds like you should have spent a min more looking at the login options

I absolutely did, most of my gametime was spent in menus.
Before I joined, I had looked at the options (40 mins on record of my time in the game, only 15 min or less on a server) nothing in the menu was indicating what mode was on the many official servers. There were filter options, but nothing filtering a difference between PvE or PvP.
I hopped in with hope there was PvE since there was a PvE tag on the game, I couldnt find proof of PvE existing without PVP.

I'm glad Ark's menus do better at showing what mode their servers are in, than that other game.

16 minutes ago, GreenRoc said:

I'm glad Ark's menus do better at showing what mode their servers are in, than that other game.

Probably shouldn't ask what the other game was as that'd be off topic, but yea at least ark has this going for it. Curious if you've done ark pve as your previous post mentions experience with ark pvp and an not ark not pve... lol. Ark pve isn't all that bad, even if someone trys to troll you as a beach bob (or more advance) there isn't much they can do to you unless you do somethin dumb like leaving your door unlocked, there is a few other ways but all in all it's not to bad.

18 minutes ago, sjskdjkfa said:

Curious if you've done ark pve as your previous post mentions experience with ark pvp and an not ark not pve... lol. Ark pve isn't all that bad, even if someone trys to troll you as a beach bob (or more advance) there isn't much they can do to you unless you do somethin dumb like leaving your door unlocked, there is a few other ways but all in all it's not to bad.

I've been playing PvE Ark since 2015.
I started with PvP but I didnt stand long in that game type, I was only there because of my friends being there. I've not stepped in PvP Ark since that year, and I never plan to ever again.

I've DC'd on an Ark beach while trying to find my friend on PvE to add him to the tribe, and he was busy taming a dodo when I found him so I was helping keep watch over the area while fully geared with Flak. DC takes a minute or two to return, and by the time I logged back I was almost in the water by someone else dragging my body.

Ark has been like therapy for me. I seek eye candy pleasures and helping others and Building things in games, hoarding online to avoid RL clutter from my hoarding obsessiveness. Stress in-game from trying to avoid losses helping build my mental resilience with stress (why I keep putting up with Ark after all these years)... But this year I've been suffering heart issues, my RL body isnt as resilient as it used to be.

Upon the TLC3 announcement adding more stressful things to avoid loss, I have chosen very difficult choice to leave official Ark, for health reasons. A decision I have been struggling with, and wishing I didn't have to choose. I will bedhop for my tribemates, my friends, because I feel it would be rude of me to leave them with more stuff to do. Bedhopping is practically stress free, and helps. But playing with my tames and keeping things fed is no longer healthy and viable playing options for myself. I can only handle so much. I'd like to keep playing this gorgeous game, but all the stuff that I dont like, the stressors, it's grown to be too much for my heart to continue to deal with.

I known so many Beach Bobs who would like to play this game, but cannot handle the overall game with all the death and destruction included with this eye candy unlike anything else out there in the gaming world. 

On 10/30/2020 at 6:03 PM, sjskdjkfa said:

Dunno how similar it is to official, but I constantly give mom about 800 narco berries just for the lol's everytime she leaves her character sleeping in a bed while she goes and does stuff IRL.....she will come back and freak out about she is knocked out. o.o

12 hours ago, pvg103breda said:

bobs or returning players will never have a chance. excisting tribes are way to far in the game. they destroy every stone building and starter tames. best thing to do is uninstall the game, if ur new or returning, its no point to build up anymore. excisting tribes have the best breeding stats. slot capped turret walls. mostly duped stuff aswell. from my opinion, all servers needs to be wiped. thats the only chance to get returning players or bobs into the game. ark devs accept meshing, duping, teaming on small tribes (wich is not allowed). aimbotting and so on. i get meshed like 6 times on ps4 and pc. i had slot capped deathwalls and all tek engrams aswell. they should refund the game to people, that cant play because of these monopolized servers. when i build a stone base, it will be destroyed within two hours. alpha tribes are scouting and flying around the map with a parasaur, to detect bobs or returning people.

I personally have to argue that one.....started on official legacy PVE as a bob, got up to level 80, built a metal base, was looking at boss fights before I got a new ISP and couldn't connect to the server.
However to tell you how wrong this is, the very last thing I was able to tame up was a giga someone actually told me about, AND gave me free narco to help keep it knocked out.

Can't say all the servers are filled with asshats, just most of them.

I feel bad for bobs too. 

But I understand that if everyone is always nice to them they will never improve at the game. I remember being a Solo bob in PvP and coming across nice people who gave me custom food or a bit of hide. These encounters did make my bob ass enjoy the game more but the frequent offline raids made me a better player even though it angered me at the time I was determined to think up better strategies the next time I built a base. Slowly but surely I became a good ark player.

So when I see a bob I will raid them if I’m starting up but once I’m built up I tend to leave them be or throw them some metal tools. 

I don’t understand though how after 5 years there are still so many bad PvP players that build on the beach. There’s so much information on YouTube and the forums giving advice, base building tips and ways to hide loot or hide your base. With cryos being so easy to get now why don’t people just hide a few tames away so even if they get raided they will get straight back onto their feet

19 hours ago, LordRyot said:

I feel bad for bobs too. 

But I understand that if everyone is always nice to them they will never improve at the game. I remember being a Solo bob in PvP and coming across nice people who gave me custom food or a bit of hide. These encounters did make my bob ass enjoy the game more but the frequent offline raids made me a better player even though it angered me at the time I was determined to think up better strategies the next time I built a base. Slowly but surely I became a good ark player.

So when I see a bob I will raid them if I’m starting up but once I’m built up I tend to leave them be or throw them some metal tools. 

I don’t understand though how after 5 years there are still so many bad PvP players that build on the beach. There’s so much information on YouTube and the forums giving advice, base building tips and ways to hide loot or hide your base. With cryos being so easy to get now why don’t people just hide a few tames away so even if they get raided they will get straight back onto their feet

The problem is that most of these people are not going to make any  meaningful progress solo regardless.  They don't progress  from solo bob to Captain America because of skill.  Success is largely a function of getting into a big, powerful group and having the advantage of economies of scale and numbers  It's a group game and not really geared for individual players.

No matter what strategies you employ, short of abusing glitches, bugs, etc, you will get roflstomped.  And most hiding spots are known. 

On 11/2/2020 at 2:55 AM, Zeldei said:

The problem is that most of these people are not going to make any  meaningful progress solo regardless.  They don't progress  from solo bob to Captain America because of skill.  Success is largely a function of getting into a big, powerful group and having the advantage of economies of scale and numbers  It's a group game and not really geared for individual players.

No matter what strategies you employ, short of abusing glitches, bugs, etc, you will get roflstomped.  And most hiding spots are known. 

See the game wasn't always like this. At present officials basically have one real tribe per server, which would be the alphas. ANd bunch of thatch or stone bobs that are irrelevant. Back in legacy there would be multiple tribes per server and local politics and conflicts was quite interesting. And it was possible for a smaller tribe to carve out their own niche. You could build hidden because INI editing was not common. Breeding was very new and no one knew how to abuse it, so the gap between alpha tribe dinos and fresh dinos was lot smaller. Any one could join a server, tame some dinos, start grinding and compete. That was the real ark experience. The official pvp population much higher back in the past. Today offlicials are basically dead, as other than handful of megatribes no one plays.

Archived