Giant Fox

YourFavoriteOni

Suggestion

Found a post in one of the Ark groups I'm in on Facebook and they have been suggesting what players would like to see in the game and one of them seemed pretty plausable: The Giant Fox.

Though we have a Direwolf and it wouldn't be hard to make one look like a fox, the Giant Fox could be smaller than a Direwolf, but obviously bigger than your every day average fox. A lot of suggestions for abilities and if it would need a saddle or not have been mentioned as well. So, I'm posting this here as my take on the suggestion posted in the group.

A Giant Fox would make a pretty cool addition to the game and I have a few ideas for not only its abilities, but stats in relation to its bigger counterpart - Direwolves, and if it would need a saddle or not. So, here is my take:

Creature: Giant Fox

Biome: Redwoods

Stats at Level 150 Wild: HP - 250 | Stam - 480 | Oxy - 150 | Food - 1200 | Weight - 160 | Melee - 100 | Movement Speed - 115

Abilities: 2 Wall High Jump, Climbing, Creature/Item Bag location (Super Hearing and smell), and Stealth

Ridable: Yes

Breedable: Yes

Tame Method: Passive (Much like a Equus or Hyaenodon, if you don't sneak while taming it will run)

Saddle: Optional (Can wear a saddle but does not need one to ride, like the Equus)

Well, this is my take on it and personally I'd love to see a Giant Fox creature added to the game!!

Also this is open for discussion as well as a suggestion. It seems that the suggestion forums are more dead than death itself.

122046638_10218831163950308_4950717982530884509_n.jpg

25 replies to this server topic

First of all, the entire first part that talks about a nonexistent fox is invalid since the rest of ark is totally unrealistic, I mean riding on a pteranodon walking would break its back. It would have bad stats I agree, and it could be added to any map. Or multiple, Val seams fitting to me. It may need 1 more useful ability, but Sniffing out a body bag of a dead tame with 1000 element that doesn't have a beacon, Or your own bag if you have that disabled, is pretty usefull in my opinion. ESPECIALLY in the water. And “it’s not usefull” it’s a developing idea! If you think it’s not useful propose an idea you think would make it better.

21 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

You're gonna take this thing into water?

You want me to make a useful creature? Fine, I'll make a useful creature.

Giant Fox(Idk what to name this thing)

Nature: Skittish(Will flee from attackers, is attacked by wild predators)

Diet: Omnivore

Biome: Redwoods of Valguero(As an example)

Lvl 1 stats: 250 HP, 300 Stamina, 150 Oxygen, 1000 Food, 200 Weight, Base Damage 25, Movement Speed is around the same as an imprinted Dire Wolf, Torpidity 200. 

Giant Foxes are small(Tad smaller than the Saber) omnivores that roam the Redwoods hunting smaller animals(Dodos, Microraptor, Archaeopteryx, etc.) and foraging for berries. Predators like Terror Birds and Thylas will hunt and kill Foxes, as they sit very low on the food chain. When in a group, Foxes will defend each other(Like Morrelatops) but will always flee at 50% health, making resistance very minimal. 

To tame a Fox, you can passive tame it with any foods. Giant Bee Honey works best, but other foods like Mutton, Prime Meat, and Mejoberries work well too. To tame it, you must be level 10. They can be ridden without a saddle, but they do have a saddle unlocked at level 15. This saddle is very light, and only weighs 5 units, but also only grants 10 units of defense(This is not a combat mount). The saddle has a few abilities survivors may appreciate. It decreases the spoil timer on Raw Meat and Raw Fish Meat while increasing spoil timers on every other natural consumable(Excluding Wyvern Milk, Nameless Venom,Primal Crystals, Eggs, Jerkies, and Soups/Custom Recipes to not outcompete the Fridge). This saddle also reduces weight of all consumable resources by half to allow the Giant Fox to carry more of these resources without being encumbered. 

When tamed, the Giant Fox is a very agile mount. They are incredibly fast, and turn on a dime even when sprinting, making it easy to lose all but the fastest of wild carnivores. Foxes harvest all food resources quite effectively, though they lack in combat ability. Thanks to the powerful nose of the Fox though, this isn't a problem when you want to collect rare cuts of meat. Generally, Prime and Prime Fish are only received from certain animals. However, Foxes can sniff out traces of these cuts in animals that don't generally drop them, and can harvest these meats from such creatures as Dodos and Coelacanths. This isn't very effective, but keeps the Fox from fighting creatures like Carnos and Paracers which may be deadly to it while maintaining access to these resources. This is especially good for lower level players who may want these for taming creatures like Raptors and Baryonyx more efficiently.  

