Beginning in ark breeding

arkbeginnervicmcm

Hey everyone. Fairly new to Ark, level 101. I play offline, ragnarok. I have several dinos. Rex's in particular. All caught at low levels, and bred suscessfully on fires. I became a tad addicted and we now have a metal structure with A/C. However I want to breed super Rex's for stats and we don't know where to start. 

For start, we bred one of our own dinos and put in the the breeding room and the ac didn't change a thing for the egg. We needed open fires. So can someone tell about AC, how it works and how to get these eggs to be at the right temp? 

Then onto my second issue, super Rex's, fairly confident on catching them with all of our people on, but it's finding them, I've heard you kill all the low level Rex's in the area and return, rise and repeat until you get the desired level. Is this true? 

Fairly slow, so if you could explain in easiest terms until I get to grips.

Thanms guys. X

ACs provide the same insulation as a fire, but for heat and cold. I normally build a large U shape out of ACs and put the eggs inside, or for large scale breeding put them under the floor of a breeding room so they insulate anything in the room. The further an egg is to an AC the less warmth it receives. 15 ACs can usually hatch any type of egg.

When taming rexes, always kill the low levels. Only a certain number of rexes will spawn at a given time so kill anything that is too low level.

Thank you, I'll install more A/C units. Really silly question. Once I have more do I just put it in the middle then the Rex egg will hatch & stay warm and healthy in the process or do I need to do anything to make it hot or cold? 

Also brilliant, I'll go on a hunt tonight and kill some low levels then check again a bit after that 

2 hours ago, arkbeginnervicmcm said:

kill some low levels then check again a bit after that 

Kill everything, cause even non rex animals in your hunting area will prevent rex from spawning, because bad programming... basically they ought to have a pigeon hole concept in the code per type of dino, where if you kill a bunch of stuff, e.g. mostly rex and a few parasaurs - the respawning mechanic would spawn a few parasaurs and mostly rex. But instead you can get any dino respawning till the area has its full amount of dino and if rex didn't respawn then you have no rex.

2 hours ago, arkbeginnervicmcm said:

do I just put it in the middle then the Rex egg

make the ac units into like a u shape with the middle of the u big enough to hold several eggs. Pro tip: when installing your first few ac units it is very informative to look into your players inventory and look for his insulation stat, right where you would look when puttin armor to insulate your player. This same stat is affected by ac/ fire, but ac will increase both hypo and hyper. Slap in an ac unit and walk around your base checking that stat so you can get an idea of how powerful that ac is and what its radius is, and after you have your u shape standing in the center you should check the number should be very high. Not sure how high you'd need but in my incubator I think the insulation is like 4k + and it can incubate any egg... someone else wanna comment on that?

2 hours ago, Joebl0w13 said:

Nope, just set the eggs close. They lose effectiveness the further you get away from them.

^^^ this. Basically your eggs have a preferred temperature range. Most fires increase hypothermal insulation so they can make the egg take less damage from having to little heat. Acs are preferred because they have a more powerful effect and increase both types making it so you can basically forget about temperatures.

22 hours ago, arkbeginnervicmcm said:

However I want to breed super Rex's for stats and we don't know where to start.

The best place to start is by watching a couple of good videos about breeding, you'll probably learn more from a good video than even the best written description. Personally I recommend the breeding series (6 videos) that was created by TimmyCarbine.

For start, we bred one of our own dinos and put in the the breeding room and the ac didn't change a thing for the egg. We needed open fires. So can someone tell about AC, how it works and how to get these eggs to be at the right temp?

Just put a group of AC's in a small cluster, right next to each other and set the egg next to them. Usually 4 AC's is good enough, but if you're on a map with extreme temperatures, like Scorched Earth, or if you have an egg that requires extreme temperatures, you might need to put 6 AC's in a cluster.

Then onto my second issue, super Rex's, fairly confident on catching them with all of our people on, but it's finding them, I've heard you kill all the low level Rex's in the area and return, rise and repeat until you get the desired level. Is this true?

Yes, it's true.

Each spawn point in the game can only spawn a limited number of animals, which means that you need to kill the nearby animals in order for it to spawn new ones. Every time it spawns something the level of the new animal is random so you need to keep killing animals in the area until you get a luck level.

And don't just kill rexes, kill everything nearby. Each spawn point spawns multiple species, if you only kill the rexes then other animals will get spawned that take up available room from that spawn point.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:42 AM, arkbeginnervicmcm said:

For start, we bred one of our own dinos and put in the the breeding room and the ac didn't change a thing for the egg. We needed open fires. So can someone tell about AC, how it works and how to get these eggs to be at the right temp?  Then onto my second issue, super Rex's, fairly confident on catching them with all of our people on, but it's finding them, I've heard you kill all the low level Rex's in the area and return, rise and repeat until you get the desired level. Is this true? Fairly slow, so if you could explain in easiest terms until I get to grips. Thanms guys. X

Ok, as for AC units, you will need more than just one, and typically in a U shape.....I like to go overkill and put a ceiling tile "just" above the main U shape hatchery, and put as many AC units on it too to make it perfect for any and all egg hatching. Obviously if you want to hatch an egg, take it and put it in the very middle of the U of the AC units and it will be the perfect temp. Example below:

X..X
X..X
XXX

As for getting Good rex's, Iv noticed that even on the island, they sometimes spawn in the weirdest locations, so don't rely on one specific location. Cruise around and give everything a look over instead of farming one spot. With that said, yes. The typical run down is to kill off the low levels, and then check back awhile later.....Maybe 5-10 minutes or so.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Oldster said:

For reference I have 5 AC units and my Rex eggs STILL get too cold during "cold snaps." So eyeball them occasionally during the coldest mornings (this is on Island at sea level).

Most use 10-15 of them. 

Works for all eggs in all environments. 

Archived