Structure Loading

ac273

I read about the new grid system, but additionally can you add an option that doesn't unload structures for PCs capable of holding more of the game in memory? It is frustrating and silly to run across your base and back only to have the side you left unloaded. A PC with 32 or 64 gigs of memory should be more than capable of holding structures in memory and only dumping those furthest from the player when neccessary.  Wouldn't such a system lower the stress on the server and reduce lag and render times, especially when teleporting? Falling through and getting stuck in structures not loaded is an issue for many people.

• Volunteer Moderator
37 minutes ago, ac273 said:

A PC with 32 or 64 gigs of memory should be more than capable of holding structures in memory and only dumping those furthest from the player when neccessary.

That's not how a client/server/networking version of a game like this works.

For example, when you are back in render range, that structure may no longer be there (removed or destroyed). The only way to know is by asking the server. That load on the server is a necessary evil.

27 minutes ago, Joebl0w13 said:

That's not how a client/server/networking version of a game like this works.

For example, when you are back in render range, that structure may no longer be there (removed or destroyed). The only way to know is by asking the server. That load on the server is a necessary evil.

I had to discuss with my tribemates on official pve about removing sections of our inherited base to reduce the width of one of our main structures. The distance from one end to the other de-renders whatever side I am farthest from, and turning my base would freeze my game due to re-rendering pieces that were behind me. The changes to the rendering system have improved loading times alot, but the far end of this specific base still de-renders, and my client still freezes loading the thing.

Necessary evil indeed, I do not disagree.

Archived