The Fox do have a considerable three wall jump, though this must be charged like the Procoptodon and Reaper. Their running jump is about four foundations long, which is a decent distance.  They also possess an alternate attack like the Raptor pounce in which they leap into the air and deal five times their normal damage to smaller targets, though this doesn't pin creatures that survive. If it kills a creature like this, it gains a minute long boost of 25% speed and 50% faster health regen. 

The Giant Fox is now an early game tame that can not only be used as a fast travel mount to get around the map and avoid stronger predators, but it also grants access to a few rarer resources early on and perhaps maintains use in the late game for spoiling common meats faster and being a rideable psuedo-fridge(Probably not good for PvP though). It isn't much of a combat mount, but it's utility is something I personally would kill for early game, even if I had to brave the Redwoods for it. 

This is how I would personally suggest this creature. Since it's not as strong as the Dire Wolf, I decided to give it its own niche as opposed to simply being a weaker wolf. 

Thank you for a helpful post that contributes to the convo!  I think this is a great idea! Can it still climb up stuff? Can it still smell body bags?

2 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Learn to read so you understand what your saying.

I entirely understand what I'm saying. What you're saying is you want a non-extant fox species of a size nowhere close to that of what any fox species has ever achieved with abilites that haven't been outlined at all, terrible stats for a 150 wild creature(Pretty sure Compies come out with more health than that) and literally no reason for being in the game whatsoever. So far it brings nothing unique to the table, and it would easily be just another medium sized carnivore that isn't used because the Dire Wolf and Thyla will be infinitely better in any situation you can name.

So excuse me for not liking a suggestion that would somehow pop out worse than the Liopleurodon, because at least that can get me some decent loot. 

On 10/21/2020 at 6:33 PM, YourFavoriteOni said:

Though we have a Direwolf and it wouldn't be hard to make one look like a fox, the Giant Fox could be smaller than a Direwolf, but obviously bigger than your every day average fox

Nope.... first of all you’d need a new tail, and second, no one like a duplicated mesh, you would want an entirely new model, just look at Tapajara/Trop

9 minutes ago, Dinobros2000 said:

Thank you for a helpful post that contributes to the convo!  I think this is a great idea! Can it still climb up stuff? Can it still smell body bags?

Can't climb stuff, that's why I made the jump a wall taller from the original post. Sure, it can smell body bags, why not I guess. 

This is a relly good post, one thing you should have added level 1 stats and not 150, tho... it is very detailed and good, a fox noise buff as Sam suggested would be a good idea, and any mount that can scene dropped bags and boxes and stuff I definitely want! Would it be tamed by sneaking behind it, or riding on it?

9 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

What would you say enforcer is?

Enforcer is kinda like a hybrid, because it initially has to teleport to a wall(Kinda like how the Ferox and Deinon have to jump) but then it becomes a full fledged 3d climber, whereas the Meglania, Rock Drake, and Climbing Picks don't have to transition like that(Climbing Picks kinda do, but that's just because of their general design)

5 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

They added mythical creatures. Once they did that, any argument is fairly invalid. Anything in Genesis or anything that is in the game but didn't either:
A. Exist in Earth's history
B. Isn't a mythic creature listed in historical books and fairy tales
Is basically original creations from Wild Card. What sort of harm would it do to add a creature that is based off of real world foxes?

No harm at all, except for literally any other part of my post. You know why I like the Genesis creatures? Or Griffins? Wyverns? Because they all have a good place in the game for what they are and their inclusion in the game is justified. You suggested a discount Dire Wolf whose only unique feature is to sniff body bags... which unless I need the two tranq arrows from a Raptor I just killed is pretty useless. 

Look, I'm all for new creatures we don't have already, but there's not much you can do with a fox that justifies its existence in a game that is chalk full of creatures who would out compete it just by existing. Like I said, why tame this thing when I could get a Wolf or Terror Bird and have it be a much more effective mount.

