Ankylosaurus

SpiritCloud

Put all anky points in damage. I have a massive flying base with a quetzal that has 4k weight. I carry all resources on that. If you don't have a quetz, an argent is better (?) since it gets a weight reduction, but it doesn't have as much weight. Sure you can pump all weight into an argy to be as good as a quetz in weight but you will have to make pit stops before you can finish sipping your coffee :)

9 minutes ago, AirplaneSlider said:

Put all anky points in damage. I have a massive flying base with a quetzal that has 4k weight. I carry all resources on that. If you don't have a quetz, an argent is better (?) since it gets a weight reduction, but it doesn't have as much weight. Sure you can pump all weight into an argy to be as good as a quetz in weight but you will have to make pit stops before you can finish sipping your coffee :)

Honestly I always had a team of argies....they do reduce the weight of many resources including metal and metal ingot, but with 5-7 argies, you can carry 600 raw metal each and still fly at full speed
With that said tho, can't argue against a fully weight leveled quetz. From picking up an overloaded argy to being able to build a mobile air base, you really can't beat that. Heck, throw a couple primitive forges ontop of the platform saddle, and not only can you harvest the metal, but also cook it down into ingots!

I find Quetzs much harder to control when picking up and dropping Ankies. Argies are much easier for placing the anky right where you want it. Could just be me though. 

I like to tame and level one argie purely for Anky-carrying and the Anky purely for damage.

When I say 'Purely", I level up both their health to a point where they will survive a surprise attack from any nearby dinos I missed. The high damage Anky will usually make short work of them, or at least it gives me time to get back on the Argie and bug out. I tend to set the Argie on Passive and the Anky on attack my target. This way if I suddenly get hit by something, I am never too far from the Argie (rather than chasing after the idiot).

I recently zeroed and restarted and currently have an Anky with 5k health (more than it needs really) and 600 damage and more importantly, an Argie with 2.5k Health, 2k weight and 2k Stamina (Nice to have a fair bit so you can get to abd from your base without too much messing about). I can collect around 6k metal in a single round trip. I'm always a bit paranoid about losing my best miner to a rogua alpha spawn hence the high health. Realistically, 2.5 would be enough for my current difficulty settings with even more in damage.

But as Wizard says, don't waste levelling points on weight or stamina on the Anky, they fill up so quick. Better to get more resource out of each outcrop and let your carrier do the heavy lifting.

Also, if you haven't done so, consider base location. Always nice to have a base near resource of course, but if that wasn't how it worked out, build a resource specific outpost.

Final thought, don't underestimate the power of cryopods. Great way to carry a dino to a location or store them when not in use, not eating whilst still levelling.

This is just my way though, I'm sure there are many others that work just as well if not better depending on your particular gaming style and strategy.

2 hours ago, wizard03 said:

Honestly I always had a team of argies....they do reduce the weight of many resources including metal and metal ingot, but with 5-7 argies, you can carry 600 raw metal each and still fly at full speed
With that said tho, can't argue against a fully weight leveled quetz. From picking up an overloaded argy to being able to build a mobile air base, you really can't beat that. Heck, throw a couple primitive forges ontop of the platform saddle, and not only can you harvest the metal, but also cook it down into ingots!

Yeah I keep 5 forges in my flying base equipped with sparkpowder. Wood will weigh too much if you want to be efficient with the metal. On the top floor there is a dino storage where I keep an anky and argent. The quetz never lands, and so I clear out bad things with the argent and then take the anky down to harvest. 

3 hours ago, Zoglet said:

I find Quetzs much harder to control when picking up and dropping Ankies. Argies are much easier for placing the anky right where you want it. Could just be me though. 

WIth quetz, it's best to build on the platform a nice square w/ walls on each front corner.  Set anky in one of those front corners.  THen you fly so that anky on the corner is aimed at the mountain sides you are harvesting from.  It takes some getting used to flying the anky around like this, but it is very doable and works great for a 2 person team on the island.

As far as the cap goes - I charted the metal gained on a spread sheet from 740% up.  The graph looks like a side view of stairs.  Over time the steps slowly start to take on more points to get the benefits to increase.  Not each point will yield any change, but then that 5th one does.  There were significant gains all the way up to 1000% melee even though it was very much a diminishing returns situation.  With nowhere else to spread points really, I'd say there's no harm in reaching 2000% melee.  Also, high melee means you don't have to worry too much about a stray wild carnivore.  All my data was on abberation, it could be that you would only see the benifits on aberration.  I think the metal nodes on the island are different from ab, and it's possible my data is meaningless there.