And what would this map spawn on? Can't be the Island, and you said the biome was the Redwoods, so now it can only be on the Center, Ragnarok, Valguero, or Crystal Isles. Center seems most likely as it has no unique creatures, but it's also the most neglected so I doubt it would be there. Rag and Valguero already have a unique creature, but those are pretty solid maps so it could be there. Crystal Isles is kinda borked, so half the Redwood biome doesn't fit this creature and its habitat. 

First of all, settle down people. Now as an idea, it’s not bad. 

One thing I would suggest, as someone who started off recently in both Valguerno and Crystal Isles, the redwoods have next to no easy tame creatures for beginners, despite that these maps start you in that environment all the traditional creatures used for the roles of easy, early tames that don’t require bolas and/or tranqs are not found here. These could be somewhere between a Dilophosaur and a raptor, slightly dangerous but not devastating. (Hide is also hard to get but not sure if this might help or not). A fox would be a great way to help newer accounts in these maps, as I’ve been rather frustrated trying to progress through them (there are areas with traditional early tames but none are in what you might consider safe areas) A passive tame for a rideable animal is unique, can make for a good starting creature for those starting off in the redwoods, and for more advanced players, it’s only real attribute can be its speed, lacking attack power and HP but it wouldn’t really matter because you’d have to catch the thing first. 

the main issue people seem to have here is what role it would play, that’s my suggestion on how to do it.

On 10/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, Qwertymine said:

I don't see the use in inventory bags because 1. Every server I've played has Body Bag beacons on and 2. I'm pretty adept at finding or remembering where body bags are, but I do suppose for other people it could be a legitimate want, so I might as well include it. 

Well some servers don’t, and I have trouble with tamed dino bags sometimes, especially if there was a body, it rolled, then got eaten by a predator, also this ability could extend to dead bodies too

On 10/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, Qwertymine said:

There's three kinds of climbing in the game. Sticking like the Deinon and Ferox, One Dimensional like the Thyla, and Three Dimensional like Climbing Picks, Megalania, and Rock Drakes. The only one of these that actively helps with scaling smaller objects is 3D climbing, and that just doesn't work for a Fox. That's why I made the jump three walls high, because many obstacles in Ark aren't much bigger than three walls. 

What I think you're really trying to get at is the number of angles a Fox can walk up. Some dinos like Terror Birds can get up cliffs others like Stegosaurus and Trikes cannot, and I do think that a Fox should have a fairly high degree limit as to what it can scale, though probably not above 85 degrees. 

I don't see the use in inventory bags because 1. Every server I've played has Body Bag beacons on and 2. I'm pretty adept at finding or remembering where body bags are, but I do suppose for other people it could be a legitimate want, so I might as well include it. 

My whole comment about how I would design the Fox is what I think works best for a creature of this caliber. Can't name much more without ripping on other creatures designs. Idk, maybe it could have Harvest Levels like the Moschops for resources like Mutton and Prime? Seems like a super underutilized concept in Ark, pretty sure it's only on the Theri and Moschops. 

What would you say enforcer is?

i think yes, better climbing ability 

hmmm yes harvest leavels, better at getting prime, and or hide for beach bobs.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:58 AM, YourFavoriteOni said:

There are also a lot of creatures in the game that, sure, have a single unique ability but are otherwise utterly useless. Otter? Freakin cute and adorable but has low hp and has a chance of getting you pearls upon killing fish.

I’m sorry I can’t not say anything about this anymore...  Otters are the best most amazing things EVER! First of all they are one of the cutes things ever, especially with the right hat,(Which can provide significant armor!) can give you free pearls and stuff, provide an insulation powerful enough to hatch eggs, and keep you warm! Store multiple artifacts in their inventory at once, and do a bit of melee against creature like bugs! And they can swim and move fast if you need that!

4 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

Knowing that foxes can climb, I do think it would be a good idea for it to be able to climb, just not exactly "stick" to the wall like say a Deinonychus.

There's three kinds of climbing in the game. Sticking like the Deinon and Ferox, One Dimensional like the Thyla, and Three Dimensional like Climbing Picks, Megalania, and Rock Drakes. The only one of these that actively helps with scaling smaller objects is 3D climbing, and that just doesn't work for a Fox. That's why I made the jump three walls high, because many obstacles in Ark aren't much bigger than three walls. 

What I think you're really trying to get at is the number of angles a Fox can walk up. Some dinos like Terror Birds can get up cliffs others like Stegosaurus and Trikes cannot, and I do think that a Fox should have a fairly high degree limit as to what it can scale, though probably not above 85 degrees. 

4 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

But I do agree, it can use more abilities unique to it. The thing is, what abilities?

My whole comment about how I would design the Fox is what I think works best for a creature of this caliber. Can't name much more without ripping on other creatures designs. Idk, maybe it could have Harvest Levels like the Moschops for resources like Mutton and Prime? Seems like a super underutilized concept in Ark, pretty sure it's only on the Theri and Moschops. 

14 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

I entirely understand what I'm saying. What you're saying is you want a non-extant fox species of a size nowhere close to that of what any fox species has ever achieved with abilites that haven't been outlined at all, terrible stats for a 150 wild creature(Pretty sure Compies come out with more health than that) and literally no reason for being in the game whatsoever. So far it brings nothing unique to the table, and it would easily be just another medium sized carnivore that isn't used because the Dire Wolf and Thyla will be infinitely better in any situation you can name.

So excuse me for not liking a suggestion that would somehow pop out worse than the Liopleurodon, because at least that can get me some decent loot. 

They added mythical creatures. Once they did that, any argument is fairly invalid. Anything in Genesis or anything that is in the game but didn't either:
A. Exist in Earth's history
B. Isn't a mythic creature listed in historical books and fairy tales
Is basically original creations from Wild Card. What sort of harm would it do to add a creature that is based off of real world foxes?

1 hour ago, Dinobros2000 said:

First of all, the entire first part that talks about a nonexistent fox is invalid since the rest of ark is totally unrealistic, I mean riding on a pteranodon walking would break its back. It would have bad stats I agree, and it could be added to any map. Or multiple, Val seams fitting to me. It may need 1 more useful ability, but Sniffing out a body bag of a dead tame with 1000 element that doesn't have a beacon, Or your own bag if you have that disabled, is pretty usefull in my opinion. ESPECIALLY in the water. And “it’s not usefull” it’s a developing idea! If you think it’s not useful propose an idea you think would make it better.

You're gonna take this thing into water?

You want me to make a useful creature? Fine, I'll make a useful creature.

Giant Fox(Idk what to name this thing)

Nature: Skittish(Will flee from attackers, is attacked by wild predators)

Diet: Omnivore

Biome: Redwoods of Valguero(As an example)

Lvl 1 stats: 250 HP, 300 Stamina, 150 Oxygen, 1000 Food, 200 Weight, Base Damage 25, Movement Speed is around the same as an imprinted Dire Wolf, Torpidity 200. 

Giant Foxes are small(Tad smaller than the Saber) omnivores that roam the Redwoods hunting smaller animals(Dodos, Microraptor, Archaeopteryx, etc.) and foraging for berries. Predators like Terror Birds and Thylas will hunt and kill Foxes, as they sit very low on the food chain. When in a group, Foxes will defend each other(Like Morrelatops) but will always flee at 50% health, making resistance very minimal. 

To tame a Fox, you can passive tame it with any foods. Giant Bee Honey works best, but other foods like Mutton, Prime Meat, and Mejoberries work well too. To tame it, you must be level 10. They can be ridden without a saddle, but they do have a saddle unlocked at level 15. This saddle is very light, and only weighs 5 units, but also only grants 10 units of defense(This is not a combat mount). The saddle has a few abilities survivors may appreciate. It decreases the spoil timer on Raw Meat and Raw Fish Meat while increasing spoil timers on every other natural consumable(Excluding Wyvern Milk, Nameless Venom,Primal Crystals, Eggs, Jerkies, and Soups/Custom Recipes to not outcompete the Fridge). This saddle also reduces weight of all consumable resources by half to allow the Giant Fox to carry more of these resources without being encumbered. 