2 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Nope. My 1400 m Anky gets way more metal than my 700 m anky did and more metal than my 1k m anky did. No cap from my experience.

There is no cap but a soft cap like GrumpyBear explained. Also soft cap heavily depends on what you a r mashing. So in the end its all on player to decide if its worth to put 5 points into the stat and gain same benefit as 1 point before softcap.

• Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Nope. My 1400 m Anky gets way more metal than my 700 m anky did and more metal than my 1k m anky did. No cap from my experience.

The cap is really two times the harvest health of the nodes themselves. Once you are able to harvest a node in a single swipe, you will notice higher results from then to twice that melee. For example, if you can harvest that node in a single swipe at 350%, then going higher than 700% won't have much if any difference. This is likely just going to affect your chance of being on the high end of the randomizer. If the damage had a direct impact, I would get much more from a node with this anky:

DE6F29F7759C69D7BBB6BC5580592281370A0490

Than I do with this one:

A92D9216F2EE00104E38F88B4A5F6A17053B079E

Yet the yielded amount is always between the same range from the same nodes. So yeah, it really depend of the nodes and maps you are harvesting rather than a generic melee. For instance, some rich nodes on Ragnarok can't be harvested in a single swipe at 1.2k melee, etc.

Anyways, weight on anky is a waste. Just use a weight argy and a whip if you are solo farming; much more efficient than walking from nodes to nodes.

On 10/12/2020 at 5:24 PM, GrumpyBear said:

WIth quetz, it's best to build on the platform a nice square w/ walls on each front corner.  Set anky in one of those front corners.  THen you fly so that anky on the corner is aimed at the mountain sides you are harvesting from.  It takes some getting used to flying the anky around like this, but it is very doable and works great for a 2 person team on the island.

As far as the cap goes - I charted the metal gained on a spread sheet from 740% up.  The graph looks like a side view of stairs.  Over time the steps slowly start to take on more points to get the benefits to increase.  Not each point will yield any change, but then that 5th one does.  There were significant gains all the way up to 1000% melee even though it was very much a diminishing returns situation.  With nowhere else to spread points really, I'd say there's no harm in reaching 2000% melee.  Also, high melee means you don't have to worry too much about a stray wild carnivore.  All my data was on abberation, it could be that you would only see the benifits on aberration.  I think the metal nodes on the island are different from ab, and it's possible my data is meaningless there.

Its super hard to get even 1,000% melee. How are you getting 2,000%?

2 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

babies out on official pve is at 1092, we have a little higher.  that's around 1300% after full imprint.  2k is cake.

Oh right. I'm playing on singleplayer and my highest melee dino is like 62 points into melee at hatch? I've done alot of mutation stacking on my argents lol

1 hour ago, Leys said:

I thought there were a cap when damage become useless..

Then i tried an ankylo with mate boost and yuti -> more damage you have more ressources you get (for metal / flint and shards)

That's defiantly the sign right there, if there was a cap, the yuty yelling shouldn't have effected anything.

However I got to say, thats quite a clever trick into getting more melee. Im impressed!

Stupid question....just learned about body bags after a year of ark, and it is patched......IS there a better way of transferring a vault of metal onto a tame?

Transferring a chest of metal takes me forever....chest inventory to my character’s inventory into tame inventory etc.

IT always goes thru the character inventory correct?  So if my weight is only 200lbs, I have to only pull one metal stack out since I’m maxed out or encumbered, turn to tame and deposit in its inventory?

Is there a way while riding a tame to go up to a vault and transfer directly into the tame?

Thanks.

• Volunteer Moderator
44 minutes ago, Voidableant said:

Stupid question....just learned about body bags after a year of ark, and it is patched......IS there a better way of transferring a vault of metal onto a tame?

Transferring a chest of metal takes me forever....chest inventory to my character’s inventory into tame inventory etc.

IT always goes thru the character inventory correct?  So if my weight is only 200lbs, I have to only pull one metal stack out since I’m maxed out or encumbered, turn to tame and deposit in its inventory?

Is there a way while riding a tame to go up to a vault and transfer directly into the tame?

Thanks.

Drop single bags and use a whip. There is no weight check and you can carry 299 slots of anything in your inventory. Then you can use tek pants to move around or ask a tribemate to punch or knock you out and drag you around.

45 minutes ago, Voidableant said:

Thanks.

Tek leggings

Archived