When tamed, the Giant Fox is a very agile mount. They are incredibly fast, and turn on a dime even when sprinting, making it easy to lose all but the fastest of wild carnivores. Foxes harvest all food resources quite effectively, though they lack in combat ability. Thanks to the powerful nose of the Fox though, this isn't a problem when you want to collect rare cuts of meat. Generally, Prime and Prime Fish are only received from certain animals. However, Foxes can sniff out traces of these cuts in animals that don't generally drop them, and can harvest these meats from such creatures as Dodos and Coelacanths. This isn't very effective, but keeps the Fox from fighting creatures like Carnos and Paracers which may be deadly to it while maintaining access to these resources. This is especially good for lower level players who may want these for taming creatures like Raptors and Baryonyx more efficiently.  

The Fox do have a considerable three wall jump, though this must be charged like the Procoptodon and Reaper. Their running jump is about four foundations long, which is a decent distance.  They also possess an alternate attack like the Raptor pounce in which they leap into the air and deal five times their normal damage to smaller targets, though this doesn't pin creatures that survive. If it kills a creature like this, it gains a minute long boost of 25% speed and 50% faster health regen. 

The Giant Fox is now an early game tame that can not only be used as a fast travel mount to get around the map and avoid stronger predators, but it also grants access to a few rarer resources early on and perhaps maintains use in the late game for spoiling common meats faster and being a rideable psuedo-fridge(Probably not good for PvP though). It isn't much of a combat mount, but it's utility is something I personally would kill for early game, even if I had to brave the Redwoods for it. 

This is how I would personally suggest this creature. Since it's not as strong as the Dire Wolf, I decided to give it its own niche as opposed to simply being a weaker wolf. 

I love how detailed the post is. You have all the baseline information and reasoning. 😁

Personally, I would love to see a few more small-to-midsize creatures in the game. The end level beasts are nice, but a lot of the time they aren't what I use daily. 

And I unlike some who play the game, I am not convinced that the game should necessarily be strictly dino-oriented. I play the game for what I can do it in - not the background of the creatures. So even though this creatures seems a bit more modern than ancient - I like it. 

Now just a few questions for clarification, 

• I realize the saddle is optional, but where would you put it on the engram list if it existed? (level number) 
  • Since a few species of modern foxes can climb trees, would you have these to do so as well since you added them into the redwoods? 
  • Foxes are also rated to be a pretty noisey creature in the wild, would you think they would do well to have a noise that does a boost of some sort? 
  • They also have exceptional hearing, if you gave them an ability that uses that sense - what would you think it would be? 

Possibly unnecessary questions and/or abilities, but I thought I would check. Kinda like making the most of it. 

Either way, I like the idea.

11 hours ago, Qwertymine said:

Actually the harvest thing isn't a bad idea, and I can agree with the scaling abilities and jumping height. Now, for the invetory bag, I was going for it not just finding player bags but also bags from tamed dinos and enemy player inventory bags as well.

Also, with them being some pretty adept hunter, I think it would be cool to impliment a stealth ability that can be triggered like the Rock Drakes climbing ability or the Snow Owl's thermal vision.

On 10/27/2020 at 12:15 PM, Qwertymine said:

Can't climb stuff, that's why I made the jump a wall taller from the original post. Sure, it can smell body bags, why not I guess. 

Knowing that foxes can climb, I do think it would be a good idea for it to be able to climb, just not exactly "stick" to the wall like say a Deinonychus. I also think they should be able to jump at least 2 walls high, since foxes can jump pretty high IRL anyway. The sniffing out an inventory bag for anything, not just a human or tame, I personally think would be an amazing idea. But I do agree, it can use more abilities unique to it. The thing is, what abilities?

10 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

So, to answer these questions (I do want to state here and now that this is not an original idea of mine, it was from a post on Facebook but the abilities and details are mine).

• Saddle Engram could be learned between say levesl 25-35, but if I had to put it at a specific level, I'd have to say 21 or 22. There are a total of 4 engrams learned on these 2 levels and it would be after the smithy and forge. Since the saddle is optional, metal could be used to make the saddle to add a little bit of defence to the fox.
  • Yes! Even if they were made to not be able to climb straight up the massive redwood trees themselves, having them scale the sometimes dodgy terrain there would also benefit quite a bit as well.
  • If there were a noise that could be used to boost anything I'd have to say add a sort of "fear" affect, or something similar such as an "awareness" affect on enemy/wild creatures making them prone to "jump" or "scare" easier, affectively lowering their defences. Otherwise, it could just be a call to gather other tamed foxes to form a pack or some sort. Think of it as a fox only whistle!
  • Location, location, location!! Using their sense of smell and hearing would be extremely helpful in finding player bags and lost dinos. Something similar to the Snow Owl, it could be a mode they enter that could be called "Heightened Senses" that allows them to either sniff, or listen. Sniff would be used to find player bags and lost dinos, where listen could be used to locate hidden enemies that may be out of a players render/sight range. Foxes could also use their bark as a sort of warning, much like the Parasaur when its unmounted!

I don't think they're exactly unnecessary because they seem like fairly legit questions that I'd ask myself if I were a Dev and be putting this into the game myself. I'm not sure how well my luck is but I really am hoping a Dev sees this and consideres it!!

When I was looking into it, I used stats similar to a direwolf but the site I used seemed to only use stats of a level 150, so if it were a level 1 I'd have to divide the stats by about 3/4ths of what they are now, give or take. But you're right I should have put more thought into that part!

As for taming it, I'd have to say it would be best to sneak around it like the Hyaenodon but won't run if it bumps into you, it would only run if you stood up causing it to be scared off. Since I know foxes eat both berries and meat, it could be tamed using both and could have either a preferred berry/veggie, meat, kibble, or a favorite of each with each taking different times but being better than other foods.

Cool thanks for your clarification! Sounds even better now! 

3 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

Also, with them being some pretty adept hunter, I think it would be cool to impliment a stealth ability that can be triggered like the Rock Drakes climbing ability or the Snow Owl's thermal vision.

Feel like a stealth ability is more suited to Sabers. The Fox is fast and agile enough to chase down any would be prey without stealth. 

On 10/24/2020 at 11:47 AM, Qwertymine said:

No harm at all, except for literally any other part of my post. You know why I like the Genesis creatures? Or Griffins? Wyverns? Because they all have a good place in the game for what they are and their inclusion in the game is justified. You suggested a discount Dire Wolf whose only unique feature is to sniff body bags... which unless I need the two tranq arrows from a Raptor I just killed is pretty useless. 

Look, I'm all for new creatures we don't have already, but there's not much you can do with a fox that justifies its existence in a game that is chalk full of creatures who would out compete it just by existing. Like I said, why tame this thing when I could get a Wolf or Terror Bird and have it be a much more effective mount.

And what would this map spawn on? Can't be the Island, and you said the biome was the Redwoods, so now it can only be on the Center, Ragnarok, Valguero, or Crystal Isles. Center seems most likely as it has no unique creatures, but it's also the most neglected so I doubt it would be there. Rag and Valguero already have a unique creature, but those are pretty solid maps so it could be there. Crystal Isles is kinda borked, so half the Redwood biome doesn't fit this creature and its habitat. 

Island has redwoods? I get that you have your arguments but that just means you don't have to tame it IF it ever actaully got released. There are also a lot of creatures in the game that, sure, have a single unique ability but are otherwise utterly useless. Otter? Freakin cute and adorable but has low hp and has a chance of getting you pearls upon killing fish. Big whoop. And thats 1 example. The only other thing the otter can do is keep you warm. Archaeopteryx? Just eats chitin and can glide. Again, big whoop.

16 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I love how detailed the post is. You have all the baseline information and reasoning. 😁

Personally, I would love to see a few more small-to-midsize creatures in the game. The end level beasts are nice, but a lot of the time they aren't what I use daily. 

And I unlike some who play the game, I am not convinced that the game should necessarily be strictly dino-oriented. I play the game for what I can do it in - not the background of the creatures. So even though this creatures seems a bit more modern than ancient - I like it. 

Now just a few questions for clarification, 

• I realize the saddle is optional, but where would you put it on the engram list if it existed? (level number) 
  • Since a few species of modern foxes can climb trees, would you have these to do so as well since you added them into the redwoods? 
  • Foxes are also rated to be a pretty noisey creature in the wild, would you think they would do well to have a noise that does a boost of some sort? 
  • They also have exceptional hearing, if you gave them an ability that uses that sense - what would you think it would be? 

Possibly unnecessary questions and/or abilities, but I thought I would check. Kinda like making the most of it. 

Either way, I like the idea.

So, to answer these questions (I do want to state here and now that this is not an original idea of mine, it was from a post on Facebook but the abilities and details are mine).

• Saddle Engram could be learned between say levesl 25-35, but if I had to put it at a specific level, I'd have to say 21 or 22. There are a total of 4 engrams learned on these 2 levels and it would be after the smithy and forge. Since the saddle is optional, metal could be used to make the saddle to add a little bit of defence to the fox.
  • Yes! Even if they were made to not be able to climb straight up the massive redwood trees themselves, having them scale the sometimes dodgy terrain there would also benefit quite a bit as well.
  • If there were a noise that could be used to boost anything I'd have to say add a sort of "fear" affect, or something similar such as an "awareness" affect on enemy/wild creatures making them prone to "jump" or "scare" easier, affectively lowering their defences. Otherwise, it could just be a call to gather other tamed foxes to form a pack or some sort. Think of it as a fox only whistle!
  • Location, location, location!! Using their sense of smell and hearing would be extremely helpful in finding player bags and lost dinos. Something similar to the Snow Owl, it could be a mode they enter that could be called "Heightened Senses" that allows them to either sniff, or listen. Sniff would be used to find player bags and lost dinos, where listen could be used to locate hidden enemies that may be out of a players render/sight range. Foxes could also use their bark as a sort of warning, much like the Parasaur when its unmounted!

I don't think they're exactly unnecessary because they seem like fairly legit questions that I'd ask myself if I were a Dev and be putting this into the game myself. I'm not sure how well my luck is but I really am hoping a Dev sees this and consideres it!!

9 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

This is a relly good post, one thing you should have added level 1 stats and not 150, tho... it is very detailed and good, a fox noise buff as Sam suggested would be a good idea, and any mount that can scene dropped bags and boxes and stuff I definitely want! Would it be tamed by sneaking behind it, or riding on it?

When I was looking into it, I used stats similar to a direwolf but the site I used seemed to only use stats of a level 150, so if it were a level 1 I'd have to divide the stats by about 3/4ths of what they are now, give or take. But you're right I should have put more thought into that part!

As for taming it, I'd have to say it would be best to sneak around it like the Hyaenodon but won't run if it bumps into you, it would only run if you stood up causing it to be scared off. Since I know foxes eat both berries and meat, it could be tamed using both and could have either a preferred berry/veggie, meat, kibble, or a favorite of each with each taking different times but being better than other foods.

6 hours ago, YourFavoriteOni said:

Island has redwoods? I get that you have your arguments but that just means you don't have to tame it IF it ever actaully got released. There are also a lot of creatures in the game that, sure, have a single unique ability but are otherwise utterly useless. Otter? Freakin cute and adorable but has low hp and has a chance of getting you pearls upon killing fish. Big whoop. And thats 1 example. The only other thing the otter can do is keep you warm. Archaeopteryx? Just eats chitin and can glide. Again, big whoop.

Yeah, but fictional creatures don't go on the Island. And I would have to tame it for achievements and skins, and I like using every creature at some point(Except the Lio, I tame those and leave them to die). Can't imagine thinking the Otter of all creatures is useless when it's likely the best shoulder mount if you aren't on Aberration. Yeah, Archaeo sucks, but it needs one simple change and it becomes an amazing creature for being a free parachute whenever you want. And breaking down a creature in such an uncomprehensive way isn't a good way of analyzing the game.

Like if I said your fox only jumps decent and smells for things well, that's an inaccurate and biased way of analyzing your suggestion. What I said is that it's abilities wouldn't allow it to compete with creatures who just do it better like the Wolf and Thyla, which is the hallmark of a wasted space on the roster. Otters and Archaeos have their own space that they don't need to compete for, but the role of small/medium semi-beginner mount has some fierce competitors like the Raptor, Saber, and Dire Wolf, all of which can easily be powerful pack hunting beasts or caving mounts if you get some early breeding going. Why sniff a body bag when I can sniff out explorer notes and injured opponents, why take a frail weak mount then I could role up with a pack of Sabers and tear the place up? You see my reasoning here? The Fox enters into a very competitive spot on the roster, especially if it spawns in a biome as dangerous in the early game as the Redwoods. Don't know if you've seen my suggestion for a Giant Fox, but give it a look and see if that checks the boxes for you, as that's what I think this creature needs to carve out its own unique place in the game. 

Archived